Start by marking “A Troop Is a Group of Monkeys” as Want to Read:
A Troop Is a Group of Monkeys

A Troop Is a Group of Monkeys

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Young readers will learn many collective nouns used for groups of animals… everything from a “troop of monkeys” to an “ostentation of peacocks” to a "shiver of sharks." Even parents will learn a word or two in this fun and interactive romp through the animal kingdom! Stunning watercolor illustrations from Pamela Baron.
Published October 15th 2013 by Little Bahalia Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Troop Is a Group of Monkeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Troop Is a Group of Monkeys

Vivian Kirkfield
Young kids love picture books! As a former kindergarten teacher and a mom and grandmother, I want a picture book to be entertaining. I'd also like it to be educational. I need the illustrations to be bold, vivid and fun!

A Troop is a Group of Monkeys gets FIVE STARS in every category. My five-year old grandson loved the beautiful language the author uses - and so did I. We both learned new collective nouns for many of the animal groups. I did not know that a bunch of butterflies is called a kalei
Laurie Mekelburg
This book has such rhyming and colorful words that any child would enjoy sounding them out. I especially enjoy the pictures that shows my grandchildren the animals we are reading about.
Ed Biggs
Jul 23, 2014 Ed Biggs rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents, children, teachers, lovers of language
Shelves: picture-books
As a parent and teacher and lover of children's books, I'm always surprised and delighted when a book grabs my attention with its language and playfulness. Julie Hedlund's A TROOP IS A GROUP OF MONKEYS does that and makes me wish I was still in the classroom. But I can still share this with my teacher friends and their young children and know it will be appreciated and reread multiple times.

Other reviews mention some factual issues with illustrations ( i.e. Asian camels in Africa), but I like th
Heidi Yates
I really like the way “A Troop is a Group of Monkeys” is written. I am sure many people, myself included, have made up animal group terms for their kids. It was fun and educational to get to learn what some common (and uncommon!) animal groups are really called. In addition to naming each group, the author weaves the group name into a sentence with an action that animals would engage in. This makes each sentence full of fascinating information. The descriptions are composed in a rhyming narrativ ...more
Alinka Rutkowska
Did you know that a group of owls is called a "parliament"? I didn't and I'm an author! But I do now. There are a lot of BIG words here (a little too many) so even parents will expand their vocabulary. This is a rhyming story with one line of text per page and the rhyme is very pleasant to the ear. My daughter loves to point out animals and make funny sounds and this book gives plenty of opportunities to do so.

The author even mentions a "gam of whales," which makes my heart sing as I am a big wh
Damon
A fabulous picture book with color rich illustration and whimsical rhyme and rhythm describing animal groups. My granddaughter loves the book. Highly recommended! - Damon Dean
Julie Rowan-zoch
Nothing I love more than a well-illustrated book that has interest for both parent and child. Learning new words through rhyme while enjoying bright whimsical illustrations!
Pamela

As a teacher of early learners, I know this book will spark amazing questions and ongoing conversations. How can it not? I mean, “A fever of stingrays? A cloud of grasshoppers?” Who would’ve guessed that a group of seahorses is actually called a herd? I love learning these collective nouns. What I know for sure is that children love learning new words as they explore their world. And this book certainly offers rich new words, page after page. I am already anticipating the excitement of reading t
Tina
Brightly-colored illustrations and playful collective nouns make this a really beautiful picture book, perfect for reading aloud.
Tina Cho
A Troop Is a Group of Monkeys is a beautifully written picture book for young children. What child wouldn’t fall in love with the gorgeous colors on each page full of animals? Not only are the rhymes fun to say, but readers of all ages will learn collective nouns from this book. I would love to hang the illustrations on my wall! This book is perfect for little kids learning about animals and older kids who want to learn collective nouns for research. Excellent book by Julie Hedlund and Pamela Ba ...more
Julie Grasso
I really enjoyed this vibrant picture book. The rhyme is delightful, but also very educational. I have to admit, I did not know even half of these collective nouns. Each animal is depicted in their home environment and I found myself as interested in the animal as much as their environment. This makes a great read aloud, as children learn to explore the variety of collective nouns, along with the a huge range of weird and wonderful animals that populate the vast world that we live in.
Gabrielle
With colorful illustrations and ear-pleasing rhymes, A Troop Is a Group of Monkeys is a fun and educational read-aloud picture book. I had no idea that a group of butterflies can be called a "kaleidoscope" or that the collective noun for skunks is "surfeit." Kids and adults alike will enjoy this book. I was half-expecting the book to end with interesting word(s) for a group of humans, but I also like the actual ending with its call to respect and protect wild animals.
Joanne Sher
What a delightful read - and much to learn - of course, in a fun way. Julie Hedlund shares some fascinating names for groups of different animals (did you know that a group of peacocks is called an ostentation?), gives a bit of information on the animals, and does it all in light, rhyming, rhythmic text. The illustrations are gorgeous as well - and the book even meets Common Core standards. A lovely, fun book all around. Any kid (or adult!) would enjoy this, I think!
I very seldom give out 5 stars for books, but this one is a winner. I love picture books that are both entertaining and educational, without a child realizing it is educational. This is both. I love the rhyme and I had no idea that a group of flamingos was called a Flamboyance! But I think what captured my heart the most about this book was the ending, which I will not mention here.
Maria Marshall
This book combines beautiful illustrations of animal families, delightful alliteration, and some of the funniest names for "groups" of animals you can imagine. Who knew they were a "smack" of jellyfish? The calming rhymes make this both a wonderful bedtime book and a story that teaches us all something new. It is definitely worthy of a place on our shelves.
Teacher 007.5
A Troop is a Group of Monkeys is a great introduction to collective nouns for young children. Rhyming text, colorful and fun illustrations will have kids giggling and having fun saying some of the words. I enjoyed learning the various collective nouns in this book, some were quite unique, I never would have guessed many of them. :)
Smschade
My kids and I love the sing along app! I like children's books that expand their vocabulary and even older kids can turn this into a game and quiz each other. The music is fun, energetic and makes you want to sing along. In fact, sometimes my kids are not even around and I play it.
Elaine
Brightly-colored illustrations and playful collective nouns make this not only a beautiful picture book, but educational too. A perfect choice for reading aloud. Meets Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.2.1.A- Use collective nouns (e.g., group).
Teresa
Parliaments, pandemoniums, and floats, OH MY! Collective nouns abound. Delightfully colorful illustrations and a soothing rhythm of words (&rhyme), make this a read and re-read kind of book. Both children and adult readers will find fulfillment in color, language, and learning.
Doreen Lepore
Julie Hedlund shares her love of animals with this poetic picture book that introduces us to the family names of some of our favorite creatures. Pamela Baron’s brilliant watercolors make every page a feast for the eyes. I’m particularly fond of the flamboyance of flamingos!
Diane Kress Hower
Jul 20, 2014 Diane Kress Hower rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, librarians, teachers
Great layering of new information and entertaining use of words makes Julie Hedlund's book a great addition to any home or school library. Lively art with strong use of color, line, and shape combined with the playful words makes this fun for the reader and the child on your lap.
Lisa Rose
Once again, Hedlund describes the different groups of animals with fun rhymes. Children love animals and funny word play. My daughter, fell in love with A SHIVER OF SHARKS, I am sure she will like this one too. The music and touch graphics also adds to the appeal.
Gretchen Hall
Even though my children are basically out of picture books, they both love this one! At breakfast they were quizzing one another on the group names for animals. A beautiful, colorful, wonderful book, Troop is a must-have addition to every home library!
Danielle Dufayet
I loved this book. I loved the simplicity and it was so informative. I learned a lot! I especially loved the illustrations that conjured up warm feelings of "family". I can tell the author really loves and cares for the animals of the earth.
Susie
A cute and colorful book that teaches kids (and adults) different names for animal groupings. Educational and fun. I once dove in an ocean full of jellyfish and never before knew that a group of them was called a “smack”. Definitely worth a read!
Carrie Charley Brown
At long last, I finally seized my copy of Troop! (Thanks to my school district for putting an iPad in my hands!) My first grade class began a journey into living vs. nonliving and landed on the study of animal characteristics. Julie Hedlund's app was the perfect compliment as we ventured to the zoo. The sound effects put us right smack dab in the middle of each animal group! Who knew that a group of owls is a parliament and parrots are a pandemonium? I love the knowledge and rich vocabulary that ...more
Zainab
This book is very informative. I can imagine preschoolers loving this book and learning from it as much as their teachers and parents will.
Great book with sweet and soft language.
Sue Poduska
Great as a beginning point for study of animals or as a supplement to such a unit. The text is lyrical yet informative rhyme. The illustrations are colorful and entertaining.
Krista Mcmorran-maus
A TROOP IS A GROUP OF MONKEYS does a wonderful job of teaching collective nouns using a simple rhyming text.
Kirsten
Beautifully written. Great bedtime story and interesting for adults as well!
  • No Matter What
  • Sci-fi Shapes (My Little Geek, #3)
  • Writing Picture Books: A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication
  • The Night the Moon Ate My Room
  • The Day No One Played Together: A Story about Compromise
  • The Otter, the Spotted Frog & the Great Flood: A Creek Indian Story
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • The Chain Letter
  • Escape From The Forbidden Planet
  • Draw What You See: The Life and Art of Benny Andrews
  • You Can Write Children's Books
  • Attack of the Growling Eyeballs
  • No More Diapers for Ducky!
  • The Colourblind Chameleon
  • Ick! Yuck! Eew!: Our Gross American History
  • The Hedge of Thorns
  • Audrey Bunny
  • Christmas Parade
7319311
Julie Hedlund is a children's book author who lives with her own troop of two children and a large and very misbehaved dog. Her latest book, MY LOVE FOR YOU IS THE SUN has been hailed as belonging on the shelf "between Guess How Much I Love You and Goodnight Moon." Her book, A TROOP IS A GROUP OF MONKEYS hit bookstores in October 2013, and is based on her two popular and critically-acclaimed story ...more
More about Julie Hedlund...
My Love for You is the Sun