Start by marking “Family Reunion (Six Cousins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Family Reunion (Six Cousins, #1)

Family Reunion

(Six Cousins #1)

Every word, every moment matters …

Welcome to the Austin Family Reunion! 14-year-old Marielle Austin’s parents and grandparents are hosting family for a week in the Texas hill country, and Marielle’s five girl cousins are staying at her house. Emma and Caroline are her best friends – like her, they’re homeschooled and passionate about the Lord, the past, and books. Abby, K
Published September 27th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Family Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Reunion

Start your review of Family Reunion (Six Cousins, #1)
Angie Thompson
I enjoyed this story, although it didn't quite follow either of the paths I was prepared for it to take. I ended up liking the balance that was struck between not condoning or excusing bad behavior while still recognizing that even those on the "right" side of the argument don't always act with the right attitude or in the right way. I liked the way that Marielle, Emma, and Caroline strove for good attitudes toward their cousins while learning and growing in their own motivations and actions. I ...more
C.B. Cook
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I hate rating books really low, especially when they're by homeschool authors that I sort-of know. I also hate doing half-star ratings, but this is technically a 2.5-ish star book for me.

The Good
I thought the characters were pretty interesting, and the plot was pretty good, too. Bryant did a really good job with her descriptions, too. I was able to picture things very clearly in my mind.
Unlike many others, I enjoyed the quotes and book discussions. It added a realistic aspect to the story.

The B
Bekah
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my very first book by Kelsey Bryant, and I really enjoyed it. The theme of the six cousins coming together as a team and accepting each other's strengths and weaknesses was excellently done and I felt like I was right there with them for their family reunion.

What I Liked: The descriptions in this book were some of the best I've ever read. This definitely is one of this author's strengths. The description never got too long and gave me a little window into Marielle's mind and how she saw
Alicia Willis
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Suitable for all ages. Most appropriate for girls 10-16.

Have you ever read a book where you felt your heart knit in friendship with the author? Miss Bryant's heart came through in the pages of this sweet story and I felt almost as if I knew her personally. Beyond that, her style was most intriguing. It breathed true literary talent, with a charming mix of 21st century reality, colorful descriptions, and a classical touch.

There were so many elements to this story that I liked. The empha
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 13 and up (reading level)

All homeschoolers know how tough family relations can be at times. Many of us have at least one relative that thinks we are really weird for having been schooled at home. All of us have had to hang out with people who don’t share our values and struggle to think of good topics of conversation. This book is about all of that and so much more.

From the very beginning, I could identify with Marielle and I think most homeschool girl
Rose
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute and relevant. With so many books written for a "normal" public school audience, it was nice to read something geared for homeschoolers.

Thanks, Kelsey
Rachel
As a homeschool graduate I immediately fell in love with this charming story. When 6 girl cousins and their family's get together in Texas for a family reunion, Grandpa challenges them with a chance to work together for a surprise and reward! But will they all be able to work together peacefully, or will disharmony and differences keep them from completing the tasks on time?

A beautiful story of love, friendship, family, and working together. Loved it! I was encouraged in my own family relationsh
E. Writes
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect when starting this book, I thought perhaps it would be geared for a younger audience to the point where I'd not be it's demographic.
But the undeniable and unique perspective of a homeschooled girl and her cousins soon transcended any demographic... I guess it's like the Narnia books, once a homeschooler, always a homeschooler! ;-)

I actually found a lot of emotional resonance in the troubles the girls encounter, triggering many memories I had no idea would resurfac
Amanda Tero
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictional
I enjoyed the innocent, openness of the main character and her two best-friend cousins. Their struggles to identify with their cousins who were raised in a less-conservative setting and their desire to overcome the chasm between them was very realistic.

The theme of three challenges to complete in a week together was intriguing and very well-balanced, the excitement building as the girls neared the end.

The only point I didn't particularly care for was the discussion of authors such as Tolkien and
Mikayla
I enjoyed this book a lot, its one of those that the ending really deturmands weather you like it or love it. I am looking forward to the next book!
Liz F.
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! It was very well put together... the clues all seemed pretty realistic and not cheesy and it was fun to watch the girls grow! I could definitely relate to all the things happening... Abby was the one that drove me craziest! XD
My only complaint was it took a bit to get through. :)
Totally recommend for 10+ very clean.
4 stars!
Erika Mathews
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: favorite-cover
This is a good book. Captivating, in-depth, realistic, well done.

The description caught my eye on Amazon. It sounded like something with the potential to be interesting.

It was much more.

Marielle, Reanna, Emma, Caroline, Abby, and Kailey captivated me with their realistic personalities. Each one was unique and distinct - something that can be difficult to portray for so many teenage girls but was extraordinarily well done. I could relate to each one of the girls in different ways. Even their na
Micaiah
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Family Reunion
Kelsey Bryant
Ages: All! (but best for girls 10-16)
Rating: 4 stars

Family Reunion by Kelsey Bryant was a fun, clean read. It was light, but it also had some deeper points that drew me in. It had a simple storyline, but a strong underlying message - forgiveness, loving others, and seeing what we have in common with those around us. This book showed how real life is! The three girls from Texas - Marielle, Emma, and Caroline - have to overcome their differences with their three girl cou
Perry
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
I'll be writing a full review later.
But for now...
Wow.
Awesome.
I can't wait to tell EVERYONE I know to read this book.
Yep, it was that good. :)

Update- Full Review:
When I first heard about this book, I was pretty sure I'd found a gem. Then, when I won a copy from a Homeschool Authors giveaway and began reading it, I knew for a fact I had found a rare gem.

What do I love so much about "Family Reunion"?
-It's a story set in a very normal world--just regular, everyday drama, folks!
-It's set in a famil
Sonja Langford
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Family Reunion is a refreshing breath of air in today's young teen's fictional world. As an avid reader growing up, I would scour the library shelves seeking books with good morals and "clean" plots. So often over half of my checkouts would end up being returned without being finished. I know that had this book been on my library shelves five years ago I would have been ecstatic to find a book that talked about the things I knew and loved best--homeschooling, literature, Scripture, and friendshi ...more
Hannah
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Plot Synopsis: This is a book about a family reunion between homeschoolers and public schoolers. The main drive of the story is the cultural differences between the cousins.
What I Liked About It: The narrative is beautifully written. Kelsey Bryant has a notable gift for describing sets---fields, hills, gulleys, houses, rooms, creeks, all are painted in realistic detail, making you feel like you've lived there. Since I have in fact lived " there" ---in Central Texas--for all my life, it was part
Amanda
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have mixed feelings about this book.

On the one hand, I really like the message and the growth of the characters. It's so realistic to have to learn to get along with people and have that not work out like you hope, even when you're trying your hardest. It really struck a chord with me to read about Marielle, Emma, and Caroline's struggles with how different their Wisconsin cousin were and how they could interact with them in light of that. The cousins and other characters were all we
Kate Willis
My older sister shared this book with me, and we both love it to pieces! : )

The Setting:
This book is written in a modern time period in rural Texas.

The Storyline:
The story was very interesting. Definitely not action packed, but instead an adventure that could happen to any of us! I was impressed with the lessons the author worked in of learning to love your neighbor, work together, and really, truly forgive.

The Characters:
Three of the cousins were from very conservative Christian families, while
Carole
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
As others have said, it was too long. However the basic story line was good. I read this book as I am looking for books with a Christian message for my 11 year old daughter to read. I got an insight into how the teenage mind works and specifically what life is like for a teenager growing up in a Christian home. (I myself grew up a pagan and converted at the age of 30).
Will recommend my daughter reads and I enjoyed it enough to want to read the sequel.
Aria
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Pretty good! It was engaging, although I felt like it got a little annoying. The ending was good, though!
Eliza Noel
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Homeschooled Girls
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book! I hope to write a review as soon as I get a chance...
UPDATE:
Family Reunion by Kelsey Bryant definitely made it onto my list of my top favorite books and books I recommend to girls ages 12-16!
In this day and age it's so difficult to find new Contemporary books that are appropriate for someone like me- a Christian teenage girl who has been homeschooled all her life and who really doesn't care to read about the typical teenagers first kiss/dance or dark vampire type of stuff. I oft
Hailey Rose
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Family Reunion was one of those books that kept popping up on numerous blogs. Finally, I decided that a change of pace might be nice, so I got the book. At first glance, I didn’t expect much, but as I read on, the little treasure that this book is came to light.

Plot/Storyline: 4/5
Though this is far from an action-packed adventure, the message of this book is so absolutely invaluable. It packs a punch, about something every person struggles with at one point in time or another; being kind to tho
Stargazer R. L.
Pleasantly written, beautiful description, Central Texas wonderfully described, some funny moments... All nice things! "Family Reunion" wasn't my normal cup of tea, being modern fiction, but I did enjoy a lot of it. :)

Recommended to homeshooled girls who enjoy modern fiction. :)
Sierra
Paul Willis
Oct 13, 2016
Saphraneet
Jan 21, 2016
God's Girlz: Giveaway For Copy of Christian Book for Girls! 1 9 Mar 01, 2014 11:57AM

• Snip (Martin Generations, #0.5)
  • Kind: a Christmas short story of post-WWII Munich
  • Welcome Home (Faith, Hope, and Love #1)
  • Martin Hospitality (Martin Generations, #1)
  • Flowers in Her Heart (Kees & Colliers #3)
  • The Case of the Tabloid Tattler (The Kitten Files, #1)
  • Fallen Leaves
  • Love Blind
  • Meet My Boyfriend
  • Three Little Words (Walker Family, #0.5)
  • Andora's Folly
  • At Her Fingertips (The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy, #3)
  • Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2)
  • A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England, #1)
  • The Case of the Missing Hero (The Kitten Files, #2)
  • Only Children Chase Sawdust
  • Next Door Neighbors (Neighbors #2)
  • Widow’s Heart
Kelsey Bryant is a homeschool graduate from Central Texas. Books have been a part of her family for generations. Ever since she can remember, Kelsey has been writing stories and dreaming of the magical moment when her books would join the ranks.

She draws inspiration from the Greatest Story Ever Told, which culminates in the Messiah’s salvation offered to every person. Her life would be meaningles

Six Cousins (2 books)
  • England Adventure (Six Cousins, #2)

News & Interviews

“That’s just it. She’s in the state of mind that will think the worst of everybody,” Emma said. “And basically, that’s exactly what we’re trying to reverse. It’s a vicious cycle.”

“God does the reversing.” It was sudden, I hadn’t thought of it that way before, but after it left my lips it brought me a load of comfort.

Emma paused what she was doing and looked at me. “You know, that’s exactly right. Only God can change a heart. I suppose we can help, but it has to be all up to Him.”
4 likes