Start by marking “Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup” as Want to Read:
Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup

Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup

Book by Aulet, Bill
Published July 31st 2013 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Disciplined Entrepreneurship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disciplined Entrepreneurship

Start your review of Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup
Jose Papo
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read! A defined methodology with 24 steps who talks about the importance of Market Segmentation, creating personas, calculate the Total Addressable Market, how to quantify the value proposition, chart competition, design a business model and pricing framework, Lifetime Value and Cost of Customer Acquisition, Identify and Test Key assumptions, Define and create the Minimun Viable Business Product, among other important steps to check if your business idea is really worth ...more
Said AlMaskery
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
I met Bill Aulet during an executive program in MIT. His lectures were around the ideas presented in this book.

The book is one of the best books I ever read on "start up" techniques, not only does it give you a step by step approach for a start up business, but it also opens your eyes and prepares you for challenges you would probably have struggled through in your first venture.

Interestingly, and unlike other books on the topic, the first few steps urges you to start with the customer in
Kelly Reid
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO, two things:

1) I met Bill at a lecture in Chicago put on by some MIT alumni. I got the book (much like some waffle fries) FOR FREE. I feel the need to disclose this so people don't think I'm shilling for Bill's book, and to kind of nerdbrag a little bit.

2) I stopped reading about 25% of the way through. Why? Because my business is not at the stage where I need his RIDICULOUSLY THOROUGH guidance. I wish I had this 3 years ago. So, I stopped reading because I am going to give it to someone else
Suphatra
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been flirting with the idea of graduate school for a few years now, and decided to sit in on a couple MBA classes to help inform my indecision. One of these classes focused on tech entrepreneurship and the professor assigned readings from this book by Bill Aulet. I had never heard of the book before, and saw it was not well read on Goodreads or Amazon. I decided to take a chance on it anyway.

After reading half of the book, I had to stop. Here's why: the title is a bit misleading. I thought
Eugene
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Eugene by: Vitaly Polekhin
great book hat shows the MIT approach: you have some innovation (technical or another type but that it relies on your knowhow and is not easy to be reproduced) and you need to commercialize it. The book guides through all the steps from selecting and finding the market, doing market research and finding the beachhead market to MVP and customer interviews.
Ashlyn
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
*Update* I read this book again, however, I went through the steps using detoolbox.com. It seemed informative, but I was still a little disappointed that some aspects of creating and developing the product and finding manufacturers was not mentioned. At times, it seemed a little dumb to go through this process with data that was not accurate.

I read this book for class, and it seemed like a good book if you want to start an entrepreneurship. The author seemed like he was very conceited of himself
Daniel Fisberg
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill wrote this book during my short stay at MIT in 2011. Im proud to have a chapter based on the work I did during one of his great classes. Very helpful book if you are planning to start a new venture.
Emil Lindfors
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My goto reading suggestion for anyone wanting to get into entrepreneurship
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup by Bill Aulet was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2014.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Human history has seen certain occupations lifted to a pedestal during a particular era. What explorers were to the Age of Discovery and artists were to the Renaissance, entrepreneurs now occupy places of highest esteem in today’s global marketplace. However, MIT professor and serial entrepreneur Bill Aulet
Felipe Chiaramonte
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is great! Aulet's system is a compendium of other lean and customer development business plan systems in their core. It's a didatic (Aulet is a MIT professor) step-by-step guide with cartoony ilustrations and real startup exemples to guide the entrepreneur inside you. These are a lot of useful tools and insights to go straight to the point on the things that matter before starting a business. It's a great and complete introduction which should be complemented by books that focus on ...more
Arnab Padhi
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-buy
Have you ever come across any book which gives you an in-depth idea of how to start your startup and ways to know whether your product will survive in the market? well, this books does. It is methodological perfect for any marketing persona, CEO or any person who is associated with the decision-making process of a company. It's not a must-read. It is a must buy and re-re-re-read.
Hassan
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great practical easy to follow book, I'll keep it by myside along my entrepreneurship journey
Gerry
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent workbook for innovation-driven startups on how to develop a product strategy. I recommend it highly.
Thomas Papaspiros
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books i ve read on the subject
KC
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I took Bill Aulet's entrepreneurship class at MIT (15.390 New Enterprises) and got a great deal out of it. During that time, Bill was writing this book, and the curriculum for the class largely mirrors the organization of this book. In fact, reading this book felt like going through class notes. In a good way.

Bill acknowledges the hype about entrepreneurship, and how so many charismatic folks see it as a ticket to the big time. He dispels a lot of falsehoods about it and assures us that
Dexter Wilson
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While this book was fundamental reading for an upcoming Entrepreneurship boot-camp, the material, principles and step by step guide to creating a truly innovation based business focused on the customer's real needs in an iterative model were simply mindblowing. The amount of work a truly disciplined entrepreneur must undergo to create a offering of significant value firstly to his beachhead market and then to adjacent applicable markets all while continuously refining, refocusing and collecting ...more
Dakshin
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Neatly explained business concepts (e.g: cost of customer acquisition), managing and setting realistic expectations as an entrepreneur and lacing the perspective built from customer-end into one's venture form the basis for this instruction manual.

It did not certainly make me buy the idea of venturing into entrepreneurship but if I had read this from the angle of an entrepreneur, I would have appreciated this book much better. To me, the illustrations were attractive. The content being overly
Andrew McCoy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I've been looking for my whole life--a step by step guide that clearly outlines the essential considerations to build a successful organization. There are so many applications to this, but with my personality, it's been helpful to have a guidebook to be able to "check off" tasks toward the slow and difficult process of building a sustainable business.
Florian Bador
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a good book, quite conservative and academic in the way to approach business (I guess that's the point of the whole book) and it mostly fits pretty large businesses.
For the medium and small ones, all this case be very simplified but many steps are common to businesses of all sizes.
It's NOT a very long read too, which is good.
Kevin Kaw
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book for aspiring entrepreneurs. Bill makes creating a startup with his logical and straightforward 24 steps seem easy enough. However, be forewarned, as I was reading through the pages, I thought that your challenges get easier as you go along but it turned-out that you can pivot at each step and that each step can essentially make or break your business.
Thib
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pragmatic and straight forward. No platitude or 30,000 feet concepts that can’t be applied. Lots of use cases to prove frameworks with data. Quite exportable to any company or industry.

Read this book back in the summer of 2013 at MIT when Bill Aulet was handing them to GFSA students (MIT startup accelerator). Good memories. Launching a new company now. Reading it again. It’s timeless!
Charles
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for people looking for a self-serve education on entrepreneurship. A few of the steps in there are fairly repetitive, especially in the beginning. Also 24 steps can come off as too many to remember, but the problem of how many layers of abstraction one should add to a concept like entrepreneurship is difficult to solve.
Asad Khan
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its a good book.
All entrepreneurs need to read this book at least once. Book contains valuable advice and can help entrepreneurs prepare and launch their products and services with less risk factor.

The thing I hated about book was references to SensAble Technologies. Yes please remove them, they're everywhere, take examples from the broad entrepreneurial domain.

Dash Dhakshinamoorthy
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where tyre hits the road

An excellent resource for first time and also seasoned entrepreneurs - a book that gives you not only a wide angle view of what it takes to launch a startup but also helps you step by step navigate this treacherous path with clear succinct thinking and actionable tools! Superb.
Noodle Wrap
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have turned to this book multiple times for guidance. The steps are explained clearly and thoroughly, with appropriate real life examples that you just get it after reading it.
Clear, actionable, and is by far the best book that bridges ideas according actions in the field of entrepreneurship. Not for learning concepts, but is best to execute what is written in the book.
Highly recommended.
Petr Bela
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-uk
The book was primarily written as a coursebook for the author's entrepreneurship course at MIT. If you've read a lot of books about startups this one will probably not surprise you, still, it provides a structured guide to all the various aspects of starting a company.
Joyce
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: startup-reading
A good summary of the current state of the art in developing a startup, but it is very prescriptive and doesn't dive into too much detail - probably by design because it's a short book. Great as a primer.
Sjors
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
The author, Bill Aulet, teaches entrepreneurship at MIT and turned his core subjects into a book. Book is clearly written and has a number of numerical approaches. The book is more aimed at high-tech start-ups, which is not really my area of interest.
Antony Murphy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read for Startups

A very good read and a book we are using in work with our startup! However it’s very similar to a lot of other books in the genre e.g. Lean Startup, Start With Why and Business Model Canvas.
Murat Tortopoğlu
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entrepreneurship for geeks

Great book to introduce entrepreneurship to engineers. Full of examples and actions to follow provided for all steps. I am going to use it in my class this semester.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Business Model Generation
  • Talking to Humans
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • Hot Seat: The Startup CEO Guidebook
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
Bill Aulet is the managing director in the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship at MIT and also a senior lecturer at the MIT Sloan School of Management. The center is responsible for entrepreneurship across all five schools at MIT starting with education but also extending well outside the class room with student clubs, conferences, competitions, networking events, awards, hackathons, ...more
“If there is already a market research report out there with all the information you need, it is probably too late for your new venture.” 4 likes
“If there is already a market research report out there with all the information you need, it is probably too late for your new venture” 1 likes