Start by marking “The Science, Art and Voodoo of Freelance Pricing and Getting Paid” as Want to Read:
The Science, Art and Voodoo of Freelance Pricing and Getting Paid

The Science, Art and Voodoo of Freelance Pricing and Getting Paid

Are you struggling to price your freelance services profitably? Do you feel as if prospective clients always have the upper hand during the sales and negotiations process? Or are you busier than ever but not making as much money as you believe your skills and experience warrant? You’ve probably thought, “There’s got to be a better way to do this”--and you’re absolutely cor ...more
Published September 2013 by More Cowbell Books

Be the first to ask a question about The Science, Art and Voodoo of Freelance Pricing and Getting Paid

Start your review of The Science, Art and Voodoo of Freelance Pricing and Getting Paid
Mary
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid 4. I picked up this book at the Editorial Freelance Association conference in 2016. Even though a significant amount of information in the book was information I had read before, the content was offered in a useful and coherent manner. I appreciated the anecdotes and examples provided, as well as the "equations" to pricing work. There are specific questions I have that weren't answered in this book though, which I'll have to search for elsewhere.
Wendy
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sound practical advice for anyone selling their creative or artistic services. Highly recommended.
Molly McCowan
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, word-nerd
A very informative, fun, and quick read that has some solid tips on pricing your services as a freelancer. I'd recommend it to anyone (especially a freelance editor or copywriter) who's not sure what to charge or how to best deliver proposals or spot nickle-and-diming clients.
Carolina
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Science, Art and Voodoo of Freelance Pricing and Getting Paid is perfect for people who are just getting started in their freelance careers or are relatively new to freelancing and don't have as much experience giving estimates to clients and invoicing. Jake Poinier lays out the basics of pricing and getting paid in an easy-to-digest way. While you'll still need to do research on your own and figure out what works best for you, this is a great starting point for determining how you want to p ...more
Rica
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
How I wish I'd had this book to consult when I started out as a freelance editor. Sure, I eventually figured out much of what it covers. But learning those lessons took me so long and caused me so much unnecessary pain.

Jake Poinier has written a clear, practical guide to succeeding financially in the freelance world.

Recommended without reservation.
luv4pez
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very short informational book to help freelancers figure out what they should charge for their work. Unfortunately, I've heard all this advice before.
Beth
Sep 20, 2018

• Conversations with Friends
  • Getting Over It
  • Cocktails for Three
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Feeding My Mother: Comfort and Laughter in the Kitchen as My Mom Lives with Memory Loss
  • Reproduction
  • Rick Mercer Final Report
  • The Wallcreeper
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Soft Target (Ray Cruz, #2)
  • The Last Breath
  • Your Life is a Book: How to Craft & Publish Your Memoir
  • An Ocean of Minutes
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • This Little Light
  • Why Not Me?
  • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
Jake Poinier, a.k.a. Dr. Freelance, made the freelancing leap in 1999 after a decade of working in magazine editing, sales and marketing, and public relations. He is the author of three books published by More Cowbell Books:
*The Smooth-Sailing Freelancer
*The Science, Art and Voodoo of Freelance Pricing and Getting Paid
*Help! My Freelancers Are Driving Me Crazy, winner of a Writer’s Digest e-Book A

News & Interviews