Start by marking “Lilly's Big Day” as Want to Read:
Lilly's Big Day

Lilly's Big Day

(Mouse Books)

Lilly, the star of Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse; Julius, the Baby of the World; and Chester's Way, rises to the occasion as only Lilly can, turning heartbreak into wedding cake (a delicious three-tiered frosted Swiss cheese, no less), and disappointment into friendship. This is the paperback edition of the acclaimed #1 New York Times bestseller by Caldecott Medalist Kevin ...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by Greenwillow Books (first published March 28th 2006)

Start your review of Lilly's Big Day
Ronyell
Lilly

Now, it has been a long time since I had read a book from Kevin Henkes’ famous “Mouse” series since I had so many other children’s books to get through over the years. Many of the books from the “Mouse” series had an everlasting place in my childhood nostalgia as I used to read these books when I was little and I was surprised that there was a newer book from Kevin Henkes’ “Mouse” series called “Lilly’s Big Day” which seems to be a conclusion of a sort to Lilly’s story!

Mr. Slinger, Lilly’s teach
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lily is not my personal favorite of Henkes' characters, nor is this the best Lily book, imo. But she's 'real,' and Henkes understands her well. Evidence: when a shop clerk says that Lily is "adorable," Grammy mutters, "In small doses." Maybe the best audience for this is not your own little diva, but her younger sibling.
Dolly
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about a little girl with big ideas. Lilly wants to be a flower girl and takes it hard when things don't go her way. But Lilly finds a way to make her dreams come true and all ends well. Our girls enjoyed this story.
Jaclyn Giordano
Lilly’s Big Day by Kevin Henkes is a picture book intended for readers in preschool through grade three. I gave it three stars. Lilly, a young mouse, is excited when her teacher, Mr. Slinger, is getting married. Lilly dreams in excitement of being the flower girl at his wedding, but is full of disappointment and sadness when Mr. Slinger’s niece, Ginger, is the flower girl on “Lilly’s big day.” However, Lilly becomes Ginger’s assistant, and her role in Mr. Slinger’s wedding turns out to be one o ...more
Shari
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
Lilly is at it again. This time, she has decided that she should be the flower girl in Mr. Slinger's wedding.
Katie
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb-same-artist
Lilly’s Big Day
5 out of 5 stars

Henkes uses shades of pink and purple, mainly, throughout the book. There is a definite, “girly” feel to the book. The illustrations are outlined with thick, black lines. This creates negative space around the text. Some illustrations were not outlined, which allowed the reader’s eye to focus on and travel from image to image. The bright end papers gave the reader an idea of how colorful the book would be. Text was inserted above the characters to indicate how the
SheAintGotNoShoes
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I have read three of the Lilly books I understand why Kevin writes as he does. In all his stories about her, she starts off cheerful and self assured, decides she either wants something or wants to do something, and then when thwarted or things do not go as planned, her sassy, 'my way or the highway ' personality shows itself. Being a rebellious child and definitely a more rebellious 50 something now, I can relate to the foot stomping reactions to not getting your way or thinking things ...more
Jeana Wert
I loved this book.I knew i would like it after we read "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse" in class. It was funny to me that Lilly automatically thought she was going to be her teacher's flower girl. I guess every little girl would hope for the same thing. I like in the book how there are pictures and words that are scattered throughout the page, like when she was practicing walking down the isle. I also liked that Lilly didn't fully end up getting her way, but she learned her lesson and helped Ginge ...more
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lilly never ceases to amuse me with her strange ideas and kooky outfits. This book was no less amusing. I especially liked the climax of the story, which called upon Lilly to think up the perfect solution. I was very impressed with how she handled it and I broke out into a smile when I figured out what she was going to do. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
ABC
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
Lily wants to be the flower girl for her teacher's wedding, but is disappointed when he picks a relative.
Kaethe Douglas
As much as I like Lilly, I hate member-of-the-wedding stories. Especially flower girls. It's unreasonable, but there it is.
Gianni Llano
Lilly's Big Day, was a good and entertaining read. It's great for explaining how something bad could turn into something good after all.
Gabbie Capote
This book is about Lily’s teacher, Mr. Slinger, getting married and that she wants and even expects to be the flower girl. She starts planning in her head and telling everyone that she is going to be a flower girl. She’s always daydreaming about being the flower girl at the wedding. She later gets told that she isn’t going to be the flower girl because then all the girls in the class will want to too, so just Mr. Slinger’s niece will be the flower girl. She has a hard time accepting the fact tha ...more
Kaci Noyes
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smith-s-class
When Lilly found out her teachers were getting married, it is her dream to become the flower girl in the wedding. But, when she learns that her teacher's niece would have this job instead, she decides to lend her helping hand instead. By helping her be the best flower girl there ever was, Lilly saves the wedding, and makes a great friend along the way.

This was a very cute and heartwarming book that I think a lot of young girls would enjoy. There were lots of words that could make it somewhat dif
Aubrey Miller
“Lilly’s Big Day” is a short and humorous story about a mouse named Lilly who has high hopes of being her teacher’s flower girl. Once Lilly hears her teacher is getting married, she knows that the flower girl job was meant for her. When Lilly hears that some other girl will be the flower girl, Lilly is very upset, but accepts the offer of being the flower girl’s assistant. Lilly trains Ginger just like she has been practicing. When it comes time for Ginger to walk down the aisle, she freezes up ...more
Rebecca Rowsey
Laurie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Gordon
In Lilly's Big Day, Lilly's teacher Mr. Slinger is announces that he is getting married. Lilly is ecstatic because she has always wanted to be a flower girl and she just knows that Mr. Slinger will ask her to be his flower girl. When Mr. Slinger tells her that she can't be his flower girl because he already has one, Lilly is crushed. Mr. Slinger still gives Lilly something to do at the wedding though! Read to find out how it turns out.
Review: I was initially drawn to this book because I remember
Christina
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-reviewed
I’m a big fan of Kevin Henkes’s books. He’s a very talented storyteller and artist. Lilly’s Big Day was a wonderful and funny read. I just adore Lilly’s character and how determined she is to be the best flower girl ever. Once she gets an idea in her head she doesn’t let it go – no counterargument can dissuade her. And it’s funny how she seems to be more excited about the wedding than Mr. Slinger (her teacher). Her excitement about the occasion is very infectious. I couldn’t wait to read what wo ...more
Kelsey Rice
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdng-350
This book is about a mouse whose teacher is getting married. Lilly has always wanted to be a flower girl. In the end, Lilly did not get to be the flower girl but was the flower girl's assistant. The flower girl froze when it was her time to walk down the aisle so Lilly helped her down the aisle. I really enjoyed this book! The illustrations were very creative and fun! I think there are many different ways you could use this book in your classroom. This book could be used to show how children can ...more
Danielle Baker
I enjoyed this book and really loved the illustrations, but was a little disappointed. I love books with good lessons and meanings, but felt as though this one did not have that. Lilly was being a brat throughout the whole book and never realized it and changed. She did become a little nicer, but never learned a lesson as I would have hoped for. I don't think I would have this book be in my lesson plans.
Morgan Stout
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lilly is a diva whose lifelong dream is to be a flower girl. Lucky for her, her teacher is getting married! Unlucky for her, he has a niece who stole Lilly's flower girl job. Lilly trains as a "flower girl assistant" instead and ultimately gets to save the day by helping Ginger (the niece) down the aisle when she faces stage fright at the last minute. This is an enjoyable story for preschoolers and kindergarteners!
Lynn  Davidson
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lilly's teacher is getting married and Lilly just KNOWS he's going to ask her to be the flowergirl. She practices for her big day. She's very disappointed when her teacher's niece is to be the flowergirl, so he asks her to be the flowergirl's assistant. She's not as happy about that, but at the wedding she's needed in an unexpected way.
Ann
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weddings. I think it happens a lot that little girls automatically think they are part of the wedding party in their favorite grown up's wedding. What disappointment they must feel when reality sets in. Henkes offers solutions in this book that children can understand. Tapent tapent! Life can be tough.
Scout Collins

This book was very long and repetitive in a bad way, for a kids' book.

The girl I was reading it to while babysitting said it was long and did not like hearing about Lily's preparation after the first time.

The illustrations and plot were decent.

The ending was good.
Overall, I would recommend to Lily the Mouse fans.
SaraKat
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lilly is back and this time she is determined to be her teacher's flower girl. She has such a big personality and doesn't listen to reason and that gets her into trouble sometimes. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as her purple plastic purse, but she is still a cutie.
Milton Public
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lilly, hero or thereabouts, of Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, returns to insert herself forcibly into her teacher's wedding. Lilly is quite a handful. But, like your own little handfuls, she is a lovable one.
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I adore Lily. She has very big emotions and expresses them in a way that children can really understand. She is just like a little girl who lives in my house (and her mother as a child). Kevin Henkes is a master of capturing children’s emotions!
eb
Kevin Henkes is a treasure. Lilly's adventures and big dreams are such fun to follow, and the way she makes the best of things, apologizes, and interacts with her family are both funny and true. I especially appreciate the way she uses art (and fashion) to communicate.
Kimberly

• The Rough Patch
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • How I Became a Pirate
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • Maple
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.

Mouse Books (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Weekend with Wendell