Start by marking “Vivian Divine Is Dead” as Want to Read:
Vivian Divine Is Dead

Vivian Divine Is Dead

Filled with surprising twists and poignant moments, Lauren Sabel brings a fresh new voice to contemporary fiction with Vivian Divine Is Dead. Creepy, clever, funny, and romantic.

When a death threat arrives with teen celebrity Vivian Divine's fan mail, Vivian has no choice but to go on the run to Mexico. She soon discovers, though, that her Oscar-nominated performance killi
Published June 3rd 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Vivian Divine Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vivian Divine Is Dead

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
A line pops into my head, one I repeated dozens of times to get the right balance of hope and desperation that the Zombie Killer is known for. All that stands between me and the end of the world...is a bobby pin.
I have two, motherfuckers.

Vaya con dios, mi amigo.
No, that's not a quote from the book. It's my advice to you, it means "go with god, my friend," and you're going to need that advice should you insist upon reading this book.

It's one of those so-bad-it's-almost-good books.

It's insta-l
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Vivian Divine is Dead is so bad that it’s almost comical. I was craughing after finishing it. No joke. With its clichés and "coincidences", this book is like a big fat joke. This is something that would be a million times better on TV than on paper. When you write a book, it’s important you close all the loop holes or at least attempt to. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen in this book. What we have here instead are dramatic twists that are
Melanie
Oh, what a book. Blythe and I did a discussion review on the blog.

What we didn't like:
- how forgetful it was (though that's sorta a good thing. LIKE WHO WOULD WANT TO REMEMBER SUCH A NIGHTMARISH NOVEL)
- how it tricked us and went downhill from chapter 1. The first chapter was actually decent
- how predicable and unsurprising the twists were.
- Vivian was a spoiled brat and was a total idiot. Whenever she was in trouble, someone was there to save her.
- apparently the love interest is the hottest
Nasty Lady MJ
Jun 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
To see full review click on the below link:

My Blog

Did I ever mention I wanted to write soap operas…

I’m sure I did.

This book is what gives soaps a bad name. In fact, I don’t think I’ve seen a soap opera that is this messed up since the network was purposely trying to cancel All My Children and they had Dixie die by tainted pancakes.

God, that was a horrible storyline.

Vivian Divine read like that era of daytime television that many people have tried to forget its existence. To be honest, I wasn’t p
Tara
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ya
This novel is so impressive in so many ways that it's hard to know where to start writing about it. I could comment on the beautiful descriptive language that the author uses to evoke both Hollywood and rural Mexico. I could talk about the dark threats that hover over Vivian from the first page, keeping the tension thick chapter after chapter. Or I could focus on Vivian herself, and her journey from spoiled starlet to determined, responsible young woman.

Put all of these elements together, though
Olivia
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book for young adults!! It captures the essence of some real life issues teens go through and how they deal with them so it was very easy to relate to the characters and really feel like I was in the story with them. It was such a fast read because it was such a page turner! I kept wanting to know what happened next and couldn't seem to put the book down. Will definitely be recommending this to all of my friends as a must read! Will love to read more from this author in the future!!
Laura Resau
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It's wildly original, unlike anything else out there in the YA world... which makes it especially delightful and worth reading. The writing is wonderful, and so is the voice... I would follow Vivian anywhere on her adventures (and hope to do so in a sequel!) The story is fast-paced and utterly intriguing, with romance and travel and adventure-- just what I look for in a novel. I was so impressed with this debut and look forward to reading Lauren Sabel's future books.
Blythe
more like Vivian Divine is Dead on Arrival amirite

(discussion review with Mel to come on the 6th)
Jenny Goebel
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away!
Isamlq
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-galley
Vivian Divine is Dead. What an utter waste! It had me at the title but lost me somewhere after chapter two.

Too much like a telenovela, and this was despite the setting. That whole thing about doubt suspension being directly proportional to how entertaining something is still holds true, because things while unbelievable were also either frustrating or boring or some other negative participle. I just couldn't get with it!

Why?

Well, the lead for starters. Vivian Divine is not divine at all. There'
Alex
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read! This book grabbed my attention from the very beginning and kept it throughout the whole story. I was never bored with this book. It is very fast paced and it would be a great read for many teenage readers! I would recommend this book to any teenagers that are looking for a fast paced read. Great job!
Phil
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE
This book is AMAZING in so many different ways! It was fast paced and kept me turning the pages which I loved! The suspense and emotion between the two main characters kept me interested and feeling like I was actually there with them. There was also such a huge plot twist towards the end that just blew my mind!! I loved loved loved this book and can't wait to read more from this author!!
Bekka
Oct 16, 2013 added it
Couldn't finish. Continuity issues within the first fifteen pages and a lot of blahblahblahhhing on about a boy and true love and ugh. No.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Vivian Divine is Dead is a gripping masterpiece with a creepy, exciting premise.

Opening Sentence: My name is Vivian Divine.

The Review:

Vivian Divine is a child star. Her mother, Pearl Divine, was named World’s Sexiest Woman multiple times and her father is one of the most successful directors in Hollywood. Her life should be perfect, but it’s spiraled out of control. Her boyfriend Pierre was caught by the paparazzi kissing her best friend. He
Emma
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
4.5/5

REVIEW BY MOLLY 8:1

Vivian Divine is a child movie star, Her Mother, Pearl Divine is the best and sexiest movie star and her father is one of the most successful directors in Hollywood. Her life should be perfect, but it has spiraled out of control. Her Mother is murdered and her father tries to kill himself. A few days later Vivian gets the exact same note her mother did before she died, telling her she is next. Now Vivian must go on the run from whatever killed her mother.

Vivian, like any
Sam
Huge thank you to Katherine Tegen Books and Edelweiss for an advance copy of this book.

2.5, rounded to a 3.

Vivian Divine is Dead might be one of the weirdest books I've read in a long time. The pace moves at lightning speed with no sense of stopping, and yet when you reach the end of the book, you question a little bit as to what the heck you just read. This book is weird. Like, really weird at times.

I think the best way to describe this book is Stockholm Syndrome. Vivian is kidnapped, yet she'
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
16-year-old Vivian Divine is a famous movie star, and her mother who was also a movie star was brutally murdered six months ago.
Now Vivian has received a video detailing how she too will be murdered in just 3 days, if she can’t disappear for a while that is.
Is the same person threatening Vivian the one who killed her mother? And can she escape before she too meets the same e
Jen Ryland
Picture this: you're standing around at a party and this random person sidles up and starts telling you about something that happened to them. Their story sounds like the plot of a completely implausible action movie. You're listening, thinking: "Is this person for real?" That's how I felt while reading this book.

In the first few pages, Vivian tells the reader that she's an Oscar nominated 16 year-old actress whose famous mother was just murdered, famous father recently attempted suicide, and (y
Aliaa El-Nashar
Jun 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
So this is not how I usually start a review, but I really really, hated this book.

This book talks about Vivian Divine whose mother died just recently. Her life is a mess, not counting the fact that she has nightmares, she caught her father trying to commit suicide and her mother's death, but also her boyfriend has cheated on her with her best friend. To top it all off, someone sent her a video with her death on it. The only thing to do? Run and hide.

Now to be fair, there were definitely plot twi
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This isn't one of those books that you go into expecting an in depth look into the characters or a heart felt read or anything even truly mind blowing, instead it gives you exactly what most books should, an escape from reality for however long it takes you to finish it.

This is a hard book to review. The writing was fabulous in some aspects and lacked in others. The plot was wild and out there but still maintained some originality which, lets face it, is becoming harder and harder to find in the
Susan
This was a fun, light and very silly book. It was painfully predictable but still entertaining. I listened to the audio version and the narrator sounded quite good speaking Spanish (to this non-Spanish speaker) and the voices of the different characters were distinctive and well done. There were a few English words that were pronounced strangely, as in wrong to my ear, near the beginning but I didn't notice it later on.
Louisa
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really felt bad for her, seeing what happens to her, that she's told she's going to die, and yeah, how she works through all the things surrounding that and her mom's death, loved all the twists in this book! Though I kinda want a sequel, because it's almost wrapped, there's just the one thread!
Morgan
This book had an interesting concept but that is the only thing I really liked about it except the setting. I just felt like the characters were just that, characters. I'm sorry this review so short!
Cait S
Feb 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am struggling to think of the last time I hated a book this much. Even flipping back through my other one star reviews, this one seems to take the cake. It contains every possible thing I hate in a book...and then does it The Most.

1) Vivian Divine Is Dead? No. Vivian Divine Is A Pathetic Useless White Girl Who Bumbles Around Mexico Making Disparaging Remarks About Those Poor Uncivilized Savages. Honestly, the way this book is written is why I'm so uncomfortable with the term "savage" used how
Monique
Okay another book down, this free time is wonderful—such blessed and happy holidays 2016 has been a year of change, struggle and growth and I am ready to see what 2017 will bring, whew but as far as my favorite pastime I have been sorely missing with school and teaching I must say I even miss books that I struggle through, books that I should not have read and those I will myself to finish—yup yup those who have been with me through a few reads-my wanksters….Those books that I promise myself if ...more
Katie
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vivian Divine is Dead is a unique addition to the young adult contemporary suspense genre. Lauren Sabel crafted a very twisted mystery that left me guessing until the very end. It’s not often that I’m unable to figure things out but that was definitely the case with this one.

Vivian Divine is a spoiled rotten movie star. She was really hard to like at first. Her mom was murdered and her dad pretty much gave up on life after that but that didn’t give her the right to be the bitch that she was. She
Bella
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad to get this one I needed something fresh and new to read, I some times think the covers like this one will turn me away because it seems young and it was a little but don’t always judge a book by its cover!

Vivian divine is a 16 year old movie star. Her mother, Pearl Divine, was one too before she was murdered, six moths before the present time in the book. Her father is a director in Hollywood, and is very successful. He ignores Vivian after Pearl died. Her life has many complications rece
Mariko (The Storybook Kingdom)
Jun 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
This review is also posted on The Storybook Kingdom

I think I'll just jump into this one and start with the good, because there really isn't that much good I can say about Vivian Divine is Dead. It's short. So in the end I didn't feel like I lost out on a lot of reading time. Besides that there really wasn't all that much I liked about it. I was promised "creepy, witty, fast-paced adventure". I got confusion, cheesiness, and a bad soap opera.

I didn't like one character in this book. I can usually
Bridget Jensen
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. I really liked it, its broadly predictable but there are a lot of small surprises. Overall a fun read
I will say however that the author pushed clichés pretty far, exagerated the "poor/ruggedly handsome boy resents rich girl for being priviledged--and he calls her PRINCESS just to drive the point home!" so much that not only did I start strongly disliking the love interest instantly, but their developing love felt so rushed and out of nowhere it was funny. Like author chill
They
Heather Anne
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-reads
Vivian Divine is Dead is unlike any book that I’ve read this year. The title alone is one that captured my attention from the second I heard about the book and the cover is one that is hard to take your eyes off of. As for the story? The story is an original gem and one that captivated me the second I started reading.

I thoroughly enjoyed the main character, Vivian, and the elements she brought to the story written by Lauren Sabel. For me, I am intrigued by the lives of celebrities and this story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)
  • The Things You Kiss Goodbye
  • Exile (Exile, #1)
  • Fugitive X (Revolution 19, #2)
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • Sleep No More (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #1)
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Talker 25 (Talker 25, #1)
  • No Angel
  • Dark Days
  • Life by Committee
  • Dear Killer
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Anything to Have You
  • Wild
  • How to Win at High School
Originally from the Rocky Mountains, Lauren Sabel has returned to the cool mountain air of Boulder, Colorado after living in several wonderful cities that she will always love and continue to visit year after year.

Lauren loves her husband, her kids, her family, her friends, and stories that end happily. She also loves digging into her mind and revealing tiny gems she didn’t know were there.

Lauren