Start by marking “Speakeasy Dead” as Want to Read:
Speakeasy Dead

Speakeasy Dead

(Hellfire Universe Historicals #1)

Bright Young DEAD Things

Have Clara Woodsen's attempts to save her silent film idol from an untimely death unleashed a zombie plague? Or are her speakeasy customers just really bad at dancing the Charleston?

Speakeasy manager Clara Woodsen will do anything to save her silent film idol from an untimely death. Even summon a demon. Even bet her soul she can teach his half-human
Published September 9th 2013 by Pentachronistic Press

To ask other readers questions about Speakeasy Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speakeasy Dead

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I expected more. I should have stopped reading it as soon as I realised one of the protagonists is a seventeen year old girl. I am rarely lucky with those. Clara is not very likeable, to put it mildly. I hated her. Bernie is the other point of view in this story and his chapters are a bit better, but he never gets to shine.
There are some things and views that belong to this age and not in 1920s and some others too, but I won't waste my time writing about that.
Caroline
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let's just call this book what it is - Brilliant! Speakeasy Dead is full of humor, the subtle intelligent kind, and it is a fast paced read with witty characters that are absolutely endearing. Vicky Loebel is a writer I greatly admire because her writing reads effortlessly. This was my first time reading anything zombie related but I picked it up because I enjoyed Loebel's other book, Keys to the Coven, so much. I surprised myself by how easily I could slip into the world of zombies and demons, ...more
Praiz Sophyronja
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yay! This is the first book I finished in 2015 and it was awesome.- If I was a believer of signs, I'd say that this is going to be an awesome year for reading!!!
Gail Gibbs
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Think of the romantic comedies of P. G. Wodehouse, and toss in bootleggers, zombies, witches, warlocks, ghosts, demons, and sex. Not too much sex, though, PG-13 or so, and just a little bit of goriness. Zombies, after all. The humor is excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sheila
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! Set in the Roaring 20's in Falstaff, Arizona during prohibition, a young lady decides she will become a warlock by calling up a demon to say her beloved silent film star Beau Beauregard. Clara is more successful than she thinks. Now Beau is a zombie attached to her. How does she keep him from making more zombies?

I laughed so hard while reading. It was fun! I loved the pictures that were painted by Ms. Loebel's words. She has a delightful way of putting prose on paper. Her use of
Netanella
Mobsters and zombies, witches and warlocks, golems and ghosts, dance contests and prohibition liquor, embalming fluid and some literary license....this is a unique, fun read that had me smiling through most of it. Very enjoyable read.
Paul Beattie
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A clever story, well written and entertaining.
Todd Oliver
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a prequel book to Keys to the Coven. Both books are great as a stand alone or together. I definitely hoping for more in this series! This book switches perspectives from Clara Woodsmen to her cousin Bernard Benjamin as it switches narrators. Yes, the same Woodsmen family from Keys to the Coven, just a little further back in the family tree. This book even adds zombies! I loved it! Of course there was sex! Can't have witches, warlocks, and demons without sex! Great story and excellent nar ...more
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Speakeasy Dead is being marketed as a romantic comedy. It has all the ingredients to be a great screwball 1920’s comedy, including bootleggers, movie stars, fabulous clothes, and zombies. Unfortunately, the characters aren’t very sympathetic or interesting, and the romance is almost non-existent. It’s a fairly entertaining light read, but not terribly engrossing and certainly not romantic.

It’s a hard plot to explain, which is fine, because that’s what sc
Kathryn Theulen dailey
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I loved it!"
Where does Speakeasy Dead rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?
This is a very entertaining book. I loved the book. It is very different than other books I've listened to.

What did you like best about this story?
The 20's setting. I thought that it was interesting to listen to the author write about a bar that had witches running the bar being harassed by the mob guys.

What does Nick Podehl and Emily Beresford bring to the story that you wouldn’t experience if you jus
Andreia Nuno
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally published on NetGalley.

In two words: Absolutely Brilliant! This book has a bit of everything, from horror to adventure and humor. I'm not a big fan of zombie fiction but this one really got to me. The characters are brilliant and witty, it's impossible not to fall in love with them. The alternative perspectives leave no strings hanging and the rhythm of events is really good.

I loved the writing style of Vicky Loebel. I could really visualize the settings, the characte
Deborah
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was funny, sometimes scary and at all times interesting. The narrator does an excellent job giving each character in the story a unique voice. The writing alternates between the main characters, Clara, a lovesick teen and Bernie, her cousin and partner in crime. Because of Clara's crush on her silent movie idol, Beau, she unwittingly subjects them all to the machinations of a Demon. Throw in mobsters, zombies and tainted hooch and you have the makings of a huge disaster. I look forward ...more
Robin Halvorson
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of fun! This was a very riveting story. It is outside of my normal fare but I enjoyed it immensely! It was a little distracting the way the point of view jumped about and the ending wasn't what I expected. Go ahead and read it. You won't be disappointed.

3 may seem low but it isn't. My scale goes like this.

1-Seriously? This got published? It's horrible.
2-This needs a lot of work. Better luck next time.
3-This was an an enjoyable book.
4-This was an exceptional book that I will read again to s
Kreela
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a young witch left to mind a bar while the coven is away. She engages her cousin in a spell to summon a demon with stolen hellfire from the coven, in order to get her man. This backfires, making her beau a zombie. The next thing I know, there is a zombie plague around town, a missing dead body, gangsters stealing the coven's booze...it was rollicking great fun. I especially liked all the secondary characters, and that is rare in a novel nowadays. I desperately hope Vicki Loebel publishes ...more
Jean
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it

Demons, Witches, and Zombies..

This was an odd story with developed characters, a decent plot, and its told from multiple

points of view.

There is also a little humor, a hint of romance, and a few twists and turns, through out the

story line.

Overall, a slightly interesting read or listen with a different take on Zombies.

Nick Podehl did really well with the narration.

Note:
"This audio book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review."
AK Mama Reads
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-review
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, so here I am being honest. I tried for 3 weeks to read this book, every time getting only a few pages further. I simply couldn't make it even halfway through. The character development was dismal and the plot flimsy at best. While I'm not well versed in pulp fiction and noir, I could tell the writer was attempting this style and maybe it's just not my bag. I wouldn't be able to recommend this book based on my own tastes, however, i ...more
Regina
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a perfectly mash up of genres for me yet I never really could get into the story. It just never flowed. Shame as I loved the idea but I felt like I was dumped into a series where I was missing some key information on the characters. Still, our darling soon to be flapper witch/warlock, Clara, becomes involved in a sort of craziness reminiscent of PG Wodehouse and the wild romps his Bertie Wooster would take the reader along on.
Ariella
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review for LoP. Clara wanted to save her favorite movie star. It backfired he became a zombie. Clara was trying to do what she thought was right. Honestly this book was okay not my all time favorite but overall good book.
Essie
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book.

This was a very good. book. I received this book free in exchange for a honest opinion of it.
Ethel
Angela
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Not really a Zombie book but a good read overall
Carey Tynan
Oct 03, 2014
Glenn Nichols
Feb 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Vicky Loebel began her professional life as a systems programmer for NASA and moved through successively more challenging careers before settling in as a writer of tightly-plotted, romantic fiction. She lives on the slopes of Mt. Lemmon, AZ with her sister, three dogs, a rotating assortment of children, and a husband who has the patience of a saint.
“That which does not kill us, very often kills someone else.” 0 likes