Start by marking “The Early Churchills” as Want to Read:
The Early Churchills

The Early Churchills

3.1  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Hardcover
Published by Not Avail (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Early Churchills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Early Churchills

Simon Mcleish
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Originally published on my blog here in May 1998.

A.L. Rowse attempted to do something slightly different with this book; not a biography of an individual, which often ignores much of their family background, nor a genealogical record of the family history, which often ignores much of the character of the members of the family. The family chosen for this is that of the early Churchills (i.e. up until the point where the Marlborough title passed through the female line to the Spencers who took the
Siria
Sep 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
Now mostly worth reading as an example of the kinds of things which could be published as historical writing in the mid 1950s in the UK without anyone batting an eyelid—though the blatant and unapologetic misogyny certainly made both my eyebrows rush towards my hairline. For example, this:

But she [Barbara, Lady Castlemaine] never put herself out to make the King [Charles II] easy; indeed, after she found out that ease was what he valued most, she made him purchase it at a constantly heightened p
Kate Millin
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This book tells the story of the Churchill family who lived during the Cromwellian period right through to the first hanover king George I. The main part of the story is about John Churchill who became the Duke of Marlborough as a reward for his excellent work winning wars for the country especially against the French ar the battle of Blenheim during Queen Anne's reign.

I have always remembered being told that A L Rowse was a significant historian however I found the tone of his writing quite mi
Patrizia
My children hated studying history. To understand why, you need look no further than the textbooks the California public school system used to teach them history. I would always try to explain to them, "Thing is the people who lived then are exactly like the people who live now. We just have better technology."

I was reminded of that while I read this book. It's only a good read for people who are slightly obsessive about little known parts of English history, but -- ahem! -- that would be me.
Dameon Hansen
C.A.
Feb 14, 2016
Ashley
Jul 01, 2017
Alfred Leslie Rowse, CH FBA, known professionally as A. L. Rowse and to his friends and family as Leslie, was a prolific Cornish historian. He is perhaps best known for his poetry about Cornwall and his work on Elizabethan England. He was also a Shakespearean scholar and biographer. He developed a widespread reputation for irascibility and intellectual arrogance.

One of Rowse's great enthusiasms wa
More about A.L. Rowse...