Start by marking “Red Storm Rising” as Want to Read:
Red Storm Rising

Red Storm Rising

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  66,434 ratings  ·  1,037 reviews
When Moslem fundamentalists blow up a key Soviet oil complex, making an already critical oil shortage calamitous, the Russians figure they are going to have to take things into their own hands. They plan to seize the Persian Gulf, and more ambitiously, to neutralize NATO. Thus begins Red Storm, an audacious gamble that uses diplomatic maneuver to cloak a crash military bui ...more
Audio CD
Published March 3rd 2003 by Books on Tape (first published August 28th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Red Storm Rising, please sign up.
Micki The last paragraph of the author's note states:

The last paragraph of the author's note states:

Although Larry's name does not appear on the title page, this book is his as much as mine. We never did figure out the division of labor, but what Larry and I accomplished was to complete a book as co-authors when our only contract was a handshake--and have a whole lot of fun doing it! It is for the reader to decide how successful we have been.

I always assumed that it was a "legal" thing and since a handshake is not a binding contract that Mr. Clancy then proceeded to have the novel published under his contract with G.P. Putnam's Sons. I did notice though when I went to the book to copy the paragraph above, that the Copyright is by Jack Ryan Enterprises Ltd, and Larry Bond.

Also after Mr. Clancy died, Mr. Bond did an interview with USNI News in which he stated:

"I was blathering on about “Convoy” and [Clancy] said, “That would make a good book.” He could see the potential of the story and asked me if I wanted to work on it with him. I was his apprentice, I wrote maybe five sentences of the thing. He would run chapters by me and I would look over particular weapon systems and [how the Russians might react]. If you’re going to apprentice for somebody, apprentice for Tom Clancy for God’s sake. I watched him put the story together. I watched him lay everything out, create the characters, and fix it when it wasn’t working right."
Interview: Larry Bond on Tom Clancy
By: Sam LaGrone
October 8, 2013

An even better interview was done by the FP group in which Larry Bond describes in more detail where he thought Tom Clancy found some of his ideas. http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/10/11/t...

Hope this helps a little bit. (less)
Micki The reason you aren't seeing this book on any "Order of Books" list is because this is a stand-alone book. It does not use any of the characters that…moreThe reason you aren't seeing this book on any "Order of Books" list is because this is a stand-alone book. It does not use any of the characters that Mr. Clancy used in his other books. That being said and the fact that I am a real "Jack Ryan" and "John Clark" fan, I do remember this as being an excellent, well told story with a great cast of characters. I am currently reading the "Jack Ryan Universe" in chronological order by time they happened instead of order by publisher's date. When I am through I also plan on reading Mr. Clancy's stand-alone novels again.(less)

·  66,434 ratings  ·  1,037 reviews

Start your review of Red Storm Rising
Joe
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, clancy. If you like his stuff, you'll love this book. If you like the books that he didn't write that have his name on them, you'll probably really like this book.

Few people know that this book was written as part of a competition that clancy had with Stephen King, to see who could write the longest book in a week. Sadly for clancy, King won, but that's only because Clancy took 15 minutes out of the contest to call up the army and ask them the names of some cool guns and planes a
Maggie
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My relationship with this book got off to a bad start. I've never known much about or cared much for the Cold War, and while I read of the Russian Politburo plotting a way to seize oil from the Persian Gulf without incurring NATO opposition, I was wiki-ing terms like "KGB" and "Kremlin". Things didn't improve when the Russians failed to break up NATO, World War III started, and I was searching my dictionary for things like "fighter" and "carrier".

But 830 pages gives you a long time t
Joseph Spuckler
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, fiction
The procedural book of what could have been World War III. Told through the eyes of a wide array of people from an Air Force meteorologist in Iceland, a navy reservist who works for the CIA, a stealth bomber pilot, a female aircraft courier, a submarine captain, Russian politicians, and others the war between the Warsaw Pact And NATO erupts. Not your typical war story. Recommended for those who lived through the Cold War.
Robert
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read it once when I was too young to understand many key themes so it was an action thriller at the time. During my second read through my perspective changed, gone was the line between clearly good and clearly evil. Instead I found myself rooting for the Russians. Not because of anti-americanism or any foolish rubbish, but simply because it seemed the west had an abundance of four leaf clovers and lucky charms. Any and all luck was on their side and despite the desperation of the situation, A ...more
Harv Griffin
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: naval action nuts like me
Shelves: own, reviewed
pic of my copy of RED STORM RISING

I’m guessing Tom Clancy novels are mostly a “guy thing.” If it’s a Tom Clancy novel I’m probably going to check it out. I’m something of a “Naval Action” freak. I blame the 1943 Lawrence O’Donnell science fiction short story CLASH BY NIGHT, which I read in Junior High, for my fetish. Asimov made me want to read more science fiction; Lawrence made me want more Naval Action!

RED STORM RISING presents a global non-nuclear war between the U.S. and Russia that involves our NATO allies. The first read-through I
Tim
Feb 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful, boring overlong story of war and rape. The only good portion of this novel aside from the victim finding love is the end which should have ocurred one third of the way through this travesty. 2 of 10 stars
Josh
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Clancy's writing style leaves a lot to be desired sometimes, even to a fan of this genre. Let me just say off the bat that this book (like most of Clancy's novels) is rife with blatantly false stereotypes of Russian and Soviet characters, and a very poor understanding of the Russian language. Maybe the tense relationship between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. when Clancy wrote these books means he had little practical experience to go on, but given some of the other, more accurate depictions of S ...more
Mahendra Palsule
Dry narration of hypothetical WWIII. Full of strategic & tactical military, naval, and air combat technical details. Hardly any character development, pages after pages of insipid writing. Best avoided.
Tarjei Vågstøl
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, fiction
This is my favorite Clancy novel. I'm currently re-reading it for the fourth time.

Published in 1986, at the heigth of reaganism, it probably read as a near-future techno-thriller. Now (2012), it reads as an alternative history thriller: What if the USSR chose to risk a limited war with Nato in order to gain a geopolitical advantage in the Middle East?

Don't let me mislead you: The political set-up is dull and at the point of naïve. The main point of this part is to lay down
Thomas Strömquist
In Sweden (at least) this one rode high on the success of the first few Ryan books. The characters of this one is even more one-dimensional and the whole story has a feeling of taking place on a higher level than personal most of the time. Unavoidable due to the scale of things, I guess. Nevertheless, it is quite suspenseful and if you're going in with an understanding of what you are about to read, it's captivating and readable.
Asghar Abbas
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iceland

Sooooooooo

Sigur Ros

The cover, that is.

The book? This was a true work of art.

A tour de force.

Only one of Clancy's books, I would ever recommend. Otherwise, his novels should be used as bricks in constructions of something more useful.
Corey
As much of a fan I am of Tom Clancy and his work, I can't believe it's taken me so friggin long to read RSR! Well I've finally read it and haven't come back disappointed!

Red Storm Rising is Tom Clancy's second written novel, co-written by his friend Larry Bond. Red Storm Rising follows a World War III scenario between NATO and the Soviet Union, set during the Cold War, after terrorists from Azerbaijan attacks and destroys an Oil Refinery in Russia, threatening to cripple the Soviet Union's oil
Redditt494
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Red Storm Rising is basically a fictitious story about a conventional war between NATO and the Soviet Union. Written by Tom Clancy, it is one of the best books I have read. It is an incredibly realistic portrayal of what a real shooting war would be like. The book begins with Arab extremists sabotaging and ultimately destroying a key soviet oil refinery. Crippling an already shaky economy. In desperation, the soviet leaders, or Politburo, launch an offensive attack against NATO and the US to gai ...more
James
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KB
Red Storm Rising warrants five (red) stars on the basis of a riveting and well-structured narrative. Tom Clancy certainly knew how to write an effective thriller when he created this imaginative and nightmarish vision of a high-technology, non-nuclear Third World War set during the 1980s. The story unfolds from numerous perspectives, providing the reader with an immersive view of the entire conflict, primarily as experienced by various American and Soviet military personnel.

More than three decades af
Thomas Waite
'Red Storm Rising,'' Tom Clancy's second novel after his phenomenally successful ''The Hunt for Red October,'' continues to demonstrate this writer's amazing ability to assimilate modern weaponry and warfare into a thrilling and frightening realistic tale. The Soviet Union, having suffered an attack that creates a critical energy shortage, decides they must seize the Persian Gulf. But to do this, of course, they must first neutralize NATO's considerable forces. Clancy once again is off to the ra ...more
Jamie Shew
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I got this book for Christmas as a teenager and did not sleep as I read it. It was such an engrossing read especially as a teenager in the 1980's. My guess is a teenager today would not understand why it had such an impact as the Cold War is something they study in history. Tom Clancy was so detailed in setting up the plot, you had to push through the many chapters setting up a climax. I have always considered a Clancy book like a roller coaster, you go up a long hill really slow until that mome ...more
Greg Strandberg
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is a good book that many might skip. Don't! Just because it's in the Cold War era, it's a really good volume and shows the early character building of Clancy. I liked how some of the twists worked out at the end.
Belhor
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Maybe I should have read this book before I read "Red Army".
Wilmar Luna
Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising was the longest, dullest, most terribly written P.O.S. I have ever read. Again I have to ask, “How did this author become a multi-million dollar best seller?” I was the target demographic for this book. It had airplane battles (sorely lacking in detail), naval battles (had way too much detail), tank battles, and ground infantry reconnaissance missions. Everything about this book was right up my alley. So why did I hate it?.

Sadly, the same problem that I
Wazoo
A 3.75. Some parts were slightly over-dramatic/sounded a bit over-the-top, especially at the beginning when I was just getting into the book, but for the most part, I enjoyed it—even as someone who isn't familiar with the military or its terminology at all. I thought Clancy did a great job of making his story understandable to your general wide audience; again, as a reader who is wholly unfamiliar with the book's subject matter, I still found it interesting and easy enough to read and enjoy the over ...more
Aaron
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book put me in a strange spot. I'm too young to really remember the Cold War so I don't have any really deep-seated animosity to the USSR. As a result, I have a really hard time cheering for the Americans in this book, who seemed to have no trouble accomplishing their objectives.

One particular viewpoint seemed to endlessly repeat the same storyline: they sense a possible submarine, spend a few pages tracking it, then kill it with the first shot of a torpedo. Afterward, the chara
Michael Chrobak
As a huge fan of the Jack Ryan books by this author, I was somewhat disappointed by this novel. Although it had a lot of the same Clancy flair, with the obviously well researched references and well constructed subplots, it lacked the intrigue and thrill of the Ryan series. It was also fairly repetitive, as the majority of the book is primarily detailed descriptions of how various units (ground, air and naval) would have prepared for and responded to different types of threats. At other times I ...more
Jeff Dawson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book that hooked me on Tom Clancy. It’s been thirty plus years since I read it. The one thing I do remember is reading it for three straight days on the porch. My wife, at the time, was not a happy camper. Shocking. I tried to get her interested. She read maybe thirty pages and didn’t understand my excitement. Perhaps this is why the marriage didn’t last?

I will be rereading this thriller in the near future.

Five Stars.
Patrick Peterson
I read this book within a year or two of it comming out in 1986 and enjoyed it very much then. I went on to read all the Clancy books till he started writing (with a collaborator) the Ops Center series, which I never did read. I liked all I read, but this was my favorite.

For some reason, my son and wife picked this out to read together over these last holidays. I settled right in to listening with avid attention. One night I did the reading out loud to them. The next night Mary was busy and Art
Sue
I believe this was my least liked of the Tom Clancy books I have read - it dragged on in a few sections, and the military maneuver details were overdone to my taste. However, since it was the second one I read and the first was really good, I kept going, and was glad I did.
Marty Fried
I read this long ago. I don't even remember what it was about, so I won't give it a very high rating. But I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it, FWIW.
Justin Bergendahl
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Clancy book and I really enjoyed it. I was interested in the storyline, characters, politics, and technology throughout the whole book. Don’t expect any philosophical narrative about global warfare though. This is relatively shallow like most movie-like best sellers but Clancy sounds convincing enough about his technological knowledge to let you feel like you’ve finished the book with some gained insight to compliment the adrenaline.

Even though it’s over 700 pages, Clancy keeps it inte
wally
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clancy
finished this one this late morning 24 jun 17, great story, 4.8968794 stars. quite the tale...air/sea battles, air/air, air/land, sea battles, the whole shebang...iceland...europe...various parts of the atlantic. mind-boggling, the number of missiles. what was it? one french exocet hit the brit ship down south? i think i liked the story of iceland the most, if i had to chose. the rest of it is pretty "gripping" too. subs. i guess they have nothing like "iff"...other than dead-give-aways. read on ...more
Am
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched and realistic portrayal of a late Cold War NATO / USSR conventional confrontation, which holds up chillingly well even today. Naval buffs will enjoy the details, don't come for deep character development and inter-personal relationships. The players, platforms, and units are comparable to today, and the game of course remains the same.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Number 1 22 Oct 10, 2014 09:45AM

• Team Yankee
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Red Phoenix (Red Phoenix #1)
  • State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand (Scott Dixon, #4)
  • Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Point of Impact (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #5)
  • Red Army
  • Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • The Majors (Brotherhood of War, #3)
  • Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • Cauldron
  • The Colonels (Brotherhood of War, #4)
  • Vortex
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • Full Force and Effect (Jack Ryan, #10)
  • Support and Defend (Jack Ryan Jr, #6)
  • Acts of War (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #4)
  • DEFCON One (Steve Wickham, #1)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda, #1)
  • The Enemy Within
  • The Third World War:  August 1985
  • Tom Clancy Presents: Act of Valor
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of the Tiger (B
“A Guards regiment, eh, Comrade Colonel? These tit-sucking children could not guard a Turkish whorehouse; much less do anything worthwhile inside of it!”

While commenting on how unprepared his troops are. -Alekseyev”
1 likes