Start by marking “Hannah, Delivered” as Want to Read:
Hannah, Delivered

Hannah, Delivered

Late one night in a busy St. Paul hospital, a nurse midwife drags Hannah Larson out from behind her reception desk to assist with a birth. When Hannah witnesses that baby tumble into the world, her secure, conventional life is upended by a fierce desire to deliver babies. So begins Hannah’s journey away from her comfort zone.In a midwifery apprenticeship in New Mexico, she ...more
Published May 1st 2014 by Koehler Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hannah, Delivered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah, Delivered

Start your review of Hannah, Delivered
Camie
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
One night while Hannah Larson is working at a busy hospital in Minnesota, she is called away from her job at the reception desk to assist an overburdened staff with the delivery of a baby. This proves to be a life changing event, as she then decides to become a midwife. Though this book is pure fiction, the highly emotional content, well researched information, and first person narrative, make it read like a memoir.
Midwifery is a controversial subject , but an interesting one to me . I am both
Katie Boudreaux
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! I am so glad I found it! Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew is not a midwife, but she embodies the spirit of a midwife with her belief that "birth...is the final frontier of women's rights, health, and spiritual wisdom in the United States." If you were to ask me why I want to become a midwife, those words are a concise and articulate version of all of my crazy, mixed-up, convoluted, passionate reasons. There are so many quotes that I loved from this book, particularly the times when ...more
Mona
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start? First thought – that silly question whether writers should write what they know. Ridiculous question – how could one not. One may place the story in a different time and location with the protagonists following careers unlike one’s own, yet the author still shines through. For me it was the sense of familiarity with the Lutheran background. Whether in Connecticut or in Minnesota, my adopted state, the positions of the Pastor’s daughter is like sitting with the next-door neighbor ...more
Nadine Slavinski
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a person who tends toward action / adventure and mystery novels and who rarely (um, never) reads women's fiction, I am not the type of reader you would expect this book to appeal to. I read it because it was recommended by a friend – and I am delighted I took a break from my usual fare to do so. Hannah, Delivered is a beautiful story, beautifully told that speaks to a broad audience - quite simply, because great writing and great characters function independently of genre.

Themes of family,
Kristen
I will read almost anything about midwifery. Odd, since I have no children and am old enough that it's unlikely that I will ever have children. But for some reason, the medical aspects and human care of midwifery fascinate me.
I found this book a little heavy on the "women's bodies and magical and they know exactly what to do in order to have a healthy and sacred birth" type of woo. Let's keep in mind that women had a 1-2% chance of death every time they delivered (and they did it a LOT). And
Amy
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some lovely bits of writing in here, but there were other parts that were downright preachy. I don't think the structure served the overall story terribly well either.
Angela Amman
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hannah, Delivered by Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew is a novel about birth — the births of babies, the birth of a midwife, and the birth of a movement toward more thoughtful and deliberate birthing practices in the United States. It’s also a story about expectations, dreams, and knowing which ones to chase and which ones we need to let back into the universe to become something else entirely.

Andrew has crafted a beautiful tale, both in plot construction and in language. I wasn’t sure Hannah, Delivered
Jennifer Donovan
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. The writing was spare, but so evocative and lovely.

Hannah works as support staff in a hospital in Minnesota. When she sees the birth of a baby, something is awakened within her. With the encouragement and support of her nurse midwife friend Maryann, she ends up spending two years in New Mexico becoming a certified midwife.

Even though home births are illegal in Minnesota, she needs to return home, and she begins teaching classes and yes -- delivering babies.

The characters
Faith
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! It reads like a memoir, but it's a fictional story of a woman named Hannah becoming a midwife. We follow her from her humble beginnings in a traditional hospital setting when she is first bitten by the birth bug. She then travels to New Mexico where she learns the art of birth. Hannah is continually troubled by thoughts of her own birth and how her parents have shrouded the circumstances around her birth. This becomes a theme throughout her career, one that she ...more
Carol E.
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the story of birth, and specifically of a young woman who realizes she wants and needs to make a career change and to become a midwife. This book was obviously well researched. There is a lot of information on the training, the work itself, and laws and regulations that govern this field. Lest you think that sounds boring, it is not! The story is engaging, and the characters are varied and likeable. The writing is beautiful!

I felt a kinship with the main character, Hannah, in some ways.
Kelley Ellis
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

What a beautiful story. I just finished and can't stop crying. I'm a bit of a birth nut, I've had two c-sections then a VBA2C. I identified with Melinda. I identified with Hannah. To have a sudden awakening where you realize that Birth Matters. I loved this book. I read a ton and never write reviews. I HAD to write a review for this book, and all I can say is that it's just beautiful. Loved it.
Linda
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo-read
The journey of a woman who discovers her true calling as a midwife. An enjoyable and inspiring story about the natural process of birth.

I would never have chosen this book but was reading it for a book group and I am glad I did.
Molly Westerman
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wrote a longer review at my blog. But long story short, this is an engaging novel full of birth stories and a deep sense of place.
J
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nicole
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book.

There was potential in the story. I think the author had a good idea trying to weave the story of Hannah and her history into the story of Hannah as a midwife. She didn’t quite pull it off, though. There were parts of the story that seemed clumsily written. The style of writing changed as the novel progressed. I did not like how there were suddenly introductions to each chapter further into the book.

As far as the discussion of birth, I agree that hospitals
Barbara Warner
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insight into birthing in the USA

Home birth used I be the norm until 50 years ago in the UK
This book contained a lot of medical jargon not for the faint hearted
Was the story true or a description of American attitude to home birth
I personally enjoyed it but it would not be for everyone

Misty
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excerpted from a fuller review at femmeliterate

Hannah, Delivered is a lyric exploration of the challenges of birthing: the birth of a child that makes a woman a mother, and the birth of the self that makes a woman an integrated, fully-realized adult. Hannah finds the second through her experience of becoming midwife to the first, and her journey is filled with challenge, splendor, tough love, raw honesty, and a gentle-voiced, rousing crusade in favor of natural childbirth.

The book is framed as a
Patricia
.It's unusual for me to repeatedly notice how well written a novel is, without losing the momentum of the plot and narrative. This is an extremely well written book from any angle or device.
The protagonist, Hannah, is a hospital clerk who is summoned for help in an emergency baby delivery. Still filled with questions after the death of her own mother, she is fascinated by childbirth and eventually travels to New Mexico to learn midwifery.
Her experience at a midwifery clinic culminates with her
Lee Roversi
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
okay, so full disclosure . . . i am a pregnancy, birth and baby junkie . . .my three home births with my precious children were truly the highest times of my life. . . i get weepy when i see birth photos or read birth stories. . .i get angry when i hear of gross interference in hospital births. okay - that all said - this is a lovely and heart warming story of a young midwife and her personal coming-of-age through her practice. i breezed through it and really really liked it. not to be confused ...more
Melissa
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - I wanted to like this book more, but a few things prevented me from doing so. It read like a memoir, but almost too much at times. I wish we could have known more about the proceedings after the birth and how that all unfolded. For such a slow build-up, I was disappointed to see it end so abruptly. I also wish Hannah had more faith in herself (or in something) throughout the book. I found myself not rooting for her because it didn't seem like she ever knew what she wanted. Overall, a ...more
Mariah McKenzie
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this story. My husband and I chose to use a midwife for the birth of both our children (though not at home.) Still, I didn’t imagine being drawn to a story where a midwife was the main character. But this has been my favorite book that I read last year. It captivated me easily and made me care for the characters. It made me too love learning about midwifery, imagining being one myself even—and then in the course of reading and because of key phrases within the book, I’ve come to ...more
Heather
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story of midwives in America. A fiction book with insights into the practice. I especially enjoyed hearing about the clinic in New Mexico. The main character Hannah learns a lot about herself from examining her own birth. I was very blessed to have received this book thru the goodreads.com giveaway. Author Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew even signed my book with a special note. (My daughter's name is Hannah so this book is special to me). Thank You!!!
Alison
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am drawn to all books about labor and delivery so I knew I wanted to read this book. It was a little slow for me, but I really enjoyed Hannah's journey and how she was developing as a midwife. The only reason I couldn't give it more than four stars is because it ended so abruptly. I still had so many questions. Overall, a good read.
Kathy Biesheuvel
Fascinating

A good plot is essential. Character development is important. But the thing that draws you inexorably into a story is highly skilled use of the written word. Ms. Andrew paints vivid pictures with her descriptions, and it is a pleasure to pause and re-read many, many paragraphs just to savor the wonderful writing. I hope to read more from this author.
Sharon
Dec 10, 2014 added it
This book is written by a MN woman about a new midwife in the 1990's in small town MN where midwives were still riding a fine legal line between acceptance and being a renegade. Excellent story about Hannah's personal growth, learning about and coming to terms with her own birth and childhood and establishing an adult relationship with her own father.
Teresa
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not completely what I expected when I first picked this book up to read, but I did enjoy it. I thought it would be stories of home births by a midwife and it did include some of that. However, it was more about one young woman and her journey to becoming a midwife including her struggle with her father and the decision on whether to follow her heart or do what her father wanted her to do.
Patsy
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeing into a midwife world.

Most the book was informative . However some parts were not contributed to the overall story. Possible more how the family was later after births could be used. But then being free clinic perhaps just a fact of the business not to hear how new births turned out.
Sandra Green
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read

This story is well written. I've read books about midwives but I believe this ranks among the best. I couldn't put it down..
I was surprised at her reveals. I won't say which surprised me most. I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I highly recommend
this story. If you are a mother it will take you back to the births of your babies. Read it..you won't be sorry.
Peggy
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at midwifery. I believe in the advantages of medical science, but this book is a good glimpse into the heart and mind of one committed to assisting mothers to give birth on their own terms. It is a tribute to the wonder of womanhood.
Jamie Howison
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel was written by someone with whom I shared a writing week at the Collegeville Institute in the summer of 2012, and I've been asked to offer a review/reflection for the Institute website. Once that is done, I'll share it here!

• The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind
  • Three Bags Full
  • The Roxy Letters
  • Smacked: A Story of White-Collar Ambition, Addiction, and Tragedy
  • Call It Courage
  • Who Rescued Who
  • Smut
  • The Midwife of Hope River (Hope River #1)
  • Give a Girl a Knife
  • The Birth House
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River #2)
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • The Knockoff
  • Nine Months
  • The Secrets of Midwives
  • Once a Midwife (Hope River #3)
  • The Way I Used to Be
Hello, fellow readers! I'm using Goodreads to track my reading, to find like-minded book-lovers who want to share titles, and to connect with readers of my books. Feel free to follow my reviews or become a virtual friend.

As a writer, I'm passionate about creating stories that nourish the soul. I love exploring how faith functions, both inside and outside of religious traditions, and depicting the
“I heard a wisp of regret in Dad’s voice and pictured him angled against the stove in the” 0 likes