Start by marking “The Vacationers” as Want to Read:

3.15  ·  Rating details ·  56,992 ratings  ·  5,831 reviews
For the Posts, a two-week trip to the Balearic island of Mallorca with their extended family and friends is a celebration: Franny and Jim are observing their thirty-fifth wedding anniversary, and their daughter, Sylvia, has graduated from high school. The sunlit island, its mountains and beaches, its tapas and tennis courts, also promise an escape from the tensions simmeri ...more
Published May 29th 2014 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about The Vacationers, please sign up.
Alison Waldmann I totally agree. I struggled to finish this book and didn't enjoy it at all. I really disliked the characters. They were ALL so cold, rude, shallow,…moreI totally agree. I struggled to finish this book and didn't enjoy it at all. I really disliked the characters. They were ALL so cold, rude, shallow, selfish, judgmental and one-dimensional, save for the gay couple who were really the only some-what likable characters in the book. It was sad that Carmen couldn't have been given more depth. I felt like I was reading a lame story about a bunch of jerks. The author's way with words was excellent however. (less)
Beth I quit at page 155. The characters do not evolve. The story goes around and around day by day. I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing. Its…moreI quit at page 155. The characters do not evolve. The story goes around and around day by day. I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing. Its a shame because the idea of the story was great, just fell flat.(less)

·  56,992 ratings  ·  5,831 reviews

Meghan
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, awful-people
I kept reading in the hopes that someone would drown.

Or maybe at the end of the book the plane would crash and the whole detestable, wealthy, privileged family would die on their way home from Mallorca, where their dream vacation in a giant private house near the ocean had been marred by secrets coming to light and infidelity.

Really, the only character I liked here was Carmen, the personal trainer girlfriend of the older son, who commits the unpardonable sin of being ten years older than him, w
Michael Jensen
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I confess to being utterly baffled by this book. I'm not referring to the book itself, which had a minimal plot that was very easy to follow. I'm referring to the critical reaction to The Vacationers. It had glowing reviews and seemed to be on every summer reading list. After reading it, I can only shake my head in wonder and ask why. Mass hallucination? Bribery? All the critics were friends of the writer? I don't know what else would explain this book being anointed this summer's must read.

The

JennE
Jun 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
I do not know why I kept reading this book. It's basically a book about a family on vacation in Mallorca...Some of the members have cheated outside their respective relationships at one time or another and all the resentment/secrets finally come to light.. and not even in any exciting events. They just talk about it.That's. it. On and on and on. Mostly whining.
Nothing really "happens" in this book..it's like attending one big boring family reunion where you get seated beside your seventh cousin
Corey
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2014
A beautifully written boring story
Jess
Sep 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was about as satisfying as eating a 12 pack of sugarless cinnamon gum for Sunday dinner.

This is the tale of Franny: a short, fat, petty shrew of a woman who goes on vacation with her gay (of course!) best friend and his partner; her philandering husband Jim; her spoiled, useless children; and Carmen, poor, poor Carmen. Franny is using their 2 weeks in Mallorca to decide whether or not to stay in her marriage to her cheating, unemployed, albeit tall, husband.

Franny toys with the idea o
Jenny Roche
Jul 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
I guess I'm going to miss saying "god I hate this book" every 10 minutes. I can't stand it anymore. I just realized I have two chapters left and it hasn't stopped sucking once. Throwing in the towel.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

“Secrets are no fun for anyone. Keep that in mind.”

When my husband asked what I was reading about over the weekend, the answer was simple: Nothing. He followed up that response with, “uh oh so it’s a 1 Star book then?” I surprised him by saying no and here I am giving The Vacationers a solid 3.5. I still stand by this being about “nothing” when compared to most other books I read, but I remember a certain television show whi
Maxwell
A quick summer read following vapid, detestable characters who try to escape their problems but ultimately have to face them while on family vacation. Basically exactly what you expect it to be. It delivers on drama and wraps up nicely. Perfect for making you feel a little bit better about yourself too.
Oriana
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well this was just an absolute delight.

I will admit that I was hesitant; although I had high hopes, I didn't love Emma's previous book, Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures, so I didn't expect to be reading her again any time soon. But my own vacation snuck up on me, and suddenly I was staring down three long flights and nine days at the beach, with not a thing on my shelves that I was thrilled about. A quick last-minute dash to the Strand turned up a proof of this, and here we are.

And my goodness,
Kimberly
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Ron Charles
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emma Straub’s “The Vacationers” is so much fun that I’d be willing to housesit her cat. A romantic comedy that evokes the classics, the story opens at the start of the Post family’s much-anticipated two-week trip to Spain. “The Posts hadn’t vacationed in years,” Straub tells us, “not like this.” Franny Post, the all-controlling wife and mother, “the maypole around which the rest of the world had to dance and twirl,” has spent months planning every detail, which, of course, guarantees a tour of f ...more
Linda Wells
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A New York City family of four and three friends take a dream vacation to the beautiful island of Mallorca, off the coast of Spain. Franny, the "mother in chief" arranges a house swap and they all settle into a fabulous, spacious villa, complete with swimming pool, gourmet kitchen, and scenic vistas in all directions. Plus, the beach is only ten minutes away.

What a wonderful set up for a great story! From the middle aged couple with marital problems, to their virginal eighteen year old daughter
Kristina
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
The Vacationers by Emma Straub is a book that was hyped last year as the perfect beach read. I don’t read books based on seasons, but I guess if the definition of a “beach read” is a novel filled with shallow characters, clichéd situations, and the faintest hint of racism, then The Vacationers is the perfect beach read. Note: the plot in this book is extremely predictable and there are no “ah-ha!” moments, but I discuss pretty much everything. So if this is going to bother you, stop reading.

The
Julie Ehlers
Initally The Vacationers seemed like the perfect novel for a midsummer heat wave: A family trip to Mallorca. A gorgeous vacation home with a pool. A sixtyish straight married couple; their college-bound 18-year-old daughter; their 28-year-old son and his 40-year-old girlfriend whom no one likes; the wife's best friend and his husband. Everyone keeping some kind of secret from everyone else. I love this kind of small setting, where everything is about the interactions among the characters. I sett ...more
☮Karen
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book over the course of 24 hours. I feel like I have been on this beautiful vacation and back again, with an engaging family and their two friends. I simply adored this book. First off, what a wonderful vacation spot, Mallorca Spain. I found this lovely island on the map, and just as I suspected it is the actual home of Rafa Nadal, who I'm sure was the inspiration for the tennis star mentioned in the book, by a different name. Secondly, the characters were well drawn and loveable, mo ...more
Mary Ronan Drew
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
By the author of the disappointing Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures. I was skeptical about the book because of my experience with Emma Straub's earlier novel. And rightly so.

I borrowed this because 1. hope springs eternal, and 2. (blushes) there were more people on the library waiting list for this book than any of the other books I had been investigating, 32. When will I ever learn?

The people are unlikeable - I think (they are poorly portrayed), the plot is almost non-existent, there is no loca
Remy Kothe
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very thin, even for a summer read. Thin on plot, thin on characters...too cliche. The book read almost like a story pitch for a movie. I had expected it to be a little more fun. Ah well...
Vanessa
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5. Appropriately I was reading this book while on vacation so it was the perfect backdrop for my holiday reading, this didn't require gamuts of concentration so if your after a light holiday read this is the perfect pick. The story revolves around a family trying to reconnect with each other, each one of them heading into different directions in their day to day lives they have somewhat detached from each other and each have their own secrets, while on vacation to Mallorca these secrets start ...more
Pamela
Apr 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Book club or not, I just can't hang with these spoiled, dysfunctional, nauseously annoying and shallow wannabe A-Listers. After reading several reviews voicing similar opinions, I wondered how this book made so many "Must Read" summer lists. And then I thought - Ah, the power of marketing: making dandelions smell and sell like roses. Fleecing the masses. Case in point: Pet Rocks.
r.b.
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite thing about this novel is the love Emma Straub has for her characters. It emanates from every page like a balmy Mallorcan breeze and before you know it, you love the Posts and friends, finding it sad to say goodbye when The Vacationers ends.
Larry H
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Other than holidays and weddings, there's nothing quite like a vacation with family and friends to hit all the right buttons on the dysfunction scale. No matter how idyllic, relaxing, and/or fun the plans seem like they'll be, some type of crisis, tension, or anguish (if not all three) is sure to arise, and turn everything at least slightly topsy-turvy.

And so it goes in Emma Straub's newest novel, the fun, breezy, The Vacationers. New Yorkers Franny and Jim Post have planned a two-week vacation
Cathleen
Jun 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The kindest thing I can say is that I am not the audience for this book.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2016
I chose this book from the library shelves because of the cover and the title - I was going on vacation and wanted some lightness to add variety to the books I was bringing otherwise. This one is so light it could almost float away! It is the story of a dysfunctional (but rich) family on a vacation in beautiful, idyllic Mallorca. Right before leaving, the patriarch has revealed his affair with an intern at his magazine, which has led to his premature "retirement."

I feel like Emma Straub created
Ange H
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
The summer vacation - two weeks in a beautiful rented home in Mallorca - has been long planned, but recent developments have changed the tone of the trip and given everyone something to think about. New Yorkers Frannie and Jim are struggling with the aftermath of infidelity, and need to figure out if they can save their marriage. Their daughter Sylvia has just broken up with her boyfriend, with whom she had hoped to lose her virginity before heading off to college. Their son needs to decide if h ...more
Dianne
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
More wry and observant than fluffy, a vacation read with a little bit of a bite. Jim and Franny Post from Manhattan take a family vacation to Mallorca to celebrate their thirty-fifth wedding anniversary - although at the moment, they aren't exactly speaking. Accompanying them are their angsty but droll teen-aged daughter and shiftless grown son, the son's older girlfriend who no one likes, and Franny's gay best friend and his husband. Everyone has a secret or a "situation," and the story is told ...more
Mandy
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I rated this book a 3, mainly because I wasn't pulled into it the way I hoped I would be. The beginning was very dull and the family seemed completely nutty. They go to Mallorca for a two week vacation to run away from their problems but all of their problems seem to follow them. Everyone seems to have an issue with someone else that is on the vacation with them and there is a lot of tension in the house. I just couldn't get into it and I really didn't care for the characters. Some were totally ...more
A Lib Tech Reads
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
Emma Straub
Rating: 3/5
Note: I won a copy of The Vacationers from a Goodreads giveaway.

Before diving into this, I wasn't sure what to do expect. I won this through a Goodreads giveaway, and I haven't read anything by Emma Straub before. My thought process went a little something like this: Oh excellent, another book I might read halfway, struggle through it, and eventually give up on it. The reason behind this caution might have stemmed from my sister. She read it first, while I fi
Margaret
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Vacationers is no vacation at all. Unless your idea of vacation is waiting for the cheater to get decked, the annoying mother to get her due, or the sulking virgin to find her Romeo. I usually don't review a book before my book club has talked about it but our gathering is 2 weeks out and I want to get this book behind me.

I just can't do books where I don't like the characters. This family was believable, their predicaments realistic and their faults quite human. But they aren't fun to be around
Vanessa Werle
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Easy to read...fluffy summer book with everything wrapped up at the end-which I don't necessarily like because life isn't that way. But it's an enjoyable book.
Snotchocheez
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

(Curious how this is the second consecutive novel I've read (the other being Susan Rieger's The Divorce Papers) whose marketing wizards compare it to Maria Semple's Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Like Gone Girl for the suspense world, it's almost like ...Bernadette's evoked as a measuring stick every time they try to market a "light-and fluffy comedy" title. Given Emma Straub's The Vacationers and Rieger's novel bear almost no resemblance whatsoever to ...Bernadette, you can't help but har
Be Happy and Healthy! Take a Vacation 1 4 Jan 12, 2019 03:46AM
  • Sea Creatures
  • The Actress
  • Visitation Street
  • The Engagements
Emma Straub is the New York Times‒bestselling author of The Vacationers, Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures, and the short story collection Other People We Married. Her fiction and nonfiction have been published in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Vogue, Elle, and Condé Nast Traveler, and she is a contributing writer for Rookie. Straub's work has been published in fifteen countries.
“Families were nothing more than hope cast out in a wide net, everyone wanting only the best.” 22 likes
“There was nothing in life harder or more important than agreeing every morning to stay the course, to go back to your forgotten self of so many years ago, and to make the same decision. Marriages, like ships, needed steering, and steady hands at the wheel.” 19 likes