Start by marking “Return to Promise: A Best Selling Western Holiday Romance” as Want to Read:
Return to Promise: A Best Selling Western Holiday Romance

Return to Promise: A Best Selling Western Holiday Romance (Heart of Texas #8)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,403 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The town of Promise, Texas, is a good place to live, to raise a family, to spend the rest of your days with the person you love.

Cal Patterson and his wife, Jane--also known as Dr. Texas--certainly think so. The last thing they expect is a threat to their marriage. But in September, disagreements begin to escalate--with the "help" of an attractive young woman who's got her
Published October 15th 2013 by Mira Books (first published October 1999)

Mareli
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story about Jane and Cal. Both of them needed to resolve their issues, expecially Cal who is a bit headstrong and sometimes an a@@ ;)

I'm saying hello to this series. I liked it very much and I recommend it!
Maureen Balog
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

Debbie Macomber has written the perfect ending to her Promise , Texas series! Of course any sequels would be most welcome, too.
Carolanne wollin
I thought the story line took things too far. Not talking for two months after a fight when things were totally bliss is ridiculous.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I like this Macomber least of all of her works to date that I've read. I enjoyed the first 6 Heart of Texas series books. Promise Texas was a bit confusing in places but still enjoyable. But this, I can't even bring myself to finish reading the book. Cal and Jane Patterson, whose courtship you read about in "Dr. Texas", are now married with two children. In this book, the blurb says they seperate and Jane moves back to California to live with her parents. Meanwhile, Cal deals with the attentions ...more
Paula-O
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the "Return to Promise" by Debbie Macomber

follow-ups on the lives of all the characters in Promise that were married and living happy ever after lives was fun. The Patterson brothers were big part of this story as Cal and his wife (Dr Texas) were jumping from one misunderstanding to another in record time. Jane's father whom she was very close to had a heart attack and she had to leave her home and be with her parents for awhile and the seperation did not help Cal and Jane.
One
Mama
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright but predictable story. Fun read for Christmas time.
Homewood Public Library
Nicole Nelson likes dating married men and she moved to Promise, Texas with a plan destined to shake up the grapevine and the lives of many people. Her previous roommate had been engaged to Cal Patterson before he met and married Dr. Texas. Now Nicole wants to date Cal and her plan is to cause friction between Cal and his wife. Jane's father was having serious health problems which drew his daughter and grandchildren to California for a visit. Nicole used that time to be helpful to Cal and let t ...more
Heide
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the whole series!

I really enjoyed this whole series. There were 8 books but I still wanted more. Return to Promise focused on Cal andf Jane and how they dealt with trauma and perceived problems in their marriage. But without all the other families that I had come to know it wouldn't have been nearly as good. Debbie Macomber knows knows how to build relationships and create families. With help from their friends Cal and Jane learned more about themselves and what was important. I recommend
Julianne
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I get a story like this, I just want to shake the characters and say, "Talk to him! Talk to her! Tell what really happened! Don't let this outside person manipulate you into such unhappiness." It's frustrating to get through it. You know that this is a Debbie Macomber book and by the time you get to the last page, all will be well, all will be resolved, and the people will live happily ever after. You know it's going to turn out OK. But all the trauma we go through getting to the end -- it' ...more
Becky
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable and yet, I couldn't put it down. I'm not sure exactly why, perhaps it's because of how Cal and Jane both handle the situation they find themselves in. I found myself wanting to yell at each of them in turn, telling them what they should be doing instead of what they were doing. Also, who doesn't like to see the 'villain' (Nicole) fail in the end? If you are looking for a quick read, with interesting characters, this would be a good choice.
Jackie
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good to escape back to Promise, Texas and revisit old friends, however they quickly got on my nerves. The whole point was Cal's stubbornness causing maritally problems. I know at times men are dense and they don't always make sense but really?I'm not crazy about something being right there in front of you and it takes the character 200 pages to figure it out. Serendipity drives me nuts. Not my favorite book.
Becky
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a great story of love, forgiveness, misunderstandings and family. A couple can think they have the most perfect and solid marriage until situations arise beyond their understanding and a nasty woman who has no ethics or self respect. I really enjoyed this quick read. It made me laugh and made me cried. It was predictable, but enjoyable getting there.
Susanne
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Return to promise was my first experience with the characters of Promise. This book was also different than the Debbie Macomber books I have read. (no angels) It is a good story presenting the challenges of life and how they affect our relationships. Communication and trust are important themes
Lori
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Not the most engaging of Macombers books. I believe this is the final installment, as it is book 8. Centers around Cal and Dr. Jane's marriage as trouble moves into town. Sometimes characters can be very dense allowing their pride and lack of total clear communication to cause havoc in their lives.
Shannon
I don't know how the author managed to fill 250 pages about absolutely nothing, but she did. Other than an example of ego and pride and no communication getting in the way this story was literally about nothing. At least the author made her 250 page minimum requirement though... exactly 250 pages.
Kim Hampton
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the "Heart of Texas" series. Cal and his wife love each other, but what will happen if another woman steps in, determined to have him for herself? Will his wife believe him when he says nothing is going on? Can they save their marriage or will they end up as just another statistic? I hate to see this series end, I love the characters and the stories.
Karen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, Debbie Macomber is a good author but she missed the target with "Return To Promise". The book lacks plot and character development. Basically, it revolves around a misunderstanding between a husband and wife and both are too short-sighted or suborn to listen to one another. The book is basically a disagreement between the two and it does not go anywhere of interest.
Erika
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Sometimes a bit of mindless reading is just what the doctor ordered! This was a great book to read in one sitting after an insane day at work. Silly story and you know how it's going to end but so what? It was entertaining!
Tessa
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This final book in the series was a major disappointment to me. I did not see the purpose of continuing on with this book except for 100+ pages of marital storms. I loved this series and was sad to see it end in this way.
Jan Mcleod
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is mostly about Cal and Jane, but you'll recognize several others, too. A new character appears named Nicole, and she is trouble.
Characters and emotions are extremely well defined and very easily identified. This is a good end to the series--at least for now.
Jane(Janelba)
I liked this book and its story of how communication is so important between people especially in marriage. Overall the least favourite of the Heart of Texas series of books for me but a good conclusion to the series nevertheless !
Barbi
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the continued story of Cal and Jane! It was a unique twist to bring back the ex-roommate of Cal's ex-fiancee. I was rooting for Jane and Cal the whole time and wishing they could work things out. I had trouble putting this book down.
Yekaterina
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Cal and Jane have an almost perfect marriage. Almost. That is until Nicole comes back from Cals past and attempts to shake things up.
This is a quick, cute, semi-romantic Christmas story. Not Debbie's best but a good one.
Laura Beasley
Jun 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of her better books. Story is lacking. A young woman comes back to a small town and goes after a married man. The people in Promise are nice but not much more to the book. Very predictable ending. Glad it was a quick read.
Heather Caputo
Read this in one night. Great story and plot. Nice ending.
Michelle
Good book!
Elizabeth
I read all the Heart of Texas books and enjoyed returning to Promise.
Linda
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary woman's novel about a ranching family in small-town Texas. Typical romance novel.
Teresa Scott
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I did enjoy this book, I had a hard time getting through it. I think it was because I was in the mood for a mystery and not so much a romance.
Pauline
Shortish book.Should really be 2.5 rating. Not anywhere like as good as a normal Debbie Macomber book. Disappointed.
  • A McKettrick Christmas (McKettricks, #10)
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • A Dry Creek Christmas (Dry Creek, #7)
  • High-Stakes Holiday Reunion (The Security Experts, #3)
  • The Christmas Witness (The Morgan Brothers #3)
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Courtship (Cooper Creek, #6)
  • Audrey and the Maverick (Men of Defiance, #2)
  • His Holiday Heart (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #8)
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Stories for Christmas: Free heart-warming festive tasters from three bestselling authors
  • The Midwife
  • Cowgirl at Heart (The McCord Sisters, #2)
  • The Christmas Cookie Chronicles: Carrie: A Twilight, Texas Story
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • Facets
  • No Place Like Home (Cisco, #1)
  • Hunter's Moon
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Heart of Texas (8 books)
  • Lonesome Cowboy (Heart of Texas #1)
  • Texas Two-Step (Heart of Texas #2)
  • Caroline's Child (Heart of Texas #3)
  • Dr. Texas (Heart of Texas #4)
  • Nell's Cowboy (Heart of Texas #5)
  • Lone Star Baby (Heart of Texas #6)
  • Promise, Texas (Heart of Texas #7)
“hoped. Apparently Harry Dickinson’s” 0 likes