Start by marking “Beautiful Moon” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Moon

Beautiful Moon

A young boy wakes. He has forgotten to say his prayers. Outside his window, a beautiful harvest moon illuminates the city around him and its many inhabitants. As the moon slowly makes its way across the heavens, the boy offers a simple prayer for the homeless, the hungry, and others.

Critically acclaimed author Tonya Bolden teams up with award‑winning illustrator Eric Velas
Published November 4th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Moon

Start your review of Beautiful Moon
Linda Lipko
When the illustrations are beautiful, and the story is also lovely, I smile and want to say to all "read this book!" "read it!"

This is a soft story, an exquisitely lovely story accompanied by wonderful illustrations. When a young boy forgets his prayers, he gets out of bed and gets on his knees. Asking God to please remember those in need, renders this child a special one.

There is soft beauty throughout!
Candace
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book about a boy who forgets to say his prayers. The young man jumps out of bed and kneels to pray. His prayers are for the homeless, the hungry, the ill and others, such as his family, pet and teacher. During all this time, a beautiful full moon floats across the night sky. The illustrations are vibrantly contrasted against a dark background. The pictures compliment the text, which is written in short paragraphs. I feel this book would be recommended for kindergarten and up.
Alison
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful Moon has exceptionally well done artwork by the illustrator, and very touching words. The story shows sadness, and the truth about many people in our world. This book would be good for teaching children empathy, and as a way to remember to keep others in our prayers.
Betsy
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed first on Redeemed Reader

Beautiful Moon is a beautiful book illustrated by award-winning illustrator Eric Velasquez. In it, a young boy is kept from sleeping by the brilliant full moon outside his window, and he remembers that he forgot to say his goodnight prayers. Instead of the typical prayers for mom or dad, a hurt elbow, or a loose tooth, this young man prays for those in need, those too busy to enjoy the world around them, those hurt by injustice. As he prays each line, the illustr
Linda
A young boy jumps out of bed, awakened by city noises, and remembers he needs to say his prayers. The moon shines in the window and on others for whom he says a special prayer: a homeless woman, a man's daughter fighting in a war, a family who are hungry, a man in the hospital, and finally, his family. With thoughtful words, the prayer is illustrated in this nighttime with the moon shining down. Velasquez paints beautifully detailed scenes for each part of the prayer. It's a lovely book. ...more
Heather
I absolutely loved the illustrations and I thought the story was so beautiful. Lately, I've been reading kids' books and there seems to always be a "bad guy" which is kind of an odd thing to teach at such a young age. This beautiful story had no villain and made sure that children knew that every person has something going on in their lives (even if you can't always tell) and to treat them respectfully and kindly. ...more
Katie Logonauts
This is a lovely and simple story with big lessons. As the young boy of the cover scrambles out of bed to remember his prayers, the reader is taken on a journey to see examples of individual people who match the situations that the little boy is praying for. A powerful reminder of how we are all connected and the need for people to care for one another.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Simple and beautiful.
Jeff
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This book delivers a truly touching story to be enjoyed by children of all ages (even adults!).

Author Tonya Bolden tells a gentle story of a young boy as he makes his bedtime prayers while gazing out his bedroom window at the moon.

What's remarkable is this boy is not praying for baseball cards, allowance money or any sort of tangible gift. No. Instead, this special young lad prays for the homeless that they find warmth, for wars to end so that soldiers come home safe, for sick people to recover
Mitsy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
I thought this was a horribly depressing story to place on a child. It sucked the pleasure out of story time.
Kelly
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lyrical and beautiful, a little boy prays before bedtime for those people in the world who go without.
Ben Truong
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Moon: A Child's Prayer is a children's picture book written by Tonya Bolden and illustrated by Eric Velásquez, which tells about a boy's night time prayer.

Bolden's text is rather straightforward and rather heart-warming. The prayer is a simple heartfelt one about a little boy and his observances about the world. Velásquez’s illustrations are phenomenal and really make the book.

The premise of the book is rather simple – a young boy wakes up, having forgotten to say his prayers. While ou
Madie Cook
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genre: Religious Picture Book
Awards: None
Audience: Ages 5-7
A. This book fits into the category of a religious picture book, because it is a picture book that talks about a young boy who prays for people around him who are struggling in their lives.
B. The color used in the illustrations is dark because the setting is at night with the moon brightly lit up. The detail and texture used as well really contributes to the story because it makes the people look incredibly realistic.
C. I would use this
Robin
This book has beautiful, touching and realistic illustrations. The book starts out with an urban scene and a glowing moon. It is striking that among all the noises a voice calls out, "I love you!" Something woke the little boy. Was it the voice? We don't know, but he remembers he forgot to say his prayers. He looks out and can see the same moon shining over the city scene. The book shows people under the same moon who are in need. A homeless woman is on a bench, the boy prays for people with no ...more
Maureen
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful illustrations to share with the little boy's prayer, done in mixed media and oil on watercolour paper by Eric Velasqquez; Dedicated "to all those in need of prayer" and "For Ryan, May you always stay amazed". The little boy hops out of bed having forgotten to say his prayers. Before shutting his eyes he sees the "beautiful moon". The little boy prays for people with no homes, for wars to end, for the sick to be healed, for people, little and big, to have the food they need, for his Gra ...more
Li Sifan(Liona)
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-689, picture-book
This book was published November 4th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams. I chose this book because it used the image of the moon to tell the story of a little boy praying. The diversity of this book is reflected in the fact that the “moon” can hold people’s feelings and hopes no matter which country they come from. Especially in China, the "moon" is likened by many poets to the image of sustenance. Many Chinese people will think of some of their own emotional experience or miss their families when see the ...more
Susan
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A moving story with a good message. The illustrations are exquisite. The play of light and details of the people, their clothing, their surroundings, etc. caught the mood of the text perfectly. I also really enjoyed the diversity of the characters. The titular child is a young boy of African heritage, soldiers are shown as daughters, people on the food line and in the class are of all backgrounds.

Overall, a beautiful book to read and to see (text and illustrations).
David Haggett
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Ms. Bolden reminds us that our problems should be seen in both abstract and concrete terms, meaning some problems may be bigger than we are and some problems may be resolved through our own actions.
Erina Ludwig
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute diverse prayer book

Beautiful illustrations and a sweet gentle rhythm to the words. A reminder to remember others all the time, everywhere and teaches kids: we're all in this together.
Ellon
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book brought tears to my eyes. I love how the different people in the community were brought into the narrative using the boy’s prayers. Just beautiful (and I’m not someone who is big on prayer).
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
Beautiful illustrations and such a beautiful message!
Nadia L. Hohn
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book about a boy whose prayer spreads across his diverse community. The illustrations are gorgeous.
Autumn (Triquetra Reviews)
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly heart-warming, and a little sad, if I'm honest.

A great book to get you thinking about what really matters in life - touches on some heavy topics that many of us forget about.
Heather
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful
Jenny Reibenspies
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is enchanting and touching throughout with lovely illustrations showing empathy for others.
Nicki
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poem!!!
Katie
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A nice reflective book about people and the child who prays for them.
Flower-Girl Aerith
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
A BEAUTIFUL book! It made me cry.
Amelia
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! This is such a touching story about a young boy who looks up at the moon and begins to pray for many people and their needs. He prays for people with no homes, for the war to end, for the sick to be healed, for those without food, and for all of the things he loves.
Kenzie
Picture Book
Book about real life scenes and related to praying on a daily basis.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
  • The Undefeated
  • Diggersaurs Explore
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • Dreamers
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, #1)
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • When's My Birthday?
  • The Other Side
  • I Love You More Than . . .
  • They Say Blue
  • Because
  • Ocean Meets Sky
  • Freight Train
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • 5 Little Ducks
  • Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon
  • Bebop Express
War
See top shelves…
Author and publisher Tonya Wilyce Bolden was born on March 1, 1959, in New York City to Georgia Bolden, a homemaker, and Willie Bolden, a garment center shipping manager. Bolden grew up in Harlem in a musical family and loved to read; she attended Public M.E.S. 146, an elementary school in Manhattan, and then graduated from the Chapin School, a private secondary school, in Manhattan in 1976. Bolde ...more