Start by marking “Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)

Rose and the Lost Princess

(Rose #2)

Now an apprentice magician, Rose is asked to help find a very special missing person

Turning the worn pages of her spell book, Rose can't believe how much her life has changed. Once a poor orphan, she is now an apprentice to the king's chief magician. But when the country's beloved princess vanishes, everything changes. As rumors of dark magic fly through the city, the king
Published April 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rose and the Lost Princess, please sign up.
Krescent There is nothing inappropriate; however, it might be too suspenseful for sensitive younger children. It is fine for 8 and up.

Laura the Highland Hussy
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
review posted at both Got Fiction? and KK's Books and Reviews

I know we rarely review YA or MG here at Got Fiction? but with my kids getting older, I don't really know what's appropriate for them to read. I've taken a couple chances lately, and found some great books! Rose and the Lost Princess was one of them.

My 9 year old daughter and I read this one together, so it's only fair that we review it together. In fact, she has a blog of her own, and this review is posted there now.

I'll go first. I l
Liviania
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ROSE was a gentle fantasy about a young orphan who goes to work in a alchemist's house, realizes she has magic herself, and bands together with the alchemist's apprentice and daughter to save children who have been kidnapped by an evil magician. It was a finalist for a CYBIL, and a particular favorite of mine. When ROSE AND THE LOST PRINCESS showed up on Netgalley, I immediately requested it.

The Rose books are high in continuity. The kingdom is reeling from the events of ROSE, and all magician's
Kayla Eklund
*NOTE:This is a review of the entire series*

Typically, I don't read a lot of middle grade novels. I used to love them when I was younger. As an adult, I feel that I am so beyond the intended audience that the magic and wonder is lost on me. However, I've been on this kick lately where all I want to read is middle grade. I'm glad that I am. I read all of the Rose series by Holly Webb in one day, and I loved it. It brought all of the magic and wonder back into reading middle grade novels.

Holly Web
Mabel
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm
Rose is a strong good girl. The story carries itself but the ending is definitely darker than expected.
Aeicha
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in Holly Webb’s middle-grade fantasy Rose series, and was super excited to dive back into this world in book two. Rose and the Lost Princess is a wonderful second volume, full of magic, mystery adventure, and all the fun and charm of book one!

Picking up a few weeks after book one, in Rose and the Lost Princess our heroine Rose is adjusting to being both a maid and new magical apprentice to Mr. Fountain. Rose enjoys her magic lessons and is glad to have her new fri
Brandy Painter
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

When I read Rose by Holly Webb late last year, I was instantly captivated by the world and characters. Needless to say I was definitely excited that it was the first in a series and couldn't wait to read the sequel, Rose and the Lost Princess.

This is a review of an ARC received from publisher.

Rose and the Lost Princess picks up almost right where Rose left off. It is a sequel, but it is one of those children's series books that does not
Kelly Hager
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this charming series.

Rose is a fantastic heroine. She's clever and brave and so much more capable than she thinks she is.

This book is perfect for middlegrade readers. It approaches creepiness but doesn't get too scary (although to be fair, I've been told my scary meter is broken).

I love how plausible this book seems. Obviously there's no such thing as magic, but reading this, it seems so possible. I also appreciate how quickly everyone turns on the magicians once there's a c
Karina Petersen
Endnu et fantastisk eventyr med Rose, hvor jeg endnu engang blev taget ind i en magisk og fantastisk verden, hvor jeg lod mig rive med, og glemte tiden omkring mig!
Alex
“I was trying to give you some sense of the myriad intricacies of the universe… get you to appreciate the beauty and wonder of your heritage.” He turned around and stabbed a finger at Rose. “And instead it all comes down to this, showing you how to throw things.”

The Rose books really are such a comfort read. They’re so charming and so quintessentially British in that Harry-Potter-meets-Downton-Abbey way, that reading one is the literary equivalent of a warm hug. Even before rereading, I rem
Tantri 0314
Saya sempat lupa bahwa saya memiliki buku ini, inilah yang menyebabkan jarak baca antara buku pertama dan kedua lumayan lama. Seperti buku pertamanya, saya menyukai Rose dan kehidupan barunya. Tapi saya merasa sedikit kurang puas dengan petualangan sihir Rose dan kawan-kawannya. Akhirnya terkesan ada yang kurang bagi saya.

Dibuku ini saya masih dapat merasakan kehangatan kasih sayang dari Mr. Fountain kepada Rose. Selain itu persahabatan antara Rose dan teman-temannya juga makin terasa.

Sejujurnya
Anna
После первой части не ожидала многого от серии про Роуз, может быть, именно поэтому получила от этой книги большее удовольствие. Теперь точно могу сказать, что мне нравится тип главных героинь, о которых пишет Холли Вебб - трудолюбивые, рассудительные, любопытные малышки. Еще один плюс это книги для меня - легко ощутимая зимняя атмосфера. Ну и сама загадка и её разрешение были вполне ничего. В общем, серию обязательно дочитаю.
arlene
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

As always a good reading, specially it all happen last third of the story and it develops pretty fast, however you have read as well the beginning which is not what but not as exciting as that last third...
Jameyanne Fuller
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It dealt with the fallout from the first book well, and it was lots of fun. As with the first book, i found myself wanting more from it, but as it was it was a good sequel, and I’m looking forward to diving into the next book.
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great characters and a lively voice make for a quick and very enjoyable read with more clearly to come. Definitely for the elementary crowd.
María Camila
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a beautiful book, no more
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
When I was approached to review this for the Rose and the Lost Princess blog tour, I was excited! I've always wanted to read one of Holly Webb's books since I was small and I was glad that the opportunity finally arose. This was a delightful novel that was so much fun to read. I went into this novel completely blind, as I hadn't read the first one yet, but I still had such a blast reading it!

In the second installment in the Rose series, Rose is not just an orphan anymore. She is a servant...and
Kerstin
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-2011
Kurzbeschreibung:
Seit Rose beim berühmten Alchemisten Mr Fountain in die Lehre geht, hat sich ihr Leben von Grund auf verändert. Aber dem Waisenmädchen bleibt nicht viel Zeit, um sich auf seine Zauberstunden zu konzentrieren. Ganz London ist in Aufregung: Die Prinzessin ist aus dem königlichen Schloss verschwunden! Kurze Zeit später taucht sie verstört und ohne Erinnerung wieder auf. War hier dunkle Zauberei im Spiel? Rose soll mit ihren magischen Fähigkeiten die Prinzessin vor einer weiteren En
Cornelia Franke
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wieder vorweg: Ich habe dieses Buch unter dem Standpunkt rezensiert, dass es für Kinder ab zehn Jahren gedacht ist. Dazu ist dies eine Rezension, die auf den ersten Band aufbaut, bei der ich nicht alle Hintergründe erneut aufrolle.

Inhalt:

Roses Geheimnis ist gelüftet – sie ist eine Zauberin und geht nun bei ihrem Herrn Mr Fountain in die Lehre. Aber das hat seine guten und schlechten Seiten. Rose hofft dadurch, mit ihrer Magie bewusster umzugehen. Gleichzeitig meiden sie die Hausangestellten als
Aeicha
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Brina
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nach ihrem abenteuerlichen Kampf gegen die Zauberin Miss Sparrow hat sich Rose gut im Haushalt des Alchemisten Mr. Fountain eingelebt.
Ihr Leben ist schöner und einfacher als jemals zuvor, denn endlich werden ihre Kräfte in Form von Zauberstunden bei Mr. Fountain gefördert.
Allerdings merkt Rose immer mehr, dass etwas nicht stimmt, denn bereits im Oktober herrscht tiefster Winter. Es ist kälter als sonst und die Stadt versinkt im Schnee. Für Mr. Fountain und Rose steht fest, dass dies ein starker
Pop Bop
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Another Success in the Rose Series

This is the second volume of the four volume "Rose" set that has been a huge hit in the U.K. The U.K. copies have been hard to find, even used, in the U.S. and most used copies ship from the U.K.. Notably, this U.S. edition will be coming out in a few months, (April 1). It will be nice to have a readily available edition.

It's easy to see why this "Rose" series has been such a hit. There are lots of young reader books out there right now that feature a spunky orp
Pop Bop
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Another Success in the Rose Series

This is the second volume of the four volume "Rose" set that has been a huge hit in the U.K. The U.K. copies are hard to find, even used, in the U.S., so it's nice to see this readily available edition. It's also easy to see why this series has been such a hit.

There are lots of young reader books out there right now that feature a spunky orphan heroine discovering that she has special, maybe magical, abilities. Many of them are quite good, but while they observe
Kristen
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rose and the Lost Princess is the second book in the Rose series, the first of which I loved and made it onto the CYBILs shortlist for Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. I was excited to see that there was a sequel forthcoming along with several other books that were first published in another country and are slowly trickling their way to us in the United States. The aftermath of the first book comes to light right away as more and more people are becoming afraid of magic and those that use it, w ...more
Sharon Tyler
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rose and the Lost Princess is the second book in a children's series by Holly Webb. The first book was Rose, and while I did not read the first book I feel like I was able to catch up and enjoy this book even while missing some of the back story. Rose can’t believe how much her life has changed. She was a poor orphan, and has become a housemaid and apprentice to the King’s chief magician! But when a bizarre cold covers the country and the country’s beloved Princess vanishes, everything changes. ...more
Jessica
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Rose, how I missed you! I've been a fan of Holly Webb's brilliant, young character since I first met her last year. She's quite the character. Rose is sweet, intelligent, and has a razor sharp wit. She's loyal, and what I love most of all is that she just wants to build a life for herself. While other girls Rose's age want to be pampered and spoiled, Rose just wants to be helpful. It's no surprise that I adore her character! In all honesty, she's tough not to love.

The last book left off after
Becky Keir Grace
I am finding this to be a fun series for those that love books revolving around magic who may have red through Harry Potter and are looking for something else. Rose has been taken in as an apprentice magician, but now that her secret is out, she is finding that some are having trouble accepting her as a witch. Normally servants simply do not have the abilities that Rose possesses, and there is a great deal of mistrust of witches and wizards after what happened in the previous books in this serie ...more
Princess Debz
Holly Webb’s Rose was absolutely wonderful, and its sequel is just the same. Rose and the Lost Princess picks up where the first one left off, with Rose exploring a newly discovered world of magic, and running into even more mystery and adventure. The pitch “Downton Abbey meets Harry Potter” is absolutely spot on, with the perfect mixture of magical adventures and historical drama.

I think I enjoyed the plot of this sequel even more than that of the first. Rose must assist in helping to find the
Alysa H.
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I entered the giveaway for this, Book 2 in the series, thinking that If I won, I'd have an excuse to buy and read Book 1 first, as this series looked like so much fun. And it is!

I've seen Book 1, at least, described as Downton Abbey meets Harry Potter, but I think that description actually fits this installment better, as it spends more time on Rose trying to deal with 'upstairs' people, rather than dealing with her move from the orphanage into
Marcie
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year I fell in love with Rose for the first time. Now, I've fallen all over again with Holly Webb's new book, Rose and the Lost Princess. In this book, Rose has become the apprentice to Mr. Fountain. She still wants to keep up her duties as a housemaid. Unfortunately the rest of the staff is uncomfortable with her magic. Not only that, but when an unseasonable snow starts to fall and one of the princesses disappears, magicians come under scrutiny. Almost to the point of persecution. Freddie ...more
Rubina
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rose is an orphan, but…. with a difference. She has magical powers which set her apart from the other kitchen helps she works with. Once she was loved by these people, but upon coming to know her powers, they avoid her. This saddens the little girl and she tries her best to keep a balance between her life as a commoner and that as a magical creature. She gets trained by the master of the house as an alchemist's apprentice and she loves it.

There is a rising distrust in the air with the Princess o
Free Books, .99, ...: Rose and the Lost Princess (book tour & giveaway) 2 20 May 16, 2014 11:25AM
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Behind the Bookcase
  • The Dream Thief (Horatio Lyle #4)
  • Genie Wishes
  • Suitcase of Stars (Enchanted Emporium, #1; La Bottega Battibaleno, #1)
  • The Tale of Applebeck Orchard (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #6)
  • The Frozen Menace (Dragonbreath, #11)
  • Haunted (Lady Grace Mysteries, #8)
  • Of Witches and Wind (The Ever Afters #2)
  • Will in Scarlet
  • Nuts to You
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • My Year of Epic Rock
  • The Terror of the Southlands (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #2)
Holly Webb is the author of Dog Magic, Cat Magic, and Lost in the Snow. She has always loved animals and owns two very spoiled cats. They haven't said a word to her yet, but she's always listening, just in case! She lives in England.

Rose (4 books)
  • Rose (Rose, #1)
  • Rose and the Magician's Mask (Rose, #3)
  • Rose and the Silver Ghost (Rose, #4)