Start by marking “Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)

Rose and the Lost Princess

(Rose #2)

Now an apprentice magician, Rose is asked to help find a very special missing person

Turning the worn pages of her spell book, Rose can't believe how much her life has changed. Once a poor orphan, she is now an apprentice to the king's chief magician. But when the country's beloved princess vanishes, everything changes. As rumors of dark magic fly through the city, the king
Published April 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rose and the Lost Princess, please sign up.
Krescent There is nothing inappropriate; however, it might be too suspenseful for sensitive younger children. It is fine for 8 and up.

Start your review of Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
review posted at both Got Fiction? and KK's Books and Reviews

I know we rarely review YA or MG here at Got Fiction? but with my kids getting older, I don't really know what's appropriate for them to read. I've taken a couple chances lately, and found some great books! Rose and the Lost Princess was one of them.

My 9 year old daughter and I read this one together, so it's only fair that we review it together. In fact, she has a blog of her own, and this review is posted there now.

I'll go first. I l
Liviania
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ROSE was a gentle fantasy about a young orphan who goes to work in a alchemist's house, realizes she has magic herself, and bands together with the alchemist's apprentice and daughter to save children who have been kidnapped by an evil magician. It was a finalist for a CYBIL, and a particular favorite of mine. When ROSE AND THE LOST PRINCESS showed up on Netgalley, I immediately requested it.

The Rose books are high in continuity. The kingdom is reeling from the events of ROSE, and all magician's
Myra Blake
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This is a good book for young readers who enjoy tales of magic and conjuring. The protagonist, Rose, is a bit more developed in this second book of the series, and there is some speculation about her parents. I enjoyed the story, but it seemed to fizzle out a bit towards the very end of the book. It definitely leaves readers wondering about what might happen next. I will definitely be reading the next book in this series.
Kayla
*NOTE:This is a review of the entire series*

Typically, I don't read a lot of middle grade novels. I used to love them when I was younger. As an adult, I feel that I am so beyond the intended audience that the magic and wonder is lost on me. However, I've been on this kick lately where all I want to read is middle grade. I'm glad that I am. I read all of the Rose series by Holly Webb in one day, and I loved it. It brought all of the magic and wonder back into reading middle grade novels.

Holly Web
Anna
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The reactions of the public to magic users after the incidents in the last book and the odd weather are very realistic and quite frightening. The difficulty of Rose's position in the household and in society is very realistic and well described. There are some really fun magic happenings and small adventures along the way but, again, after a long build up the mystery finishes up really quickly. The rules and uses of magic in this world remain quite unclear or perhaps it is that Mr Fountain's tea ...more
Mishka
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
even better if I could just have a little bit of magic
Mabel
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm
Rose is a strong good girl. The story carries itself but the ending is definitely darker than expected.
Aeicha
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in Holly Webb’s middle-grade fantasy Rose series, and was super excited to dive back into this world in book two. Rose and the Lost Princess is a wonderful second volume, full of magic, mystery adventure, and all the fun and charm of book one!

Picking up a few weeks after book one, in Rose and the Lost Princess our heroine Rose is adjusting to being both a maid and new magical apprentice to Mr. Fountain. Rose enjoys her magic lessons and is glad to have her new fri
Brandy Painter
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

When I read Rose by Holly Webb late last year, I was instantly captivated by the world and characters. Needless to say I was definitely excited that it was the first in a series and couldn't wait to read the sequel, Rose and the Lost Princess.

This is a review of an ARC received from publisher.

Rose and the Lost Princess picks up almost right where Rose left off. It is a sequel, but it is one of those children's series books that does not
Kelly Hager
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this charming series.

Rose is a fantastic heroine. She's clever and brave and so much more capable than she thinks she is.

This book is perfect for middlegrade readers. It approaches creepiness but doesn't get too scary (although to be fair, I've been told my scary meter is broken).

I love how plausible this book seems. Obviously there's no such thing as magic, but reading this, it seems so possible. I also appreciate how quickly everyone turns on the magicians once there's a c
alex
“I was trying to give you some sense of the myriad intricacies of the universe… get you to appreciate the beauty and wonder of your heritage.” He turned around and stabbed a finger at Rose. “And instead it all comes down to this, showing you how to throw things.”

The Rose books really are such a comfort read. They’re so charming and so quintessentially British in that Harry-Potter-meets-Downton-Abbey way, that reading one is the literary equivalent of a warm hug. Even before rereadin
Megan Louise
I didn’t find this as compelling as the first book, and it seemed almost like a set up for further books rather than one to stand alone even as part of a series, but it was enjoyable and a good story nonetheless.

There was a part near the beginning where we see a magic lesson and when I say I lost it I do mean it. I cried. My poor niece was wondering what I was laughing at. I was wheezing too much to explain. It was really the most memorable part of the book for me, though the swearing that came
arlene
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

As always a good reading, specially it all happen last third of the story and it develops pretty fast, however you have read as well the beginning which is not what but not as exciting as that last third...
Jameyanne Fuller
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It dealt with the fallout from the first book well, and it was lots of fun. As with the first book, i found myself wanting more from it, but as it was it was a good sequel, and I’m looking forward to diving into the next book.
Trish
This continues Rose's story as she becomes involved with the disappearance of one of the royal princesses. The city is blaming all magicians. Can Rose solve the disappearance and rescue their reputations at the same time?
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great characters and a lively voice make for a quick and very enjoyable read with more clearly to come. Definitely for the elementary crowd.
María Camila
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a beautiful book, no more
Tara Hayman
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically Magical

My children fell in love with the first Rose book and they were biting at the bit to hear how this one ended. We can't wait to read the next one.
Lola
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book fascinating because I like the idea of a girl from an orphanage being magical and awesome. This was a great book to read.
Tiya Prince
Continuing on from the first book... Still great to read with a wonderful plot.
Aasmaagha
i found it interesting i love this author.
S.A.C.
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good.
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
When I was approached to review this for the Rose and the Lost Princess blog tour, I was excited! I've always wanted to read one of Holly Webb's books since I was small and I was glad that the opportunity finally arose. This was a delightful novel that was so much fun to read. I went into this novel completely blind, as I hadn't read the first one yet, but I still had such a blast reading it!

In the second installment in the Rose series, Rose is not just an orphan anymore. She is a servant...and
Aeicha
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Pop Bop
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Another Success in the Rose Series

This is the second volume of the four volume "Rose" set that has been a huge hit in the U.K. The U.K. copies have been hard to find, even used, in the U.S. and most used copies ship from the U.K.. Notably, this U.S. edition will be coming out in a few months, (April 1). It will be nice to have a readily available edition.

It's easy to see why this "Rose" series has been such a hit. There are lots of young reader books out there right now that feature a spunky orp
Pop Bop
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Another Success in the Rose Series

This is the second volume of the four volume "Rose" set that has been a huge hit in the U.K. The U.K. copies are hard to find, even used, in the U.S., so it's nice to see this readily available edition. It's also easy to see why this series has been such a hit.

There are lots of young reader books out there right now that feature a spunky orphan heroine discovering that she has special, maybe magical, abilities. Many of them are quite good, but while they observe
Kristen
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rose and the Lost Princess is the second book in the Rose series, the first of which I loved and made it onto the CYBILs shortlist for Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. I was excited to see that there was a sequel forthcoming along with several other books that were first published in another country and are slowly trickling their way to us in the United States. The aftermath of the first book comes to light right away as more and more people are becoming afraid of magic and those that use it, w ...more
Jessica
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Rose, how I missed you! I've been a fan of Holly Webb's brilliant, young character since I first met her last year. She's quite the character. Rose is sweet, intelligent, and has a razor sharp wit. She's loyal, and what I love most of all is that she just wants to build a life for herself. While other girls Rose's age want to be pampered and spoiled, Rose just wants to be helpful. It's no surprise that I adore her character! In all honesty, she's tough not to love.

The last book left off afte
Sharon Tyler
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rose and the Lost Princess is the second book in a children's series by Holly Webb. The first book was Rose, and while I did not read the first book I feel like I was able to catch up and enjoy this book even while missing some of the back story. Rose can’t believe how much her life has changed. She was a poor orphan, and has become a housemaid and apprentice to the King’s chief magician! But when a bizarre cold covers the country and the country’s beloved Princess vanishes, everything changes. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Free Books, .99, ...: Rose and the Lost Princess (book tour & giveaway) 2 20 May 16, 2014 11:25AM

• The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes, #2)
  • The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere, #1)
  • TimeRiders (TimeRiders, #1)
  • If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
  • Cherry Crush (The Chocolate Box Girls, #1)
  • The League of Beastly Dreadfuls (The League of Beastly Dreadfuls, #1)
  • The Second Story (The Magic Misfits, #2)
  • The Key to Rondo (Rondo, #1)
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • Green-Eyed Monster (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective, #39; Eco Mystery Trilogy, #1)
  • Model Suspect (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective, #38; Model Mystery Trilogy, #3)
  • Samantha Spinner and the Boy in the Ball
  • Model Menace (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective, #37; Model Mystery Trilogy, #2)
  • The Silence of Bones
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Samantha Spinner and the Spectacular Specs
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
Holly Webb is the author of Dog Magic, Cat Magic, and Lost in the Snow. She has always loved animals and owns two very spoiled cats. They haven't said a word to her yet, but she's always listening, just in case! She lives in England.

Rose (4 books)
  • Rose (Rose, #1)
  • Rose and the Magician's Mask (Rose, #3)
  • Rose and the Silver Ghost (Rose, #4)