Start by marking “H Is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet” as Want to Read:
H Is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet

H Is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet

Published August 1st 2006 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about H Is for Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H Is for Honor

Start your review of H Is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet
Kara Roberts
Written by the son of a career officer, this book explores the branches of the Armed Services and speaks from the heart about the honor, privileges and sacrifices of military families everywhere. Children will discover why drill sergeants have to be so tough, what it means to be patriotic and why we need Special Forces such as the Navy SEALS, the Green Berets and the Army Rangers. H is for Honor also explains why the annual Army/Navy football game is more than just a game, how much letters from ...more
Keri-Lynn
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It only took two pages to decide this book had to be written by a military "brat". It was. Good choice of what to highlight with the letters of the alphabet, though I'm sure he knows why military kids are called military brats (B is for brat). It only takes a year in a military school to figure that one out. I was also glad the illustrator, who is known more for caricatures, chose to do sketches instead. They reminded me of some I saw produced by soldiers detailing military life.
Ellie
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nice collection of military-y words to explain our armed forces to kids.
Jessica
H is for Honor is an information text book that goes through the different aspects of military life in an alphabetic format. This adds an extra learning aspect for children who are learning their alphabet and gives teachers the opportunity to review that standard while reading something interesting to their students. This book discusses how people often call military children "brats" but they are fighting just like their parents. This book would help many military children connect to their paren ...more
Madi Ekholm
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
This is an easy to read alphabet that goes through the rankings of the military. Having a family member that is deployed is a very hard thing for a child to go
through. This book goes through the different ranks of the military and the importance each person plays in their rank. We could take the time to talk about the alphabet and have each student pick a letter to talk about something that is close to his or her family.
Alexis Davis
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It helped explain so many things about our Armed Forces that were easily understandable for young elementary school students. It had great information in the book about many different things students have questions about when it comes to our military. This book can easily be used for a classroom for Veteran's Day or Memorial Day.
Allison Palmgren
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from the library to help my niece understand what her mom (an army officer) will be doing on her deployment. I think I learned more than she did. A very well thought out book that we both enjoyed.
Candi Lynn
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series of Alphabet books. They have a short sections that go with each letter that is great for reading aloud and a more indepth section in the sidebars. H is for Honor is a wonderful book to share with kids around holidays like Veteran's Day and Memorial Day.
Amanda Simmons
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Genre: Informational
Unique Features: This is an ABC book but each page has a little poem to go with the letter of the alphabet but then it also has some real facts on the right-hand column of the page. Each page goes into informational detail about what the letter stands for.
Grade: 2nd(read aloud)- 5th
Lana Harriman
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal reflection – This is a great book for military families and for teaching children about the different branches of our United States Military. It is an alphabet book filled with the A-Z’s, the in’s and out’s of the military. Young children will appreciate the rhythm and rhyme on each page containing the word that goes with the letter of the alphabet. Older children will enjoy that too, but will be fascinated with the facts in the side margins of the book.

Purpose – 2nd-4th grade read alo
Cathi
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This book has plenty of great information for young readers who want to know more about our country's military. As with all of the ___ is for ______ alphabet books, one page contains a rhyming stanza about words that start with various letters, along with illustrations about the words, and the margins tell more about those words in greater detail. It's informative and also has some nice pencil drawings by Victor Juhaasz.
Lori
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lori by: My precious only son...
Nothing less than five stars for this fabulous read. Bless all of the branches that grew from seed. That same tree now quarters the birds of the air H is for Honor and those who care. May God bless the branches of our family tree that form our amazing military.

The Forbidden Forest: Tales o
The Forbidden Forest: Tales of the Tree People
Jesika La Bryer
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This books was amazing. It has beautiful, vivid images ( I think they are hand drawn), tons of information about the military and is an alphabet book. This book is written by a journalist that grew up in a military house. Each page has information about the military, using dates, divisions of the military and attacks and wars that have taken place over the years. This would be a great book to use around 9/11 or other military holidays.
Copyright 2006
Autumn Yoon
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, abc-s, families
ABC book on military families. This book does a really interesting job using the alphabet to describe different aspects of military life. This would be a great book when talking to children about different families. Although it is an ABC book, it isn't age appropriate for young students. I would probably use this in 4th-5th grade.
Stephanie Nierste
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Children are able to learn many intriguing facts about the military through reading this book. Illustrations match what the text says, which allows children to enter into the life of the military. This book also allows students to look at the military from a variety of viewpoints, such as the emotional, physical, and mental aspects of being in the military.

*Nonfiction
Stephanie
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: Library Display
Shelves: children-s
A succinct way of describing military terms and giving a taste of what the military is for. It tells very simply for children and yet has side bars with more detailed information for parents to consult.
Thank you to the Armed services who serve this country and are fighting for my freedom!!! We are here and free because of you!!
Latifah Williams
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, military
This is a great book for all your students whose career goals is to serve in the military. It will also be great if you have a child whose parents are being deported or a new students who is in a military family.
Rachel
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-read
Loved that it was a "grow with me" type of book. For each letter of the alphabet, there is a short 3-4 sentence explanation of what the letter stands for to keep the book moving for younger readers, but there are also several paragraphs with more detail for older readers.
RC
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
H is for Honor teaches children about the ABC's of being a military family. The rhymes and illustrations showcase each letter but more information is provided in the sidebar. Readers learn about the armed forces and the honor and sacrifice that these brave men and women make.
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my students every November for Veteran's Day. As an Air Force Brat, I share a deep love for this country and its warriors. Excellent way to teach children about military life an how to honor it.
Sandybear76
I love this series of ABC books. Kids can read it as a story but the book has side bars for more information. Need this one for Veteran's Day and other military holidays.
Joanne G.
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this series of children's books. It can be viewed as a picture book, a rhyming verse book for toddlers, or a book for older children who wish to learn about the topic.
Samantha
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is very informative and full of fun poems. It teaches a lot about military life. Great for Veteran's Day project.
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I have a student in my room whose father served in the Iraq war. This book will be wonderful to share with him and the rest of my class.
Angela Record
This book is great to read to kids to help them learn about the military. Younger kids would be challenged reading this book lots of words. Recommended for higher grades.
Amber Pound
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, concept, own
Really good story that shows a little about each branch of the military, would be good to use if there is a student with a family member in the military.
Katrina
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids dealing with a Loved one in the Military.
H is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet pays deep respect to the remarkable and outstanding group we call the American Armed Forces.
Sarah Coe
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Help children build understanding of military life
Jennie Smith
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a military family, we love this book! I love all of the ABC books but this one has a special place for me :)
Kim
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Read aloud this one all week in honor of Veteran's Day. My fifth-graders loved it!

• A Paper Hug
  • Night Catch
  • The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • My Dad's a Hero
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
  • I Miss You!: A Military Kid's Book About Deployment