Start by marking “Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest” as Want to Read:
Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest

Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest

Move beyond Coping and Surviving to a Rejuvenating Place of Soul Rest

Published June 3rd 2014 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published May 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Spiritual Whitespace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Spiritual Whitespace

Start your review of Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest
Ashley  Brooks
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I seem to be in the minority, but something about this book fell flat for me. I think it's because the book lacked clear focus, in my opinion.

Bonnie Gray began writing with plans to create a book about rest and whitespace. But she was interrupted by traumatic memories from her childhood that chose this time to resurface. As she dealt with the memories and struggled to move beyond her PTSD and panic attacks, Gray realized she had to start over on this book, incorporating what she was learning fr
Paula Vince
I think this book is unusual, but not for the reasons the foreword says it is.

Many self-help style books are authored by people who seem to write from a lofty position as if they have all the answers. Perhaps publishers and marketers think their authors won't have enough credibility if they don't come across as 'super pastor' or 'super psychologist' who aim to tell us how to be as strong and together as they are. I've been getting a bit tired of the mold, but Bonnie Gray is different. She has be
Judy D Collins
FINDING SPIRITUAL WHITESPACE by Bonnie Gray is a “Must Read” for women (and men), of all ages!

An inspiring book, one you will want to refer to frequently, as you begin your journey—to finding your soul’s much needed, spiritual whitespace—a place to rest in order to find balance and beauty. Move beyond surviving. Make room for you. For God. For rest.

First, prior to relaying my thoughts about this beautifully written book, would encourage readers to visit the author’s website and blog: Faith Bari
Janelle
This book is more like an intimate journey with a close friend than any other book I've ever read. It's taken me ten months to finish it, and I've been so blessed and changed by the experience. Thank you Bonnie for sharing your life and story.

Jalynn Patterson
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Move beyond Coping and Surviving to a Rejuvenating Place of Soul Rest
How many of us find ourselves exhausted, running on empty with no time for rest, no time for ourselves, no time for God? Bonnie Gray knows exactly what that's like. On the brink of fulfilling a lifelong dream, Bonnie's plans suddenly went off script. Her life shattered into a debilitating journey through anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia. But as she struggled to make sense of it all, she made an important disc
Jennie
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this 2 days ago and have already read through it. I am going to go back through it and work through some of the suggestions per chapter. I happened upon Bonnie Gray's blog about the time she started writing again and wow...what an incredible story she has. It offers such hope and joy! It's not about doing more to find rest...finally a book that encourages resting to get rest!!
Cara Putman
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook, which was well narrated. My one regret is that I don’t have all of the questions that she asked in each chapter. I may end up with a paper copy so I can get those. This is a raw, real look at life and what white space means.
Christina DeVane
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book would be more properly titled “How to overcome a troubled past” Most of this book was the author’s story of her terrible childhood and the many severe struggles she faced with dysfunctional parents. I’m not downplaying her past as she has had to endure many painful things. But to sum this book up in a few words- make time for the slow, quiet, beautiful things you enjoy to refuel your soul. There were some good thoughts here and there. I just expected something deeper over all.
glenn boyes
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¤ some helpful insights; but often too definitely linked with Christian"" assurances; as a Christian I appreciate the open, fluid approach to life issues I found in a Buddhist culture. allowing space for different experiences, especially when Jesus doesn't speak clearly to me as others claim.
Lee Nienhuis
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faithwalk, 2019
This reads like a memoir, but offers a hand into rest. So good. So so good.
Nikole Hahn
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Christian publishers appear to be putting out a lot of books about how to rest or relax. It makes me wonder if the busy doing of Christian life is finally wearing down the church. Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest by Bonnie Gray is a different sort of book.

It’s written blog-style. Like I said in my original assessment, blog-style won’t make the grammar patrol happy, but those who can set aside their stringent rules will find enjoyment and rest in this book. What makes thi
Erica
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
While Bonnie's Gray writing style took me awhile to get used to, I think her book is timely. There are many Christians burnt-out by the rigid systems and thought patterns we've adopted in modern Christianity. For those who may have trauma and abuse in our past, it's time to let the light and grace of Christ walk us through all the unhealthy and untrue thoughts we've accepted as true about ourselves, others, and God. Bonnie walks readers through her own story, but also offers the tender, gentle, ...more
AMY REASONER
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I couldn’t put this book down.

Bonnie drew me in with her compelling and transparent stories of the heartaches she suffered as a child, but as she related those stories, she also found ways to show how the heart issues behind her struggles were universal. With the kindness of a dear friend, she challenged my notions of what it means to truly rest in Jesus. She offers the gentle encouragement that rather than it being lazy or selfish to take time to rest your soul in Christ, it communicates value
Jeri Taira
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bonnie is doing this scared-brave. Sharing her ugly, mess, and chaos in hopes of helping others. Bonnie’s words serve as our “guidebook” through our hard places. Words full of grace that offer to sit with us as we take the time we need to process. I love what she encouraged her book club to do in taking only “2 chapters a week to savor and listen to their hearts as they read…to journal the questions”.
writer...
Transparent and vulnerable, Bonnie shares her holy journey of healing from childhood ptsd
Emily
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I did not do everything she talks about but I found most of it helpful. This book truly changed me and helped me walk through some tough things in my past.
Esther Filbrun
I’ve been looking forward to reading Finding Spiritual Whitespace for five years now. Somehow, it got buried under all my other review books and never was read, until I found it recently and read it the first chance I got. After hearing good things about this book, I was glad to finally see what people are talking about—and what an interesting book!

Sharing parts of her life story, Bonnie dives into the rejection she felt as a child and the chaos in her life as a result of her parent’s divorce wh
yenni m
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book made me uncomfortable and I've finished it with a clearer vision that Grey's voice reminded me of my own even though our background, knowledge and faith are different. Like reading back in your own journal and cringing, there are some days you can open to the same page with a groundedness that calm that has you able to think kindly about the person you were and the things that you did. This is what I felt and props to the author for putting herself out there. I'm in search of rest and ...more
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-read-again
A friend shared "Finding Spiritual Whitespace" with me after we talked about our desire to stop overfunctioning and prioritize time with Jesus. Rest is tough for me. It feels lazy and unproductive. But my heart sings when I rest, and it allows me to function properly in other areas of my life as a wife, mom, friend, missionary, etc.
This book definitely gave me permission to make space for Jesus in my normal, daily routine and through conscious decisions to look for opportunities to sit/walk/be a
Stacey Lozano
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction, memoir
It took me a little bit longer to read this than I "planned out." But I'm glad I kept going and finished it. I can see how it has almost come alongside me as I decluttered the house, let go of the guilt for not studying every day, and creating space for my relationship with God. I didn't journal as much as I thought I would, but again - grace. I can totally see, knowing as little as I do about her Whispers book, how it followed this one perfectly.

I enjoyed the way Bonnie wrapped her story in her
Joanna
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s taken me quite a while to read this book - I was going through my own need to find some spiritual whitespace.

I liked the concept of this book - the idea that whitespace as it is used in design, gives the eye a place to rest when looking at a page, a piece of art, a room, or any other visual design. It’s a place to pause. Since I work in the marketing communications business, I am all too familiar with the concept of whitespace, and it’s importance to the whole.

I wasn’t quite expecting the
Yong Zhen Chua
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-re-read
Poetically vulnerable.

Bonnie Gray pours out her personal testimony of emotional trauma and physical struggles in her search for true spiritual rest after years of just surviving through life.

A refreshing read for someone like me who has gone through similar experiences and also moving along in my faith journey to heal from past hurts.

I especially loved her description of being “joy-wounded”, as I am learning in my own life what it means to be joyful in and with (past) suffering.

An excellent read
Analie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a treasure to me. I had no idea Bonnie went through PTSD as an adult because of her childhood experiences. It's one of those things that isn't often talked about, yet Bonnie writes about it like a friend - one who is warm and transparent about her struggles. This is a wonderful book for anyone who could use more peace in the presence of Jesus. Her coffee-themed ideas for cultivating rest (Creative Cappuccinos, Soul-Care Espressos, etc) really do help to find a new rhythm of val ...more
KathKin
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
i really wanted to love this book, because i am a fervent believer in rest. But I only liked it. I am not a fan of blog-style writing in a book (perhaps because of my age). It took me a long time to get going in the book, mainly because I was put off by the style. But I persevered and was eventually won over by Gray's honesty, and by my connection with the trauma in her life. I think she has a great message for the busy church, but it was not in the best package for me.
Tonya Schrougham
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished re-reading for the fifth time. I feel that Bonnie's approach is one that reminds us life doesn't fit into small neat boxes, but is messy and interconnected. If you want a quick fix inspirational book, this is probably not the book you're looking for. Bonnie invites you on a journey into her messiness. I personally have found this book incredibly helpful. It's an invitation to whitespace which does not happen quickly. Like a good coffee it requires brewing....
Kate
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
There was something about it - I couldn't get into the book. Granted, I have not experienced trauma to the same depth that she has but I didn't think the author did a great job of pulling me in, of being relatable (to me). There are obviously many readers who resonate with her words and experiences, but I was not one. The first 6 chapters really felt like reading the same thing over and over to me. Maybe it was my mindset or life timing, but the book just felt flat to me.
Karla Neese
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book meant so very much to me. I am a very fast reader but I found myself reading a paragraph or maybe a couple of pages at a time and simply absorbing it all and letting it rest in my spirit and praying through everything.

I am so appreciative of women who tell their stories - especially when they aren't picture-perfect lives - because there is such great healing when we tell our stories - for ourselves as the storytellers and for others as the listeners.
Margaret
I have been reading some good books lately after a few that I had to abandon. This book is another gem in that the author had so much to offer in a new perspective, a dig in deep spirituality that I require and need. I can relate to so much of Bonnie Gray's childhood and I think that her experiences paved the way for her being able to help and encourage others. Our own stories of brokenness and pain is never an empty cave but one that can shine God's light and love when it is given over to Him.
Danielle
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book not only helped me recognize when God is trying to get my attention, but also the need to create those moments of spiritual whitespace to listen to Him. I've never been good at resting, and this has made me redouble my efforts to make sure I do. Her story resonates so well that I've purchased numerous copies as gifts for others.
Ellen Rosenberger
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the author's writing style. It was very moving and captivating. I liked how the end of each chapter was like a preview of the next one. It was quite different than what I was expecting...it was more story form and went deep into her little girl struggles with abandonment, fear, shame, etc. I liked the practical ideas on how to create spiritual whitespace at the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • A Refuge Assured
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Overwhelmed: How to Quiet the Chaos and Restore Your Sanity
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • Jesus' Terrible Financial Advice: Flipping the Tables on Peace, Prosperity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Quick Christian Guide to the Mormon Holy Book
  • Amish Prayers: Heartfelt Expressions of Humility, Gratitude, and Devotion
  • Personality and Prayer (Exploring Prayer)
  • Suffering Is Never for Nothing
  • Chasing Slow: Courage to Journey Off the Beaten Path
  • The Sacred Enneagram: Finding Your Unique Path to Spiritual Growth
Bonnie Gray is the soulful author of the 40-day book Whispers of Rest and the memoir-driven book Finding Spiritual Whitespace , garnering starred review praise from Publisher's Weekly.

An inspirational speaker and retreat leader, she has touched thousands of lives through storytelling, visual arts, nature, prayer and meditation. Bonnie’s writing is featured on Relevant Magazine, DaySpring (i

News & Interviews

“But there comes a time when it takes more faith to fall apart with Jesus than to stay strong enough to stop it from happening.” 4 likes
“God designed us to be fully alive: creative, renewed by a sense of adventure, engaged with community, and soul-fed. Without these elements of creativity, adventure, community, and soul care, we experience a different” 2 likes