Start by marking “Two Parrots” as Want to Read:
Two Parrots

Two Parrots

Rashin, an award-winning new artist from Iran, brings Rumi’s classic to life!   A plucky parrot living in the home of a wealthy merchant appears to have everything: the love of his owner, the best food, and a golden cage. But, despite all this, the parrot is sad. The merchant will do anything to make his parrot happy! But will he be willing to set his beloved pet free?   R ...more
Published June 1st 2014 by NorthSouth Books, Inc. (first published August 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Two Parrots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Parrots

Michaela Kennedy
I can't imagine why a reviewer would gush over this book yet give it only 3 stars. The concept is brilliant - based on a traditional poem by 13th-century Persian poet Rumi, here is the story of a caged bird yearning to be free. In today's world that feeds the greed of beauty, the exotic pet trade has created a horror of unwanted birds overflowing in rescue shelters and diminishing species due to habitat encroachment and poachers.

Beautifully told and designed, this is a universal story that needs
Edward Sullivan
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, iran
A vibrant and comical illustrated adaptation of a Rumi tale.
Mrittika Deb
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this adaptation of a tale from Rumi, a wealthy Persian merchant receives a parrot as a gift from his Indian friend. He loves this parrot with all his heart. But the parrot refuses to talk to him and is very unhappy despite having seemingly everything-- a shiny golden cage, food, and love from its owner. The merchant is ready to give the parrot everything to make it happy, except for one thing that the bird wants the most—freedom. But luckily the parrot is very intelligent and tricks the merch ...more
Tasha
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Inspired by a tale by Rumi, this picture book takes an allegorical look at imprisonment and freedom. A Persian merchant receives a parrot as a present and places him in a golden cage. When the merchant heads out on a trip to India, he asks the parrot what gift he can bring back. The parrot asks him to find his parrot friend and explain that the parrot would love to see him but is unable to due to his cage. The merchant does as is asked and when he tells the parrot of his friend in the cage, the ...more
Sharon Tyler
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Two Parrots is a classic tale from Rumi and illustrated by Rashin. A plucky parrot living in the home of a wealthy merchant appears to have everything: the love of his owner, the best food, and a golden cage. But, despite all this, the parrot is sad. The merchant will do anything to make his parrot happy! But will he be willing to set his beloved pet free?

Two Parrots is a classic tale that many of us have heard in some form. A bird lives in a gilded cage and is given everything he could possibly
Teresa Bateman
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A Persian merchant received a beautiful parrot as a gift, while in India. He took it home and put it in a golden cage. However, the bird did not thrive there. On his next visit to India he visited the parrot's friend, as requested by his bird. He passed along a message, upon which the parrot's friend died. Or did he? Returning home, the merchant tells his parrot the sad story only to have his own parrot fall to the floor of the cage. But, when he opens the cage to investigate it turns out the bi ...more
Kathryn West
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received this as an ARC via Netgalley from the publisher, Smith Publicity*. There was some formatting errors in the e-version, on both my Kindle and my Kindle app via Android platform. This affected the first part of the story but not the illustrations. I was able to get the gist however and as I was reading it to my 20 month old (and he can't read!) it did not matter particularly. The story is a classic Persian fable about a merchant who tries to cage his parrot but learns that wild creature ...more
Lynn
I did a search for "most popular poet in America" and did indeed find many hits for Rumi - his lessons are as true today as when he wrote them in the 1200's!
This story focuses on one of his wonderful lessons, but the way it is presented here would need guidance from an adult. It may be accessible for readers who are able to make inferences.
Bright illustrations on two-page spreads present predominance of green and red, which may lead some of our younger students at first sight to think this coul
Megan
If a song or a story can survive a century or seven, I'm usually interested. This one is inspired from a tale by Rumi, a thirteenth century Persian poet, theologian and Sufi mystic. (Not a job description I encounter round the traps that often!) It's about a clever parrot and tells the 'if you love something, set it free' story. This is a gorgeous book, especially for the vibrant artwork and beautiful Persian/Iranian design.
Ana Calabresi
A tale of two parrots was inspired by a poem by 13th century Persian poet Rumi. It tells the story of a parrot who is given as a gift to a wealthy merchant on a trip to India. The merchant provides everything the parrot needs: food, comfort and a shiny golden cage. Yet, the parrot is always sad. The merchant wants to make his pet happy, but he will probably not be willing to give the parrot what he needs to be happy: freedom.

I loved the illustrations! So rich and colorful!
Lisa C
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Adorable pictures and a classic theme (If you love something...) make this a very engaging story as well as being an accessible introduction to a "foreign" folktale. As a librarian, I can't help but think how a child's perception would be forever favorably altered if this were their first introduction to the Middle East. World politics aside, this is a fun little tale in any nation.
Liz
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Young Iranian illustrator's first book in the US. Vibrant illustrations bring to life a classic tale from the thirteenth-century Persian poet, Rumi. A message that seems worth sharing with young students.
Becki
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it

A classical tale by Rumi about freedom, love and having the courage to let things go.

The illustrations and bright, amusing and easy to keep up with as you go through the book and having a wonderful morale at the end makes it even better.

Andréa
Rashin's illustrations are quirky and colorful, making this a visually appealing book. I'm not particularly fond of the story itself, though, which is inspired by a Rumi tale.

Note: I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley.
Pam  Page
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this as an ARC at BEA. The story is a traditional tale from Rumi, a 13th century Persian poet. The story is simple with a satisfying ending and beautiful illsutrations in bright colors. It would be interesting to read about the illustrations and the paper they were completed on!
Jayna
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a story about a man that keeps his parrot in a cage. The parrot is very sad because he is not free. This would be a good story to help explain why we can't make wild animals pet.

The illustrations are very vibrant.
Amanda Augsburger
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A simple re-telling of Rumi's story about the importance of freedom, featuring beautiful illustrations. Rashin doesn't waste a word in this story, and the pacing is perfect for reading aloud.
Jillian Heise
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I feel a bit torn on this book. The illustrations are wild, bright, and engaging. The story is a bit obvious (it literally says the lesson learned), but it reads more like a fable.
Selena
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, read-aloud
Moral to the story. If you love something, set it free. If it loves you, it will come back to you.
Kathryn
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Just okay for me. The message is well told about not caging yourself or your animals in, but all in all it was just okay.
Beth
ARC supplied by publisher via NetGalley
Zelie
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Inspired by Rumi's tale, this book is enjoyable and the illustration is lovely.
Really consider to buy it and give it to my nephew/niece.
Susan
Oct 27, 2014 added it
Shelves: children-s-books
Lovely book with lovely illustrations. Based on a story by Rumi.
Heather