Start by marking “The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  948 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
Meet a most unusual crocodile!   Everybody knows that crocodiles love water, but this little crocodile is different—he doesn't like it at all! He tries to his best to change, but when attempt at swimming causes a shiver then a sneeze—could it be that this little crocodile isn't a crocodile at all? A hilarious and uplifting story about being yourself from a talented debut a ...more
Published May 1st 2014 by NorthSouth (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water

Rossy
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny and sweet!
This little crocodile didn't really fit in among his brothers: He didn't like water! He tries and tries, because he wants to play with them, but he truly hates water... But then, surprise! (view spoiler)
Don't forget to check out the baskets on the first page and the last! It took me three times to notice them :P
Hannah
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A new take on the Ugly Duckling, this picture book about not fitting in and finding your true talents. The story centres on a crocodile who doesn't like water, no matter how hard he tries! There is a surprising twist at the end, when the crocodile discovers why he doesn't like water and finds a way to be happy anyway.

This book is sure to make children laugh and will be a great starter for discussion about being different, the hidden talents the children have and how we can help each other. It wo
Joella www.cinjoella.com
A family of crocodiles played together in the water…except for one little crocodile. There was one who didn’t like water at all. He wanted to play with the rest of the family, but they liked playing in the water and he just didn’t enjoy being wet. Eventually the little crocodile bought a swim ring so he could stay floating while swimming. But even with a swimming ring it was hard to play with the rest of the family as they dove and splashed about. Eventually the crocodile decided to try swimming ...more
Marfita
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, storytime
Ova Incekaraoglu
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my son's favourites when he was 3 and he still loves it 1.5 years on.

***SPOILER ALERT ***

I love the idea of Arnold thinking he is a crocodile and challenges himself to love water just to be closer to his siblings.

The start is fab. First page lists all the siblings Margo Marlon, Marvin etc. aaaand Arnold. We were pretty much treating those first two pages as a riddle and a game of memory whilst reading this book. Also one of my all time favourite childrens book endings. Comp
Brenda
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*heart eyes emoji*
Emily
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book took me completely by suprise.
Kirsty Cabot
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read to Ivy 9/11/15

Such a lovely story with a strong moral message - no matter how hard you try sometimes you just don't enjoy the things everyone else does. But that's ok!
Sassy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy, breezy read aloud for the young set.

The children demanded that I re-read this book immediately the first time I read it aloud. So I did. They loved it all the same.

No need to say more right? Right.
Jamie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! But how did he get mixed up? Poor little fella!
Westminster Library
This book is entertaining for children of all ages. The illustrations are as adorable as the story. And the mystery of the little crocodile’s dislike of water is solved with a fun twist.

This story reminds me of The Ugly Duckling (but that may be a plot spoiler).

Find The Crocodile Who Didn’t Like Water at Westminster Public Library.
Cheryl
Dec 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Wait, what? This is not a story about an eccentric outsider finding his own true path. This is a story about (view spoiler). Tsk.

Also disappointing are the illustrations. So much more fun could have been had with them, if more crocodile vs human details had been added.
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Both of my boys love this book, and I love it, too. A sweet, funny book about finding your own unique gifts when you're a misfit in your family. (But without giving up your original family, either!) And: DRAGONS!
Stefanie
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: animals, preschool
Edward Sullivan
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A story that seems to be about not fitting in has a surprising, funny twist. A delightful tale, wonderfully illustrated.
Annelies Baudonck
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kinderboeken
Ge-wel-dig!
Shandra
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Adorable and funny, and went over quite well in my family storytime.
Nicola
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books at the library and try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

by Gemma Merino

This is a nice re-telling of 'The Ugly Duckling' fairy tale and a story that celebrates difference. In this case, instead of ducks and swans, there are crocodiles and a dragon. A lovely story that says we don't have to be like everyone else.
Travis Mueller
Basically a retelling of The Ugly Duckling but instead of focusing on appearance, it is about likes and dislikes (and capabilities). It is cute and I like dragons, so a fairly good book. It has the same problem as The Ugly Duckling, since it can be interpreted as "if you don't with those around you, maybe you are something (a different species) entirely different."
Juliana Lee
Little Crocodile loves his family but he doesn't like the water. He does his best to fit in and swim with his brothers and sisters. Then one day when he sneezes and blows out fire, he realizes he's not a crocodile after all.
Misbah
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
AMY
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gr. K-2
Fun story about a young croc who avoids water but wants to join his siblings who are having fun in different water venues. The illustrations are colorful and fun. I love the expressions on the animals. There is a nice twist in the story and I loved the ending. Highly recommended K-2.
Sara Knight
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is such a cute story that talk about how it is okay to be different or not what you are expected to be. The illustrations are wonderful and colorful.
Connie Chan
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful book for kindergarteners. I haven’t met a kid not enjoying the funny story and illustrations. It is one of my favourite books.
Molly
All the other crocodiles are learning to swim, except one. Yet, being off by yourself can be pretty lonely.
Tanisia01
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tan lindo y divertido! No fui esperando ese fin! Y los detalles en los dibujos fueron excelente. Cinco estrellas! Y un corazón también porque me encantó tanto. <3
Casandria
I absolutely loved the twist at the end!
Crocodiles (and Alligators)
Dragons
Andre
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keller-cobras
Cute surprise ending
Georgia Blake
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lovey picturebook with the first page of the book giving away the whole story if you look closely. Very useful for discussions about fitting in and how everybody is different.
Marie-Pier  Dodier
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: album, jeunesse
Le vilain petit canard revisité. Beau punch !
  • Froodle
  • Abigail
  • Again!
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Tiptop Cat
  • Ah Ha!
  • Hug Machine
  • Naked!
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • Flight School