Start by marking “The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water” as Want to Read:
The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water

The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Meet a most unusual crocodile! Everybody knows that crocodiles love water, but this little crocodile is different—he doesn't like it at all! He tries to his best to change, but when attempt at swimming causes a shiver then a sneeze—could it be that this little crocodile isn't a crocodile at all? A hilarious and uplifting story about being yourself from a talented debut au ...more
Published May 1st 2014 by NorthSouth (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water

Hannah
A new take on the Ugly Duckling, this picture book about not fitting in and finding your true talents. The story centres on a crocodile who doesn't like water, no matter how hard he tries! There is a surprising twist at the end, when the crocodile discovers why he doesn't like water and finds a way to be happy anyway.

This book is sure to make children laugh and will be a great starter for discussion about being different, the hidden talents the children have and how we can help each other. It wo
Joella www.cinjoella.com
A family of crocodiles played together in the water…except for one little crocodile. There was one who didn’t like water at all. He wanted to play with the rest of the family, but they liked playing in the water and he just didn’t enjoy being wet. Eventually the little crocodile bought a swim ring so he could stay floating while swimming. But even with a swimming ring it was hard to play with the rest of the family as they dove and splashed about. Eventually the crocodile decided to try swimming ...more
Barbara
Cathy Ballou Mealey
“Once upon a time, there was a little crocodile. And this little crocodile didn’t like water. He longed to play with his brothers and sisters. But they were far too busy with swim club. And this little crocodile didn’t like swim club.”

Brief Synopsis: Even though he doesn’t like water, little crocodile does like climbing trees. But no one else does, so he gets lonely. Croc finally summons his courage and dives in with the aid of a swim ring, but still can’t play ball or swim underwater. An ultima
Marfita
Teresa Bateman
Once upon a time there was a little crocodile who didn't like water. Unlike all of his brothers and sisters, he feared the wet stuff, and this made life difficult. He was teased and felt left out. Finally, he forced himself to face his biggest fear...with a big floatie. The story, however, does not end at all the way you might expect. The author has carefully lured you in, thinking this is a story about acceptance, or about facing your fears, or about it being OK to be different. (Well, the last ...more
Marium Sadiq
A story about the crocodile who longed to fit in with his brothers and sisters and join the swim club but he couldn't because he didn't like water! Because he doesn't want to feel left out, he uses a rubber ring but finds he can't swim underwater and after another failed attempt, he decides he hates the water. All of a sudden, his nose begins to tickle and he blows fire! After realising he's actually a dragon and not a crocodile, he feels much better with the knowledge that he's meant to fly and ...more
Mehsi
This book was in one word: Adorable!

It is about a little crocodile, who unlike his brothers and sisters, doesn't like water, or swimming for that matter. He tries his best (and I really loved those parts) to get in the water, to start liking it, but in the end... well I will leave that little part out. Let's just say the ending was a lovely surprise. :)

The illustrations were really gorgeous, simple, but very colourful and bright.

The crocodile was really cute, I felt sorry for him though. All hi
Amy Musser
“Once upon a time, there was a little crocodile. And this little crocodile didn’t like water.” And that makes him so sad because his brothers and sisters love water so much. He tries really hard to like it, but each attempt is a failure. What’s a little crocodile to do? The soft colors and cartoonish lines of the illustrations compliment the concise, yet compelling text. Several sets of sequential panels allow for more detail and expression and the page turns are strategically placed for maximum ...more
Edward Sullivan
A story that seems to be about not fitting in has a surprising, funny twist. A delightful tale, wonderfully illustrated.
Lynn
My students would delight in discovering the dragon reading the dragon book on the last end paper, giving this a 'circle' feature. The endpapers provide a perfect intro and ending!
Various sized panels show as many as four images per page to full two-page spread. Some are done in vertical panels that pull the reader's eyes along with the action.
Font size is large enough for read alouds. Text is set against pale backgrounds and balanced well with illustrations. I really like how the letters j-u-m-
Nick
This is a cute little story about how it's okay to be different, and how someday those differences might lead to something interesting. Less annoying than The Ugly Duckling because other than his disinterest in swimming, there's nothing wrong with the little crocodile. He just hasn't found out what life has in store for him just yet.
Don't forget to take a close look at the end papers at both ends of the book.
Tina
Those looking for a storybook that's original, well, this isn't it. It is your standard twist on ugly duckling, but it is a superbly adorable one. Kids will be able to relate, especially if they hate bathtime! I loved seeing the crocodile try to overcome his dislike, not because others told him to but for himself.

I would definitely use this book for a storytime, I can see it becoming a crowd favourite.
Christiane
Little crocodile knows he should love water, and he is lonely not being able to play with his brothers and sisters, so (with swim ring on) he determines to make the best of it. Turns out, there is a VERY good reason little crocodile doesn’t like the water! I love this book about being different and how that can be a good thing! It’s a great lesson for kids, in a completely non-preachy way.
Mari
I LOVE this book.
The first time I read it, I liked it very much.
The second time I read it, I took a close look at the end papers.
Much better!
The expressiveness of the drawings is quite awesome, and the story is fun and sweet, especially as our main character grows and learns who he is and exactly why he doesn't like water. This one is likely to make an appearance at storytime this summer.

Peggy
The little crocodile just didn't fit in, he HATED water for one thing. But perhaps there was a reason for this - perhaps he was not really a crocodile after all! This pictures are just so stinkin' cute and I loved the message (non-preachy!) that maybe it's okay not to fit in because maybe we are meant to be something altogether different!
Jillian
What a great book!

Solving one of the biggest problems with The Ugly Duckling (it's not what's on the outside, but what's on the outside later in life, that counts - Thanks, Jimmy Fallon!), this book is a charming tale of how different isn't inherently bad or good, it's just different - and it *can* be awesome!
Jacob Burton
Very good, short book. This is an example of traditional literature, and although you could argue it is fantasy I think that it's more of what we classify as traditional lit. I really liked the surprise ending, and since it was published in 2013 I doubt that a lot of people will have heard of it. I really liked it.
Eva Kelly
I couldn't figure out why he didn't like water but they tell you at the end. I thought he should go see Mimi since she teaches classes in swimming. But maybe he should also go to a lake instead of a pool. Then he could start a fire on the beach when it gets dark and camp out.
Wendy
I'm in love with funny, sweet and inspiring debut offering from Gemma Merino. One little crocodile feels the difference between himself and his water loving siblings. He is brave and creative in his attempts to overcome his fear. The answer is a funny surprise, but it was the journey I liked best.
Den
This is a lovely tale about a crocodile who doesn't fit in :(
He doesn't like everything his brothers and sisters do and wants to do his own things ...A lovely ending to the story. Like the Ugly Duckling, he discovers he is actually a different animal.
D.peabody
Once upon a time there was a little crocodile. And this crocodile didn't like water.

What is a little croc to do when he just does not like water? He really wants to join in all the fun games with his brothers and sisters. In fact he is determined and willing to try almost anything! Which leads to a very surprising discovery, maybe all is not as it seems.

This is a delightful story with will make both children and adults alike giggle as they discover the problem. The suspense is drawn out so that
Heydi Smith
A sweet story about a critter who really wants to join the group but just doesn't have the same skills needed to do it and finds out that he's good at something else instead. This would be a great read for a crocodile, dragon, or water storytime.
marise
Wonderful book for little ones who like.... dragons!
This book can also be used for learning activities, on many pages there are items to count (3 snails, 22 fish, etc.)
The end page can be used for creative writing / story telling.
Daphne
I thought at first this would be one of those didactic picture books about overcoming fears, but it goes in a whole different direction, a direction I really like! Neat twist coupled with interesting illustrations make this one a keeper.
Caitlings
I loved this book. Loved. I've read it like 7 times. And I mean, it's a picture book so it doesn't take much time to read but still. It was just so fabulous. I encourage everyone to flip through it when the have a chance.
Christina
This little crocodile won't give up! He tries to learn to love the water but he just doesn't like it - he'd rather climb trees. Rather odd for a crocodile, right? Maybe because he's A DRAGON! Super cute illustrations.
Vicki
This is such a cute book! A definite read aloud-a crowd will love it. Please pay attention to the end pages/papers, they add a lot to the story. The illustrations are simple with muted colors. FUN!
Elizabeth
Oh this is darling! The little crocodile doesn't like water, and he feels left out and different. By the end, though, we find out with him that sometimes being different is pretty cool!
Mary
This is a cute story about being yourself, even if it might not be immediately expected of you. It is fun and silly, with an unexpected twist at the end. A great conversation starter!
  • Abigail
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Oh No, George!
  • Some Bugs
  • This Is a Moose
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • How to Lose a Lemur