Start by marking “What's New? The Zoo!: A Zippy History of Zoos” as Want to Read:

Did you know . . .

* The first zoo was established forty-three hundred years ago in what is now Iraq?
* Aztec King Moctezuma II had such an incredible collection of animals that it took six hundred men and women to care for them?
* Children across Great Britain wrote to Queen Victoria when Jumbo the elephant was sold away from the London Zoo?
* Fifty buffalo passed through Gra
Published June 24th 2014 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about What's New? The Zoo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's New? The Zoo!

Andrew
Did you know that the first "zoo" was first introduced over 4,000 years ago by the Sumerian King roaring at lions?
Did you know that the Ancient Chinese had a "zoo" called the Garden of Intelligence?
Did you know that Aristotle was the first person to WRITE a book on the subject "History of Animals"?
Did you know Alexander the Great's own zoo had 96 Elephants?
Did you know the largest zoo in History was actually in Mexico with over 600 Staff and nurses to take care of the animals?
Did you know I
Patricia
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Brief descriptions of different zoos throughout history. Does not go into the morality of zoos, but it is aimed at like, 8 year olds so I guess that’s to be expected. Still interesting to see how zoos have evolved (or not) over the centuries.
Mary Ann
While l found the information interesting, I think some maps and timelines would have helped kids put it together. As it is, the information seems a bit random.
Keri Rohr
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun informational book for grades 3-4. I didn’t realize that zoos came in all different shapes and sizes. Zoos date back to a very long time and this book notes how they have grown and changed over the years. I like how this book ends by stating all of the different purposes of a zoo and encouraging kids to visit a zoo.
AMY
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 3-5
This is a non-fiction/picture book. It has a nicely laid out history of the zoo across time and the whole world. Pictures are watercolor and pretty good. Great information. I would buy for my library. Highly recommended for grades 3-5.
Rebecca Lehew
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting text paired with eye-catching illustrations. A new favorite!
Mickayla
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grade Range: 3-6
Genre: Informational
This is a great informative read about the history of zoos. This book would be great for an upper elementary classroom. But I even found myself getting a little bored with some of the information. I think this book could be best utilized in a research project about zoos or something along those lines.
Tracey
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Visiting the zoo is a favorite for preschool and elementary field trips. Before your next trip to the zoo, check out Kathleen Krull’s newest, What’s New? The Zoo! : A Zippy History of Zoos. In it, she explains how zoos have changed in purpose and design, from the first known zoo about 4400 years ago in Ur (present-day Iraq) to the 2009 birth of a rare panda at the San Diego Zoo.

The earliest known zoos were private ones belonging to kings, queens, emperors, and other very important men. Often the
Jill
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ra-shortlist
This illustrated historical overview of zoos takes readers from 2,400 BC, in the Sumerian city of Ur, to present-day San Diego, California. It discusses the many different types of animals that were kept, as well as how they were kept, studied, and enjoyed, in a host of civilizations throughout the millennia.

This is a great book for tweens interested in animals, and how humans became their caretakers in different ways and different time periods. The biggest drawback of this book—from a tween pe
Brianna Mendenhall
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What's New? The Zoo!: A Zippy History of Zoos

With friendly facts, funny pictures, and animals galore, WHAT'S NEW? THE ZOO! is history to roar for!

Did you know . . .

* The first zoo was established forty-three hundred years ago in present-day Iraq?
* Zoos were crucial in the development of scientific theories of classification and evolution?
* Fifty buffalo passed through Gr
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This nonfiction text left me disappointed. I thought it was a bit text heavy and would benefit from some chunking. What If You Had Animal Teeth!? does a much better job with nonfiction layout for younger readers -- text about the animal, a blurb about teeth adaptations, and then a bit about what it would be like for a person to have those teeth. A similar layout or organization would serve this text well.

I'm not particularly anit-zoo but I think we can all agree that zoos can be crappy places f
Kayla Maine
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who doesn’t love the zoo? Well, did you know that zoos have been around for thousands of years? In fact, the first recorded zoo began 4,400 years ago in the city of Ur. You can read all about it in What’s New? The Zoo! A Zippy History of Zoos. But that’s not all you’ll find out about. You will also learn about how the Greeks began running zoos in order to learn from animals and how an elephant sprayed holy water on Pope Leo X in 1513 in Rome, Italy. About a giraffe that inspired a brand-new hair ...more
Sandra Cappello
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable nonfiction picture book about the history of zoos! In our past, zoos have been constructed for many reasons, to make powerful people feel important, to bring humans closer to nature, to teach people things, to provide amusement, or to protect and learn about animals. Read this book and learn yourself about many zoos from antiquity through present day and their eccentric zookeepers! So many amazing and true facts one can not stop reading. Did you know that in 1513 in Rome, Italy Pope Leo ...more
Lisa Suchy
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
What's New? The Zoo: A Zippy History of Zoo, is a picture book all about zoos! Each page has a heading of a year and a location discussing the impact and relation that year and area had in the history of all zoos. For example: The 1500s, Present Day Mexico City. This heading is followed by a paragraph of the important and relevant face in accordance to the history of zoos. The book begins 4,400 years ago and ends 2009, San Diego, California. I would recommend this book for 1st or 2nd grade and w ...more
Barbara
Many folks today may think that zoos are something that modern societies invented. But this engaging travel through zoos throughout the ages shows that isn't the case at all. In fact, the first zoo was probably established 4,400 years ago with lots of captured lions. the author walks her readers through various decades and important moments in the history of zoos, making stops in China, Italy, France, Mexico City, and even San Diego where the birth of a panda is born. The writing is lively, and ...more
Naomi
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The thing that I found most interesting about this book was the changes in why zoos have existed throughout the centuries. The follow up resources were also very good.

What I didn't like this book? The anthropomorphism of the animals and portraying them as though they were happy and unstressed in a zoo setting. Let's face it (and we have seen it)...give animals the chance to escape their enclosures and they are jumping on it! They are not all walking together in a parade nor saying goodbye to zoo
Jtimko
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kathleen Krull presents a history of zoos over the past five hundred years to the present.
The author presents a history of zoos over the past five hundred years. Each two page spread contains a short, informative narrative of the location of the zoo, the founder, and a curiosity indigenous to that particular zoo. Soft watercolor illustrations are humorous and the expressions of the characters are delightful. The young reader will enjoy poring over the pages and then clamoring for a trip to their
Samantha
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This brief history of zoos does a great job of describing the changing motivations different cultures have had for building and maintaining zoos.

I really liked how the ending reviewed the many reasons why zoos were formed throughout time and space. A source list rounds out the back matter.

Ink and watercolor illustrations prove to be just the right medium to use to shine a spotlight on the many creatures found within text and to highlight some of the zaniness of historical peoples.

Grades 1-3+.
Carrie Charley Brown
I enjoyed this book and felt it was well written for adults to enjoy, and children of upper elementary and above. Having taught first grade, and going on an annual trip to the zoo, I would find myself inclined to abbreviate and skip over many things that might lose the attention of the kids. However, this book would be an amazing research companion for older children who are writing book reports, speeches, timelines, and even essays. It would prompt them to research each mentioned component furt ...more
Diana
Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Kathleen Krull fan in general and think she's the gold standard juvenile non-fiction writer. This book is fun, informative, and fairly expansive. That being said, I really wish this book had addressed the ethical conundrum that zoos present to animal lovers, perhaps recounting debates that have occurred and interrogating zoos as a concept. I feel it was a missed opportunity to get kids thinking about an important issue well within their grasp to understan ...more
Annie
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book disappointed me a little! I like the idea of tracing the history of a particular topic, but the short bursts of text didn't seem too related. In fact, some of the history was really more about the history of rich and powerful people owning animals, and not all of the stories were that compelling. This could have been a lot more. Still, it's not a bad non-fiction text to have in the classroom.

1/3
Judy Desetti
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lexile 1260; AR 6.4

A good look at the history of zoos. It was in narrative format so I think it would make a good read aloud to students. It would make a great stepping off point for students who were doing research on zoos. I would have preferred a less cartoon look to the illustrations. I think kids would receive it better if the illustrations were different.

Recommend. I purchased this one for the collection
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, zoos
Such a fun book about the history of zoos! I always thought zoos were a relatively new phenomenon but I sure was wrong! We humans have been keeping exotic animals for entertainment and pleasure for thousands of years. It's neat to see how zoos have changed (or not) over the many years.

Excellent illustrations.
Brenda Kahn
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting overview of 5 or 6000 years of zoos. Lively, often humorous text relates reasons why leaders or cities started zoos. The fluid, watery ink and watercolor illustrations often reflect the humor and are uniformly lovely but I would've preferred less cartoonish, more realistic illustrations.
Amy
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This fast non-fiction read gives interesting facts on the evolution of zoos, although I
agree with a fellow Goodread member’s observation that some of the facts
shared seemed a little random in their placing in the text.
Mary
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This "zippy history of zoos" was a brief, yet interesting look at zoos dating back 4400 years ago through today. Zoos on all continents (except for Antarctica) were represented. This would be a fun book for teachers to share before a field trip to the zoo.
Edward Sullivan
A quick tour of zoos through the centuries and throughout the world. Entertaining and appealing but the text would benefit from less cartoonish illustrations. Some mention of zoos being controversial among some people would make for a more well-rounded presentation.
Beverly
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general, jnf-500
A very nice overview, and very informative for as short a book as it is.
Michele Knott
Interesting look at the history of zoos. Beautiful illustrations!
Lauri Meyers
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting history of the evolution of zoos, lots of fun tidbits, but too lengthy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »