Start by marking “Otis and the Scarecrow” as Want to Read:
Otis and the Scarecrow

Otis and the Scarecrow

(Otis the Tractor #5)

FROM THE #1 BESTSELLING CREATOR OF OTIS AND THE ILLUSTRATOR OF THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD

On the farm where Otis the tractor lives, the farmer has introduced someone new—a scarecrow to shoo away the pesky crows. But when Otis and the animals greet the scarecrow with friendly smiles, the scarecrow’s frown never leaves his face. So everyone leaves him alone.

Then one day, wh
Published August 28th 2014 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Otis and the Scarecrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otis and the Scarecrow

Start your review of Otis and the Scarecrow
Matt
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
When the farmer decides to bring a scarecrow to the farm for the harvesting period, Otis and the animals find he does not fit in. He is not friendly or engage with them, but chooses to plaster a sour look on his face all day long. As atuumn creeps in and everyone is busy, that scarecrow continues to stare from its perch, not saying a word. One day, with the rains pelting down, Otis decides to join the scarecrow and make friends once and for all. Soon the other animals join him and even if the sc ...more
Abigail
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Otis Fans / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Compassion Toward Outsiders
Otis the tractor and his farmyard friends return in this fifth picture-book devoted to their adventures, this time confronting an unfriendly, uncommunicative newcomer on the farm, in the shape of a sour-looking scarecrow. When their initial friendly overtures are ignored, Otis and the animals seemingly ignore the scarecrow, although the tractor watches him from afar. Then one rainy day in autumn, in the middle of playing a game with his friends, Otis comes to a decision. He gets up, goes over to ...more
Terri Lynn
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fiction
I love this sweet book. Otis the tractor was friends with all of the animals on the farm-dogs, pigs, horses, bulls, ducks, geese, etc. In this warm and friendly story, the farmer brings in a scarecrow to sit in the corn field and scare away the crows. He wears tattered clothes and has a permanent scowl sewn on his face.

Otis and the animals try to befriend him but the scarecrow just looks off into the field, continues frowning, and doesn't speak to them. As the summer turns to fall, Otis works h
Sarah Sammis
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Part of a series about a sentient tractor named Otis. Read this one for the "crossing the cornfield" part of my road narrative project.

La Coccinelle
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
When I picked this book up in the library, I didn't realize it was part of a series. I was going solely on name recognition (I've read some other books illustrated by Loren Long).

Otis and the Scarecrow is okay, if you like books about anthropomorphized machinery. I find it kind of weird in this case, as the tractor has all kinds of animal friends. (For whatever reason, I didn't find the concept of equipment with human characteristics nearly as difficult to swallow in Anna Dewdney's Little Excava
Karen
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, seasonal
The thing is, Otis is a tractor and he's sentient, so I went through the entire book not sure if the Scarecrow was just stoic or not sentient at all. But maybe that's part of the mystery of the story. They did introduce the "quiet game" though, hah.
Samantha Clysdale
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the Otis book series. This book though lack the feelings I experienced from other books.
Samantha
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Otis and the farm animals struggle with the sour-faced scarecrow that's added to the farm, but when a big rainstorm hits they resolve to keep him company.

Not my favorite Otis story. It felt like all the characters were projecting their feelings onto the scarecrow when the scarecrow was just doing its job. The bold move to sit with the scarecrow and keep him company while the rain fell a little flat for me and the cozy ending was just a little too saccharine for my tastes.

Gouache and pencil artwo
Lynn
Two stars for the story: yes, how noble to befriend an unsmiling, 'lonely' scarecrow, but can we call it friendship when it's only one sided? Maybe the scarecrow LIkes to be alone - this story makes it seem like being alone is a bad thing.
Four stars for the interpretive illustrations: the faces, the expressions, the way the objects on the edge of each page imply the fields go on and on and on!
Terri
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The latest entry in the Otis the tractor series pushes the theme of inclusion and friendship a little too far with Otis trying to include the totally non-responsive scarecrow in his circle of farm friends. It feels a bit too didactic.
Julian
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: niños
Otis is a tractor who loves the fields and is friends with the animals in the farm. One day a scarecrow arrives and he doesn't seem to be interested in joining the others in the fun. At the end, Otis reaches out and the animals follow, but the scarecrow stays there, with the same serious face, and does nothing. Duh, said the little one, it is not alive!

The text is a bit long, not for small kids, but with lots of vocabulary opportunities. The story itself I found a bit bland and I didn't like Oti
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Otis and his friends don't know what to make of the new scarecrow who stands in the pumpkin patch through all the seasons, silent, still and with a grimace on his face while they go about their business on the farm. With a sly twist of humor and an act of kindness one could image a friendship beginning, but the ending falls a bit flat and young audiences will most likely not see a strong message of reaching out to include other from this tale.
Braelyn
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fantasy. 2014. Otis the tractor and his animal friends on the farm notice the farmer has brought a scarecrow onto the land. Otis and his friends do their best to befriend the scarecrow but nothing seems to work. I choose to give this book two starts because Otis and his friends do try and reach out to the scarecrow, who doesn't look so happy, but in the end their efforts do nothing. I wish that the ending would teach kids that reaching out will make a difference, because it truly does.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Otis the tractor, and the animals on the farm, noticed when the farmer put a scarecrow in the cornfield one day. The scarecrow wouldn't speak to anyone all summer. One rainy day after harvest Otis felt sorry for the scarecrow still standing alone and with no friends, so decided to do something about it.
Cute story and great illustrations.
Earl
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Loren Long’s Otis series because of it feel so American to me. Does that make sense? It has tradition and values. This one, though, fell flat to me. At least, the way they handled the scarecrow’s expression at the end was interesting. The illustrations remain pleasant to look at!
Sara
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Otis. A sweet story about being kind to those that may not be able to communicate like others do. Otis is such a patient, kind, happy little tractor, and a leader on his farm. Such great illustrations!
Meredith Estes
May 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
This one was okay. Beautiful as usual but it felt too far a stretch to make the story happen. There were elements of The Rabbit Listened - accepting those who are quiet. But, it didn’t hit that same sweet note.
Karen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Otis. Every single time, in every single book. They all are sweet in their own way. This one shows how even seemingly grumpy people may be lonely and need friends.
Anna
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Good message, but way too long for even a preschool storytime.
Julie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The kids love Otis and Colin thought the quiet game was hilarious.
Brandi Kutz
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
IL: LG - BL: 4.3 - AR Pts: 0.5

A cute little story about a tractor named Otis who just wants to befriend the new scarecrow on the farm.
Patty
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Is there a sweeter tractor than Otis? Wonderful illustrations, as always.
Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shallow. Falls flat. No climax. Dare I say........dumb.?
Jesse
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet book about empathy, but the scowling scarecrow was a little too spooky for Berry this time.
Read Aloud Dallaires
Loren Long is one of our favorite illustrators and the Otis series is beautiful. Otis and the Scarecrow isn't our favorite, but it's a good lesson in kindness and friendship.
Kathy
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Red 6th
Miss Sarah
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Otis the tractor and his friends are meeting a new person ont he farm a scarecrow and wondering why he's so quiet. Elementary and up
Jenna Sovine
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-390
Sweet story. Message is to surround someone who may seem lonely
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Penguin Problems
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Be Kind
  • Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa
  • Click, Clack, Quack to School!
  • If You Plant a Seed
  • The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
  • Pick a Pine Tree
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • Dragons Love Tacos
I grew up in Lexington, Kentucky in the 1970’s. We had no artists of any kind in the family. We didn’t know any artists. I liked sports, especially baseball. My mother read to me a lot. But I have to admit, my favorite subject in school was gym class. I also liked to draw. My parents encouraged me to keep drawing.

Otis the Tractor (6 books)
  • Otis