Start by marking “Otis and the Scarecrow” as Want to Read:
Otis and the Scarecrow

Otis and the Scarecrow

(Otis the Tractor #5)

FROM THE #1 BESTSELLING CREATOR OF OTIS AND THE ILLUSTRATOR OF THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD

Then one day, wh
Published August 28th 2014 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Otis and the Scarecrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otis and the Scarecrow

Matt
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
When the farmer decides to bring a scarecrow to the farm for the harvesting period, Otis and the animals find he does not fit in. He is not friendly or engage with them, but chooses to plaster a sour look on his face all day long. As atuumn creeps in and everyone is busy, that scarecrow continues to stare from its perch, not saying a word. One day, with the rains pelting down, Otis decides to join the scarecrow and make friends once and for all. Soon the other animals join him and even if the sc ...more
Abigail
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Otis Fans / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Compassion Toward Outsiders
Otis the tractor and his farmyard friends return in this fifth picture-book devoted to their adventures, this time confronting an unfriendly, uncommunicative newcomer on the farm, in the shape of a sour-looking scarecrow. When their initial friendly overtures are ignored, Otis and the animals seemingly ignore the scarecrow, although the tractor watches him from afar. Then one rainy day in autumn, in the middle of playing a game with his friends, Otis comes to a decision. He gets up, goes over to ...more
Terri Lynn
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fiction
I love this sweet book. Otis the tractor was friends with all of the animals on the farm-dogs, pigs, horses, bulls, ducks, geese, etc. In this warm and friendly story, the farmer brings in a scarecrow to sit in the corn field and scare away the crows. He wears tattered clothes and has a permanent scowl sewn on his face.

Otis and the animals try to befriend him but the scarecrow just looks off into the field, continues frowning, and doesn't speak to them. As the summer turns to fall, Otis works h
Sarah Sammis
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Part of a series about a sentient tractor named Otis. Read this one for the "crossing the cornfield" part of my road narrative project.

Karen
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, seasonal
The thing is, Otis is a tractor and he's sentient, so I went through the entire book not sure if the Scarecrow was just stoic or not sentient at all. But maybe that's part of the mystery of the story. They did introduce the "quiet game" though, hah.
Samantha Clysdale
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the Otis book series. This book though lack the feelings I experienced from other books.
Lynn
Two stars for the story: yes, how noble to befriend an unsmiling, 'lonely' scarecrow, but can we call it friendship when it's only one sided? Maybe the scarecrow LIkes to be alone - this story makes it seem like being alone is a bad thing.
Four stars for the interpretive illustrations: the faces, the expressions, the way the objects on the edge of each page imply the fields go on and on and on!
Julian
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: niños
Otis is a tractor who loves the fields and is friends with the animals in the farm. One day a scarecrow arrives and he doesn't seem to be interested in joining the others in the fun. At the end, Otis reaches out and the animals follow, but the scarecrow stays there, with the same serious face, and does nothing. Duh, said the little one, it is not alive!

The text is a bit long, not for small kids, but with lots of vocabulary opportunities. The story itself I found a bit bland and I didn't like Oti
Braelyn
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fantasy. 2014. Otis the tractor and his animal friends on the farm notice the farmer has brought a scarecrow onto the land. Otis and his friends do their best to befriend the scarecrow but nothing seems to work. I choose to give this book two starts because Otis and his friends do try and reach out to the scarecrow, who doesn't look so happy, but in the end their efforts do nothing. I wish that the ending would teach kids that reaching out will make a difference, because it truly does.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Otis and his friends don't know what to make of the new scarecrow who stands in the pumpkin patch through all the seasons, silent, still and with a grimace on his face while they go about their business on the farm. With a sly twist of humor and an act of kindness one could image a friendship beginning, but the ending falls a bit flat and young audiences will most likely not see a strong message of reaching out to include other from this tale.
Earl
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Loren Long’s Otis series because of it feel so American to me. Does that make sense? It has tradition and values. This one, though, fell flat to me. At least, the way they handled the scarecrow’s expression at the end was interesting. The illustrations remain pleasant to look at!
Terri
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The latest entry in the Otis the tractor series pushes the theme of inclusion and friendship a little too far with Otis trying to include the totally non-responsive scarecrow in his circle of farm friends. It feels a bit too didactic.
Anna
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Good message, but way too long for even a preschool storytime.
Patty
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Is there a sweeter tractor than Otis? Wonderful illustrations, as always.
Aiden and Jack
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2nd-grade-k-m
GRL: M
DRA: 24
Karen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Otis. Every single time, in every single book. They all are sweet in their own way. This one shows how even seemingly grumpy people may be lonely and need friends.
Brandi Kutz
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
IL: LG - BL: 4.3 - AR Pts: 0.5

A cute little story about a tractor named Otis who just wants to befriend the new scarecrow on the farm.
Julie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The kids love Otis and Colin thought the quiet game was hilarious.
Ryan
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Otis makes a new friend who is better at the quiet game than anyone else.
Drew Graham
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Everyone is intrigued when the farmer installs a scarecrow in the corn field. But for all his friendly efforts, Otis is unable to coax the newcomer away from his usual scowl.

This one didn't work as well. Of course the scarecrow didn't respond -- but then why not? Otis is an animate inanimate object and everything, right? And in the end they think they did this great thing when really they all stood out in the rain for nothing, so what's the actual message? Also, why does the bull have round bear
Michelle
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
My mind wondered and so did the kids.
David Kinchen
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW: 'Otis and the Scarecrow': Delightful Picture Book for Very Young Readers

REVIEWED BY DAVID M. KINCHEN

I'm always happy to see a book for young readers that teaches a valuable lesson, and Loren Long's "Otis and the Scarecrow" (Philomel Books, an imprint of Penguin Group (U.S.A), 40 pages, written and illustrated by Long, $17.99) accomplishes this goal with aplomb.

It's big, square format book that's perfect for solo readers ages 3 to 5 and for adults reading aloud. It's the sixth entry
Angie
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "On the farm where Otis the tractor lives, the farmer has introduced someone new—a scarecrow to shoo away the pesky crows. But when Otis and the animals greet the scarecrow with friendly smiles, the scarecrow’s frown never leaves his face. So everyone leaves him alone.

Then one day, when a cold autumn rain sets in, Otis and the animals snuggle close and play Otis’s favorite game: the quiet game. Otis knows the puppy and ducks can’t sit still for long, and soon the farm friends begin to
Kelly
Apr 27, 2015 added it
Kelly Wiegand
April 27, 2015
EDL54500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: Otis and the Scarecrow

Author: Loren Long

Plot: When a new Scarecrow comes to the farm, Otis and his friends want to befriend him; however, he is seemingly grumpy and silent. As the year goes on, nothing changes although Otis always wonders about the Scarecrow and how he feels. When it begins to rain one day, Otis cant help but rush to the Scarecrow's side and sit with him in the rain. Once his friends see him, the
Heather
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of the Otis books since the very first picture book in this series came out. Who wouldn't fall in love with a tender hearted old fashioned red tractor that makes the best of friends with everyone on his farm?

Fall has set in, the leaves are changing, the pumpkins are ready to harvest and there is a chill in the air. Along comes a new addition to the hill, a scarecrow! At first everyone is scared of this sour faced, stern statue who stands watch each and every day alone. But soon
Erin
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Fall story about Otis the tractor and his farm friends. A scarecrow is added to their fields in the summer. He just looks out at the world with a sour expression and doesn't talk to anyone. So everyone ends up leaving him alone. One cold fall day, it began to rain. Otis and his friends first took cover under the apple tree. Then when Otis sees the scarecrow all cold, wet, and alone, Otis sits down next to him in the field. All his friends gather around the scarecrow as well. Otis isn't sure, but ...more
Jocelin
I was a little disappointed with this entry in this series. Otis has had many great stories that have completely put the "awwwwww" factor in most of them. In this one we find that the farmer has put up a new scarecrow. He is out in the field alone and he seems to prefer it that way. Otis is always trying to be a most hospitable host and make friends. This scarecrow won't budge. He looks rather sour and a little bit scary. He still pursues friendship anyway.
This is the heart of all the Otis stori
Melanie
In this installment of Long's Otis the Tractor books, Otis and the other barnyard animals try to make friends with the newly arrived scarecrow. The scarecrow, however, is not very friendly. He never smiles and does not seem to appreciate the kindness shown by the others.

During a sudden storm Otis decides to go keep the scarecrow company. The scarecrow doesn't acknowledge Otis or the other animals when they join Otis. But Otis is sure that the scarecrow displayed a hint of a smile during their vi
Diane
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The scarecrow didn't look so lonely anymore, surrounded by friends."

Though Otis and the animals on the farm try to make friends with the scarecrow, "He just stood there, that sour look on his face, staring at the cornfield." Summer turns into fall with its new activities on the farm and still the scarecrow is stoic. But sometimes being a friend means just "being there" for someone. Otis feels for the scarecrow and leads the farm animals in a show of support for their quiet companion. "As Otis w
Stephanie Croaning
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture-books
Otis is back in another sweet story about friendship. Here, Otis and his friends try to befriend the sour-looking scarecrow that the farmer puts up in the field. I love how all the characters in previous Otis books are back, and the illustrations are sweet and wonderful.

The ending of the book is left up in the air -- we don't really know if the scarecrow likes the attempt at friendship by Otis and friends -- so readers have to be willing to speculate and be satisfied with the idea that it is al
  • Brimsby's Hats
  • Duck & Goose Go to the Beach
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Off & Away
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
I grew up in Lexington, Kentucky in the 1970’s. We had no artists of any kind in the family. We didn’t know any artists. I liked sports, especially baseball. My mother read to me a lot. But I have to admit, my favorite subject in school was gym class. I also liked to draw. My parents encouraged me to keep drawing.

Otis the Tractor (6 books)
  • Otis