Start by marking “The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains” as Want to Read:
The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains

The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  8,473 ratings  ·  1,172 reviews
The text of The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains was first published in the collection anthology Stories: All New Tales edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio. This gorgeous full-color illustrated book version was born of a unique collaboration between writer Neil Gaiman and artist Eddie Campbell, who brought to vivid life the characters and landscape of Gaiman's s ...more
Published June 17th 2014 by William Morrow (first published June 2010)

·  8,473 ratings  ·  1,172 reviews

Start your review of The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains
Michelle
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaiman
“The Truth Is A Cave in the Black Mountains” is a superbly told story of loss, greed, love and fate. Although only a short story, it is full of atmosphere; bringing to life the craggy, stormy and windy Scottish countryside which is as unpredictable and treacherous as the morals and intentions of the main characters. The stark simplicity in Neil Gaiman’s prose, complemented with Eddie Campbell’s stunning illustrations, creates an unforgettably haunting book.

For all its darkness, I find this book
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
The truth is a cave in the black mountains. There is one way there, and one way only, and that way is treacherous and hard. And if you choose the wrong path you will die alone...
The level of depth and death involved in this fully illustrated novel stunned me.

An old, dwarfish man hires a guide to take him to the Cave in the Black Mountains. This is a grisly cave, and whoever enters it will not leave the same. The guide thinks that the dwarf wants to go to the cave for riches and jewels but
Carolina
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: england, fantasy, horror
A tiny confession, I didn't actually read the book, I listened to it. And I did so possibly in the best conditions one could ever ask for: Neil Gaiman was the one doing the reading, there was a string quartet playing in the background, there were beautiful illustrations being projected AND the performance took place in Scotland. (I am sorry for the bragging sentiment throughout, but this show just made me so excited!)

If I had read the book, I'd maybe have given it only 4 stars, but one can't rea
PattyMacDotComma
This could be a fable as told and illustrated (if he could paint like this) by Roald Dahl. It begins as a straightforward tale of a very small man seeking a guide to the Misty Isle where there is said to be a cave filled with gold. He stops at a house and speaks to a boy who asks him why he’s so small.

The man explains that it can be handy to be small, because that’s how he escaped some men who were chasing him. Why were they chasing him, the boy wanted to know.

“It was a disagreement about the
David Schaafsma
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this as a short story first, then actually heard this audio version also, but never reviewed it. While surfing around for something short to read I found Trish's rave review, where you can also find the link to Neil Gaiman Himself reading his story aloud. Which I again did. Gaiman read this in Sydney (at the Sydney Opera House) with Eddie Campbell's paintings (which I will also see in the illustrated book version after libraries open again; thanks, Covid) as a huge canvas backdrop, with o ...more
Trish
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Neil Gaiman's finest short stories (IMO) that got treated to a gorgeous illustrated edition years ago. If you're interested in that version, see my review for it here.

As has happened with many of Gaiman's stories, BBC Radio 4 had it adapted. I had actually started to listen to this back in 2016 but then switched to the print version due to the gorgeous illustrations. Since I was recently reminded of this audio version, I gave it a listen now. You can find it for free here: https:/
Trish
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
As soon as I became aware of Neil Gaiman (actively) and started reading one book of his after another, I also came across The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains. Thanks to amazon I was able to look into it but somehow I misjudged / underestimated it until now. Then, a couple of days ago, Neil Gaiman himself started tweeting about it having been adapted for BBC Radio 4. Since I already enjoyed the BBC adaptations of two of the author's other books, I gave this a chance.

I can only apologize.

If
Mark
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is only the length of a short story, so I actually read it the same night I posted it to my currently reading shelf, but it also needed time to settle after reading. I read it again last night, and it is definitely a story that benefits from multiple readings. For one thing, early comments make more or different sense on a second reading, but for another, there is actually quite a bit to puzzle over in the story.

It is a simple, dark story in some ways, but it also gave me the feeling t
Fabian {Councillor}
Neil Gaiman is such a talented author, I'm honestly blown away by his writing abilities. "The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains" is the third short story of Gaiman's I've read so far - and I haven't even touched any of his longer novels, although I recently started "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" - and I'm already considering him to be one of those authors you can pick any story you want from and will never be left disappointed by it.

In general, you shouldn't expect to read this work and
Phrynne
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful. This is really a short story but it comes with magnificent art work, some of it in similar format to a graphic novel so there is much more to take in than just the story itself. Gaiman bases his book on part of a legend from the Scottish Hebrides and it has all that you would expect from such a tale, otherworldly beings, touches of magic, death and revenge to name just some. It is just beautiful and will get pride of place on my bookshelves.
Arielle Walker
I did not like this book.

Just to clarify: not story - book.

The illustrations, such an important, intrinsic part of the book (or so we keep being told), mix digital and traditional media in a way that becomes increasingly awkward. The design of the book is clumsy, false, generated "textures" behind every block of text - and they really are blocks of text, with no fluidity or integration, so the images and words feel constantly separated, at odds. Fine, sure, this could have worked for a differen
Sam Quixote
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Set on the Isle of Skye in Scotland a long time ago, a dwarf visits a man who knows the location of a cave far away in the mountains - a cave that contains gold to make a man rich for a lifetime. So begins the pair’s perilous quest into the darkness ahead…

I know Neil Gaiman has a LOT of female fans, legions of them who probably outnumber the male fans, so it’s going to be interesting to see their reaction to this book as the female characters - all two of them - are treated very badly.

Gail Simon
Calista
Beautiful short story. I listened to this and Neil read this himself. Great tone and characters. I was totally absorbed into the story. The story is a mood that passes through you. This is a great story and quick to read. You should read it.
Kara Babcock
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I love libraries! I hadn’t planned to get the illustrated version of this, or probably read it at all. But then there it was, on my library’s New Books shelf, staring at me … and I stared back … and I borrowed it. Because that’s what libraries let you do. They let you take books, as long as you promise to bring them back. It’s amazing.

The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains is a short story reimagined as a picture book for adults. Actually, I think we need more picture books for adults. No, n
Iona
I expected great things from this short story and instead it fell a bit flat. This novel is a result of a live reading Gaiman did where the artist, Eddie Campbell, did live artwork as Neil read this story. The art work itself is not to my taste and always felt a little unfinished to me. I have been to one of these Gaiman events and while they work well on the night I would have expected the artwork in the book to be a little more polished, although I do not know this artists style so I don't kno ...more
Priyanka
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Wonderfully dark and truly a thing of tactile beauty. There are very few stories that deserve a rereading purely to add another dimension to the tale and even few where words and pictures are woven together with perfection. A dark, whimsical and unsettling tale, filled with poignancy and a sense of disquietude that lingers on long afterwards.

A quintessential Gaiman delight!
Steven Walle
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This was not a bad book. Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Cherie
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Welllll... I have been thinking about this little book for a couple of days now. I actually gave it 4 stars, but have pushed it down to 3 today. There is a whole range of emotions between 3 and 4 and I was not excited enough to go tell everyone I know that they have to read this book. Don't take it wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. It is a dark story, much like a lot of Gaiman's work. It is definately not a fairytale for kids under 22 (an arbitrary number), this is for adults.

It is a pictur
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was reading all the introductions to the stories in Neil Gaiman's new collection Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances, and he said he had performed this story with the FourPlay String Quartet. I went looking and found it in Audible.

Neil Gaiman is an excellent teller of stories, and I usually enjoy his audio. This is an entertaining short story, not as twisty as some of his, but I liked the musical interludes and accompaniment. He seems to be writing several stories set in the Hebri
Maryam
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Incredible work!!This is a short novelette from Gaiman along with Eddie Campbell’s dark fascinating paintings. Reading this story is very fast and like other Gaiman’s work very rich. Campbell’s graphic novel’s style is strange and at first I didn’t really enjoy it but after a few pages I was all in. So much harmony between the story and the art work.

Story starts with a small man looking for a guide to accompany him to a mysterious cave. For the contrast the guide man is very big/tall. As they tr
Renégade ♥
4 1/2 to 5 stars

She said, "I see death in your past and death in your future."
"Death waits in all our futures," I said.

I'm still thinking about this novelette, days later.

I listened to Neil Gaiman's wonderful narration with music and sound effects included, while also reading this 'tale of travel and darkness with pictures of all kinds' (illustrations by Eddie Campbell) as noted on the cover.

Fan art by JaqDelaCruz - https://www.deviantart.com/jaqdelacru...

Truth.

She paused, there in the
Karl Orbell
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A long time ago, in a land far away, well, last October and about nine miles away in central London; Neil Gaiman read me a story, it was called Fortunately, the Milk.... A marvellous experience. So when I heard he was returning to London on the 4th July to read another book, well, I nearly broke a nail clicking on that mouse and hammering the keys so fast to get a decent ticket. At least I did when the Barbican finally released the ticket sales to non-members (it was at 9am, I had to set a blood ...more
Paul
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2016
Legend says that in the Black Mountains is a cave filled with gold. One day Calum MacInnes has a dwarf call at his home seeking this mythical place. MacInnes reluctantly agrees to guide him there, for a price, and they set off for Misty Island where it supposedly is located. There is a healthy amount of distrust between the travellers, MacInnes at one point tries to lose the man, but he finds him fairly quickly. They do bond eventually and slowly reveal secrets from their past, dark secrets that ...more
Skylar Phelps
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually began this book not realizing that I had already read it in Trigger Warning and I must say that reading through for the second time was even more enjoyable than the first.

As always with Neil Gaiman short fiction, the storytelling is an experience and the telling of the story is even more marvelous than the story itself. And that's saying something because this story is full of mysticism and magic.

I recommend the audio version. It's read by the author and there is a neat, haunting soun
Girish
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The truth is a cave in the black mountains. There is one way there, and one way only, and that way is treacherous and hard. And if you choose the wrong path you will die alone, on the mountainside."

Sometimes you get all the ingredients right and still not have what you were expecting. This novella was something like that. It was Gaiman's reading of the book at the Sydney Opera House to the accompaniment of a string quartet. (Apparently there were illustrations too, which you miss out in audio
Crystal
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I am almost positive I read a text only version of this at some point. Both decent
Suad Shamma
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2014, favourites
"I will not forgive myself for the year that I hated my daughter..."

This is my favourite book of the year. Yep, there. I said it. I read it in one sitting, and I could have read it again and again and again. It left me reeling. I finished the book, closed it, and the first thing out of my mouth was, "Oh my God..."

I was breathless, and overjoyed that I found a book that could still make me react this way! What an amazing story. It made me feel like a child again. We start out with that great open
Heath
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm hit or miss with Neil. When it's a hit it is a strong hit if it is a miss it so far miss.

The story was a strong hit, the storytelling and everything on audio book was great.
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC Radio 4 - Book at Bedtime:
Chilling revenge for a terrible crime is at the heart of Neil Gaiman's multi-award-winning novelette, inspired by a Hebridean myth and originally commissioned by the Sydney Opera House for the Graphic Festival with celebrated illustrator Eddie Campbell.

1/5. A dwarf seeks a guide to a certain cave on the Misty Isle.

2/5. The dwarf persuades Callum McInnes to take him to the cave on the Misty Isle.

3/5. The reaver realises the dwarf is not all that he seems.

4/5. Th
Amber
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
When Calum MacInnes is asked by a Leprachaun to guide him to the Misty Isle to get all the gold he can carry, the man agrees only by a bribe of Silver. Will they make it to the cave in the Misty Isle or are they doomed to fail? Read on for yourself and find out.

This was a pretty good St. Patrick's Day tale set in Scotland about a cursed cave in the mountains and the darkness within it. It was a great Graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and the artwork by the Illustrator was beautiful. I found this book
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Audible edition 2 17 Jun 26, 2018 05:17AM

• Earthian, Volume 2
  • Earthian, Volume 1
  • The Bog Girl
  • The Night Wire
  • Versailles of the Dead Vol. 1 (Versailles of the Dead, #1)