Start by marking “The Nerdy Dozen” as Want to Read:

The Nerdy Dozen

When Neil Andertol and eleven other video-gaming whizzes download classified military training software, they are recruited by the Air Force to complete a mission gone wrong. Suddenly the nerdy dozen aren't playing for points-they're playing to save the world!

Neil Andertol is a hero.

…Just not in real life. He's always left the princess freeing, monster fighting, and villag
Published June 10th 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Nerdy Dozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nerdy Dozen

Start your review of The Nerdy Dozen
Ms. Yingling
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Neil is really fond of playing video games, especially a military/flying game called Chameleon. When he is supposed to go to his sister's martial arts competition, he instead gets dropped off at his archnemesis' house for the weekend, but when he can no longer stand the bullying, he starts for home, only to be intercepted by the Air Force! They take him and 11 other kids who all play this game and train them to fly the planes for real, because one has been stolen. Neil gets to meet several of th ...more
Reading is my Escape
The Nerdy Dozen

The enemy fighter jets surged past Neil Andertol, soaring over desolate, sandy terrain.
- opening line

So, another 6-8 grade Sunshine State nominated book. I wasn't planning on reading this one because I didn't think I would like it. That's what I get for judging a book by its cover. Anyway, one of the 4th-grade students was really enjoying it and she asked me to read it with her. It's actually pretty good and I can't wait to talk to her about it tomorrow. Though I finished it a
Drew L
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Drew Lundeen
Language Arts Block 3
Due: May 11, 2018
The Nerdy Dozen Book Review
For this last book review, I read a book called The Nerdy Dozen. The book was written by Jeff Miller and the Book Level was 5.8. I couldn’t find the Lexile Level. This book was a little different for me to read. I usually always read sports books and do Book Reviews on sports books. But this time, I thought I would do something different. So, I read The Nerdy Dozen. And it was an awesome book. The book’s main character
Morgan Shipman
This was a fun book, appropriate for target audience. It focuses intensely on video games and military aspects,so it may appeal more so to boys, though I think girls (including myself) may also enjoy it. There were times throughout the book where I almost put it down and stopped reading because it became a little dry and sporadic, though I persevered and I'm glad it did. The story line was interesting, though I'm not a gamer, so I may not have been quite as interested who someone who has a passi ...more
Caro
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger
This was a really enjoyable book. Great for the family too. Interesting characters, action and adventure, good dialog, fun tidbits and a good ending that leaves you wandering about the next journey. There are some intriguing twists and turns and plenty of fun along the way. It pulled me in and didn't let go. I couldn't wait to see what was gonna happen next. I'm ready and willing for the next! Enjoy!
Serine Majid
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Nerdy Dozen, by Jeff Miller, is a really great book. Just by being really good at playing a game, he got himself to the military for a secret mission. In his favorite game, Chameleon, he flies on a jet that can go invisible. He became one of the top people in the board. He will be will 11 other people in the secret mission. Will they complete their secret mission?
Lucas
Sep 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I enjoyed the idea of the book, but overall the book really didn't 'wow' me. There wasn't a lot of space in the book for all 12 of the kids to have their character really become developed, but I get the idea of having 12 kids (for more than just the catchy title). Maybe some of the kids will have a bigger role in book 2.
Coco Harris
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Super cute middle grade novel I read with my 9 year old! About high level gamer kids who get to fly real fighter jets in the army bc of their video game skills. Cute storyline with unexpected twists, humor, and friendship. My little gamer really enjoyed the story!
Elizabeth Meadows
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, you really have to suspend reality for this book, but it was a fun ride. I think this would be a very enjoyable read for the target audience too.
Erin
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: j-adventure, ugh
Nope. I could not sit down and focus on this book... it was all over the place.
Sean Harding
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
From the totally ridiculous premise to the weak plot the poor characters the whole book is a total stinker. Rubbish with very little to reward even the most patient of readers.
Fox
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought it was a fun adventure with comedy and action
PWRL
Jun 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
O
Matthew Christopher
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
i really liked it involving the airforce and obsticalls the challenges competition really interested me great book.
Favour Egbune
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The characters aren't necessarily realistic, but they're amusing and funny, especially Biggs and Riley. It's a fun read.
Rikki
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Neil Andertol is a pretty normal, slightly nerdy kid. He likes pizza and video games and is afraid to talk to girls. His favorite game is an online flight simulator called Chameleon in which he holds the second highest score. He is getting close to the lead scorer when his mom makes him spend the weekend at Tommy’s house. Since Tommy is the local bully, Neil doesn’t want to go but finds it less abhorrent than spending the weekend at a martial arts competition with his karate-chopping sister, Jan ...more
Kim Heimbuch
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Neil, a hardcore gamer, got a high score is his newest game, Chameleon. Supposedly, it is a real military pilot game that was leaked on Internet Piraseas, an invite only gaming website, where only the best kid gamers were allowed. Neil was one of the few. After sneaking out of a sleepover, he’s kidnapped, drugged, and wakes up in a cell with eleven kids and told the Air Force needs them to rescue some men and they’re the only qualified people to fly the planes.

Read the full review at http://www.
Kathy
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shades of ENDER'S GAME! Our hero, Neil, along with a dozen other kids his age, has been kidnapped ("aggressively recruited") because he is skilled at playing a pirated military simulator game known as Chameleon. The only actual pilots of the new Air Force stealth craft have gone down with their ship, and the kids who have played the pirated "game" are the only ones who can fly the craft and rescue the downed plane. There's a large dose of unbelievable to swallow, but it's all good fun anyway. Go ...more
Ashleigh
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as digital ARC.

It's likely that I'll start recommending The Nerdy Dozen the day it hits the 7-12 wall in store. It's got a great assortment of characters with varying degrees of weirdness, gaming/planes/ostriches AND, most importantly, a clear mission. Yes!
Amy
This book is fast-paced with lots of action that may appeal to reluctant readers but the story just wasn't compelling or interesting. Some humor. Plot a little disjointed and bordering on silly.
Amy Fish
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Great book; action packed and funny. Kids who like video games, spy mission plots, or ever dream of flying a jet would love this book!
Josh Newhouse
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nov-2014
Fun if uneven and kind of silly!
Jane
May 22, 2014 marked it as triedtoread
I checked this out for my 4th grader, but it couldn't tear him away from the Warrior Cats books.
Clara
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book,. It shows that anyone can make a difference, even gamers. I loved this book!
Nisha
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-16
This book was SO FUNNY!!! I loved it!!!
Rishi Patel
Jul 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Authorship 7 44 Nov 12, 2013 12:10PM

• Randoms (Randoms, #1)
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly (World of Solace, #1)
  • It Ain't So Awful, Falafel
  • Terror at Bottle Creek
  • Ungifted (Ungifted, #1)
  • Mystery on Museum Mile (Eddie Red Undercover #1)
  • The Worm Whisperer
  • Prairie Evers
  • The Pet War
  • Posted
  • Vanished! (Framed #2)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • The Year of the Book (Anna Wang #1)
  • Bruiser
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • Unlocking the Spell (Wide-Awake Princess, #2)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)
  • Ivy's Ever After (Ivy, #1)
Jeff Miller is a former newspaper delivery boy from Kent, Ohio, and a top scorer in coffee drinking. He currently lives in Chicago.