Start by marking “The Eighth Day (Eighth Day, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eighth Day (Eighth Day, #1)

The Eighth Day

(Eighth Day #1)

When Jax wakes up to a world without any people in it, he assumes it's the zombie apocalypse. But when he runs into his eighteen-year-old guardian, Riley Pendare, he learns that he's really in the eighth day—an extra day sandwiched between Wednesday and Thursday. Some people—like Jax and Riley—are Transitioners, able to live in all eight days, while others, including Evang ...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Eighth Day, please sign up.
Dianne Salerni
Yosi, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. :)

Yosi, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. :)

In third person, the narration doesn't come from any character in the story. However, third person limited (which is how I chose to write The Eighth Day), follows one character's thoughts and actions at a time so you feel very close to him/her. Most of the time in The Eighth Day, it's Jax. In some of the chapters, it's Evangeline.

I have written some books in first person, but I like third person limited a lot. It lets me take a small step back from the main character and show you things Jax might not tell you if he was narrating the story.

It is also easier to write action scenes. I can describe what everyone is doing, not just Jax. Whenever I read an action scene in first person where the main character describes everything he does, his friends do, and his opponents do -- I find it a little unbelievable. Surely he can't be seeing all those details while fighting for his life! :)

So, my personal preference is to go with third person.(less)
Dianne Salerni Hi, Robin! Barnes & Noble lists the Lexile of The Eighth Day as 730 and Accelerated Reader lists the ATOS Book Level as Grade 5.2.

Scholastic is due to…more

Scholastic is due to start carrying The Eighth Day in January 2015, so I am guessing they will rate the book by their own measures at that time.

I hope this helps! Thanks for looking into my book for your school! ~ Dianne(less)

Start your review of The Eighth Day (Eighth Day, #1)
Rashika (is tired)
***This mini-review has also been posted on The Social Potato

I had no idea how I would feel about The Eighth Day when I started it, but a couple pages in and I knew this book and I were meant to be.

A secret eighth day that only certain people experience? MERLIN? COUNT ME IN! This was the kind of book the pre-teen me would have loved and she was doing cartwheels in my mind as I read this.

Personally, I don’t think middle grade gets the credit it deserves, and I’ll admit to be one of those people t
Amanda Northrup
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mad props to the production team on this book - the title, cover, and premise really drew me in! I just HAD to read this book! I had some seriously high expectations, and boy did it deliver. The Eighth Day is my favorite book of the year so far.

I was really curious what Dianne Salerni would do with an entire extra day of the week. And who are these people that only exist on the eighth day? What is life like for them? How did they end up trapped there?

The Eighth Day is not only a fun fantasy, set
Leandra
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Jax pedaled home from the store and muttered in cadence with the rhythm of his bike wheels: This sucks. This sucks. This sucks.

I am a firm fan of muttering to myself. So opening up The Eighth Day by Dianne Salerni and reading this as the first line, I knew me and this book were going to get along famously. That said, what else can I say about The Eighth Day? Wait, let me rephrase that. What else can I say about TED that doesn't come off as all squeally and gushy?

Um...nothing.

Because this book
Ruby
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think I got my book wet... read on to find out why...

This book was a delight! I was going into a reading slump yesterday and picked this one up on a whim from my TBR shelf on my bed's headboard that is serving as a temporary bookshelf as I am crowded from my book obsession. READING SLUMP NO MORE! I finished this one while my family was out at a river. Picture a redhead sitting in the middle of a stream getting annoyed at her siblings for almost water-damaging her book... hehehehe, I am evil.
Marcy S. Hatch
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book to death along with the characters, and the the story was compulsively readable. I was hooked from the first chapter and enjoyed everything about the story except for the length - too short! The good news? There are two more books in this series :)
Se
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an extremely solid series starter. The end of this book definitely gave me a taste of the excitement that is to come in the next two books;)
Michael Di Gesu
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Can you imagine living on a day between Wednesday and Thursday?

Dianne Salerni is brilliant!

She weaves a tale of mystery, excitement, magic, and oh so much more. Her MC, Jax is a sweet, thirteen year old boy, but with an extraordinary gift. He, along with other gifted people live on the eight day, an extra day of the week.

On the eighth day, he meets a young girl, living at his neighbor's house, but she is not there by chance. Is she a prisoner or a ghost? And why does she only appear on the eight
Robin Richards
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I settled in to read *just a bit* of The Eighth Day and finished it in one sitting. It is one of those books I simply could not put down. The story begins with 12 year old Jax Aubrey attempting to settle into his new life with his guardian, Riley Pendare. The unfortunate truth is that Jax doesn't care much for Riley and would rather be living with his mother's cousin. The next day he turns 13, and life as he knew it will never be the same. He goes to bed Wednesday night and the next day everyone ...more
Alex Otaku
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
absolutely amazing!
i've heard people compare this to Rick Riordan's works but this is made of some other material entirely.i wouldn't compare.and i love both.although it's a middle grade book,i enjoyed it even as a young adult reader.if you're into YA for romance though,i warn you beforehand.this book isnt about some sparkly,tall,dark and handsome guy falling into a klutz' life and causing mayhem,ensuing love.
now,this is an amazing intertwining of fantasy and world suck(A.K.A. reality)in the li
Monica
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a good book. It was well written, the story line was paced well, and it was a very original story that did a great job of walking the line between fantasy and Sci-Fi. This book will be excellent for middle grade students, but I also think that any person who enjoys YA will enjoy this book. I really don't have any problems with this book. I really liked the evolution of the relationship between Jax and Riley, and I was even drawn in by the secondary characters. I have a feeling that this ...more
Aless
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Salerni (I just cannot reference her without the Mrs., that's how I know her) was a teacher when I was transferred to the district during her last year or two of being a teacher. When I was in fifth grade and was next to her classroom was when I read these books. I remember hearing about how much people loved her as a teacher, so I always knew who she was.

My 5th-grade teacher read these books to us and I remember how much life he brought to Jax, Evangaline, and Riley. He really sold storyt
Amy Forrester
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
One morning 13 year old Jax wakes up and the house is empty. The electricity is out, the streets are deserted, and the sky is a strange shade of pink. Jax is terrified, until he finds out that this is actually Grunsday. It’s a magical eighth day smooshed between Wednesday and Thursday created centuries ago by the great Merlin himself! Things get even stranger when Jax realizes there is a mysterious girl named Evangeline imprisoned in the house next door. What’s more, she’s locked in the eighth ...more
Doris
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen year old Jax is living with a guardian who doesn't truly take care of him, so when he wakes up to a world with no people in it, he is frightened, and, remembering movies he has seen, assumes it's a zombie apocalypse. He robs a store and hides the stash, but later finds out from eighteen-year-old guardian, Riley Pendare, that he is one of the few who can visit a special extra eighth day between Wednesday and Thursday. Jax and Riley are part of a group called Transitioners, who are able t ...more
Eden Bowditch
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish there were eleven stars to bestow upon this book...but then I could still complain there weren't enough!!! This may be the best MG book of the year. Brilliant, original, beautifully written, excellent pace... another great Dianne Salerni book, maybe the best of the lot!!! And I say maybe since she is truly a gifted author. My biggest complaint about 'The Eighth Day' is that it kept me from doing anything else until I finished it and that was really a problem. Really REALLY fabulous- a MUS ...more
Louisa
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really great book, but I wish I'd known that it was middle grade, because it wasn't YA. If it'd been Riley's POV, or just Evangeline's, instead of Jax's, then I would have absolutely loved it, but I'm just the reader!
Celeste_pewter
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reader Noir
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it

Life hasn’t been kind to Jaxson Aubrey. His father has passed way in a car accident, leaving him an orphan and in the questionable care of 18 year-old Reilly Pendare. His life becomes more complicated when, on the Wednesday after his thirteenth birthday, he wakes up to find a world without people. He later discovers that he is a Transitioner and can access an extra day (Grunsday) of the week. Reilly also turns out to be a Transitioner, and the person who can answer Jax’s questions both about him
Reading is my Escape
Unexpectedly Magical...

The eighth day was filled with horrible people who blew up entire families during engagement parties, used blood for magic, and imprisoned a teenage girl just because her ten-times-great-grandfather had been a legendary wizard.
-- Chapter 17

This book. Wow. I really enjoyed it and I'm excited to read book 2. In fact, I'll be checking the library for it as soon as I'm done here. I knew the story was going to involve some magic, but I had no idea. This book takes the legen
Sixteen
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this book! All the characters were engaging and it wasn't hard to empathize with them. The plot was amazing as well! Predictable in some parts but there were good twists and turns here and there. Plus, that sense of danger never really left, even when the villains weren't present. All this kept me on the edge of my seat, reading and reading and reading till the end.

Although the main character is Jax, my heart inexplicably went out to his guardian, Ri
Madison
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Eighth Day by Dianne K. Salerni is fictional book about a boy named Jax whose parents both die, so he is sent to live with his cousins in Southern Pennsylvania. Then along comes Riley, barely eighteen years old and able to take care of a minor, steals him away. Barely able to keep food in the refrigerator, Jax is miserable. I enjoy all parts of this book, even the weird ones. The Eighth Day brings out all my emotions, excited, serious, angered, miserable, and curious. I love this book becaus ...more
Rose
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I needed. A fun, easy read with a good story. It's really for middle-grade kids but middle-grade...middle-age...close enough right?

Poor Jax has just lost his father making him an orphan. He's been sent to live with Riley, who's barely old enough to take care of himself. He soon learns there is an extra day between Wednesday and Thursday. It was created by a magic spell long ago and (view spoiler)
Ms. B
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folktale, 2017, mhl
Epic! With both his parents deceased, Jax finds himself living with Riley, who is barely out of high school and no relation, for a guardian. Then things get even stranger when on his 13th birthday, he discovers that there is an 8th day in the week. Yep, that's right; there's a day between Wednesday and Thursday. Life is about to get a lot more interesting as Jax learns of his true destiny (which includes ties to King Arthur and the knights of the round table) to protect mankind from the Kin.
Perc
Aliaa El-Nashar
I am having a love/hate relationship with this book.

The love part: The premise of the story, the idea, the background, the research and the creative way the magical world of King Arthur was implemented into this story.

The hate part: The writing, the execution, the character development.

It all felt very flat and made it really hard to get into the story itself. I admire the concept of the story and I did happen to read it until the end, but at the same time, I think it could have been done so muc
Suzanne Warr
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to win an ARC of The Eighth Day (yes, that was me gloating! lol) and really loved the story! It's got a compelling concept with a strong opening, and cool magic (King Arthur ftw!) but the way the book comes together is even better than the pieces. Now I have just one little problem...it's going to be a long wait til the second book comes out! :D

Read the full review, plus the cat's two cents, on my blog. And happy reading!
Noella
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Eighth Day was an exciting and adventurous book which I really enjoyed. Being Middle Grade I wondered whether the book would feel too 'young' for me but this wasn't the case with The Eighth Day. There was rich world-building and an awesome cast of characters! I loved the Arthurian legend interwoven throughout the story. The blurb says fans of Percy Jackson will devour this book and devour it I did! The book did remind me of Percy Jackson because they both had captivating writing and worlds.
Andrew
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was amazing! At first I thought it would be more of a mystery story, but it turned out to be a fantasy story with a crazy unique plot! I can't even imagine how much time the author put into this book. The main character, and most of the other characters, are part of a mystical timeline in which the knights of the round table had magical powers and they were passed down from bloodline to bloodline, waging a war that is unknown to mortals that don't have the power, also known as "normals ...more
Alexandra
The bare premise of an additional day only some experience reminded me of "The Midnighters" Series The Secret Hour (which I loved, but is more for young adults) in which a special few have an extra hour each day. So I was intrigued to give this a try. It is a very different story than "Midnighters", which is nice, and I did enjoy it. ...more
Ashleigh
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read as digital ARC.

This is a book that's doing things right. Mysterious goings-on, mysterious powers, subtle Internet safety tidbits, action, oaths... I'll definitely be recommending it, as soon as it hits stores.
A Serious Lover
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eidelwiess
Engaging characters and a great story line . . . Whoever thought of adding a day between Wednesday and Thursday could bring about such results. Skillful weaving of great legend of King Arthur's Court with current times. This is the start to a great series.
Elizabeth S
Second reading, and still awesome. Gotta be a great book when it is fun both the first time (when you have all the fun of unexpected reveals) and the second time (when you know what is coming and are watching for it).
Albany Area Schoo...: The Eighth Day (August 2016) 1 5 Aug 28, 2016 02:32PM

• The Land of Stories Collection 4 Book Set (The Land of Stories, #1-4)
  • Jinx (Jinx #1)
  • The Cloak Society (The Cloak Society, #1)
  • Codename Zero (The Codename Conspiracy #1)
  • Finally (Willow Falls, #2)
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)
  • Fall of Heroes (The Cloak Society, #3)
  • Jinx's Magic (Jinx #2)
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • The Star Dunes (Explorer Academy #4)
  • Jinx's Fire (Jinx #3)
  • I Have a Bad Feeling about This
  • Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)
  • Masterminds (Masterminds, #1)
  • The Last Dragon (The Revenge of Magic, #2)
  • Sidekicked (Sidekicked, #1)
  • The Taken (Foxcraft, #1)
  • Best Friend Next Door
DIANNE K. SALERNI, a former fifth grade teacher, is the author of YA historical novels, We Hear the Dead and The Caged Graves, as well as fantasy and science fiction novels for children.

The Eighth Day fantasy series follows the adventures of Jax Aubrey, who discovers a secret day between Wednesday and Thursday. Eleanor, Alice, & the Roosevelt Ghosts portrays an alternate historical reality where g

Eighth Day (3 books)
  • The Inquisitor's Mark (Eighth Day, #2)
  • The Morrigan's Curse (Eighth Day, #3)

News & Interviews

“A man who could rip memories from his head was not a good person to have as an enemy.” 2 likes