Start by marking “Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World” as Want to Read:
Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World

Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World

The Life-Changing International Bestseller

Mindfulness reveals a set of simple yet powerful practices that you can incorporate into daily life to help break the cycle of anxiety, stress, unhappiness, and exhaustion. It promotes the kind of happiness and peace that gets into your bones. It seeps into everything you do and helps you meet the worst that life throws at you wi

Published October 25th 2011 by Rodale (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mindfulness, please sign up.
Pupinder Singh I'm a Christian so I decided to follow this book up by doing a 6 week "Christian Mindfulness" course online. You can find it here: …moreI'm a Christian so I decided to follow this book up by doing a 6 week "Christian Mindfulness" course online. You can find it here: http://christianmindfulness.co.uk/chr...(less)
Alexander Johnson I heartily recommend this book and others like it that attempt to re-engineer our minds to become our friend and not our enemy.
Speaking about…more
Speaking about reading, here's a list of a couple of other books that I have found helpful in this process. They more emphasize the practice of mindfulness in everyday life, rather than purposeful meditation. Hopefully anyone who is reading this will find them helpful as well:
• “Eat Stop Eat”
This book is a really good program for anyone who is trying to gain mind power over weight problems.
• “Mindfulness: An Eight Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World
This book. . . be sure to check out the options for Kindle and used hard cover prices that are quite reasonable.
• “Manifestation Miracle”
(less)

Vittorio Minerva
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
I was introduced to the practice of mindfulness during a very difficult period of my life where I seemed to have lost so much of my enthusiasm that life had become an empty shell. My counsellor at the time recommended this book to help me shed some light in the darkness and although I never believed in self help, I decided to give it a go. I had nothing to lose anyway. In fact, chapter after chapter I grew more and more attached to this book as if it were a sort of saving grace.

The prime aim of
Jeff Yoak
This is the best book on mindfulness that I've found to date, and certainly the most impacting. I read it through once, and then followed its eight-week plan, and finished by reading it again. (It is fairly short.)

I've been interested in the idea of mindfulness for some time, without even being sure what it is. So many things written about it are clouded by various sorts of mysticism that it is challenging, and yet a feeling that there is something of substance there persisted. Search Inside You
Paula Kalin
Wow, I really need to start practicing mindfulness training. Life is so frantic. Never enough time to do everything you want to do. Never enough time to finish my variety of To Do lists. From Wunderlist to Siri reminders, Google Calendar, and of course, a written list, life can be overwelming. Who do I share my time with after a 40-hour work week with a long commute: my husbands and son, my 80-year old parents in Maine, friends, book club mates, my 3 dogs, or the volunteering my son and I do eve ...more
James Frost
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK.

Like most of us, my mind is a f*cking mess, and this is a fantastically practical way to introduce yourself to the world of meditation.

I really wish that I'd found this book a long time ago because it would have saved me a lot of frustration. There are a ton of books out now about living in the present and meditation, but this one really makes it easy to follow in an 8 week course.

Though I've finished reading the book, I'm going back and following the course week b
Ci
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is accessible. It is written in a style of self-help; medical literature reference are largely in the endnotes. Stylized anecdotes peppered through out, without any pretension as to cite any actual patient history. Perhaps it is just as suitable; these fictional first-named persons are chosen as representatives in real life; a career-driven woman, an overworked father, among other generic situations. I found the arguments for meditation is well-articulated, well-written, and often with ...more
Bonny
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
I've read various mindfulness meditation books over the last several years, and tried their mindfulness meditation suggestions with uneven results, but this is the book I was looking for. The authors stress evidence and explain cognitive behavior therapy, which kept me from rolling my eyes at any hippie mystical aspects of mindfulness. I jumped right in to listening to the introductory chapters on the hows, whys and benefits of mindfulness, and have been using the guided meditations on a daily b ...more
Mandy
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book presents an 8 week cognitive therapy based meditation course, including a CD of meditations to follow. I have borrowed the book, and don't feel I can keep it for 8 weeks, so I have not tried to work through the course, I just read through the book. I would think it quite a committment to do the course. You are asked to do the meditations once or twice a day for 6 out of 7 days. The mediations take about 30 minutes. Having struggled to fit in a 10 minute meditation the last two days I t ...more
Lucinda Porter
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few books like this, but this is the best of them, and the only one I finished because I wanted to rather than because it felt like I "should." I downloaded the practices and I am still doing this, which for me, is a miracle...
Vivian
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Very short with 8 different guided meditations at the end. I just started, but I feel like it is really helping me. I just feel so good when I am doing it. It's like a craving. I want to meditate more! I just feel so calm and I love that my mind isn't racing!

Highly recommend

Update: On week 4 - You know the spider man movie when he wakes up and all of his senses are heightened and he doesn't know what is happening? That's how I feel. I notice sounds and smells and tastes that I jus
♥ Ibrahim ♥
I was trying to read every book I could get by Jon-Kabat-Zinn, and this was one of them since he wrote the forward. It turns out I already read another book before by Mark Williams The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness, and I really loved it then and recommended it to all people I knew who deal with depression as well as other emotional issues. I picked up this book to learn about Mindfulness, but lo and behold I am learning about other equally important i ...more
Kris Neri
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional book with easy to do meditations. I wasn't sure it needed to be an 8 week program -- I ended up doing in fewer weeks. But I was struck by how much I learned, how much resonated with me in every chapter. Highly recommended.
Jane Yates
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review of Audio ‘Mindfulness’ Written by: Mark Williams, Danny Penman
Narrated by: Mark Williams

This is a great audio to buy if you are new to the Mindfulness mediation technique and would perhaps do not have the time to go to attend the full eight weeks course in a group. Equally it can be good as a refresher to a course that you have completed in the past.
The narration carefully explains what Mindfulness is and then everything you need is set out for you to start the practice. You are given a
Tyska
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Mindfulness is "about becoming fully aware of the life you've already got, rather than the life you wish you had. [...] Our endless striving, tunnel vision and brooding, our tendency to get lost in our own thoughts, to be driven by the autopilot, to be consumed by negativity and abandon the things that nourish our souls. [...] When we let go of seeing this as an enemy to be overcome, all of these tendencies are able to melt away in the light of awareness."

When I picked this book up, I knew next
Filipa
I just finished reading Mindfulness and I was shocked to see how much I identified with the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Basically I am a fireball of anxiety, stress and everything you can think of that leads to self-destruction due to the usual stuff that life entails. I feel that, just for reading this book, some things have already changed, or better, that I've already made conscious changes in little things that I can handle. But I know that this is not enough and it certainly isn't susta ...more
Melody Daggerhart
Notes of Interest:

I have been a student of meditation for about 3 years now. I meditate at least once a day, sometimes two or more, and have experienced its benefits first-hand. So when I come across books on mindfulness or meditation, I snatch them up. This is one I downloaded through Amazon Prime’s first reads. For someone who has been meditating for a while, it’s a basic refresher course on mindfulness and meditation, but it also had a few new things which I found helpful and intriguing. (Mor
Hellen
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was last summer when I got this book from the "please adopt me or I will be destroyed" bookshelf at work. I got it because 1) it was free, 2) this edition looks gah-lorious, and 3) because I was in the market for learning about mindfulness.

Mindfulness, I always feel I need to explain whenever I mention it, is about meditation, yes, but are the techniques without the spirituality. I know even with this distinction a lot of people will turn on their heels, as I did for the longest time. And eve
Adam Crossley
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finding peace in a frantic world. Does that sound right? Is the world frantic? Manic?

The basic premise of this book is that yes it is. Fair enough. I think busy might be a better word for it. Doesn't carry all the negative connotation.

I don't mind the pace of the world; however, I do like meditating. This book includes several excellent guided meditations. The speaker in nice and chill. I've listened daily for the past 3 months and I'm not at all tired of the meditations. They are really nice.

T
Tariq Mahmood
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
The book came with a 8 week recommended mindfulness course. I loved learning the new technique of 'being' meditation which I feel is critical in the super fast modern lifestyles. I learned how to manage my mood swings better and to pause and reflect before acting without motivation. Motivation has to be a precursor to actions so we can fully control and own our own decisions.

I will now use some of the techniques to ward off my any anxiety and stress while preforming various tasks in my super fa
Alexander Johnson
Bottom line this is a book about meditating.
A lost art in the Western world, I have always appreciated the Eastern emphasis on this practice and the obvious health advantages it has on those cultures. However, it will take a paradigm shift for the typical “American” reader to really benefit from what “Frantic World” promotes.
I'm not going to sugarcoat this and say that it's easy to find the time to meditate. It's not. We have to work hard to make sure that they find time day that we need make
Amantha
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book about Mindfulness! The author includes a lot of testimonials on the various practices, I'm guessing from people who have taken the in-person course. It gave me a lot of information about Mindfulness that I didn't know already. Apparently, I knew the bare essentials but not the long-term stuff. I can't wait to delve into the full 8-week plan and see how it goes. I know it will be hard, but it'll be so worth it in the end, I think.

I know so many people who could benefit from the
Rachel
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The print edition of this book is probably better than the audio. I didn't realize that all the exercises are in the back of the book and it is really difficult to flip back and forth in an audio. So I didn't get the benefit of the exercises in this experience. I am curious about it thought so I've put the print edition on hold at the library. But I do sort of feel like I wasted an hour of my life because I expected each chapter to end with an exercise.
Kair Käsper
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to mindfulness. The practices (which are pretty much the same everywhere) are accompanied by not only illustrative stories, but scientific studies and explanations (the author was a professor of clinical psychiatry at Oxford University). For that reason the whole thing is more digestible for analytical, rational types than a lot of the typical new age gibberish, also better than Headspace or other apps for getting started.
May
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The voice of the presenter is so well matched to the material that it makes meditation an almost
effortless endeavor. The initial resistance is all but put aside because you want to follow that voice's instructions.
Aisha Ayoosh
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I’m reading this but without doing the exercises( it’s not practical at the moment).

However it pointed out to me (again) how chaotic things get everyday. Making sure to bring myself back to earth and out of the chatter in my head! Enjoy the moment right now!!

I’ve paired the idea of mindfulness with praying because it can go hand in hand...so at the least I get to do it everyday...mornings and evenings.

One thing that has definitely benefited me and I see the difference.
Jordan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great breakdown of mindfulness meditation practices, that I can (and have!) incorporated into my classroom and my life..... but I'm really bad at consistency. 😬
Sally
Initially, I read this book in preparation for leading meditation tours in the art museum where I volunteer. This is a simple, structured introduction to meditation with very approachable techniques and tips for meditation. This has become a reference book for me.
Jenn Bradshaw
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up some time ago, and due to Life happening (including buying a house and various upsets to my usual routine), this eight-week plan took me almost four months. Did that affect the overall benefits of the plan?

Not at all.

This book was worth taking my time to get through. Between practical explanations in each chapter, the downloadable, guided meditations, and independent practice, I finished the book with more tools than I began with (and I have been meditating for years).

The a
Matej
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The text is often long-winded, but nevertheless contains many good insights, and these can probably be useful even without doing the course.
Grace Larsen
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book that gives a fundamental understanding of how to meditate and explains the benefits of mindfulness. It’s based on an 8 week program the benefits of which are realized from early on. I would strongly recommend it if you’re stressed, depressed, in a rut or just needing some clarity.
Jonna
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
practical book with sufficient background
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
audio doesn't match book 1 18 Oct 20, 2013 12:49PM

• Mindful Compassion: How the Science of Compassion Can Help You Understand Your Emotions, Live in the Present, and Connect Deeply with Others
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • Mind Power: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression: A New Approach to Preventing Relapse
  • Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
  • The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body
  • The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English
  • The Compassionate Mind
  • The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Breathing: The Master Key to Self Healing
  • The Power of Persuasion: How We're Bought and Sold
  • Trauma Releasing Exercises
  • Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness
  • Clutter Busting Your Life: Clearing Physical and Emotional Clutter to Reconnect with Yourself and Others
  • Rewire Your Anxious Brain: How to Use the Neuroscience of Fear to End Anxiety, Panic, and Worry
  • The Simple Living Handbook: Discover the Joy of a De-Cluttered Life
J. Mark G. Williams, D Phil, is a Professor of Clinical Psychology and Wellcome Principal Research Fellow at the University of Oxford. He holds a joint appointment in the Department of Psychiatry and the Department of Experimental Psychology. He has held previous posts at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, the Medical Research Council Applied Psychology Unit (now Cognition and Brain Sciences U ...more
“We try so hard to be happy that we end up missing the most important parts of our lives and destroying the very peace that we were seeking” 7 likes
“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.” 6 likes