Start by marking “The Vanishing Season” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing Season

The Vanishing Season

Girls started vanishing in the fall, and now winter's come to lay a white sheet over the horror. Door County, it seems, is swallowing the young, right into its very dirt. From beneath the house on Water Street, I've watched the danger swell.

The residents know me as the noises in the house at night, the creaking on the stairs. I'm the reflection behind them in the glass, th
Published July 1st 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing Season, please sign up.
Caitlin Robinson I believe it has to do with where it is published and distributed. Don't quote me on that though.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is such a beautifully written book, but it is not a ghost story. This book is not for everyone. Do not expect anything creepy here.

There is a wonderfully mature main character, loveable side characters, believably flawed characters, with amazing relationships. It has the most believable, well-drawn love triangles I have ever read. I fully confess to enjoying this love triangle---and for me, that happens roughly every time Mars and Jupiter aligns.

But this is not a ghost story. It is not a my
Emily May
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is no place for anyone with a heart."

The Moment Collector, or The Vanishing Season as it is also called in an alternate edition, is one of the coldest, loneliest books I have ever read. Anderson seems to love themes about outsiders, isolation, growing up and not always getting what we'd hoped for - she's already responsible for breaking my heart with the vicious but quiet Tiger Lily, and she returns once more to tell a tale about three friends and the ghost who observes them from afar.

I

Publication Date: July 1, 2014
Rating: 1 star
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

The residents know me as the noises in the house at n
Giovanna
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5

The ending sucked. What was that sh*t????

I'll be cursing a lot in this review. You have been warned.
I'm fucking angry. Like, ugh why did you have to go and ruin everything with that ending? WHAT THE FUCK.

I'm not an emotional, sensible person and I don't usually judge a book by its ending. I always try to consider every single element and then rate the book as a whole. Always. Well this ending made me so angry that I completely changed my opinion in, like, five pages.

Step by step and maybe I'
Susana

This is a tough story to review.

First of all forget all about what you've just read in the synopsis. Dismiss the title _ at least this one, because the English edition "The Moment Collector" is way more appropriate _ and prepare yourself to read an ya coming of age romance.

This is a character driven story and the characters are extremely well done, but through most of the tale... nothing particularly relevant happens.

The drowning girls is just something that happens outside of this stor
Tanecia
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
What The Heck Did I just Read???!!!!!

photo throwingbook_zpsb422fc2a.gif

I can't right now..

photo icantgif_zpsf608a588.gif
Harriet ~ bookworm
*4 STARS*

This will be a short review as I will find it difficult to say too much without giving the plot away!

I very much enjoyed this book, I found that while it was the usual NA I also found it had an haunting background and the writing was beautiful. It did take me a while to get into as it was a very slow, quiet, lonely and actually very cold story!

"This is no place for anyone with a heart."

At first there wasn't a lot of dialogue and while I do enjoy a lot of detail the first two chapters h
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!
This was not quite what I expected. I was expecting more mystery and intrigue and less typical contemporary vibes. The only moments there is anything paranormal is during the ghost POV sections. The rest is about Maggie and her growing as a person and adjusting to a new life.

This is the first book I read by Jodi Lynn Anderson. I did liked the plot, although I didn’t connect with the main characters, so I felt that I might hadn’t enjoyed it as much as expected. I really wan
Lotte
2.5/5. This was a solid 3.5 star-read for me up until the end–I liked the atmospheric writing and the paranormal element kept me interested throughout. But I hated (hated!) the twist at the end and the message it conveys, which made for a rather disappointing and ultimately, easily forgettable read overall.
Keertana
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: why-the-hype
I should have fallen under the spell of The Vanishing Season. I love a quiet, slow, introspective novel that is primarily character-driven. Combine that with Jodi Lynn Anderson's melodic prose and the result is a miracle, the way Tiger Lily is. The Vanishing Season, however, despite containing elements that I would have usually fallen head-over-heels for, somehow managed to keep me at a distance. Its cold, unemotional stance never allowed me to fall for its story and, unfortunately, this remains ...more
These Violent Delights (Robin)
I published my review originally on my blog: http://wherebooksleadus.blogspot.com/...

*NOTE* I CRIED DURING THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS OF THIS BOOK, BE FOREWARNED!

This book has been deemed The Lovely Bones meets love story, and it sure does meet that expectation.

This book is basically about a girl named Maggie whose parents are going through financial problems and have to move to middle-ofno-where-like Door County Water Street. Maggie leaves behind her old life and friends to a life that seems at firs
Jo
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's unfortunate that the blurb sets this book up as something it's not. Because on its own, the book is brilliantly written and will find an audience. But since it was billed as a serial killer/ghost story I feel it will alienate readers. You will not get that kind of book. Instead you will get a fantastic story and psychological insight into friendships. Anderson has a way of probing deep into the psyche of her characters, and her characters are always people that you want to know in
Melissa
May 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
I literally wanted to burn this book when I finished it. The ending is utter bullshit.
♥Madison☁️
That was..heartbreaking! My feeling I had no idea it was going to to turn that way in the end. My feelings 😭. The characters in this were so precious and likeable. I grew to love them and laugh, cry, be mad along with them. I enjoyed. I still can’t get over that ending...happy and sad, unfair at the same time. ❤ ...more
Hershey
The Moment Collector is a book were nothing much happens. It's not a ghost story, it does not have mystery and if you've read a lot of books, you might be able to guess where this book is going. I did. I always love to guess and most of them were right. And that was hugely disappointing.

I guess because I love to be defeated by a book. I guess because I want my guesses to not be true. That's the purpose of guessing, according to me, and this only applies to books. See, I don't hate this book. It'
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Tiger Lily and/or beautifully written character-driven books.
4.5
The living always think that monsters roar and gnash at their teeth. But i’ve seen that real monsters can be friendly; they can smile, and they can say please and thank you like everyone else. Real monsters can appear to be kind. Sometimes they can be inside us.

Probably the first time I love a book that isn't already surrounded by praise. This has an average rating of 3.45, which is alright but nothing that makes you rush to buy it. The vanishing season is not for every reader out there. It's
Giselle
Maggie moves to Door County, a small little town. Being from Chicago, this is a huge transition for her, and leaving her friends behind is also something she has to deal with. But her next door neighbour, Pauline turns out to be friendly and kind and takes her under her wing to be her best friend. Only, she already has a best friend, Liam who seems to be in love with Pauline. Then reports of dead teenagers appear around their little town, which causes her parents to worry about her well-being.

M
Rikke
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, I think.. But I'm somewhat undecided on this one. There's definitely something to like, but also it's something entirely different from what one would expect - which can be a good thing, sure.. But still, not much is going on.. And a love triangle.. I hate those.. The characters were good, though, and the idea of the book was perfectly odd..
Rayne

Yes, that's a four star rating for a book that, so far, has an average of under 3 stars. I'm not going to white-knight my rating and dismiss the lower average one because this book is definitely not for everyone. I understand perfectly the people that have not enjoyed this book, because when it comes down to it, this book is not exactly enjoyable, but I will say that it is achingly beautiful. The Vanishing Season is a really slow book from beginning to end. It has a spark of mystery, bu
Zoe
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Jodi Lynn Anderson's prose

Jodi Lynn Anderson’s previous book Tiger Lily earned it’s spot on my shelf of all-time favorite books quite simply because of Anderson’s poetic, eloquent prose; so I guess I can’t be entirely blamed for wanting to read her upcoming mystery / thriller novel The Vanishing Season. While I didn’t quite like The Vanishing Season as much as Tiger Lily, it was still a wonderful read nonetheless, and Anderson’s beautiful writing still takes center-stage.

Maggie and her family have just moved from Chicag
Drew
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
“The living always think that monsters roar and gnash their teeth. But I’ve seen that real monsters can be friendly; they can smile, and they can say please and thank you like everyone else. Real monsters can appear to be kind. Sometimes they can be inside us.”

This is the second book I've read by Jodi Lynn Anderson and I must say, her writing is unlike anything I've read before. She has this whimsical, almost childish style, that gives the plot and characters a fairytale-like quality. But bene
Wendy Darling
I loved TIGER LILY. But I did not love this.

Review to come.
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
We could have set the world on fire, too, if we'd been friends. But we never were.

The Moment Collector, to be alternately published as The Vanishing Season(which I don't think is as suitable a title), is a book that entirely clashes with whatever expectations one might have. It isn't what it seems.

The Moment Collector isn't a paranormal story because the ghost is an observer, for a long while until she isn't. She has no wrongs to right, guilt to assuage, vengeance to be had. At least, far as s
TL
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
DNF - no rating

As a reader, I have this overwhelming need to connect deeply with the characters I’m reading about. Even when I’m dealing with anti-heroes, there’s always something (usually humor, no matter how non-PC it might be) that keeps us firmly linked. No matter how hard I tried, forming that or any other kind of connection with Anderson’s three characters proved to be impossible for me.

It was all intentional, of course. The overall coldness and detachment wasn’t an accident at all. If any
Dre
The Moment Collector by Jodi Lynn Anderson The Moment Collector aka The Vanishing Season was supposed to haunt my dreams. It is, after all, marketed as a ghost story. The book was actually narrated by the loneliest ghost I've ever read about. I was only spooked one time, and it was during the very first time that I realized that the ghost is narrating the story.
I'm part of this house, and the residents can hear me in their sleep. I rattle the dishes and creak along the floors in the dark. I turn
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

Before I start sorting out my feelings for this book I might first tell you that the blurb (the one you see here or the one for The Vanishing Season - the same book just different title) are misleading. Yes this book has ghosts, mystery and serial killer, but this book is not only about that. Instead the focus of this book is on Maggie, her moving to different town and trying to fit it, meeting Pauline and Liam and the dynamic in relationships between them.

L
Nafiza

I was blown away by Anderson’s previous novel, Tiger Lily, and if you haven’t read that yet, I urge you to. Apart from the truly intriguing synopsis, The Vanishing Season had going for it my love of the author’s previous novel. So I went into it expecting great things and to an extent, I found it.

But then the ending happened and well. It took me a while to gather my thoughts properly enough to come to a conclusion I could articulate. And well, this book, while I liked parts of it, ultimately, I
Kitkat
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
♠️ Tabi ♠️
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My feels. This book stretched and pulled and tied them into strings. I cried, I laughed...and fell utterly in love.
  • Wild
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Feral
  • Icon of the Indecisive
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Sleep No More (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #1)
  • All Those Broken Angels
  • Exile (Exile, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • The 100 Society
  • The Half Life of Molly Pierce
  • Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)
  • Footfree & Fancyloose (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #2)
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 3: Hot Zone
  • Riot
  • Inland
I write strange and mythical stories about young people.
“The living always think that monsters roar and gnash their teeth. But I've seen that real monsters can be friendly; they can smile, and they can say please and thank you like everyone else. Real monsters can appear to be kind. Sometimes they can be inside us.” 18 likes
“We are here to take chances, and fail, and keep trying.” 13 likes