Start by marking “What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Mornings--and Life” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  5,146 Ratings  ·  640 Reviews
Mornings are a madcap time for many of us. We wake up in a haze—often after hitting snooze a few times. Then we rush around to get ready and out the door so we can officially start the day. Before we know it, hours have slipped by without us accomplishing anything beyond downing a cup of coffee, dashing off a few emails, and dishing with our coworkers around the water cool ...more
Published June 12th 2012 by Portfolio (first published June 1st 2012)

Carlee
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
If you're looking for a way to get more time out of your day and be more productive, there's a much better book to read: "Your Brain at Work", which is actually based in neuroscience.

This book was really written as a fun anecdote for busy people in their 30s-50s with kids, mostly, and really doesn't address the lifestyles of children-free couples. Additionally, the book is extremely vague and her arguments don't really hold water. She argues that since successful people wake up early, that waki
Glamdring
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction

Today, instead of reading I decided to listen to this audio book during my commute. It's a short 1 hour audio book full of examples of what some successful/really busy people do in the wee hours of the morning and why they do it then. I was quite disappointed because beside the examples the rest is only common sense and to make things worse, the narration is so boring I almost fell asleep.
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
This is a hard one to rate. Good advice? Yes. If I had read this in my 20s, I would have loved it. Reading it close to 40, I have a different perspective on what "successful people" means and being uber-productive every possible minute is not my definition of success.
Julie
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
The subtitle is "A Short Guide to Making Over Your Mornings and Your Life" but it is really more of an essay and not really a guide. The concept of the book is great. As someone who has become more of an early riser in recent years I know there is power in the morning hours and I was hoping this book would give me the tools to harness that power but it did not.

The concepts laid out are not innovative but mere common sense ideas. The examples given are more obscure people who may work at large c
Riki
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I am not a morning person in any way, shape, or form, so I was naturally intrigued to hear what Laura Vanderkam had to say about successful folks and what they do before breakfast. Immediately she brings forth the idea that willpower is like a muscle that becomes fatigued as we use it throughout the day, making first thing in he morning the best time to tackle things that require a great deal of willpower. Makes perfect sense until I'm lying in bed smacking the Snooze button with wild abandon. S ...more
Kim
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Okay, so not bad advice...and I guess you could say it was a 'mini-book' for those of you who have SUCH busy lives that a book of 39 pages (Nook...with 8 pages of advertisements for her other books) is overwhelming.

Thank goodness it was a $2.99 book.
The biggest questions that loom in my head now that I'm done are:

1) Who is her publisher...and where can I meet this person?
I could write a book so much better than that.
2) How much Laura was PAID for this book?

I will probably never know. If an
Cheri
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I feel somewhat duped by the title of this text. I was expecting what Fortune 500 CEOs did before breakfast or at least business owners and working professionals. This book should have been renamed, How Moms Can Fit In Exercise and Prayer before Taking Their Kids to Day Care. In addition to focusing on moms, the book presupposes that these moms are married, wealthy, and live in fantastic neighborhoods. How else do you get "extra babysitting help" to watch your children while you go to a coffee s ...more
Hussain AlMarkhi
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
اول تجربة للكتب الصوتية
كتاب جميل وخفيف مدته ما يقارب الساعة
اجمل مافي الكتاب انه يتطرق الى الى الخطوات العملية للتجعل الانسان اكثر انتاجية ..
الكتاب يتمحور حول كيفية الاستفادة من وقت الفجر بشكل صحيح ويثبت كلامه بتجارب العديد من الشخصيات الناجحة ..
اعجبني في الكتاب التطرق لكيفية تحويل بعض الاعمال الى عادة سلوكية مستمرة في وقت الفجر الضائع او الوقت الذي يسبق البدء في الاعمال لدى اغلب الناس ..

بشكل عام خفيف ولطيبف
Michelle
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
What do successful people do in the morning?
Stuff.
They do stuff in the morning instead of sitting on the toilet, letting the shower run and 'warm up' while checking Facebook for 20 min.
I'm not sure who this book is for. It's very general, without helping one to sort priorities or devise a plan for enhancing their mornings.
It's always nice to have a reminder that the early bird gets the worm, but I felt like this book was trying to sell copies more then help me manage my time.
Robin
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-growth
I love when self-growth books are short. This is a bite-sized savory chunk of information that has helped reroute my thinking in less than 100 pages!
I'd highly recommend this to everyone. You can use your time to actually grow, not to read a loooooooong heavy tome about how to grow!!!
Grant Huling
Jul 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Timeless wisdom made petty by yuppyish USA Today scribe.
Meg
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was worth the time it took to read: the first 3 segments of the book were not revolutionary, but there were several valuable gems, especially in the appendix in the list of 50 time management tips. In general, Vanderkam is spot on with her ideas and clear descriptive writing style.
Vmichelle Skinner
Another self help book, another book unfinished. Yeah, it's true. This book is a really interesting look into how we spend our time, how we can spend it more efficiently and look at it differently. But (for me) this book ended up feeling like a book I thought "should" read, instead of a book I wanted to read. I've come to a point where I'm tired of trying to cram another thing into my day, tired of striving and focusing on efficiency and achievement. Maybe because the concept of "achievement" be ...more
محمد حمزة
استمعت إلى الكتاب صوتيا
3-محرّم
Elena
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
i dont know why i keep reading books that make me feel guilty about being lazy . Somebody should write a book about how awesomen being lazy is.
Aljazi Al-Maghlouth
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
أيًا كانت الطقوس فهنالك سبب لذلك الروتين الصباحي المبكر. كما تعتقد الكاتبة “لورا فاندكام” أن الناجحون لديهم أولويات يريدون البدء بها أو القيام بشيء يحبونه، والصباح الباكر بالنسبة لهم يمثل الوقت الذي يكون لهم فيه السيطرة الكبرى على جدول مواعيدهم. ففي عالم من التواصل والرسائل المستمره يمكن للشخص أن يقتطع وقت الصباح لأداء طقس يرفع من روحه المعنوية والإنتاجية بلا مقاطعة. قد يمر اليوم سريعًا من بين يديك ومع أنك تترقب لحضه من الفراغ التي قد لا تحصل عليها في مطعم في الساعة الثانية بعد الضهيرة ولا قبل و ...more
Geoff
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book basically describes the benefits of getting up early and ways to evaluate/use this time.

If you're a morning person there are some good suggestion on ways to use this time and make your morning route more efficient.

If you're not a morning person this book makes a compelling argument as to the benefits of changing your routine and ways to use the morning for focused effort tasks.

Nothing life changing but some minor suggestions that can be helpful and a quick read.
Thomas
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Reads about like a really long blog post that was linked to on Lifehacker. But a kind of decent one where you send the link around to your friends. Don't expect a lot of substance, but perhaps a small bit of inspiration, I guess.
Roberta
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book - it was inspiring to read about most of the very busy CEOs and Entrepreneurs in this world and how they make time before breakfast to either exercise or get some of the mundane tasks in their lives done so that they can make room to do other things throughout the day to be happy.
Cherry
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I guess I should exercise in the morning before breakfast...
William
Sep 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a day person and having diurnal circadian rhythms, I would say that is normal. I base this on my experiences of my 70 years of having to be responsible for my time.
As a youth, my folks worked in the restaurant/nightclub business. I had to get myself to bed and up in the morning and off to school. Don't feel sorry, I developed skills that were normal to humans and helped me during school, the military, working and going to school, running a construction company for decades. The is embracing t
Claribelle Bautista
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book at the start of the year was a great idea. Since I became a mom in 2015, I thought that I wouldn’t have time to do anything for myself until the kids grow up. New Year’s Day, I realized that I could no longer wait that long. Reading the book helped plan my day so that I could do things that I thought I don’t have time for. I now wake up at 5am so that I could walk/run around the neighborhood. By the time the kids wake up, I am already home and done with exercise. My husband sta ...more
Cari
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Well that was short and sweet. Reminds me of the Covey process focusing on the “big rocks” in the morning versus overfilling with the small ones. Every minute counts and can provide you more time than you think that will leave you energized and ready to start the day. As someone that gets up at 0430 on the weekdays, there are some tips to help with the transition and commute to work.
Erin Moore
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick, simple, motivating. I really enjoyed her writing as well.
Nick Jones
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Short and anecdotal. Most is common sense. A few good insights and ideas.
Aja Marsh
fun, quick, energizing and motivating.
Kara
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology

As others have pointed out – nothing ground breaking here, just a repackaging of the advice to do the most important things first, and that you can get a lot more done if you get up early.
Rachel Wall
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Quick little reminder and motivator.
Cherry
The audiobook is read by the author reaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyy sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwly but it's still a short and motivating listen and makes me want to read/listen to her longer book, 168 Hours. She gives a strong argument for moving things like self-care and focused tasks to the early morning. As a night owl, it is hard for me to get into morning habits, but maybe it is worth trying again...
Jen Nycz
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick and breezy read with lots of great advice and perspective - probably the most useful book in this genre I've read, after Covey's 7 Habits
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life
  • To-Do List Makeover: A Simple Guide to Getting the Important Things Done (Productive Habits Book 2)
  • Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
  • The Myth of Multitasking: How "doing It All" Gets Nothing Done
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret to Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity
  • Rainy Brain, Sunny Brain: How to Retrain Your Brain to Overcome Pessimism and Achieve a More Positive Outlook
  • Tranquilista: Mastering the Art of Enlightened Work and Mindful Play
  • Darkness of This World (Wrath & Righteousness, #2)
  • Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrow's Success
  • Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • How She Does It: An Everywoman's Guide to Breaking Old Rules, Getting Creative, and Making Time for Work in Your Actual, Everyday Life
  • Hug Your Haters: How to Embrace Complaints and Keep Your Customers
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21s t Century
  • Living Well, Spending Less: 12 Secrets of the Good Life
  • Extreme Productivity: Boost Your Results, Reduce Your Hours
Laura Vanderkam is the author of several time management and productivity books, including Off the Clock, I Know How She Does It, What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast, and 168 Hours.

Her 2016 TED talk, "How to Gain Control of Your Free Time," has been viewed more than 5 million times.

She regularly appears in publications including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Fast C
More about Laura Vanderkam

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Even if you don’t have kids at home, morning time can be great for nurturing your relationship with your spouse, other family members, or your close friends. One of the most disturbing “statistics” I read while researching how people use their time was that dual-income couples could find only 12 minutes a day to talk with each other.” 3 likes
“If you wait until the end of the month to save what you have left, there will be nothing left over. Likewise, if you wait until the end of the day to do meaningful but not urgent things like exercise, pray, read, ponder how to advance your career or grow your organization, or truly give your family your best, it probably won’t happen, If it has to happen, then it has to happen first".” 2 likes