Start by marking “The Dead and Empty World (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.1-0.4)” as Want to Read:
The Dead and Empty World (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.1-0.4)

The Dead and Empty World

(The Forest of Hands and Teeth 0.1-0.4)

Stories included in this collection:
"Flotsam & Jetsam," originally published in The Living Dead 2, edited by John Joseph Adams and published by Night Shade Books;
"Scenic Route," originally published in Enthralled, edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong and published by HarperCollins;
"Bougainvillea," originally published in Zombies vs. Unicorns, edited by Holly Bla
Published October 1st 2013 by Enterprising Kraken, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Dead and Empty World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead and Empty World

Rebecca Rakes
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Ryan has a certain way of writing so that even if it is a short story you still feel for the characters.
She works her magic yet again in this collection.
Flotsam & Jetsam, to me, is a story about the need to connect with another person, even if that person is no longer really with you. It hits hard on our fears of being alone and humanity. Left afloat on a life raft, watching the infection take hold. Who do you hold on too? The infected?
Scenic Route had a good pace and tells of hop
chucklesthescot
Feb 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
SℓιM
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Skip all the other stories since i read those. I just wish i knew all the darn it all stories i brought was in this book i could've kept my money bih. skip them all and decided to read the stories "BONUS CONTENT ON ZOMBIES & EASTER EGGS" thats in the book. And started reading those didn't realize she was talking about writing about the zombies ugh! Fml... Ima rate this book a 4 just because I' didn't like bougainvillea short story.....
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
The Dead & Empty World is a story collection set in The Forest of Hands & Teeth universe. The stories include several during the initial zombie uprising and others that take place later, after humanity has fled to remote areas or formed strongholds in places like Curaçao. “Hare Moon” is a prequel that tells the story of Sister Tabitha. Trigger warnings: death, blood, violence, body horror.

I think I enjoyed this collection more than the actual trilogy. Having read this and Ryan’s short st
Kate
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, age-ya, zombies
I received this compilation of short stories as a free download for winning Nanowrimo.

While I've read "Hare Moon" (the last story in the collection), the other stories were new to me. "Flotsam & Jetsam" was about two survivors of a zombie outbreak on a raft. "Scenic Route" was about two sisters trying to survive. "Bougainvillea" was about a girl whose father became the essential dictator of a small island in order to keep pirates and zombies away. "Game of Firsts" was about a brother and sis
7hir7een
Individual Ratings: Flotsam & Jetsam ★★ | Scenic Route ★★ | Bougainvillea ★★★ | A Game of Firsts ★★★ | Hare Moon ★★★★
Lilith Bealove
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of short stories that follow the storyline (different settings, characters, and timelines) of The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Carrie Ryan is a fantastic author and can truly captivate any reader who is looking for a good zombie story. While she does not focus on the blood, gore, and zombies as much as other authors, she has a way of making the reader always think of the unconsecrated just outside the fence. This collection includes "Flotsam & Jetsam," "Scenic Route," "Bou ...more
Bridget Hanks
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopi-yes
I love Ryan's zombie world, and I did enjoy diving into it again. However, after reading three novels and five short stories things started to get repetitive. Bleak story after bleak story with morals that kind of tend to boil down to 'YOLO.' If you're a mega fan of Ryan's work this is worth a few bucks, but otherwise you're not missing out on much. I thought about seeking out and purchasing some of her stories that aren't featured here and decided against it after growing bored with these story ...more
April
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Ahhhhhh!! Did you guys know I’m a huge Carrie Ryan fan? She is what started it all, my obsession with zombie books. I never liked those dumb decaying things, but then I read the Forest of Hands and Teeth and I literally fell in love with that whole world.

That trilogy has been done for a while now, and I’ve been a sad panda. So when I saw this little anthology was on sale, I could not pass it up. Heck, I didn’t even know it existed. Plus, I heard about it the day before Halloween and I needed som
Rebecca
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Carrie Ryan is one of my favourite writers - before her, I really wasn't that interested in Zombies. Now? I can't get enough of them. Her writing is fluid, exciting and often a little eerie and dark; this combination makes from one heck of a read.

Within this collection we take a pleasant stroll through Carrie Ryan's pre and post apocalyptic world. It is loosely set in the Forest of Hands and Teeth universe but you don't have to have read the main series to enjoy these standalone novellas - but
kate
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
"The Dead and Empty World" was a gift for my NaNoWrimo victory and, to be honest, it quite surprised me how good it was. Don't take me wrong, NaNo is an amazing place but I'm a very suspicious person and since it was a free book, my hopes were not really that high.
Oh boy, I was wrong!
I checked the reviews on "Forest of Hand and Teeth" and some of them were kind of negative. I don't know if the style of writing changes that much or if it's because this is a collection of short stories but I liked
Lily Cuda
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first read "The Forest Of Hands And Teeth" and fell in love with Carrie Ryan's perspective on the zombie apocalypse theme and her style of writing. The first book was impossible to put down, and these short stories set in the same universe were just as intriguing - some more than others, but that's only because she's set the bar SO HIGH. My favourite of the short stories is "Hare Moon", and I was also thrilled with the ending of "Bougainvillea".
Miss Bookiverse
Flotsam & Jetsam
Hatte ich schon mal woanders gelesen, hab ich deshalb übersprungen, fand ich aber gut.

Scenic Route
War okay, hat mich aber nicht so fasziniert. Ich weiß nicht, ob ich mich nicht genug konzentriert habe, aber ich hatte am Ende Schwierigkeiten mir vorzustellen, wer gerade wo steht und was passiert, was in der Schlussszene ziemlich wichtig war. Das Ende hat mich überrascht.

Bougainvillea
Fand ich richtig, richtig cool. Die wechselnden Zeiten (Before und After) haben mich zwar immer
Tabitha
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to the Forest of Hands and Teeth world. If you want more tension filled stories give this a read. I promise they are as good as Carrie Ryan's trilogy!
We finally are able to see how bits of the world reacted to the Return. Each short story encounters a different era of the Return, and various characters living through it. How they encounter the undead for the first time, how they handle people they know turning into them, etc.
We are also able to catch a glimpse of how Sister Tabi
Kim
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Was this book written by the same author that wrote The Forest of Hands and Teeth? I know it says they are one in the same... I bought this book with the sole purpose of reading the short story about the Hare Moon, another glimpse into a character from The Forest of Hands and Teeth- hoping to tie up some plot threads that were left hanging in that story.
I was pleasantly surprised by this collection of short stories. In each of these stories, Ryan managed to pack in enough plot, character develo
Nikki
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not really into zombie tales, but I got this book as a sort of gift for completing NaNoWriMo.
I was pleasantly surprised by the stories in this collection--particularly "Bougainvillea" and "Hare Moon." "Hare Moon" is the one that sticks with me the most, in fact; it was beautifully told.

(view spoiler)
Mark
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of stories set in the "Forest of Hands and Teeth" universe; the tales were well-crafted and pulled me into this intriguing world, making me want to seek out the original novel that started it all.

One of the coolest things I liked about this were the author notes that Ryan included with each story, offering insight about the origin of each story. At the end, she also included notes about the "easter eggs" she left for fans.

Ryan is a solid writer capable of moving the re
Hayley
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this as a freebie, and didn't really know what is was going about. I've also never really read zombie stories before. But I really liked this collection of zombie short stories. They were all very different, all interesting in their own way, yet there was the theme of loss and regret that ran through them all. A fairly short read in the end, but quire enjoyable, and I might pick up the actual series later on.
Jenny Lynn
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've really missed this world, and I'm very glad that I ended up buying this e-book as I'd only read one of the short stories in it before. Now I think I should go back and reread the series...you know, once I have some extra time and my reading list isn't so huge. Oh, who am I kidding, if I want to reread the series I'm just going to have to press pause on some other books for a week or so (thank goodness they're fast reads).
Marcia
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I loved the entire series, so it was great to be back in that world again. My favourite short story was Hare Moon, because it was about one of the characters of the books (sister Tabitha). I wish there would be more stories about characters we already know ;)
Emily
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four stars simply for the amount of content... it seemed like I got a full-length novel for $2.99. I think there are four short stories (all but one of Ryan's in The Forest of Hands and Teeth anthology). Which also makes me mad because, like. Come on. You couldn't include all of them?? You had to exclude one (1!!!)??? Messes with my OCD.
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun Zombie Reading for Carrie Ryan Fans

I ADORE Carrie Ryan's Forest of Hands and Teeth and had already read "Hare Moon." While I'm not a big fan of the short story format this anthology of zombie stories is really good. Other than "Hare Moon" which is part of the FOHAT world, there are a wide variety of themes and settings and I was engrossed in them all. Highly recommend!
JusMe
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short zombie stories. I would of liked these stories to be longer, even though they were shorts, they were well worth he read. Carrie Ryan is the only writer that keeps me wanting more books and stories from her zombie world. She has a style that keeps you connected to the characters and the storyline.
Jessie Wilkens
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
It had been a while since I read one of Carrie Ryan's zombie books, and I forgot how bad of an idea it is to read them before bedtime. This collection of short stories are definitely chilling, my favorite being Scenic Route. I agree with the assessment that we would become just as large of a threat to one another, and the lines between who the real monsters are would be blurred.
Faith
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This lacked so much of the depth that the forest of hands and teeth had. I really enjoyed that series and the way the depth that she brought to the book by writing a continuation of each story from a different perspective. It was bad, but also wasn't great. I think my issue was that it wasn't what I was expecting and in the end it felt like a let down.
Jillian
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't often enjoy zombies tales, but when I do they're usually by Carrie Ryan. This is a strong and compelling collection of post-apocalyptic stories exploring what it takes to live in many senses of the term. My favorite selection is probably "Bougainvillea", but it's a close call. I also appreciated the extra background material.
Elyse
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked Flotsam & Jetsam. I really liked Scenic Route. I didn't like Bougainvillea that much, though the ending was good. A Game of Firsts was okay. I liked Hare Moon. I liked how Carrie Ryan tied the stories together by overlapping characters and adding small nuances to make connections. I think I liked this novella compilation better than the series!
Laura Moss
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carrie-ryan
Forest of hands and teeth collection of Short stories. Only Bougainvillea I didn't like as much as the others. The rest of the stories were edge of your seat, thrilling, and creepy. Great additions to her FofH&T universe. A must read for zombie lovers and Carrie Ryan fans!
Rikke
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
It has taken me a while to read this book, but It's definitely an interesting collection of zombie short stories anyhow. I especially enjoyed Scenic Route and Hare Moon, but each story is rather intriguing.

One day I will have to read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.
Linkypie
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I always tell myself that I'm sick and tired of the undead but every time I venture towards Carrie Ryan I leave feeling satisfied. Thank you for writing such an awesome take on zombies and for creating enjoyable characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Zombie Apocalypse (A Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Zombie Britannica
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Grey Fox (Day by Day Armageddon #4.5)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Defy the Dark
  • How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.2)
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
  • State of Decay: Part One
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 305
  • Holiday of the Dead
  • Zombie Apocalypse Preparation: How to Survive in an Undead World and Have Fun Doing It!
  • Z1n1: The Zombie Pandemic: 2012 Was Just the Beginning
  • Making the Best of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Zombie Island (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • This Dark Earth
Carrie Ryan is the New York Times bestselling author of a lot of books. She use to be a lawyer. Happily, she is not anymore. You can keep it that way by reading her books:

If you like zombies, try the Forest of Hands and Teeth series.

If you like clever, fun adventure fantasy for 8-12 year olds, definitely read the Map To Everywhere series (co-written with her husband, John Parke Davis).

If you lik

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (3 books)
  • The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
“But she knows, now, there’s no escape from the monsters. They’ll always be there; you just choose to live with them or not.” 0 likes