Start by marking “PillowFace” as Want to Read:
PillowFace

PillowFace

Twelve year old Joel Olsen loves all things devoted to horror. Movies, comics, books, and of course his true passion, special effects. Being raised by his older sister Haley after the sudden death of their parents Joel is in a world truly of his own. At the launch of summer vacation Joel finds lying bloodied and near death in his backyard a masked man that is the epitome o ...more
Published March 10th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 2012)

To ask other readers questions about PillowFace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PillowFace

Kaisersoze
PillowFace is a Laymon-esque tale of a lonely boy who connects with a deranged, backwoods serial killer, only to have the various people in their lives get in the way and cause all manner of chaos. The main strength of the novel is Rufty's skill in developing a number of memorable characters before putting them in harm's way.

Three-quarters of the way through, and I was on board for the grand finale, eagerly anticipating the way the various characters would come together. And I was not disappoin
RumbleBee
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Richard Laymon fans
Shelves: slashers, horror
I’m always on the lookout for a Richard Laymon alternative. Various websites/forums list a few authors, Kristopher Rufty being one of them. Nothing particular that attracted me to Pillowface. It was just the cheapest of his library. Not to judge an author by one books, but this is exactly what I was looking for when I typed ‘authors like Richard layman’ into Google.

So what makes the book like a Laymon novel?
Well you have a Psychopath, brutality, sex and gore and a racing fast plot involving both
Jeremy Hepler
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gory, gritty horror story. If you like slasher films, you'll love this.
Hunter Shea
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I'm not joking when I say I couldn't put it down. This is what horror-suspense should be!
Karl
This is copy numner 54 of 66 signed and numbered copies.
Lorraine Taylor
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-shelf
Imagine a terrifying evil killer, a killer who looks so horrific he has to wear a pillowcase over his head. This killer is unrelenting with no feelings for his victims as he tortures and kills them.
Now imagine feeling sorry for this killer as he befriends a teenage boy.
I really don't want to say too much, because this is a book you just have to read, but I didn't ever think I'd be sucked into the killer's story so much, or that I would feel drawn to a killer, especially as his opening scene doe
Shadow Girl
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s a strange summer – a killer helping a boy with yard work, and a boy helping a killer get rid of a body.
Joel and PillowFace can see something in each other, a common thread, and their friendship is immediate. But, by the time Joel finally realizes that he’s gotten in too deep, it’s too late – and there is serious trouble coming.

Usually, when a friendship falls apart you get your CD’s back and part ways. When this friendship is put to the test… one of them might not survive.

Full review poste
Bob
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Damn! Edge of your seat tension from cover to cover. Pillowface was such an interesting character torn between his loyalty to Buddy and Carp and his friendship with 12 year old Joel. Very Highly recommended. Hope Kristopher writes a sequel sometime soon.
The Grim Reader
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read.

A really great read from Rufty. Not for the faint of heart. This was a totally different story from what I was expecting. Excellent. If you like horror and Gore, great storytelling, buy it now.
Robbie Quattrocchi
I liked this book quite a bit. The imagery was excellent and I could imagine what PillowFace would look like. I got Rick from SplatterHouse.
TJ
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this "boy looking for friend, finds fiend instead" gore-filled splatterfest, Kristopher Rufty picks up the mantle left behind by Richard Laymon and establishes himself as his worthy successor. The novel has all of the elements that Laymon used to entertain his fans: gore, sex, moments of sheer terror, a fast moving plot, and interesting characters.

"Pillowface" revolves around the unique bonding between a 12-year old boy and a psychopathic, emotionally scarred war veteran who displaces his an
Robjr73
This book started out as a strong five star. Then trickled down to a four about halfway through. By the end it left me feeling 3 starrish. Cool idea. Boy befriends a serial killer who is basically Jason but with a pillow over his head (visualize Friday the 13th part 2) Turns out Pillowface has feelings too like the rest of us and actually starts to care for the boy. My problem with that is well...I don't WANT my psycho slasher serial killers who wear pillows on their head to having feelings and ...more
Noigeloverlord
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a blue moon a book comes along and make you question why you gave other books such a high rating. PillowFace is one of them books it completely immerses you into it and the only thing you want to do is finish it to know how it ends then when you get there your upset its over. Kristopher Ruffy has just climbed into my top 10 writers with this book!
Kristopher Triana
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Pillowcase, Kristopher Rufty continues his impressive body of work in the horror genre, giving readers a slasher homage that's part coming of age story, part hack and slash, and part black comedy.

The titular character, Pillowface, is a throwback to the 80s slasher icons, a masked killer with a habit of hacking up young ladies. In a grim turn of events, he gets a taste of his own medicine with a few whacks of a machete to the chest. Unlike Jason and Michael, this slasher is human, and doesn
Books.to.go
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein wirklich außergewöhnliches Buch, dass mich ziemlich überrascht hat, denn eigentlich hatte ich mit härterer Kost gerechnet...
Wir begleiten Joel... Er ist zwölf Jahre alt, liebt Horror jeglicher Art, egal ob Filme oder Bücher... es sind Sommerferien. Ein tragischer Schicksalsschlag hat ihm und seiner Schwester Haley erst vor kurzem die Eltern genommen...
Haley ist bereits berufstätig und so verbringt Joel die meiste Zeit alleine zu Hause... Als er eines vormittags im Garten ist, um die Wiese zu
Kaisu
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein neue Laymon? Das Potenzial hat er auf jeden Fall!
Nur sollte der Autor, die Boshaftigkeit auch konsequent durchziehen und nicht immer weicher werden...
Jeff French
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Goddard
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm a HUGE horror fan, I don't usually expect much from the *psychopathic killer* type of plot. Slasher films/ books--on the whole--tend to lack a certain level of emotional and character development that I need in order to truly connect with the story. Kris Rufty has absolutely nailed it here! I am in awe at his crazy ideas, and more importantly, how he actually manages to execute them in a believable way! No offense to the author, but I thought I would be reading "Pillowface" for a bi ...more
Dan Corley
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
One word to describe this novel is FUN. Rufty is supposed to be the new age Laymon, but since I haven't read Laymon yet I guess I'll get to compared in reverse order. PillowFace reminded me of a cult classic slasher film from days past, but set in modern day. We have a 12 yr old boy named Joel that loves horror movies and has his bedroom all decked out with Leatherface, Freddy, and Jason. Home alone he stumbles upon an injured serial slasher who I pictured as a mixture of Jason Vorhees & Mic ...more
Nick
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-competition
The heart warming story of a young boy and his gigantic serial killing friend! This was a very cool story. A lonely boy befriends a killer who stays in his basement to heal after an incident. At the same time the killer, with the awesomely 80s name of Pillowface (the origin of his name and pillow is pretty fucking awesome) is being tracked by his two accomplices who have no idea where he disappeared to. Add in the boy's older sister and her psycho stalker boss, some gruesome kills, a splash of d ...more
Dystopian
When I was in my pre-teens/teens my friends and I would rent a low budget horror movie and all pile under a blanket on the couch and watch it. I needed a book to read that didn't take much brain power and I chose this one for old times sake.

It was kinda ridiculous, kinda offensive against women....and kinda just the thing.
Lance
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit of a guilty pleasure, but ended up, after a good start, reminding me of the old AWESOME drive in slasher movies. Lots of clever new ways to describe gore; good beginning then dribbled to a bit of expected, and half satisfying denoument. Don't move it ahead of other books, but if you want a quick read....not bad.
David Thurman
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the first book I've read by author/director Kristopher Rufty, but is hasn't been the last. His work is accessible, brutal and I can't get enough.
Michael McGeehan
Silly

The author is a bit too obsessed with horror and unnecessary sex. A mediocre attempt to copy the skills of Richard Laymon.
William Drown
Nice Richard Laymon vibe to the book, which added to the joy of the read. In the end, though, the book just dragged in too many spots, especially the last third.
Andrew Milton
Enjoyed this book (I have found another Richard Laymon substitute!), book seemed a bit rushed and abruptly finished in the last few pages, will be reading more Kristopher Rufty.
John Quick
Jan 27, 2016
John Bender
Jan 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kristopher Rufty is the writer and director of the movies Psycho Holocaust, Rags, and Wicked Wood, and also the author of Angel Board, PillowFace, and The Lurkers.

He used to host Diabolical Radio, an internet radio show devoted to horror fiction and film for five years and developed quite an archive list and following.

He is married to his high school sweetheart and is the father of two insane chil