Start by marking “Marriage: A Duet” as Want to Read:
Marriage: A Duet

Marriage: A Duet

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Now available in paperback: "Eloquent and earthy . . . this duet is worth contemplating." (Philadelphia Inquirer)

In the first novella, A Married Woman, Caroline Betts keeps a careful vigil over her husband's deathbed. For 40 years, she had been a devoted wife. But during one awful moment in their otherwise good marriage, her husband William was in love with someone else. A

Published January 28th 2004 by Hyperion (first published January 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage

Jean
Aug 17, 2008 rated it liked it
I came to this book via the author's husband's praise in his memoir. It's two novellas, one on a older woman at her dying husband's bedside; one on a younger woman and her husband after the younger woman mildly cheated on him. Both novellas read/felt autobiographical - though the first in a weird way in that the older woman, from whose view the story is written, has been worrying obsessively about her husband's involvement with a younger woman, and in real life the author was a younger woman for ...more
Penny
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book begs for a quote from the movie The English Patient, ""Betrayals in war are childlike compared with our betrayals during peace. New lovers are nervous and tender, but smash everything. For the heart is an organ of fire." This book of two novellas has that theme: betrayals. In the
first one, I ached with the main character as she waded through the minefields women can experience in marriage, in even seemingly perfect marriages. I mourned with her the lost opportunities and moments of the
Jacq Jardin
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
marital infidelity. shattered trust. pride. healing. recovery.

I loved everything about this book. From the elegant way it is written, to the gradual build up of events, to the realistic portrayal of the characters, to the endings that tug at the corner of the reader's heart (the book is composed of two novellas). Anne Fleming is one gifted writer.

"And if you were married the way she was, right to the nerve endings, you lived, she saw now, in particular peril. That was the joke. Mediocre marria
Lisa
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two novellas about infidelity in "happy" marriages - one about a woman, the other about a man. Both dig deep into the core of how each of these characters fights to find a way up to the surface after being plunged into the deep, murky waters of a beloved spouse's betrayal. Detail, psychologically astute. A wonderful read.
Ayelet Waldman
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was on of my favorite books of this list. She's a stupendous writer. If infidelity scares you as much as it does me, you should read this. And if it doesn't, you should read it, too, to see why it should.
Sandi
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Two novellas. Both deal with spousal betrayal, one by the husband and the other by the wife. Very interesing comparing the methods the characters use to deal with the hurt. Characters are very believable. This evoked a ton of discussion in our book club.
Sondra
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't at all what I expected...just randomly grabbed it off the shelf like I said I should try to do sometime. Ended up being a fast and interesting read. Probably an odd choice to take on a 5-year anniversary trip though!
Christina Wilder
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: heartbreaking
Extremely well-written, but horribly depressing. Still worth a read for those who want to tough it out.
Karen
another one i'd read when it first came out and then really enjoyed rereading. infidelity and the reaction to it never gets old!
Kata
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was ok

Does marriage capable to be a sacred, shiny unit these days? If you think so, don't read this book as it explores the opposite by introducing 2 marriages that were failed, due to infidelity.
Peachy
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
It's okay. Both have great elements, but some parts left me shaking my head. I'd suggest this for people who are married or who have gone through a divorce.
Kim DeNero
May 31, 2011
June Helmsley
Jul 17, 2012
Rosalind
rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2012