Start by marking “Le Ministère libéré du syndrome de la réussite” as Want to Read:
Le Ministère libéré du syndrome de la réussite

Le Ministère libéré du syndrome de la réussite

Why do so many ministers abandon their churches in frustration? These concepts and biblical lessons can turn lives and ministries around.

Frustration in Christian work often results when efforts are not evaluated with biblical perspective. Like many in Christian service, Kent and Barbara Hughes struggled with defining success. Based on their experiences, Liberating

Published March 2008 by Éditions SEMBEQ (first published 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about Le Ministère libéré du syndrome de la réussite

Start your review of Le Ministère libéré du syndrome de la réussite
Samuel Bierig
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good stuff, especially if you have not had an opportunity to think deeply on "the ministries" unique and ubiquitous ability to run the minister ragged.
Steven McCarthy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was greatly encouraging to me as a pastor, so I decided to share it with my wife, and we've found it a real treasure. Now I'm sharing key insights from it with the other elders in our church. In the first half of the book, the Hughes lay out a Biblical definition of "success" in the ministry, telling how they were compelled to search the Scriptures for this definition in a season of intense discouragement. Though not all pastors enter ministry with an obvious "church-growth" mindset ...more
Corey
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Encouraging and very good perspective. This was much needed for me, but I suspect for our churches and ministries today need this as well. Having looked to the corporate, market-driven business model as the basis for success in the church, ministry leaders and pastors are expected to be CEO's that grow churches in the same way, and whose success is defined accordingly. While this makes for a corporation, this mindset is woefully unbiblical and inadequate for churches today. We need churches that ...more
Ruth Baker
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me critically review my emotional responses and negative thought processes around "success". Everyone in ministry should read this. It puts success squarely back in Gods hands where it belongs and was a salient reminder to me to remember Gods sovereignty instead if spinning my wheels ever faster as I rely on my own abilities
Catlyn
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be a yearly read for anyone in ministry or want to help their pastor. It gives great insight of a pastors life and the best ways to help and encourage them!
Nathan
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I was required to read during my undergraduate studies. In a world that will badger pastors with invitations to the latest seminar on how to grow a big and successful church, constantly reminding them of how inferior their faithful ministry is in the eyes of the world (and far too many Christians), this book is welcomed encouragement from a biblical perspective. Much thanks!
Shaun Marksbury
My wife got this book for me after our pastor abandoned small church ministry. It was a difficult time, but this book reaffirmed an important lesson we learned through the process: ministry is measured by faithfulness, not success. Written by a pastor and his wife after they struggled through the same issues, the book actually redefines what kind a pastor should consider "success."

For instance, on p. 108, Hughes writes,
...God is not so interested in our being the star of the show as much as he
Neil Kruger
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very encouraging book from Kent and Barbara Hughes. It details their own wrestling with what success in ministry looks like and how they found answers through scripture and prayer.

Success in ministry is not primarily measured by numbers, but rather by faithfulness, loving, serving, believing, prayer and holiness.

Part II of this book is worth the price alone. A closing chapter looks at the congregation's role in understanding the work of a pastor. Congregation members who understand the demands
Bfleegs
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
An excellent reminder that success in this life is defined by God and not by the world's ideas or ideals. The book is geared specifically toward those in pastoral ministry, but the principles it teaches are applicable to any believer.
In a nutshell, success is faithfulness to God and the calling he has given to each of us.
The last chapter specifically is helpful for lay people, because it informs us as to how we can better serve, help, and pray for our pastors so they can have true, spiritual
Gavin Breeden
A helpful consideration of what success looks like in pastoral ministry. At times the book flirted with being a more general book about pastoral ministry and repeated things I've read in a lot of other pastoral ministry books. I would've preferred a slightly shorter book with a tighter focus on wrestling with success in the ministry. But, at the end of the day, I found the book to be encouraging and helpful in reminding me of a lot of things I already "know" but need to believe in my ministry.
Mike
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is over thirty years old and dated in places the principles are rock solid, and much of the application is even more urgent in our present context.

I walked away with a very different biblical scorecard for ministry success than the one handed to us by both our secular & mega-church cultures.

Kents vulnerability around the challenges of pastoral ministry, and his journey toward reframing ministry success around biblical criteria has been truly liberating.
Carol Blakeman
This book should be read by everyone in ministry, and by everyone who is involved in the local church. In other words, everyone needs to read this. We as church members need to be aware of the pressures of ministry so we don't bring our pastors to the point that he unduly feels like a failure. I appreciated the viewpoint of his wife, too.
Richard Minor
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book that Ive read on pastoral ministry for today. Kent and Barbara Hughes worked together through their own struggles in ministry and produced a gem for those in the ministry.

Pastors will benefit greatly from this, but so will those in the congregation wanting to understand their pastor.
Andrew Vanofwegen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book for anyone serving in Ministry. I find that Kent and Barbara have laid out clearly what success is according to God's Word. From their personal experiences and personal study they've helped me to have a healthy understanding of success. I highly encourage this book for pastors, church staff, church volunteers, etc.
Dónal Walsh
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid book, Bible based, simple and well written. At times felt a little old or like I heard a lot of the same analogies and stories before but otherwise good book to ground worn out ministers who've slipped into success syndrome.
Chad Grindstaff
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a very good book with insight from a pastor and his wife who have been in ministry for the long haul. Those in ministry need this reminder of what success truly is, because a wrong definition of success will always color how we do ministry. Highly recommend.
Mike Dixon
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I think Ill find myself recommending over and over again. Kent and Barbara Hughes write so well together, and this volume is incredibly helpful for pastors, lay elders, and members of the congregation. ...more
Iain Hamill
Probably more applicable to those more at the coal face, but still a few helpful and encouraging ideas.
Will Pareja
Good book. Read for our internship program.
Require this for young aspiring ministers.
Chance Stillwell
A great book on what it means to be truly successful in Gods eyes.
Zine Smith
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I believe that an updated version is needed though.
Miles Mullin
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this again this year (2020) with my Senior Colloquium class. A bit dated in spots, but still solid for shifting our understanding of success in ministry. I will assign it again. ...more
Mark Loughridge
First half of the book on defining what success in the ministry is is particularly useful and a good corrective.
C.H. Cobb
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Very helpful.
Joseph Bayly
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Culture always seeps into your bones and leaves you affected in ways you don't realize. The church culture today is one that has adopted a worldly view of successful pastoring. This book sweeps the culture's view away with biblical truth and leaves you convicted concerning your true failings and freed from false failings. It also includes a helpful chapter specifically to the pastor's wife and another to the congregation.
Chuck Ammons
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Life changing book for anyone leading or serving in ministry - water to your soul!
Timothy Bertolet
This is an excellent book to read. It has been around since 1987 and reprinted many times. For me it just came yesterday, I started glancing through it, then reading it. I soon found that I could not put it down. I finished it in one day. This book is golden. It is one of those rare books that I dare say it is one that every pastor should read.

If you are in ministry you know well the discouragement it can bring. This book challenges you to take God's view of what success is. It both will lift
Tim
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be so refreshing compared to the market driven church growth books that dominate the shelves in Christian Bookstores today. It appealed to me especially as a church planter because church planting was the context that brought Hughes and his wife to challenge the popular idea of success in church ministry with a Bible-saturated view of success.

The first Part is written in two chapters the first by Kent, the second by Barbara. Hughes finds himself audibly doubting the goodness
Chris
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is solid: Man's notion of success is much different from God's notion of success. Man looks at the number of people in the pew, while God cares about the heart of the man in the pew. The book counters the argument that if a church is "successful" then it will grow. I especially liked the author's argument that a mega-church could be hugely successful in man's eyes but an utter failure in God's eyes. Likewise, a pastor could spend his life pastoring a small church of 50 ...more
Mike E.
Highes is transparent about his own struggles as a pastor which lead to a breakthrough in his own understanding of "success" in ministry. The Lord used his wife hugely in this process. A profitable read for pastors, especially those who are in their first decade of ministry or have not been through seasons of a church declining in attendance or affection for Christ.

========
I can say with complete truthfulness that everything I have learned in my 75 years in this world, everything that has truly

• Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership That Matters
  • The Shepherd Leader: Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church
  • On Being a Pastor: Understanding Our Calling and Work
  • Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
  • The Unsaved Christian: Reaching Cultural Christianity with the Gospel
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing
  • The American Evangelical Story: A History of the Movement
  • Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word Today
  • What Every Man Wishes His Father Had Told Him
  • The Motive: Why So Many Leaders Abdicate Their Most Important Responsibilities
  • How the Nations Rage: Rethinking Faith and Politics in a Divided Age
  • Canon Revisited: Establishing the Origins and Authority of the New Testament Books
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • How People Change
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
R. Kent Hughes (DMin, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is senior pastor emeritus of College Church in Wheaton, Illinois, and a visiting professor of practical theology at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Hughes is also a founder of the Charles Simeon Trust, which conducts expository preaching conferences throughout North America and worldwide. He and his wife, ...more