Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search

(Avatar: The Last Airbender - Library Edition #2)

The biggest mystery of Avatar—the fate of Fire Lord Zuko’s mother—is revealed in this remarkable oversized hardcover collecting parts 1–3 of The Search, from Airbender creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko!

Featuring annotations by Eisner Award–winning writer Gene Luen Yang (American Born Chinese) and artistic team Gurihiru (Thor and the Warriors Four), and a
Hardcover, Library Edition, 240 pages

3.) The Rift ★★★★
4.) Smoke and Shadow ★★★★.5
5.) North and South ★★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

I don't know about you, but if my mum (view spoiler)
Book Roast
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS THE BEST. It answered so many questions and tied into the show so well 😭😭👌🏻
Anton
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
These comics show again and again how badly the characters and adventures of The Last Airbender translate onto the page. In the TV series, the episodes not only drove the story’s plot forward, but they also emphasised certain themes, characters, parallels, relationships, motivations, considerations and areas of the fictional universe. Many of these things are lost in both The Promise and The Search.

Let’s start with some positive things about this book. It nicely weaves together the story of the
Blake
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Truly amazing, FINALLY, the story everyone was dying to know..."WHAT HAPPENED TO ZUCKO'S MOTHER???" Once again, they could easily make a movie out of this graphic novel, if they were smart, which means they won't.

Plot twists and turns throughout, with excellent art, amazing writing, and once again, the hauntingly good feeling that you are watching the show, even though in your mind, you know you are actually reading a graphic novel.

A gem of a graphic novel at that. In a beautifully bound book, a
milou  ☁️
What happened to Zuko and Azula's mother Ursa? Here is where you find out.

Italian Trulli

I've always felt incredibly sad about Ursa's backstory and how she ended up being a princess in the Fire Nation and married to soon-to-be Firelord Ozai. She had no rights of her own and her every moves were watched and controlled by Ozai. Ursa even was no longer allowed to mention her life before she ended up in the palace, and that's where her scaring truly began. She's forced to life a life she didn't want to live.

It onl
Katie.g
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The disappearance of Zuko's mother was something that I'd always hoped would get explained in the series. Sadly it didn't, so I was left to wonder forevermore about her fate. Until this book came along.

The artwork is beautiful and the characters remained true to form. We get to see each of them a short way into the future and how they are holding up. There were plenty of humourous parts, soul-searching and little moments that made me miss the show. It was very easy for me to imagine that it was
Marlowe
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In The Search, we follow Zuko's quest to find out what happened to his mother. It's a far more personal story than The Promise, and it doesn't tackle issues of the same magnitude. Still, it was nice to see that plotline resolved.

Unfortunately, I found it rather disappointing. Much of the plot hinges on a letter in which Zuko's mother confesses that Zuko is not actually the Fire Lord's son. It would be strange for his mother to put something like that in a letter when she suspected that her husba
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{July 31st, 2015} MINI RTC?

5 stars.

Again, I love how the series continues AND one of the biggest mysteries of ALTA universe is: What ever happened to Zuko's mother? All the answers we've sought out lies in here The Search just waiting to be read and discovered! I would go into more details but I don't really want to spoil or give much away, this one is REALLY hard not to, but there's so much to say much to my chagrin.

But I will say this: Those of you that have always wondered, it is truly an epi
kris
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Angst-ridden ZuZu attempts to reestablish a familial relationship because society + his friends keep implying that if he wants to be a fully functional member of society he needs to ~conform. It breaks the pieces of my heart leftover from his glorious attempts to be "good" at the end of season three.

While I would have liked MORE in the general sense, this was very good and I love getting even these slivers of life post-series.
Matt Smith
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2017
When reading a continuation of an existing work there's always the worry that it's going to be not as good, somehow disappointing. You can't go home again. Really, you can't.

What makes this volume so surprising, then, is that it really is an excellent follow-up to Avatar: The Last Airbender, a worthy follow-up to (truly) one of the great television series of the 'Aughts.

Picking up after the end of that series, this book explores what happened with Zuko's mother, a character oft referenced but al
Bibliyohan Blackthorn ➰
This issue is about Zuko looking for his mom with the help of his friends, and it has a pretty good twist, but I still feel bad for him and Azula (yes, including her).

I mean, I understand their mom but I kind of see now why Azula had gone all bonkers. She needed their mom's guidance obviously and their mom could have been there for her, as well as for Zuko. I know Ozai was a monster, its just sad that knowing her children are with that monster for a husband of hers, she decided to pick the easy
Sara
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gene Yang is a Gene-ius
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
The original TV show, Avatar: The Last Airbender, is my favorite animated show of all time. I've watched each episode dozens of times and cherish the characters immensely. The newer TV show, Korra, while having some merits, cannot replicate the humor, camaraderie, and social grace of the original program. I tell you all of this because it plays heavily into my review of THE SEARCH.

For fans of the original show, finding out what happened to Zuko's mother was one of those nagging unanswered quest
machinaheart
4 stars because there is a lot in this comic, that I really like, even though I was a bit disappointed by the ending. Unfortunately Part Three fell a bit short after the build up of One and Two.

Things I Loved:
- The art, hands down, is wonderful. And Zuko is so pretty!!
- Sibling relationships (Sokka and Katara's as well as Zuko and Azula's), the other one('s) as well!
- The juxtaposition of these relationships
- The comparison between family and state in the beginning, interesting and thought prov
Sesana
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
As an addition to the Avatar canon, this was pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. The art fits, the characters generally seem to act like themselves, and the story fills in a question that the cartoon left unanswered. What really did happen to Zuko's mother? This book answers that question fully, in a way that I found to be plausible within the world of Avatar and which was mostly satisfying. But in attempting to explain absolutely everything about Zuko's past, there's one particularly we ...more
Kat!e Larson
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I honestly enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It felt very much like an episode of the show. Maybe not one of the best episodes, but certainly on-par with the average ones.

Most importantly, it answered a question that has been killing me since the show ended -- what happened to Zuko's mother?? I'm not sure how canonical this book is considered, but I really like the answer it gives and am completely willing to accept it.

Full Review:
CoolNameGuy
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Search is a great, powerful story. The broken relationship between siblings and the opposite love between others. A show of Ozai's cruelty that surpasses anything shown in the show, and a narrative full of subtle twists. The 4 star rating issue to some portions seeming to drag, and the ending, while touching, feeling like a rushed and not entirely satisfying conclusion. The Promise is still the best Avatar comic, but they're all great so far. (Not the best, the best I'd read so far at the ti ...more
Laney
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
YAY we finally know what happened to Zuko's mom and why she didn't come back from him and Azula.

I think Zuko and Azula are two of the best, most nuanced characters on the A:TLA show, and this is an extension of that wonderful writing and character development. Azula's madness is heartbreaking, but at the same time, as scary as ever. I can only hope there are more comics to come after this one to understand where she went!
H. D.
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If the Avatar crew ever decide to animate any of these gap storylines, I hope this will be number one on the list. The backstory of Zuko's mother along with the crew's search for her in the present are the sort of character-driven poignant storytelling this series does so well. Add to that more insight into Zuko's childhood and the return of Azula (who, come on, writers, is due for a miniseries of her own) make this a MUST for any Avatar fan. Five YIP YIPs!
Spider the Doof Warrior
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was very well done. Good art. Good story. It just made me want to watch the Last Airbender (The show, not the movie) again because it's just such a good show!
Aldi
Wow, this was amazing. Full disclosure, I had a lot of issues with the series finale, but the comics so far have gone a long way towards addressing them. This is actually the first time that a graphic novel/comic-based continuation has worked for me - with most live-action series like Buffy and Firefly, I just couldn't embrace the different medium as an equal continuation (even if some of the stories were good) because the art didn't work for me. In this case, the art is pretty much the same as ...more
Becca
This was amazing! It not only completely lived up to my rather high expectations, but thoroughly exceeded them too! :D

(view spoiler)
sophia (flitteringpages)
I loved the two ongoing narratives in this -- with the past telling us about Ursa's life, and the present showing us Zuko's struggle to find answers. It all came together perfectly with the ending and the art in this was even better than the last trilogy. Got some major Studio Ghibli vibes with the Mother of Faces, which was intentional apparently since they took inspiration from SG while drawing the spirits.

Also idk, Katara calling Aang "sweetie" just makes me cringe because she was never supe
Gerrie Chua
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story! This hit me harder than the first compilation. What a lovely and nuanced portrayal of Ursa. She makes some painful decisions that make me feel uncomfortable and yet because they do her character honour, you can’t help but feel for her. Amazing and gorgeous art! And again, really beautiful character development! Off to book depository to order the rest oh my god!
Michelle
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
I enjoyed this comic so much more than the first one, The Promise, because it provides more clarity to one of the most intriguing subplots introduced in the TV show. I love how much backstory and lore the creators have come up with. I love this world. Amazeballs, since I love political conspiracies set in fantasy worlds. (Yes, I'm being vague to avoid giving spoilers.)
Renay
After The Promise, I was dubious, but the team really hit their stride here. Post-series, this is a much better use of this creative team than creating artificial drama for the sake of having a conflict. This has lots of team work, tough conversations, friendship, and good jokes. The artwork is also striking.
Aileen M
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this all in one sitting because it was simply enthralling! Azula was an amazing maniac that added oodles drama to the story, and finding out so much about Ursa was like closing a chapter. Again, the artwork was incredible.
Kaelyn Sturgell
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
If you love the Avatarverse, you’ll love this set of comics. Besides beautiful drawings, you finally get answers as to what happened to Zuko’s mom (plus a lot of other backstory).
Kristy
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
So so good! I'm loving reading these comics and getting to return to the world of one of my all time favorite shows! It's great to get answers to some questions that weren't discussed in the show!
Stephan van Velzen
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
So good, so perfectly in sync with the show!

• The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (Turf Wars #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part One (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Dramacon Ultimate Edition Manga (Hard Cover)
  • Crimson Hero, Volume 5
  • The Legend of Zelda: Legendary Edition, Vol. 1: Ocarina of Time Parts 1 & 2
  • Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz
  • Darth Vader Omnibus Vol. 2
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
  • Alex + Ada #3
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #2)
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Library Edition (5 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #5)