Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search

(Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics #2)

The biggest mystery of Avatar, the fate of Fire Lord Zuko’s mother, is revealed in this remarkable oversized hardcover collecting parts 1–3 of The Search, from Airbender creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko!

Featuring annotations by Eisner Award–winning writer Gene Luen Yang (American Born Chinese) and artistic team Gurihiru (Thor and the Warriors Four), and
Hardcover, Library Edition, 240 pages
Published February 5th 2014 by Dark Horse Comics

Start your review of Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.) The Rift ★★★★
4.) Smoke and Shadow ★★★★.5
5.) North and South ★★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

I don't know about you, but if my mum (view spoiler)
ALet
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
★★★★★ /5
I love this!
Sadly I wasn‘t the biggest fan of the first installment of the series (Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise) so I was pretty hesitant to get in this one, but fortunately, I loved it. It was an amazingly crafted installment with a really interesting side plot and everything combined really nicely. I was really glad to find out things this installment talked about. Of course, I love the show so it was really nice to see characters interact.
Book Roast
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS THE BEST. It answered so many questions and tied into the show so well 😭😭👌🏻
Anton
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
These comics show again and again how badly the characters and adventures of The Last Airbender translate onto the page. In the TV series, the episodes not only drove the story’s plot forward, but they also emphasised certain themes, characters, parallels, relationships, motivations, considerations and areas of the fictional universe. Many of these things are lost in both The Promise and The Search.

Let’s start with some positive things about this book. It nicely weaves together the story of the
Abby
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection. Because Zuko (along with Katara) is my favorite Avatar character I enjoyed the heartfelt and in depth look into his past. The main thing I didn’t like (Spoiler Alert) was the when Zuko was led to believe that he wasn’t his fathers son.
Skrivena stranica
Jul 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, graphic-novels
All those comics that are supposed to shed light on the unanswered questions from the series are completely and utterly bad and boring.
CF Dracarys
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So much Azula action and scenes. This really tied up the loose ends that Avatar left us with. I haven't watched Kora yet so I'm not sure what stories from these graphic novels are portrayed in on the show.
Cheesecake
A short but very full story follows Zuko's search for his mother, Ursa.
Aang, Katara, Sokka, Momo, Appa and ....Azula (shiver), all go with.
Azula because she claims to know how to find her.
I was expecting a straight forward story, silly me, this is avatar so the path to Ursa is meandering and dangerous.

The drawings are quite good (except for the cover, ironically). Although perhaps not as good as the animated show.

A KU option makes this an easy choice and I look forward to reading more.
(and bonu
Shi ❀
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
YESS THIS WAS SO BEAUTIFUL I’M SO HAPPY FOR ZUKO!!! :’)
Blake
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Truly amazing, FINALLY, the story everyone was dying to know..."WHAT HAPPENED TO ZUCKO'S MOTHER???" Once again, they could easily make a movie out of this graphic novel, if they were smart, which means they won't.

Plot twists and turns throughout, with excellent art, amazing writing, and once again, the hauntingly good feeling that you are watching the show, even though in your mind, you know you are actually reading a graphic novel.

A gem of a graphic novel at that. In a beautifully bound book, a
Khadidja
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ZUKO MY BABY
♡ diasreads ♡
Why have I only known the graphic books exist until now? THE ATLA PLOT REALLY THICKENED HERE OMG

I laughed, I cried and most importantly, Zuko found his closure. Aaaah my heart 💕
Marlowe
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In The Search, we follow Zuko's quest to find out what happened to his mother. It's a far more personal story than The Promise, and it doesn't tackle issues of the same magnitude. Still, it was nice to see that plotline resolved.

Unfortunately, I found it rather disappointing. Much of the plot hinges on a letter in which Zuko's mother confesses that Zuko is not actually the Fire Lord's son. It would be strange for his mother to put something like that in a letter when she suspected that her husba
Divine Anas
So many questions are now answered in this installment! I really love it and I cried so many times HAHAHAHA. This would have ended better though if the issue with Azula was resolved. I mean Azula truly deserved it???? I just want her to have some peace of mind huhuhuh. The fourth installment will have her as well so I hope that she gets some kind of justice.
milou  ☕️
What happened to Zuko and Azula's mother Ursa? Here is where you find out.

Italian Trulli

I've always felt incredibly sad about Ursa's backstory and how she ended up being a princess in the Fire Nation and married to soon-to-be Firelord Ozai. She had no rights of her own and her every moves were watched and controlled by Ozai. Ursa even was no longer allowed to mention her life before she ended up in the palace, and that's where her scaring truly began. She's forced to life a life she didn't want to live.

It onl
Himanshu Karmacharya
The Search continues right after the events of The Promise, the earlier entry in the series. Zuko, along with the Avatar Team (minus Toph), search for his mother, with an uneasy alliance with his sister, Azula.

Its great to see the character development of Zuko, which is fairly evident in this book. He assumes the role of a leader in this one, and also shows a softer side, during some instances. The character of Azula has been written to great effects. The contrast between these two siblings is
Sesana
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics
As an addition to the Avatar canon, this was pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. The art fits, the characters generally seem to act like themselves, and the story fills in a question that the cartoon left unanswered. What really did happen to Zuko's mother? This book answers that question fully, in a way that I found to be plausible within the world of Avatar and which was mostly satisfying. But in attempting to explain absolutely everything about Zuko's past, there's one particularly we ...more
Katie.g
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The disappearance of Zuko's mother was something that I'd always hoped would get explained in the series. Sadly it didn't, so I was left to wonder forevermore about her fate. Until this book came along.

The artwork is beautiful and the characters remained true to form. We get to see each of them a short way into the future and how they are holding up. There were plenty of humourous parts, soul-searching and little moments that made me miss the show. It was very easy for me to imagine that it was
kris
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Angst-ridden ZuZu attempts to reestablish a familial relationship because society + his friends keep implying that if he wants to be a fully functional member of society he needs to ~conform. It breaks the pieces of my heart leftover from his glorious attempts to be "good" at the end of season three.

While I would have liked MORE in the general sense, this was very good and I love getting even these slivers of life post-series.
Elysian
Jun 11, 2020 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Again. I am not rating this

This was so sad. It made me cry. Like. legit.

This is the second comic that takes place after the events of the ATLA series. It is mainly about Zuko and Team Avatar to search for Zuko's mother Ursa so he can finally find peace. Just generally, this comic is so sad you better bring some tissues before you start reading.
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{July 31st, 2015} MINI RTC?

5 stars.

Again, I love how the series continues AND one of the biggest mysteries of ALTA universe is: What ever happened to Zuko's mother? All the answers we've sought out lies in here The Search just waiting to be read and discovered! I would go into more details but I don't really want to spoil or give much away, this one is REALLY hard not to, but there's so much to say much to my chagrin.

But I will say this: Those of you that have always wondered, it is truly an epi
Ro
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this had more plot twists and family drama than a telenovela. I loved it.
rain
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
im crying at how beautiful this story is. im still hoping that azula gets the redemption arc she deserves 😩
Alyson Stone
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book: Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search
Author: Gene Luen Yang
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I did enjoy this one, but not as much as The Promise. It’s still a solid read and it explores a lot of things that I’m glad it did.

So, this one focuses on the search for Zuko and Azula’s mother. This one is a lot slower paced than The Promise and I think that’s what kind of left me a little jarred. I like the character development that we got for Zuko and Azula. The backstory we got just adds so many more
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search is the second plot arc to stem from the animated series fans have fallen so in love with. After the popularity bump that came when Avatar: The Last Airbender moved to Netflix, I was inspired to read through as much of the comics as possible. So far, it's been absolutely worth it!

The Search is more than half the reason why I wanted finally sit down and read the comics, if I'm being honest. This is the story of Zuko's mother – where she went, and why she le
Matt Smith
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, comics
When reading a continuation of an existing work there's always the worry that it's going to be not as good, somehow disappointing. You can't go home again. Really, you can't.

What makes this volume so surprising, then, is that it really is an excellent follow-up to Avatar: The Last Airbender, a worthy follow-up to (truly) one of the great television series of the 'Aughts.

Picking up after the end of that series, this book explores what happened with Zuko's mother, a character oft referenced but al
DJ
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bianca Escada (planningwithlove)
This whole story was great, through and through. If you are an Avatar: The Last Airbender fan these, comics are a must read.

I loved getting to learn where Zuko‘s mother came from, where she ended up, and how she came to be who she was.

The family dynamic and this was very entertaining. Between Sokka and Katara, between Zuko and his sister, Azula.

Also, it’s always great to see Aang and his growth as an Avatar. His relationship with Katara.

I loved the artwork in this. 100% recommend.
Sonia
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
These comics really capture the shows style. I really enjoyed this story arc. It shed light on the long-standing question of Zuko’s mom’s background. I was glad for the answers, but the overall plot wasn’t as captivating at The Promise.
Sara
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gene Yang is a Gene-ius

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire (The Legend of Korra, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars (The Legend of Korra, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Katara and the Pirate's Silver
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 1 (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 2 (Imbalance, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 3 (Imbalance, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy of The Fire Nation
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Three (Ruins of the Empire, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Lost Pets (Free Comic Book Day 2018)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics (8 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures