Start by marking “Şeker Portakalı” as Want to Read:
Şeker Portakalı

Şeker Portakalı

(Zeze #1)

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  27,515 ratings  ·  2,466 reviews
Yazarlıkta karar kılıncaya kadar, boks antrenörlüğünden ressam ve heykeltıraşlara modellik yapmaya, muz plantasyonlarında hamallıktan gece kulüplerinde garsonluğa kadar çeşitli işlerde çalışan Jose Mauro de Vasconcelos'un başyapıtı Şeker Portakalı, "günün birinde acıyı keşfeden küçük bir çocuğun öyküsü"dür. Çok yoksul bir ailenin oğlu olarak dünyaya gelen, dokuz yaşında ...more
Published by Can (first published 1968)

·  27,515 ratings  ·  2,466 reviews

Start your review of Şeker Portakalı
Ahmad Sharabiani
O meu pe de laranja lima = My Sweet Orange Tree, José Mauro de Vasconcelos
My Sweet Orange Tree (Portuguese: Meu Pé de Laranja Lima), is a novel by José Mauro de Vasconcelos. The book was first published in 1968 and it was used for literature classes for elementary schools in Brazil. Also, it has been translated and published in US and Europe. The novel is part of a tetralogy written by Vasconcelos and centered on different stages in the life of the protagonist, Zeze, and by extension,
Rosana
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first “real” book I remember reading – I also remember crying while I read it. I actually gasped when I came across this title while browsing here on goodreads. Zeze, the five-year-old street wise shoe shiner and his imaginary friend – the orange tree – are as part of me as Harry Potter will one day be part of my children. Zeze though is not fighting with the forces of evil in an imaginary world. His struggles are those of poverty and loneliness, so real to this day yet to children ...more
Andre
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book (out of two) to EVER make me cry, this one actually made me sob. I can relate to the main character and his little boy's view on the world, his fruitful imagination, and his endless creativity. I believe everyone can see themselves in him, in a way or another. The sad part -no spoiler- is his depression, his hopelessness, his apparently never-ending sadness, and how much tragedies can affect a little child's life when those closest to him are oblivious to what's happening. Teaches ...more
Sakinah

It is about Zeze a 5-year old kid and his family.
Zeze is a devilish kid in everyone’s eyes but in fact he has the purest heart.
He tells his orange tree his secrets and adventures and from them you get to know him very well.

It was so entertaining to see things from the boy’s perspective and the expressions he used to describe his life were so adorable.

I am super glad I picked it yesterday which was one of the most difficult days I have ever. It lightened my mood and warmed my heart.
The story was
Ecmel Soylu
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah Zezé...
Mahshid
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A touching book that simply reminds you what it means to be human.
Sevim Dogan Ozkan
I can't believe I cannot find this book in English. What's wrong with these people?
Amo0n2000
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sweet, great novel
with purest kid even if he sometimes misbehave ,This novel Brings you back to the memories of the past, how we were troubled children, it's that kind of novel who change your mood to a peaceful while reading it
Oracha
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This's such a nice book to read. I remember i've read it 3 times, i read it 10yrs ago. I cried everytime when i read it, never read anybook and made me cried alot before. Have recommended to friends and they felt the same way. Made you think of ur kid's life. Some might had their experiences same like this boy.
It's one of my favorite book. You should read it.
Ahsen
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My poor little Zeze. I love you more and more each time.
Rosemarie
This a heartwarming-and heartbreaking-little book.
Margot Meanders
"It was you who taught me what tenderness is (...). Today I am the one who tries to hand out marbles and trading cards, because life without tenderness isn’t very special."

This book is a keeper.

This is a beautiful, tender book. Heartbreaking but full of warmth with beloved characters. It's imaginative and cuvid. The Englsh translation is absolutely wonderful, I love the translator' approach is very respectful and respectable . Absolutely beautiful storytelling. Zeze is indeed a very memorable
Sooyoun
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was 6 grade in South Korea. I was in school and class begun but I couldn’t stop reading this book so i hide on top of my text book so I could keep reading.

I know that’s bad but I couldn’t stop...
And at the end i just start crying...

Imagine quite class room, all the sudden one girl start crying for no reason, that’s funny now my husband is a teacher.

This is a love letter to all the children and world to me.
Even now, as a adult when I have bad day looked at the ground and
Jupiter Wright
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emotional
This book made me sob for days. Really. I would stop at one point, cry my heart out for a whole night, and read on the next day. What's worse, it's actually an autobiography, so you know it really happened.

It's a pity very few English-speaking people will be exposed to this magical book.
Virgilio
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully executed narrative. The reader is transported to a world seen by the eyes of a poor but full with life child. It really brought me to shed a tear. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in captivating stories.
Nora
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing a high fantasy book, I wanted to read something light. So, I opted this one...Honestly I didn’t expect much from it, yet I was underwhelmed. I wasn’t attached to the kid nor the plot. I was just reading for the sake of reading, which reminded me about most of the books I read during a school semester. Also, the kid’s maturity of his age bothered me; I have read so many fantasy, hard to believe books, yet this book’s notion of a 5 years old kid to be mature disturbed me.
Sunsethours
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll always remember this book as the only one that made me shed a tear. Lovely, touching story.
Nourhan Elkafrawy
a lot of tears. ...more
Mısra Ergin
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the first book I have read probably. It means so much to me.
Natalia
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I'm in tears, can't imagine there is so touching and beautiful and sorrowful story and I have no words, I can't find anything to explain my feelings, I feel empty and without big part of my heart.
Samar Al otaibi
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beat book ever
Alexandra Pedro
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
É o primeiro livro que leio em 2017 e sei que não me vou esquecer dele.
De início foi complicado para mim me adaptar à escrita, visto estar a ler em Português do Brasil e a minha língua materna ser Português de Portugal. No entanto, recomendo quem conseguir ler no original a fazê-lo. Mesmo sem nunca ter estado no Brasil, este livro tem uma vibe brasileira que me fez ler tudo com a entoação que ao Brasil associo.
Adorei, através de uma personagem (view spoiler), perceber
Esra Nur Yıldız
İt was like a daydream that made me travel and visit my little sweet grey and black childhood. İt is like i had a Portuga who made me find my real orange tree , but when i grew up i lost all the realities and i lost my nature among the skyscrapers...
Catarina Miranda
Although I had some trouble on reading this book, because the way this book is written is not exactly the way I talk, it totally deserves a 5 out 5 stars!
The story told by this author is just so real... and so painful... it hurts! And what hurts even more is that... all of this... actually happened! THIS IS A LIFE STORY!
I don't know what to think about this kid... just... poor kid! He suffered so much... so freaking much... and he was only 6 years old!! Not even 6... he was 5!
This book made me
Joao
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give it 4.5 because it was one of the best books I've read this year.

In this book we are given a boy to watch and this is an innocent boy who understands too much of the grown-up world because of its poverty. And the reader gets so emotionally attached to him because despite all the poverty and all the beating he receives from a family who really doesn't let him be a child he can always find some joy in his life, wether it's imaginary or real. The problem is that ultimately everything that
Lothiriel
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it for the first time at age 10, and cried a lot over it.
I've re read it several times since then. I think it was shocking the first time to read about something so unusual (at the time) as an abusive and poor family. Sadly, this as you get older you harden yourself by hearing about violent situations daily, so its not as eye opening.
I wonder what a 10 year old would think reading this book nowadays... would they be as shocked as I was, seeing as they are exposed to violent news a lot
Gluhpy Memee
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults/kids
Shelves: miscellaneous
I've read this so many times since I was about 10 years old. And everytime I read, I always cried for it. It's about a boy who believed that there was no one loving him. But when he found one, Portuka, that man then passed away. So many verses in this book is so touching. I can't give eaxples here cause I only read it in Thai. In Thailand we rate this book as books for children. IMO, this book is not only for children. I encourage grownup to read this, so they will understand the kid's world, ...more
Lavinia
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, fiction
Not as impressed as I expected myself to be. Interesting opinions about love, hate, religion, good and evil, but hard to believe they belong to a 5 year old kid.

I semi-hated the translation.
Lenore
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bittersweet book that reminds me of a childhood long gone. Simply beautiful.
Eli
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is that I cried with each line.
روايات ابطالها اطفال 2 6 Feb 15, 2020 05:55AM

• Kürk Mantolu Madonna
  • Os Livros Que Devoraram o Meu Pai
  • Brief einer Unbekannten
  • Chess Story
  • حارس سطح العالم
  • ناقة صالحة
  • Vingt-quatre heures de la vie d'une femme
  • O Pintor Debaixo do Lava-Loiças
  • İçimizdeki Şeytan
  • Amok Koşucusu
  • Mendel el de los libros
  • Olağanüstü Bir Gece
  • Kuyucaklı Yusuf
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • İnsan Ne İle Yaşar?
  • Angst
  • .الحالة الحرجة للمدعو ك
  • Küçük Prens
José Mauro was born in Rio de Janeiro on February 26 of 1920. His family was very poor, and when he was still very young, he migrated to Natal where relatives took care of him. Entering the Medical Faculty, José abandoned the course of studies in his second year and returned to Rio de Janeiro.[citation needed] There he worked as a boxing instructor and even as a painter's model.

José iniciated his

Zeze (3 books)
  • خورشيد را بيدار كنيم
  • Delifişek (Zeze #3)
“دیگر به راستی می دانستم درد یعنی چه. درد به معنای کتک خوردن تا حد بیهوشی نبود. بریدن پا بر اثر یک تکه شیشه و بخیه زدن در داروخانه نبود. درد یعنی چیزی که دل آدم را در هم می شکند و انسان ناگزیر است با آن بمیرد بدون آنکه بتواند رازش را برای کسی تعریف کند.، دردی که انسان را بدون قدرت دست و سر باقی می گذارد و انسان حتی یارای آن را ندارد که سرش را روی بالشت حرکت دهد. ” 93 likes
“در خانه ما فقر به اندازه ای بود که آدم خیلی زود یاد می گرفت چیزی را تلف نکند، هرچیزی پول می برد، گران بود.” 39 likes