Start by marking “With this Kiss: The Complete Collection (With this Kiss, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
With this Kiss: The Complete Collection (With this Kiss, #1-3)

With this Kiss: The Complete Collection

(Fairy Tales #5.5)

With This Kiss: Part One

Lady Grace Ryburn, the daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Ashbrook, has fallen wildly in love with Colin Barry, a dashing young lieutenant serving his country in the Royal Navy. When he returns home to exuberant celebrations, will he even notice the quiet wallflower he grew up with … or will he fall for Grace's sparkling, gorgeous sister?

With This
Published June 25th 2013 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about With this Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With this Kiss

Caz
With this Kiss is a story that was published in a kind of serial form, in three separate instalments.
The protagonists are Lady Grace Ryburn, who is the daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Ashbrook (The Ugly Duchess) and Colin Barry, the adopted son of Gavin Barry who also featured in that novel and subsequently in his own novella (Seduced by a Pirate).

The story falls, naturally, into three distinct parts. In the first – which was my favourite and definitely the best part – Grace and Colin meet w
MRB
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hidden problem in falling in love with a certain author's writing style is that my subsequent expectations of her work tend to be too high, setting me up for inevitable disappointment! I love the witty, charming, insightful, sneakily literate writing of authors like Eloisa James, Loretta Chase, Connie Brockway, Meredith Duran (etc., etc., etc.!) so much that I forget loving HOW they write doesn't mean I'll always love WHAT they write. Eloisa James creates a great heroine here in plainspoken, ...more
Lisa Hutson
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh....wonderful lovely historical romance written by Eloisa James. Long may it reign. :-)
There are very few writers, from any genre, that can consistently write marvelous stories. Each very different. Each character very different.
There are even fewer that can write a true story in 200 pages. It is rare to find a complete wonderful story, with details, with side stories, whole families, magical conversations, everything in a shortened version.
I hope all those authors out there planning to ju
Lexie
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing, to a point I really enjoyed these short stories (all about 30pgs each). I loved how James illustrated how the two grew close over the years, how Grace understood Colin in a way no one else seemed to. I thought it was sweet that Colin treated Grace with respect and didn't talk down to her. Then as they grew older we saw how Grace's feelings for Colin evolved and Colin, for various reasons (I'll get into later), clung to an easier time. I had a rather difficult time with a piece ...more
Holly
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was my first time reading this author. In the end, I thought the book was just ok. The writing was decent and the characters weren't annoying. Just a simple little romance to make my day a little lighter. Would give another book by Eloisa James a chance.
Tin
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Colin Barry is the eldest son of Sir Griffin Barry, retired pirate/privateer and notorious justice of the peace in Bath. Grace Ryburn is the eldest daughter of James Ryburn, retired pirate/privateer and now, His Grace, the Duke of Ashburn. Their families have a shared past and have remained connected over the years and the nine Barry and Ryburn children have grown up in each other's company.

Being older than the rest, Colin is forging a path (and setting the bar) for the rest of his siblings and
LadyCalico
When I hit Part 2 I realized why the author broke this novel into three part...because it seemed to have been written by three different authors. Part 1 was excellent-real, human, original, really plucked my heartstrings--five stars. Part 2 was awful--cheesy, stupid, trite, bi-polar, unnatural, contrived, and anachronistic--one star is being generous. Part 3 was mediocre. It was nice that the author decided to quit dragging out the story with ridiculous stupidity and an excess of gratuitous sex ...more
Courtney
First off, I love the idea of gently retelling classic fairy tales and have been delighted to find this series! Like the other books, this one is well written, very witty, and I enjoyed the banter between the characters. True, the entire plot could have been avoided if the H/H had one good sit down conversation and explained what was going on in each of their heads & hearts, but then you wouldn't have a story. Especially since they sort of already knew, but just hadn't communicated with each ...more
Jessica Beth
Actual Rating: 3.5

It's uncanny, how realistically Eloisa James wrote unrequited love. Such a nostalgic little book.
Nadia
No more fucks to give.

This book contradicts itself so many times before the 50% mark, that I just stopped caring. And then Collin gets very macho and manly and I just can't even.

DNF @ 66%
Jessica Van Vleet
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

This had me in tears. I'm such a sucker for romance. There was everything, heartache, men in uniform, misunderstanding, and of course, true love.
Ewa
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book :)
Jay
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative, fun, romantic. Good enough that I finished it today and ordered another Eloisa James book right away!
Missy
A 2.5 out of 5. An unrequited love is requited romance. Childhood friends growing up together and falling in love. Bonus: sex in carriage scene!!
vylit
This is one of those books that I would like to give 3.5 stars. It's well written, and I like the characters, but the story needed a bit more depth to make it shine.

Grace, our protagonist, is shy and overshadowed by her charming and outgoing sister, Lily. What I like about this is that while Lily can be a bit... self-absorbed, she's a nice girl who loves Grace. She just likes fun and mischief and isn't serious or ready to settle down like Grace.

Grace finds herself infatuated with Colin, the son
SSShafiq
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
So it turns out I’ve read this one before. One of my favourite tropes and favourite authors so I was predisposed to like this one. And it was cute and fine. Too short to be truly specially this follows the trope very closely. The twist about Colin being blind was a curve ball and I would have preferred him wooing her. But I get the choice to hurry this novella along. In the end the latter half felt rushed. The first third of this and the first half of the second part are good. The rest not so mu ...more
Maureen
I enjoyed The Ugly Duchess and Seduced by a Pirate and it was nice to read a book about their children. It gives you a glimpse of the lives of the two pairs after they each got their happily-ever-afters.

I've wondered about the Christmas get-together that James and Griffin kept talking about in the first book since there was no mention of it in the following book. I'm glad to learn that they did make it happen, and that it became some sort of tradition with their families.

It's nice to see James
Jessica
I am sorry, it feels so twisted. This story feels like it’s being pushed to be that way. :( I don’t know if you can suddenly love someone, or that realization might come to you that you actually love them but it’s too late. But it’s a cute story. Ah, I thought too much with this novel, I guess. Of course fiction won’t happen in real life. Anything can happen in fiction.

However, I so agree with the girl, you gotta fight for him!
Petra
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a perfect short read. I think I cried during the whole first part of the book. The love story at the beginning seemed so heartbreaking and at the same time so very sweet. And then it becomes sexy and funny and I was just wondering how did author pulled it off.
Definitely recommend it if you are looking for short, light and easy read but still with all emotions eloquently played out.
Tory Holmgren
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series and I loved the characters. I also would read other books by this author
Frances
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only gave this two stars because although the first half was really good the second half was lame.
Asia
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty cute. I liked both MCs and the push/pull and angst in this was great.
-Bookish Gal-
Eloisa James' With this kiss series chronicles the lives of Lady Grace Ryburn, the daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Ashbrook and Colin Barry the adopted son of her father' best friend Sir Griffin Barry. Their fathers are reformed pirates who now lead respectable lives along with their wives and children.

The families are close and hence Grace and Colin have known each other all their lives. Grace has a younger sister, whose beauty surpasses her own and that proves to be a running theme through
Maggie Hesseling
I'm pretty sure that I've read this story before, but apparently it's been quite a while because I remembered some of it and couldn't recall others. One aspect of stories such as With This Kiss is that because it centers around the next generation of main characters from previous stories we get a look into what their lives are like after. In the case of the Duke and Duchess, they seem to be the perfect parents. Aware of their children's shortcomings but also supportive. They also have a great lo ...more
Courtnie
Added a star because Part One was fantastic, nearly perfect.

Part Two and Three? Messy and disjointed.

One thing that I've noticed in this series is that Eloisa James answers all problems with sex. If there's a misunderstanding? Sex! Hurt feelings? Sex! Insurmountable circumstances? Sex! A broken man's drug-induced fever dreams and a women desperate to marry her love? Fake-Dream sex in a carriage!

This is so disappointing, especially in this book where the love story is poignant and, at times, tr
Sheila Melo
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sweet Story in Three Parts

WITH THIS KISS is a novella that consists of the parts that were originally published separately and then collected into one book. This book is party of the Fairy Tales series and is connected with THE UGLY DUCHESS and SEDUCED BY A PIRATE. WITH THIS KIA tells the story of Grace Ryburn, the daughter of the characters in THE UGLY DUCHESS and Colin Barry, the adopted son of the characters in SEDUCED BY A PIRATE. Grace had been in love with Colin since childhood. She writes
Rachel C.
It's Goodreads Romance Week!

Eloisa James is my hero. Literature professor by day, romance novelist by... the other parts of the day (because I refuse to believe that romance writing gets relegated to the darkness!)... she gets to have it all. Two successful careers, and a life encompassed by books - what could be more of a Happily Ever After than that?
Tirza Horvath
I am very disapointed, I've waited 2 years to read this book, and it was even good, what makes me feel even worse is that I have paid £3 for this book and I cannot return it now...
 photo 845929_zpsea64c145.gif

But,the only thing I can thank this book for is that it made me realise that I don't want to read any more of the Eloisa James books except for one. I just do not like her books they are almost all the time her books are terrible, I know that the last book I am going to read will also disapoint me. I don't like her wr
Maria
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: page references are taken from an ePUB version of the book.

My thoughts on Part One:
Grace is a shy, observant girl, a talented artist, a quiet soul. She’s always in the background outshone by her younger sister, Lily. “She watched the way grown-ups responded to a girl like Lily versus a girl like herself.” (p6)

I love that the first thing Grace notices about Colin is his kindness. This is a true hero quality to me.

Grace and Colin are childhood friends, whose parents are good family friends.
  • Innocence Undone (Kingsland, #1)
  • Delayed Delivery (Pursuit, #2.5)
  • Love According to Lily (American Heiresses, #4)
  • Just Married (More than Friends, #1)
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • The One That Got Away (includes: Effingtons, #8.5)
  • What Happened at Midnight
  • At the Duke's Wedding
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • Mine Would Be You (Sweet Home Alabama #1)
  • Wait for Me
  • Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)
  • How to Tame Your Duke (A Princess In Hiding, #1)
  • The Governess Club: Claire (The Governess Club, #1)
  • The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1)
  • Dark Side of the Laird (Highland Bound, #3)
  • A Wicked Pursuit (Breconridge Brothers, #1)
  • Modern Arrangements: Complete Trilogy (Modern Arrangements, #1-3)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more

Fairy Tales (5 books)
  • A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales, #5)
“The year Grace turned fourteen, Colin walked through the door in a uniform, and her heart gave one big thump and never beat exactly the same way again.” 0 likes