Start by marking “On Sunset Beach (Chesapeake Diaries, #8)” as Want to Read:
On Sunset Beach (Chesapeake Diaries, #8)

On Sunset Beach

(Chesapeake Diaries #8)

From New York Times bestselling author Mariah Stewart comes a captivating and heartwarming new novel in her beloved Chesapeake Diaries contemporary romance series—perfect for fans of Barbara Freethy, Robyn Carr, and Susan Mallery.

Published July 1st 2014 by Ballantine Books

Start your review of On Sunset Beach (Chesapeake Diaries, #8)
Shelley Lawrence
On Sunset Beach follows another of St. Dennis’s legendary Grace Sinclair’s children, Ford. He has been absent from this small town and his family for years as he fought for people’s freedom in Africa. After a devastating event, he’s finally and reluctantly home once again.

Meanwhile, Carly Summit, Ellie’s best friend, is in town from New York promoting her new book and an art exhibition by her own discovery, Carolina Ryder’s work. The two seem to heal wounds within one another as well
Janeiowa
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel, the latest in the Chesapeake Diaries series, continues to revolve around the children of Grace Sinclair and the eastern shore town of St. Dennis.

The characters of Ford, Grace's youngest child, and the female main character Carly Summit, a wealthy and successful art gallery owner, are both believable and likeable. Neither is perfect, of course, and they should not be to be, for me, realistic.

The storyline progressed a bit slowly at times, but that was ok. All of this books in this s
karen wescott
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Solid beach read. Strong characters within a beach community. No surprises within the plot.
Paperback Book Club
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Erin
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Carly Summit grew up wealthy in Connecticut. She owns several art galleries and is making a name for herself, bringing fresh new faces to the art world. She is aiming for her world debut with her next project, a twentieth-century painter, who just happens to be a relative of her friend. Carly's positive attitude is the complete opposite of Ford Sinclair's. Ford is just returning home from his career in the military. While he was gone, he witnessed horrible, unspeakable acts. Ford keeps his emoti ...more
Ann Lorz
Like all the other prior books in the series this one is well written, with wonderful characters. You can't help falling for both Ford and Carly. They are both very nice, likable people. You can't help but want them to be happy. Ford has a few past issues he needs to work out but with Carly's help his feet hit solid ground. You can't help but cheer these two on. A wonderful summer read!
BJ
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another excellent entry in the Chesapeake Diaries series by Mariah Stewart. I love the small town on the Eastern Shore and its inhabitants. This series has a lot of charm and romance.
Jana
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mariah-stewart
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to see what Mariah has in store for Dan! :)
Romancing the Book
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Reviewed by Jen
Book provided by NetGalley

I've been waiting for Ford's story.  Since his mother has been a prominent fixture in the series, he's been brought up several times and so it's finally great to see him finally land in his hometown.  I've been loving this series and so when this book came across my desk, I knew it was time to return to St. Dennis.

Ford has some major issues.  He's finally returned home after a particularly nasty mission in Africa and just wants to lose himself and heal.
Marcy
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Carly Summit’s name couldn’t be more fitting, since in life she always lands on top. She grew up wealthy and privileged in a tony Connecticut town, opened her own gallery in New York City, and is about to make art world history displaying previously unknown works by a prominent twentieth-century painter. No wonder she possesses a can-do attitude that can’t be soured. Ford Sinclair is another story. A military career in war-torn Africa, where he witnessed unspeakable violence and suffering, has l ...more
Loretta
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the previous book, when Carly Summit, a renown art dealer, discovered that Ellie, her friend, had some Carolina Ellis' paintings, she wanted to display them to the art world. She fully planned to show them in her galleries in New York, but the St. Dennis town board wanted them in the newly available Enright Mansion. So Carly agreed to move down to St. Dennis to supervise the opening of the gallery. Then Ford, son of Grace Sinclair, owner of the weekly newspaper, arrives home from his military ...more
Jessica
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mariah does it again with this charming, small town romance. This story balances the pain of shocking discovery with the pleasure of self discovery that only a good old fashioned soul shattering revelation can kick start. Though the rhythm of the story and pattern of events is synonymous with the rest of the series, Jamie's internal conflicts are easily familiar and she handles the bumps in her life journey with poise. With one heck of a supporting cast, not that Grace Sinclair takes a second se ...more
Katy
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another episode set in the Chesapeake Bay area town of "St. James." Ford returns home to recover from his time serving in Africa and comes to the realization his aging mother is doing just that===aging. He takes over her job of running the local paper temporarily (famous last words!) and falls in love with an art gallery owner who is setting up an event displaying of the works of one of the Bay's unsung artists.
Debbie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of her books and this one was as good as all the others. Great pacing, great characters. And I lvoed the story it told. Easy enough to get through in a couple of days, but in depth enough that I felt like it meant something. I love it when I read a book adn I can't decide who my favorite character is because I loved them all. Another winner by Stewart.
Emsy Van Wyck
Small town romance at its BEST! The PERFECT summer read!!!
Will an urbanite gallerist and a cynical soldier find love in Mariah Stewart’s On Sunset Beach?

Combine the story of an art historian / gallerist who’s discovered a priceless cache of heretofore unknown paintings by an early-20th-century female artist, with the return of a disillusioned soldier, a hometown boy who’s served for too many years it seems as a support for UN Peacekeepers in a Central African country and you will have a bit of m
Ada Iaboni
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This one had a bit more drama, but still a sweet story of, once again, finding one's self and what one is meant to do... and again, true love.
The only complaint for me was that the main character's revelation was so subtle that the reader almost misses it.
Cate Martin
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Perhaps I wasn’t in the mood to read a descriptive book. I can see how people would love this book but I did a quick speed read to the end. I love hotted up romances so this book wasn’t so much for me
Karen Debolt
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Ford and Carly. Good story line and the characters were developed well. Very believable story. Enjoyed the book and would recommend to anyone. Looking forward to reading the next book.
Amy Jacobson
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this series that takes place on the Chesapeake. The characters have interesting lives and the author entwines a historical background for their stories. A light read; with a feel good story.
Karen S Green
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite an experience.

The storyline is straightforward, but the characters are stellar. They have issues and challenges just like you and me !!!
Carol Rankin
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On Sunset Beach

Great surprises and action. Love conquers all. Surprises galore especially when the main characters find out that they can't be apart!
Melissa D
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Couldn't get through it. I had the ending figured out by chapter 2.
Beth Winger
Read more of this author
Samantha
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Story of Ford and Carly! I wish I could see the paintings!
Juliewheatcox.Net
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the story, the characters, and the location. I was disappointed with the romance of it, though. It teased you with one sex scene, then went G rated.
(Note to self: the town setting was totally reminiscent of another series by another author. The names of the shops weren't the same, but it felt like a copycat.)
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Looking for a great summer novel to take with you to the beach? Look no further than On Sunset Beach by Mariah Stewart. This is the 8th book in the series and I have read every single one of them so I truly feel like a resident of St. Dennis, the beachside community on the Chesapeake Bay where all these novels take place. Along the way, we get to meet a couple, sometimes they are residents of St. Dennis or simply have found themselves there by fate, but whatever the reason, love and romance alwa ...more
Abby
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
**Received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

"On Sunset Beach" is written by Mariah Stewart, and it's the eighth book in her "Chesapeake Diaries" series and can be read as a stand-alone book. I've always loved this series, and this is no different. The stories Mariah writes are poignant and well-written. In this book, we read about Carly Summit and Ford Sinclair.

Carly has an art gallery in Manhattan and is also writing a manuscript about Carolina Ellis, a famous painter w
Sue
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
In On Sunset Beach (Chesapeake Diaries #8) by Mariah Stewart, Carly is working on a project that will thrill the art world and finally prove that she deserves to be where she is today. Growing up with it all, Carly has worked hard to be successful on her own. A splashy debut in one of Carly's galleries of previously unknown artwork of a famous painter from St. Dennis, along with a book Carly is writing about the painter, will demonstrate how far Carly has come on her own.

In St. Dennis, Ford Sin
Char (1RadReader59)
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with an entry into Grace Sinclair’s diary talking about her son Ford being away. And that he is coming home from Africa. What he was doing there is still not clear whatever it was has left him haunted, lonely, scarred, scared, and leery. Yet, he takes nothing for granted, because what he saw and did while he was gone, he will never forget. Now what he used to call home all seems so foreign to him now.
Ellie Ryder had found many, many drawings and paintings and different me
Betty
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SUNSET BEACH

Mariah Stewart
Ballantine
July 2014

The Chesapeake Diaries

Grace Sinclair’s son, Ford, is home at last from Africa and whatever government job he has had for the last six years. Now all of Grace’s children are in St. Dennis at the same time; her daughter Lucy and her other son, Dan, already live here. Hopefully Ford will decide to stay also.

Carly Summit is an art dealer who owns upscale galleries in New York, Boston, and Chicago; and, she is a managing partner in several galleries in E
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Borrow 1 3 Mar 06, 2016 01:28PM

• Beachside Beginnings (Moonlight Harbor)
  • Summer at Lake Haven (Haven Point, #11)
  • The Summer Retreat (A Moonlight Harbor Novel Book 3)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • Coral Cottage (Coral Cottage at Summer Beach #1)
  • Return to Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles #9)
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
  • That Summer Place
  • Tangled in Ivy
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • Sweet Sacrifices (Candle Beach #8)
  • The Cliff House
  • Winter at the Beach (Moonlight Harbor, #2)
  • Nantucket Weddings (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove Book 5)
  • True Blue (Long, Tall Texans #41)
  • Hot Flash Holidays
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of forty-one novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner ...more

Chesapeake Diaries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Coming Home (Chesapeake Diaries #1)
  • Home Again (Chesapeake Diaries #2)
  • Almost Home (Chesapeake Diaries #3)
  • Hometown Girl (Chesapeake Diaries, #4)
  • Home for the Summer (Chesapeake Diaries, #5)
  • The Long Way Home (Chesapeake Diaries, #6)
  • At the River's Edge (Chesapeake Diaries, #7)
  • That Chesapeake Summer (Chesapeake Diaries, #9)
  • Driftwood Point (Chesapeake Diaries, #10)
  • The Chesapeake Bride (Chesapeake Diaries #11)