Start by marking “Have a Nice Guilt Trip” as Want to Read:
Have a Nice Guilt Trip

Have a Nice Guilt Trip (The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman #5)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  1,227 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella are back with another collection of warm and witty stories that will strike a chord with every woman. This series is among the best reviewed humor books published today and has been compared to the late greats, Erma Bombeck and Nora Ephron. Booklist raved of the third book in the series, Meet Me At Emotional Baggage Claim, "readers ...more
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published July 8th 2014 by Macmillan Audio (first published July 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Have a Nice Guilt Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have a Nice Guilt Trip

Danielle Rush
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I always choose the audio version of their books because I think hearing the stories in Lisa and Francesca's voices adds to the experience. The stories about Mother Mary were especially poignant, knowing she recently passed away. I was sad to come to the end of the CDs.
Minty McBunny
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, october-2014
No. No no no no no. Both of these women are annoying, self-absorbed, I have nothing in common with them and have no interest in reading their self-congratulatory/self-deprecating anecdotes any further. Did not finish.
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Ms. Scottoline. I enjoy reading her books. I can't remember really not liking any of the books I have read. I had this book sitting on my stack for a while begging me to check it out. I finally grabbed it and started reading it. While I like that I felt I got to know Ms. Scottoline better as well as her family including her daughter, Francesca, brother, Frank and her mother, Mary, I was thinking and hoping that this book would read more like a comedy. It did not so and I agree with ...more
Yaritza
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book officially wins five stars from me.This is the most hilarious book I have ever read. Lisa is an amazing author who could make anyone laugh with her jokes. I have never met Lisa but feel like I am her best friend after reading all those personal and at times embarrassing moments she had. Mother Mary is just the funniest and controlling mother, who I learn to cherish throughout the book. Francesca is an amazing author who really loves and cherishes her family. The most funniest part that ...more
Alyssa
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister won the book from a good reads giveaway and I hijacked it at the airport on our trip. It was highly amusing and a quick read, so much so that I was reading the last page as we stepped off the last plane.
Donna
This is the second book I've read by this author. This one is nonfiction and it was also a joint project with her daughter. This book was just okay for me. It really wasn't my kind of humor. Sometimes I felt like it was a little on the TMI side. She talked about things I really didn't want to know about, let alone the gritty details of said things.

Also, I'm not a fan of the format. It was just a bunch of snipets...all unrelated.
Mary Gramlich
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will need more than a carry on for this trip!

When you read this series of books by Lisa and Francesca (see I acted like they are my friends) you are thinking “authors have really normal lives” which sucks because I expected so much more from them. They have relationship issues, family drama, getting into trouble when you have free time, and animals they love. The only thing is it seems more interesting when you read about these things going on than when you are living them, why is that? Writ
Diana Qureshi
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was somewhat bittersweet to read because some of the stories featured Mother Mary, who recently passed away. As usual the stories written by Lisa Scottoline and her daughter were humorous, interesting, short & sweet. I always look forward to these books and read them very quickly once they are published and I get them from the library.
Ruth
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to read Lisa Scottoline. With the exception of the book that just came out this week, I have read them all. I especially enjoy the humorous essays that she writes with her daughter. I have been to her house with my sister and daughter. I identify with everyday things that she writes about and love that she sees the humor in them. She has a daughter making her way in NYC. I have a daughter making her way in NYC. She goes to visit her daughter. I go to visit my daughter. We should totally h ...more
Katlyn
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently won this book in a giveaway on this site... As a thirteen almost fourteen year old girl I had never heard of this author. But as I began to read more and more of this book I thought it was amazingly written. However, I am pretty sure that I wasn't the target audience :p I am giving this book a 3/5 stars because although very entertaining; I didn't really connect with the characters and I understood that this book was meant to be read by someone who was probably in there late twenties. ...more
Kristine R.
This is not my kind of book at all. I made the mistake of listening to it on audio and I know it is just me personally but, I find books that are narrated by the people who wrote them to be very irritating. I only finished half of it. It is difficult for me to take life lessons from someone who is far younger than me who seemingly grew up under a sheltered canopy of what life is really like. I can't really take advice from someone who doesn't know what it's like to have your spirit broken once i ...more
Susan McChesney
I usually love Lisa Scottoline's books. She's a local author for me. This book was a mishmash of short narratives by either her or her daughter. Some of hers were amusing. Some of them were her take on politics or our government. I really did not like her daughters at all. I did not find them interesting or amusing and frankly most the time I found them boring. I will continue to love and read Lisa's books. However I will steer clear of her collections of short stories.
Erin Barnett
I received this as part of a first reads promotion. It is a witty, quick read. If you're looking for something deep and thought-provoking, this isn't going to fill that void. However, this is great beach or airplane reading. It's light enough that distractions aren't a big deal and each story is only a few pages long. There were times I know the author would have expected a laugh that just felt too contrived, but there were some funny parts.
Beth
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lisa Scottoline's books. She is just like me! She makes the ordinary seem hilarious! "My favorite food is calories". OMG!! That is me!! She too has painstakingly created a garden that ended up a mess - just like me. And she laughed about it. She has a Thing 1 and a Thing 2 - just like me. She is an amazing woman. I really admire her strength and independence. I will read every one of these books that she puts out. Finding humor in everyday life. Its something we all should do more of.
Shira Reiss
Aug 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started to listen to this book on CD in the car on the way to work. The book is read by the authors, an Italian mother and her daughter who wrote vignettes about different thoughts and experiences they have had in life. The stories did make me laugh aloud, but after many short chapters, I grew bored and wanted to hear a more substantial book. If you want a very light book, nothing heavy, that may make you laugh, then you will enjoy this book.
Nicole Neal
This is my 2nd book by Scottoline and this one was quite a bit different writing style, this book was a mishmash of short narratives by either her or her daughter. Some of hers were amusing. Some of them were her take on politics or our government. I will probably steer clear of the short story books of hers but still have 2 others on my want to read list and will read them.
Nan
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really funny. Interesting to note the similarities and differences between the writing styles of mother and daughter. It is an easy read. Short chapters that may have been newspaper columns as they each could stand alone. Definitely recommend.
Catellis
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was really just o.k. for me. I enjoyed the daughter's stories much better than the mother's. The mom talks of the pressure to meet writing deadlines from time to time and I felt that explained many of her chapters.
Stephanie Hong
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I definitely recommend to any girl or woman. It is hilarious and quirky with some interesting jokes thrown in here and there. I extremely enjoyed the book; I could always depend on it to get my spirits back up!
Aditi
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, bri-2015
She calls her ex-husbands thing 1 and thing 2. LOL!
Christine
Can't wait for the next one by Lisa and Francesca!
What a team! Awesome! Each and every story to make you smile or laugh!
Mary Jo Burke
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of these chapters hit very close to home. Funny and true.
Irene
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Scottoline is one of my favorite authors -- for both her fiction and nonfiction. I absolutely love her sense of humor and perspective on life, and this series of autobiographical snippets from her life is delightful, clever, funny. The kind of book to read a few chapters at a time, put aside for a bit, and pick back up without missing a beat. Have read all of these and look forward to the next ones (already published).
Thecajungirl
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by a mother and daugter. It is a witty, light yet insightful comical read focusing on their individual family life experiences that have resulted in emotional guilt.

"Because in a family, unlike a court of law, there's no statute of limitations on being heard. In a family, you can air your grievances, however crazy they may sound."
Dorina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I read this before and forgot. I picked it up and breezed right through it again. It is such a fun read. I laughed, chuckled and totally enjoyed this edition of Lisa and Francesca's life adventures. If you haven't read them, I highly recommend. Great vacation and/or beach read.
Melissa
I enjoyed the stories in this book. There were some really nice stories about the difficulties of balancing life and our guilt within our relationships. I enjoyed the funny quips of the authors, and thought the book had a nice touch!
Brenda
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I only have one more of their audio books to listen to and then I may go through withdrawal! I haven't laughed this much either reading or listening to books in a long time, it makes my commute and my computer time so much more enjoyable!
Christina
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, 2017
There were a few laughs in this one, which was a good enough audiobook for commuting. Nice short stories that were ok to zone out (let's face it; this happens while listening to audiobooks while commuting) and amusing enough to keep listening.
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, these essays are funny and right on target in terms of everyday life. An enjoyable read.
Claudia Aroni
A super quick read and somewhat funny, not hahaha funny but more like ha-ha funny relatable because I am not the only one with a crazy family of origin. I love you mami!
  • Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders
  • The Three Musketeers Of The Army Air Forces
  • This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith and Life
  • Over Our Dead Bodies: Undertakers Lift the Lid
  • NPR Laughter Therapy: A Comedy Collection for the Chronically Serious
  • Daddy, Stop Talking! And Other Things My Kids Want But Won't Be Getting
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • The Onion Book of Known Knowledge: Mankind's Final Encyclopedia From America's Finest News Source
  • My Family and Other Hazards: A Memoir
  • The Best of Miranda
  • Murder on the Home Front: A True Story of Morgues, Murderers, and Mysteries During the London Blitz
  • Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books
  • Love's Promises: How Formal and Informal Contracts Shape All Kinds of Families
  • Inconvenient People: Lunacy, Liberty and the Mad-Doctors in Victorian England
  • The Wellness Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Your Guide to Getting Healthy and Improving Your Mood
  • 500 Acres and No Place to Hide: More Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl
20258
Lisa Scottoline is the New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 28 novels, including her latest, ONE PERFECT LIE, which releases in April 2017. Her previous emotional thriller, MOST WANTED, has been optioned for a TV series. Lisa also co-authors a bestselling series of humorous memoir with her daughter, Francesca Serritella, which is based on their weekly Philadelphia In ...more
More about Lisa Scottoline...

The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman
  • My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman
  • Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter
  • Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim
  • Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?: True Stories and Confessions
  • I've Got Sand In All the Wrong Places
  • I Need a Lifeguard Everywhere But the Pool
  • Truly Funny Stories Vol. 1: Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog and My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space
  • Truly Funny Stories Vol. 2: Best Friends, Occasional Enemies and Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim
  • Truly Funny Stories Vol. 3: Have a Nice Guilt Trip and Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?

“I learned that protecting someone by keeping him away from me doesn't shelter either of us. I learned that feeling other people's feelings for them doesn't bring us closer, it only separates me from myself and my needs. I always thought being codependent meant being too emotionally glued to someone; I didn't realize the way I was doing it was setting me adrift.” 1 likes