Start by marking “Cinderella's Dress (Cinderella's Dress, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinderella's Dress (Cinderella's Dress, #1)

Cinderella's Dress

(Fairy-tale Inheritance Series #1)

Being a teenager during World War II is tough. Finding out you're the next keeper of the real Cinderella's dress is even tougher.

Published June 3rd 2014 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella's Dress, please sign up.
Ashley I give this book a 9. I read it in two days. I didn't want to put it down.

Shantelle
Cinderella’s Dress by Shonna Slayton was a sweet, fun, and unique story; it kept me turning pages! From the gorgeous cover, to the captivating era, to the charming characters, this novel had me intrigued. 4.5 stars!

Kate Allen is a teenage girl just trying to cope with her dad off in war and her ambitious mother trying to get her in a movie. She has a special, amber necklace given to her by her grandmother, but she never knew it had anything to do with the strange Polish couple who show up on h
megHan
I received a copy of this book from Entangled Teen (Entangled Publishing) in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I love historical fiction - there is just something amazing about reading stories based in a time before I was born. I am not, however, a fan of romance, but … mixed in with historical fiction, it has its place … and I actually enjoy it. This book – not just historical fiction, not just a clean romance, but Cinderella. You mention
Summer
*Thank you Entangled Publishing for providing me a copy for review.*

DNF at 75%.

Slayton's Cinderella's Dress is a lovely example of amazing concept, bad execution.

Go on, read the synopsis yourself. It's trivial how a book with so much promise can be so lacking. You have historical fiction, which I love, fairy tale elements, which I adore, and a hint of feminism. What's not to love?

Perhaps it was the high expectations I had going into Cinderella's Dress. However much I hate DNFing books I receive
Nasty Lady MJ
To see full review click on one of the following links:

My gosh darn blog

Or good golly my Booklikes page

Once upon a time, there was a reader who saw something that sparked her interest on Netgalley. The book had two things going for it. For one thing it was a historical set in World War II and for another thing it dealt with fairytales. Two things that should’ve made it a slam freaking dunk-ity doo. Unfortunately, this book was a clunker if there every was one and it turned the excited reader int
N.N. Light
I so wanted to love this book but the book turned out to be completely different from the premise. I thought I was getting a retelling of Cinderella but instead I got a confusing WWII historical romance. I think the author didn't know how to finish the story either. Disappointing.

My Rating: 3 stars
Aoife
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 25%
Look, if you want to use a language you know nothing about in your book you can at least copy paste your Google Translate correctly and spare us sentences like "How was szkota, school?"
The world you are looking for is szkoła.
Szkota is the genitive of Szkot, Scotsman.

An siostrzany means sisterly, not sister.
Hannah Rodes
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cinderella’s Dress by Shonna Slayton

Kate is just a normal girl wanting to work with window designs. She loves how they work their magic, and wants to help design. Too bad her mom doesn’t feel the same way, she wants Kate to work as a model. One day an old couple arrive at their doorstep lugging a large hope chest. That supposedly holds the real Cinderella’s dress, and on top of that Kate is to be the new “Keeper of Wardrobe.”

With her brother, father and sweetheart at war she is left to unrav
Ruth Turner
May 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned

DNF

What made me think that I wanted to read this book?

It's not something I'd usually read, but I loved the cover, and the fact that it takes place during WWII. Probably not good enough reasons now I come to think of it. But I have been known to buy bottles of wine because I liked the label, and that hasn't always turned out to be a wise choice either.

I still love the cover but the only reason I know it’s set during WWII is because I was told so. It certainly didn't feel like it.

Flat characters,
Aneta Bak
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Cinderella's Dress is a beautiful tale that makes you feel like a kid again.

As soon as I read the synopsis, I knew I had to read this book. It's like it was made for me. Not only is it set in the 1940's but the characters are Polish. And who doesn't love Cinderella! Right?

The book was not what I expected, but it was still amazing and I must say that I loved it.

The setting of this story is what I loved the most about it. Which is something I'm not used to, since I usually care about the characte
Kitty Bucholtz
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! The prologue pulled me in, and the unusual time and place of the story (a Cinderella book set in 1940s New York City?) made me want to know what happens next. The characters were interesting and real enough that sometimes I was ticked off at them. Then I would remind myself the main character is a teenage girl - acting like a teenage girl! Haha! I loved the best friend and the love interest, and I loved how Aunt Elsie was portrayed. And then the magic of the dress! Ye ...more
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
More reviews on my blog, Exploring Pages.
"That shoe was brand-new!" Kate felt her eyes tear up. The shoes weren't even hers-she hadn't earned them. She blinked rapidly. With made-up eyes, she had to be careful, or all that mascara would run down her face."
- Shonna Slayton, Cinderella's Dress

Thank you Entangled Teen for providing me with an advanced reading copy for review.

I am being absolutely honest here when I say that I wanted Cinderella's Dress to turn out differently. It's not like I had hi
Emily Bradley-dorman
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think the first thing that needs to be said about this book that it's NOT a fairytale retelling. It takes the magic of one of our favourite stories, picking out aspects and used to tell an entirely different tale that is, all in all, charming and captivating. It's a slow paced book that lets you saunter through it's pages as you take in the intelligent and, quite frankly, adorable characters and plot lines.

The story itself follows Kate as she tries to follow her dream of creating window displa
Jenea
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it

There are a lot retellings being published, and this is a Cinderella one. The cover is gorgeous, even though this was a little different than I expected, it turned out to be a pretty good read. Kate is a pretty spunky girl, who wants to be part of the team that helps with the display window. This is a job that has always been done by men, and where she meets Johnny, the future love interest. She somehow does manage to get a part in the decorating of the window, but also discovers that her famil
Megan
Cinderella's Dress was a unique take on the story of Cinderella. I love how it's sort of about the descendants of both Cinderella and the stepsisters, but mostly how it focuses on the Keeper of the dress. One of my favorite time periods for novels is WWII, so I loved that this book was set during that time. I didn't realize before I read this book that it was a series, so that alone changed my rating because this book had a cliffhanger ending and when I thought it was a standalone I didn't like ...more
Vanessa
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
With dystopia taking up space in the bookstores for me to find a young adult historical was almost a needle in a haystack. I found this book on the publishers website, and I knew I had to buy it right away. My feelings for the book was simple I LOVE THIS BOOK! I especially love the fiction storytelling! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Izzy
*****I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*****

Katherine (Kate) Allen is a teenage model of polish descent living in New York City, during the WWII in spring 1944. We start off as Kate, due to her pushy mother, attempts in vain to grab into the acting realm.
While auditioning for a part in a movieeeee.......which goes disastrously might I add *snickers* XDD she meets a handsome young lad with gorgeous blue eyes! *swoons* I luuuvvv blue eyesss *fans face* An
Lynndell
Magical historical fiction!
Cinderella is the Queen and is in possession of the dress that holds magic. Her stepsisters have married into a rival kingdom and Cinderella sends her most trusted servant on a mission to protect the dress. Time moves forward to the servant’s descendant granddaughter during World War II, Kate Allen. Kate Allen lives with her brother Floyd and their mother. Mr. Allen is in Europe, during the war, protecting art. Floyd joins up and goes to basic training and eventually o
Kayla
Just in skimming over the Goodreads page of reviews for this book, I can see that it's one people either utterly hate or love. I'm DNFing this book at 202 pages because I realized that there's a second book in this possible series, nothing is happening, and apparently no new information about these Cinderella dresses is going to be shown in the next 100 pages. I'm determined to spend 2016 reading as many amazing books as possible--books that I don't feel like I'm trudging through or skimming ove ...more
Lilian
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Cinderella's Dress by Shonna Slayton is a YA fairy-tale retelling set in 1940's New York.
Being a teen-ager during World War II is tough. Finding out you're the next keeper of the real Cinderella's dress is even tougher.
Kate simply wants to create window displays at the department store where she's working, trying to help out with the war effort. But when long-lost relatives from Poland arrive with a steamer trunk they claim holds the Cinderella's dress, life gets complicated.
Now, with a father m
Mel
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Edit: WHY is there a second one? There is in no way a need for a continuation this was perfect as a standalone.

I find my thoughts on this book are really hard to put into words. On one hand, I actually enjoyed this book, and on the other hand, it was only okay. This book is about a family that are the Keepers of the 3 dresses belonging to Cinderella. That alone is an AMAZING plot. However, much of the book doesn't really focus on that. I barely know anything about their family, the dresses, or
Carissa
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reviews
A Fairy tale retelling of Cinderella but with a Twist it focuses on the dresses and the family who was assigned to protect it. It's set during WWII and Kate is just a typical girl living on the American home front when relatives arrive after escaping Europe with Cinderella's dress or so her great aunt claims. It was a sweet story complete with a prince charming.

Title: Cinderella’s Dress

Author: Shonna Slayton

Chapters: 41

Pages: 322

Genre: teen historical fiction fairy tale retold

Rating: 4 stars

Cin
Natalie
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book took quite a while to get moving and was fairly repetitive in the beginning, but once it picked up (just after the 50% mark) it was really enjoyable.

This is not a fairytale retelling - rather it takes the idea that Cinderella was a real person and a special group of people keep her dress safe from the descendants of the wicked stepsisters. It is set in 1940s New York so it was fairly modern whereas I was expecting a fantasy Cinderella retelling.

Kate was a pretty good main character b
Laura Stoddard
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am always SO happy to come across an original story line. No vampires. No angsty, snobby teenage cliques. So two thumbs up right there! It's a historical fiction with a little bit of fantasy woven in. Shonna, it all wrapped up a little too soon for me at the end, but I REALLY enjoyed it and will be recommending it to many. Nicely done!!
Deborah
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
So beautifully written!! This was totally not what I was expecting. It took the first hundred pages for me to understand what was happening and to get into it, but after that, it flowed quite nicely. Not a Cinderella retelling, but a great add-on to the Cinderella story.
Cait
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hope this becomes a series, if for no other purpose than to find out what happened to the shoes and Kate's dad. Plus, there's just so much to explore when it comes to her responsibility to care for fairytale artifacts.
Noella James
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
It was...good. A mix of fairytale and life at home during WWII. Definitely something I would read a second time.
Cyndel Schafer
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really loved this book. This is the first of its kind that I have read and really enjoyed every minute of it.
Shelleen Toland
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fun and quick read. Hard to put down.
Kirby
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I honestly think that the story of Cinderella is probably one of the most loved and shared fairy tales of all time. It's one of those classic tales that most people are familiar with, and most little girl's dreamed about during their childhood. Cinderella retellings have also become quite popular, especially in the YA genre, and I've had the opportunity to read quite a few. However, I was pleasantly surprised with just how unique Shonna Slayton's beautiful story was, and it really was unlike any ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Golden Daughter (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #7)
  • I'm Not Cinderella
  • The Stepsister's Tale
  • The Remedy (Eyes of E'veria, #2)
  • Moonlight and Ashes
  • Ella
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Love Me Tender
  • The Fallen Prince (Keepers of Life, #2)
  • How a Star Falls
  • Hans Christian Andersen: Best Loved Fairy Tales
  • What Is Hidden (What Is Hidden, #1)
  • Maggie's Dare: The Great Awakening
  • A Dream Not Imagined
  • The Word Changers
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
SHONNA SLAYTON writes historical fairy tales and is the co-creator of the Fairy-tale Forum Facebook group.

She finds inspiration in reading vintage diaries written by teens, who despite using different slang, sound a lot like teenagers today. When not writing, Shonna enjoys amaretto lattes and spending time with her husband and children in Arizona.

Join her email list and receive a free story as a

Fairy-tale Inheritance Series (4 books)
  • Cinderella's Legacy (Fairy-tale Inheritance Series Book 0.5)
  • Cinderella's Shoes (Fairy-tale Inheritance Series Book 2)
  • Snow White's Mirror (Fairy-tale Inheritance Series Book 3)