Start by marking “Summer of Yesterday” as Want to Read:
Summer of Yesterday

Summer of Yesterday

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  530 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Back to the Future meets Fast Times at Ridgemont High when Haley’s summer vacation takes a turn for the retro in this totally rad romantic fantasy.

Summer officially sucks. Thanks to a stupid seizure she had a few months earlier, Haley’s stuck going on vacation with her dad and his new family to Disney’s Fort Wilderness instead of enjoying the last session of summer camp ba
ebook
Published June 17th 2014 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Yesterday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Yesterday

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss.)

17-year-old Haley isn’t overly impressed that she has to spend a week at Disney World with her father and step-mother, but is even more surprised when she discovers an abandoned water park called River Country, and is sucked 32 years into the past.

What is the mystery surrounding River Country? And will Haley ever get home again?

This was an interesting time-travel stor
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
2.5

Let's just say I'm an extremely mellow sort of person, who sometimes caves in to her urges to whine. (It's out of my hands people, but even so, I try to fight nature because honestly why not?) I have a high capacity for what kinds of crap I'll take from my protagonists. Characters you probably hate because they annoy the fuck out of you are like a bare, minimal level of annoyance to me because I am zen.

Calm.

Collected.

If I, like you probably do, feel like poking out my own, or perhaps the pro
Noella
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Haley is not looking forward to spending time with her father and her stepmom at Disney Fort Wilderness when she'd much rather spend summer with her friends back in her hometown Jupiter. Her father and stepmom decide to keep a close eye on her after Haley had a seizure a few months earlier. One night Haley goes on a scavenger hunt with some new friends in the abondoned River Country waterpark, experiences her second seizure and when she gains consciousness she realises she's been transported 30i ...more
Fani
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, ya

I love this story so much!!! The plot of this book was very promising so i was expecting to like it but i never imagined that i would end up loving it .
Reading this story has made me feel so many emotions at once and the ending brought tears to my eyes. This book was the perfect summer read for me!
Kim Smiley
I didn't know what I was getting into with this book, but I liked it!

Haley is being practically dragged to Disney AGAIN. She's 17 and goes between her mom and dad's houses, being they're divorced. Now her Dad, his new wife Alicia and their 4 yr. old twins are headed to Disney, to stay in a cabin for the next week. And Haley is being a brat because she wanted to stay home at her mom's and be with her friends for the summer, and to go to summer camp.

But her first night there, she meets some kids,
Jennie Machines
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disney
This story starts off with a very disgruntled young girl (Haley) who is forced on a family vacation to Disney with her father and step family. Being pulled away from her friends for the rest of summer because of a seizure she had earlier, she makes her feelings very clear. Right after her big blow up at Fort Wilderness, she runs into some teens that invite her to their campfire that night. Twisting her dad's arm into letting her go, she shows up just in time for small group's annual summer scave ...more
Abbie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review.)

Summer of Yesterday was a nice quick read.

Finding out about River Country was really interesting, as i had never heard about it until a few days ago when a friend read this.

Haley annoyed me at first.
I understand that she hated splitting her time between both parents, and she was annoyed about leaving her friends... but her constant whining was getting on my nerves.

When she found out she was in the past, i thought she took it w
Laura Abascal
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say, I LOVE THIS BOOK!! It was a fun, easy read, full of the magic and fantasy we've all come to love about Disney, and of course, about books. One of the things I loved about this book was the very real ending compared to the fantasy factor so heavily portrayed. A quick and lovely read, it kept me up until I finished it, and in a complete puddle of happy/sad/pleased tears. If you've started to forget about the magic Disney has instilled in this world, but can't afford the trip, t ...more
Brittany
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book. Sad end.

I liked the premise of this book, and the chracaters and the romance, but I was hoping for so much more from the end. Why does someone always have to make the hard choice, the sacrifice? Why can't it ever be simple?

Because life isn't simple or easy. It's a hard truth. I really wanted so much more for Haley and Jason.

I feel sort of lost and alone now because I feel for the chracaters. Gaby Triana wrote a very interesting book. I think I'll check out more of her stuff.

4 stars.
Kathylill
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Back to the Future
That was so so sweet, and cute and kind of magical, too ... The perfect YA summer romance with a bittersweet ending for everybody who likes light but well written YA novels without any slutshaming, stalking, pseudo-mysterious creeps, love triangles or know-it-all Mary Sues.

Absolutely loved the romance and the 1982/Disney World setting. I so can see this made into a movie and crying a river at the end. *sniffle*

Review to come sooner to release date as I totally forgot to take notes. I am so goin
Toni Vincett
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book. I fell in love with the story so much. Defo be reading this again sometime
Justine
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This was SO CUTE!!!!
Natalie
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book set in Fort Wilderness and River Country in 1982's Walt Disney World... how could I resist?

"Summer of Yesterday" is a teenage romance, plain and simple. There are teenagers and they are hot for one another. The twist to this one is the time travel -- okay, that's fine -- and the location. Time travel usually involves big tumultuous events. Wars, almost always. Floods. Hurricanes. Earthquakes. Loss.

Well, if you ever spent an idyllic afternoon in the pea-green waters of Walt Disney World's
Estelle
Had a blast reading Summer of Yesterday!

4 stars for all the 1980s Disney Park references. This would make any geek happy, and anyone who wants to learn a little bit more about theme park history. (You can tell the author is invested.)

3.75 stars for the story. I needed a bit more at the end, and would have loved a bit more attention and closure to the parents/divorce storyline. All in all, the time travel worked well for me, and I thought the dialogue was spot on in present day and 1982.

Full revi
grieshaber_reads
I love reading a book that is set in a location where I will be vacationing. Several months ago, when I read a review of Summer of Yesterday, I knew I had to buy it for my June trip to Disney World. We would be staying at Disney’s campground, Fort Wilderness, which is where this book takes place. How fun is that?? I was having way too much fun in Disney World to read a book, so I started it the night we left. This was perfect as I was able to relive my Fort Wilderness experiences.

The story is cu
Aellai
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leer en español
Okay, so this is not the typical love story with a nice happy ending, oh no.
Let's begin with this amazing funny girl called Haley who is going to spend a week of her summer in Disney. Who doesn't love that? Disney is awesome, but she's mad because she will loose a week of fun with her classmates in her summer camp. Anyway, Haley is decided to have a little fun and explore a bit of what her dad used to love when he went there 30 years ago: River Country, which is now closed. After
Suze Lavender
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After having a seizure Hayley now has to spend the summer with her dad instead of at a summer camp with her friends. She isn't happy about this and thinks her summer at Disney's Fort Wilderness is going to be awful. Fortunately Hayley finds some new friends and while she's taking part in a scavenger hunt she breaks into an old water park named River Country. There she has another seizure, one that takes her back in time, to 1982.

Hayley goes back to a time and place where her parents are still t
Mehsi
This was one very fun and lovely book.

The setting was really interesting and was one of the main reasons why I wanted to read it. A seizure that takes you back years in the past, back to a past where you will meet your one true love?
I normally am a fan of time travel, but I haven't read any books about time travel per seizure. So +star for originality.

Our main character Haley is a really cute character, though at times I wasn't sure of her age. At times she behaved older, but at other times y
Kristine
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from Simon Pulse via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. The expected publication date is June 17, 2014.

Summer of Yesterday is a cute and easy summer read for fans of YA. With a bit of time travel and romance it is sure to appeal to a great number of people.

For me, the setting was the best part of the entire story. I love Disney World and I had no idea that there was o
Lilysbookblog
I think i'm growing up. Usually i tend to love must contemporaries I read and tend to be very forgiving when it comes to this sort of genre. But lately i'm noticing that i'm getting pickier and pickier with my book choices, especially contemporaries. I think i'm really looking for more books with serouis themes in them. That isn't to say a fluffy book isn't enjoyable every once in a while.That being said I actually quite enjoyed Summer of Yesterday, it was very much on the lighter side of the YA ...more
Jodi
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess that Gaby Triana is one of my favorite contemporary YA writers, and I was psyched to get the brand-new Summer of Yesterday. I read it in one sitting (stayed up until 1am reading) and was sorry to see the story end!

Summer of Yesterday is a fun, fluffy time-travel novel that takes place at the Happiest Place on Earth, Walt Disney World. Protagonist Haley Petersen is on a forced vacation to Fort Wilderness with her Dad and his new family (stepmom and twin toddler step-siblings) w
April
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At first, I really didn't like the protagonist, Haley, because she seemed very immature and selfish. I was actually thinking to myself, during the first two or three chapters, "Man, this might be a 3 star book." I didn't want to rate it so low, but it did not get off to a promising beginning.

However, by the time that Haley falls back through time, she seems to change a fair bit. She appeared to mature in some undefined way once she left her dad back in 2014 and went back to 1982; it was a little
XxForeverXx_XSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of time travel/summer romances.
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by: Goodreads.com, public library.
Wow, I haven't read a book like this in a long, long time. It was just plain amazing and magical. I loved every bit of it and I can't tell you how good it is. The plot and the characters were both fantastic. It may have been a short book, but a lot of had happened. There was time travel romance, love, funny bits and a lot stuff the 80's. Which taught me lot that I didn't know if a cute and quirky way. Anyway, this is a book you don't always find and read everyday. It's special just like the rela ...more
Ashley
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars, 2014, library
This book was hard to read. I almost gave up after the first quarter, because the main character annoyed me so much. She was 17, but whined like she was 12. I didn't like her at all. Luckily, the time-travel happened around then, so I forged on, simply to see how the 80s were treated. Meh. Aside from a few pop-cultural references ("Have you ever heard of Duran Duran???" LOL so 80s), it was pretty much reduced to "look how weird their clothes and hair are!!!" By then I plodded on simply because I ...more
Erika Meyer
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I rated this novel 5 out of 5 because, for me, a Disney freak, any time I find a book set in Walt Disney World (or even Disneyland for that matter), I am satisfied. However, it wasn’t just the Disney setting that was satisfying about this novel, the story wound up being just as magical.

I never got to see River Country but I have always been intrigued, and slightly creeped out, about the fact that, even though it’s closed, it’s still just sitting there on the property, untouched albeit overgrown.
Taylor Knight
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with the cover of this book but I wasn't really into the concept. I feel like time travel is extremely hard to write in a way that doesn't seem over the top and stupid.
But the cover sold me completely so I thought I'd give it a go.

Only a couple of pages into Summer of Yesterday, I felt like I had already read it. It seemed very familiar. Summer of Yesterday is a lot like My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris (which I love). Both have a bratty teenage girl that's force
Elizabeth K.
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Elizabeth by: SLJ Summer Reading List - honestly, this sound bizarre but I remember that part of Disney very vividly so how can I NOT read this?
Shelves: 2014-new-reads
All right, let's be upfront here and say that my five stars for this book are essentially for my absolute unmitigated DELIGHT that someone wrote a YA book that takes place in River Country, the (now closed) water park attached to the Fort Wilderness camp gound at Walt Disney World.

I should probably say what the book is about before going on with my ranting about River Country. A teenage girl goes back in time, to the 1980s, and ends up at River Country, where she meets a cute boy. That was all
Curtis Sponsler
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how this book reminds of my years spent at this wondrous place - River Country. Summer of Yesterday is a delightful "Back to the Future" and "Wizard of Oz" style story that will give you warm-fuzzies, make you giggle at Haley's predicament, and long for her elusive love.

It's a simple story of our most basic desire - to return back home. Haley is a teen girl struggling with her troubled home, wishing for something more, something to uplift her, to bring her a normal life. Like Marty McFly
Trisha
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! What a great story. I went into it without reading a synopsis or even getting the book - Pulseit optioned it as a free read so I did.

What a treasure.

Haley is taken on a "family vacation" she wants nothing to do with. Divorced parents means they each try to out-do each other in the perfect family vacations. Haley is old enough she just wants to go to camp with everyone else and have a lazy summer and try to have a "fling" with her long time male friend.

But her dad has other ideas and dr
Gayatri
I really liked this book. It was bittersweet but, it showed me that happy endings to love stories don't always matter. It is also what you learn during that time when you fall in love. The realisation that what you have is not so bad and you just have to open your mind to different things. I think that was what Haley had to deal with. She started off extremely self centred and annoyed, just a typical teenage girl, wanting to have fun with her friends. No interest in disney world where she was go ...more
Young Adult Book ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Summer of Yesterday (April 2016) 1 7 Mar 31, 2016 08:34AM
  • Random
  • Only Everything (True Love, #1)
  • Year of Mistaken Discoveries
  • Blow on a Dead Man's Embers
  • Sweet, Hereafter (Heaven, #3)
  • The Right and the Real
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • Servants of the Storm
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Love so Life, Vol. 11 (Love so Life, #11)
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Hung Up
  • Anywhere but Here
  • How to Win at High School
  • Who R U Really?
  • Noblesse: Season 3, Set
GABY TRIANA is the bestselling author of horror and YA novels, Island of Bones, Cakespell, Wake the Hollow, Summer of Yesterday, and many more, as well as 40+ ghostwritten novels for best-selling authors. Gaby has published with HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, and Entangled, won an IRA Teen Choice Award, ALA Best Paperback Award, and Hispanic Magazine’s Good Reads of 2008. She writes about gh ...more

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99