Start by marking “The Little Colonel at Boarding-School” as Want to Read:
The Little Colonel at Boarding-School

The Little Colonel at Boarding-School

(The Little Colonel #6)

When the Old Colonel becomes ill, the Little Colonel's parents must send her to boarding school. Merry times mix with lessons learned that were not in the school curriculum. Little Colonel fans will especially remember the Shadow Club and the story of the Three Weavers. This book was once considered so suggestive that many public libraries, including Pittsburgh and Boston, ...more
Published 1903 by The Page Company

Kathryn Bundy
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I read some Little Colonel books from my grandmother's shelf when I was a little girl. Now I own those volumes and decided to go back and reread this one. In the intervening 55+ years, I've done a great deal of reading and studying of history and wondered how this would strike me now.

All of these morality tales for girls are similar, and I ate them up when I was a kid. The girl is usually a little spunky, but ultimately a "good girl" who learns her lessons about obedience, kindness, and being a
Magda
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this recent purchase, although not as much as the earlier books in the series. Here Lloyd (and Betty) are exposed to the more "adult" side of things in terms of novels, disobedience, and (gasp) boys. I think a large part of my dissatisfaction with this particular book is the lack of parental guidance. There are no interested and kind adults who are actively watching out for their youngsters, helping them see why something wouldn't be for their benefit.

I do like when the parental guidan
Mazzou B
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Although not my favourite because girls at boarding school can be quite mischievous, I love all the books in this series and this one actually has a great moral to it. I would say it is the one in which Lloyd really grows up!
Also features the beloved ''Three Weavers'' tale.
CLM
Dec 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: schoolstory
Definitely my favorite of the Little Colonel books (which I mostly enjoy because of their mention in Betsy-Tacy).
Maria
Jul 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
It is dreadful. But I understand why a student finds it intersecting to research
Abigail
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i love this one, especially the tale of the three weavers. i could draw a comparison between lloyd's crush on ida and a situation some of my friends are in now, but nobody wants to hear it, betty.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
It starts out really slow, b/c it's reintroducing characters from previous books; but then it picks up, and it's a lovely story about school pranks and moralizing 'a la Little Women.' Delightful!
Sue
Jan 05, 2013
Beth
Jun 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Annie Fellows Johnston (1863-1931) was an American author of children's fiction who wrote the popular "Little Colonel" series, which was the basis for the 1935 Shirley Temple film The Little Colonel. She was born and grew up in McCutchanville, Indiana, a small unincorporated town near Evansville, Indiana.

The Little Colonel (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Little Colonel