Start by marking “Midwinter Magic (Nether-Netherland)” as Want to Read:
Midwinter Magic (Nether-Netherland)

Midwinter Magic

(Magic & Mayhem #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  153 ratings  ·  83 reviews
After an eye-opening congressional hearing, former corporate shark Jack Morgan redirects his ill-gotten gains toward charity work. However, his attempts to bring holiday cheer to a Bolivian village meet with one disaster after another: canceled flights, crumbling luggage, implacable customs officials. His plans disintegrate further when he runs into a sexy tourist with . . ...more
Published December 1st 2013 by Intrepid Reads

To ask other readers questions about Midwinter Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwinter Magic

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Midwinter Magic (Nether-Netherland)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Ugh, I was so done with this trilogy by the time Smitten by Magic ended. I barely made it though.

I think that, individually, the Magic & Mayhem books are cute, but all together... whew, they grated on me.

First of all, I was beyond creeped out that the female MC has watched over the male MC since he was a baby, and then fell in love with him. And I mean, watched every interaction. It felt very creepy-stalker, and I know it was her job, but STILL.

The world-building was a total afterthought. I kn
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 stars. Cute story! This was a fun, sexy, magical holiday novella about a guardian angel, Sarah, falling for her human Jack Morgan.

Jack shed his corporate cutthroat life of greed and power, and is now focused on spending his time and fortune to help make the world a better place. His latest adventure is to help a poor village in Bolivia, but his trip from Los Angeles to South America is riddled with strange obstacles.

Sarah has been watching over humans for over a millennium, but Jack may be
willaful
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christmas novellas
This is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the blurb: a cute, sentimental Christmas novella, though perhaps a tad spicier than you'd normally expect when you have a heroine who's an guardian angel. Angels don't seem to be specifically religious in this world though, but part of a large, painfully bureaucratic organization of all kinds of mythical beings. (Nether-Netherland.)

The world-building seems more for giggles than anything else, and I found it a little icky that Sarah (last name P
K.S. Marsden
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah has been a guardian angel for centuries, and none of her charges have given her half as much trouble as Jack.

I received a free copy as part of the Magic & Mayhem boxset, from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jack was a go-getting businessman, he worked tirelessly and has amassed a fortune by taking advantage of a grey area that's not-quite-illegal.
Jack decides to atone for all the damage he's done by giving away most of his money to charity, and using the rest to fund repairs in
Claire Robinson
3 Stars.

This is my second seasonal offering from Erica Ridley, Let It Snow being the first, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Midwinter magic is completely different in that it is fully based in present day, and there are no frozen cursed castles or Princesses in it!

I have to say I am a sucker for angels, in whatever shape or form, good bad, fallen or guardian, I generally enjoy anything I read that has one (or more) in it. This book is certainly a box ticker in that it contains all of the necessary i
Janet
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Former corporate shark Javier Rodriguez plans to redirect his money and attention toward family and good works. Unfortunately, his attempts to make things better meet with one disaster after another. His plans disintegrate further when he runs into a sexy tourist with... wings?
As Javi’s guardian angel, Sarah Phimm has her work cut out for her. When his latest charitable scheme risks his life, she's forced to reveal her existence.
Another well written page turning book. The story flowed well & the
Isa Lavinia

I received a copy of this book from Intrepid Reads through Netgalley

Sarah Phimm is a guardian angel with a very difficult assignment: to guard Jack Morgan.

Ever since he discovered his life as a corporate shark had made him the indirect source of a lot of misery, Jack is determined to right every wrong he can for as long as he lives. So he marches into third-world countries distributing medicine, building schools, repairing houses, and generally placing himself in mortal danger at least 5 ti
Julie
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Midwinter Magic by Erica Ridley originally appeared in the holiday novella collection Tis the Season. You may now purchase this book as a stand alone in the Amazon kindle store.
I was provided a copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Midwinter Magic by Erica Ridley is a fantasy novella.

Jack Morgan was once on the Fortune 500 list. But, those days are long gone. Now he is more or less a wanderer. At the moment he is in Bolivia. Instead of limos and pri
AnnMarie
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smitten by Magic is the third and final book in the Magic & Mayhem series by Erica Ridley.

Javier Rodriguez was a corporate businessman until he made a huge amount of money at the expense of other people. Rather than be thrilled like his colleagues at a legal loophole that allowed them to get that money and keep it, he is horrified. Jaded at what he has become, Javier decides to make good use of the money by helping people in need with it. His current quest is to help a poor village in Bolivia.
Lori D
An adventure featuring a guardian angel, Sarah, having watched over Javier all his life is desperate to keep him safe. When Jack goes to Bolivia to help the less fortunate, Sarah has to come to earth and help him so he will come to no harm.
Such a magical story that will take you to another land with these two who find that and angel and a human can definitely work together and as they do, they find a strong attraction. But can she stay with Jack? Just as the other two stories in this series, I l
Dianne
Can forbidden love conquer all, including the angel council and its unions? Midwinter Magic by Erica Ridley is a tale of a corporate big shot Jack Morgan, who was forced to re-evaluate his life, his money and the path he had chosen. Along for the ride his entire life, secretly watching over him was his guardian angel, Sarah Phimm, a perky and quirky angel who takes her job seriously, so when Jack becomes a beacon of good will and charity, undertaking humanitarian work in Bolivia, Sarah has her w ...more
Cyliena
Smitten by Magic
Sarah Phimm is Javier’s guardian angel. She’s been there since the day he was born, and he was blissfully unaware of it—until now. Forced to reveal herself, Sarah struggles to do her job by keeping Javier alive as he battles his conscious by performing risky good deed after risky good deed. The setting lost me mid-story though: where did that hardware store come from in the middle of nowhere? Why did Javier have cell phone service? Little details like that detracted from the
Peggy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Javier Rodriguez, formerly ruthless businessman, is determined to make up for his wicked past by helping others, starting with a village in Bolivia. Things are not working out as he planned. His trip from Malibu to Santita has been miserable. At each juncture, another obstacle – delayed flights, diverted flights, broken (destroyed) luggage, and the list goes on. Sarah Phimm is a guardian angel, his guardian angel. It is her responsibility to keep him safe. She doesn’t just take her job seriously ...more
Brigitte
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was smitten with this charming and magical tale.

Javier is a business mogul. Instead of spending his time running a successful business, he is determined to give up the life that he knows and put all his efforts into helping others.

Sarah is a Guardian Angel who follows the rules. She loves her job, but has secretly pined for Javier. Revealing herself would be against the rules. Whilst planning one of his benevolent undertaking, Javier is hit by several inconvenient and disastrous setbacks. He c
Lorena
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This romantic fantasy is a little over-the-top at times, but it generally balances a tender romance with witty banter and moments of suspense. The main characters can be a bit obsessive, but also charming and funny. It took me a little while to get drawn into the story and warm up to Javier and Sarah, but as the story progressed, I enjoyed their exchanges and was hoping they could find a happy ending together.

I liked the way the plot surprised me. For such a quick read, this book packs in a lot
Elodie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in this revised series by Erica Ridley, each with a different setting and different protagonists from the Nether-Netherland universe.
Javier after a huge epiphany, has decided his way of life has to change. He since, tries to redeem himself for what he thinks is his unforgivable faults. By doing it, he endangers his own life and his guardian angel can’t accept it.
Sarah has spent her whole existence taking care of one charge after another. And Javi is one hell of an assignme
Bernadette
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun story about being an angel. Whether you are a guardian angel, or a mortal angel, you are important.
Both main characters are angels in their own way and both have had their eyes opened to their own imperfections.
Javier has been a corporate giant, riding on the lives of others and now he is trying to change that. He is spending his time helping those he has previously ignored. Sarah is supposed to help keep him safe and stay invisible, but she breaks the guardian angel rules and f
wonderfullyweird88
This book is set in the same universe as the second in the series Nether-Netherland and features some of the same secondary characters, but it can be read as a standalone.

Sarah has been Javi's guardian since the day he was born. With him for every moment of his life.  A lapse in concentration allows Javi to discover Sarah's existence. to keep him safe, she is forced to help him as he risks his life to bring Christmas to an impoverished village.

Of the three books in the series, this is the book I
Cas H.
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the last and final book of the trilogy, we meet Javier Rodriguez. He is a former corporate businessman who wants to do all he can to forget what big corporations can do do people and to the environment. He did not realize all the harm that was caused, and now he is working very hard to undo as much suffering as possible. Sarah Phimm is his guardian angel and has a lot of guarding to do.
When Javier decides to go to third world countries, she must protect him at all costs.
Unfortunately, when
Kaye
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ONE WONDERFUL DELIGHT!!!
Roughing it! Erica spins another refreshing storyline and exciting plot with a multitude of twists that keep you on your toes. This baby hooks you from the start and reels you in for the duration. Dealing with the trials and tribulations struggling with all the drama and suspense that hurls this baby to life fluidly. A swirling throng of vexing contingents and a bevy of surprising events launch those swirling emotions bursting into play. Throw in a little intrigue and mys
Emma
Jul 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A charming short story of a guardian angel Sarah and her charge Javier. The story lightly covers his life as a corporate raider and now with a reformed conscious he wants to do good for others. Sarah's objective is to keep him alive at all costs till it is his time to go. He went to Bolivia for sentimental reasons providing supplies where needed. On his way to a remote village he accidentally met his guardian angel Sarah. She did not reveal herself as an angel just a fellow traveler. They worked ...more
The Mysterious Reader
I just completed a binge-fest of Erica Ridley’s Magic & Mayhem books, reading Must Love Magic (Book 2) and Smitten by Magic (Book 3) in one (long) sitting. I couldn’t help it. The books were just too addictive and I felt compelled to just read “one more page” until many hours later I finally ran out of pages. Different couples in each book bit the magical connection is as strong as the truly excellent romantic tie in each. They’re skid, quite frankly, tremendously fun. Well-written and filled wi ...more
Melindeeloo
Guardian Angel Sarah has just one job, keep Javier safe until he's 70. But the new leaf that has Javier jaunting off to the most dangerous and impoverished of places is making Sarah's job hard. And it is even harder when the normally invisible Sarah slips and lets Javier see her and finally get a chance to actually interact with the man she admires.

I thought that this was cute. Javier is working off a debt of conscience by trying to make as many lives better as he can to make up for years of co
Birgit
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely story! Jack, former CEO with no regards of the repercussions of his actions, turns completely around and tries to do good with his money by bringing holiday cheer to children in Bolivia, in the most remote areas. Sarah, his guardian angel, is desperately trying at the same time to keep him out of harm's way. When an accident forces her to become visible to him, sparks begin to fly between them.
A very different approach on guardian angels and their - erm- organisation and rules, and
Vania Nunes
Sarah is a guardian angel, and Javier proves to be her most difficult mission.
Knowing him from birth, Sarah knows what Javier is capable of... and let's say, for much of his life he has done his best and impossible to achieve his goals. Until he did it.
Now, with a kind of weight in his conscience, he decides to donate much of his fortune, and one of his goals is to do a good deed in the land of his ancestors.
Traveling to Bolivia is a scary adventure, and Sarah has to reveal who she really is.

But
Pontiki
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Javier is a business mogul gone do gooder. He wants to make reparations for all the devastation his business decisions have cost others. So, he returns to his home land of Bolivia and works tirelessly to help people.

Unbeknownst to him, Sarah, his guardian angel, has tried to prevent him from going to Bolivia to protect him. She’s trying to keep him alive to age 70, so he can do all he’s supposed to.

By accident, they meet, she helps him, both miraculously and humanly, and they fall in love. She
Nancy Ku
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smitten by Magic (Magic & Mayhem Book 3) by Erica Ridley ... I think this was my favorite of the three MAGIC & MAYHEM books. Thanks to Erica Ridley for letting me preview this book. Javier Rodriguez (reformed corporate shark who wants to repair some wrongs) Sara Phimm (guardian angel who has her hands full trying to keep him safe) This story has laughs, tears, angst, warm feelings, view of hardships around the world and some steam all getting us to a very HEA.

Reasons I enjoyed this book:
Funny In
Diane
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, arc
I'm not usually a fan of this genre but Errica Ridley has me hooked on this series. In this third book Smitten by Magic a Guardian Angel is accidentally seen my her charge and after interacting together to help a small town in Bolivia they begin to fall in love.
While she might be HIS guardian Angel, he shows himself to be a human guardian angel to the residents of the village. As Christmas draws near he not only works to shore up the housing he plans to make sure everyone in the village has a go
Kristen Lewendon
His time as an unfeeling CEO has left Javi with a need to right his perceived wrongs. As his guardian angel, Sarah has been tasked with saving him from himself. Both Sarah and Javier are on journeys of self-discovery. Javier is on his intentionally, but Sarah stumbles into hers completely by accident, thanks to Javier. This quick read was a wildly careening emotional roller-coaster ride for me; from laughter to tears and back again. I loved this opportunity to celebrate a little bit of Christmas ...more
Juanita Martinez
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed reading this Book.
I normally don't read Fantasy Books, but I really enjoy reading Books by Erica Ridley so I gave this Book a try.

Sarah Phimm A Guardian Angel for a thousand years & has been with Javier Rodriguez a Former Corporate Shark since birth (35 years) who has set out to try to help all the Poor since the Government wasn't helping. He goes to Bolivia where his great grandparents were born.

Disaster after disaster he kept going while Sarah kept him safe.

The ending came at
« previous 1 3 next »

• Never Have I Ever With a Duke (The Spitfire Society #1)
  • The Gift of the Marquess (Love is All Around #2)
  • One Night of Temptation (Wicked Dukes Club #6)
  • The Red Hot Earl (Love is All Around #1)
  • Joy to the Duke (Love is All Around #3)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • One Night of Scandal (Wicked Dukes Club #4)
  • A Duke is Never Enough (The Spitfire Society #2)
  • One Night of Surrender (Wicked Dukes Club #2)
  • Highland Jewel (Royal Highlander, #2)
  • The Duke Is But a Dream (Debutante Diaries, #2)
  • A Duke Will Never Do (The Spitfire Society #3)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • Winter Wishes: A Regency Holiday Romance Anthology
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • The Highlander's Christmas Bride (Clan Kendrick, #2)
  • Hallows Gate
  • Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas (River Ranch, #3)
Get freebies and 99¢ deals at: https://ridley.vip

Erica Ridley is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of historical romance novels, including the upcoming THE DUKE HEIST, featuring the Wild Wynchesters. Why seduce a duke the normal way, when you can accidentally kidnap one in an elaborately planned heist?

In the 12 Dukes of Christmas series, enjoy witty, heartwarming Regency romps nes

Magic & Mayhem (3 books)
  • Kissed by Magic (Mayhem & Magic #1)
  • Must Love Magic (Magic & Mayhem #2)