Start by marking “Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright” as Want to Read:
Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright

Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright

When a peculiar young woman shows up at the Wesley House Bed and Breakfast with a battered suitcase and stories to tell, shipwright Sam Wesley isn’t sure if she’s incredibly imaginative or just plain delusional. He soon realizes that Marlena is like no other woman he has ever met. Her strange behavior and far-fetched tales of shipwrecks and survival are a fresh breeze in S ...more
Paperback, Second edition, 320 pages
Published October 4th 2013 by Straw Hill Publishing (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Uncharted, please sign up.
J.B. Chicoine In the early 2000s, with parts of the story going back to the late 1800s.

Start your review of Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright
Jennifer Moore
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up for research--I didn't read the blurb, and I thought it was historical. I was wrong about the genre, but I'm so glad I made that mistake. I LOVED it. Honestly, I've been thinking about the tight story and the complex characters for a week now.
I absolutely recommend it. The romance is lovely, but that wasn't my favorite thing about the book. It's told completely from the man's POV, and at first glance, he's super boring. but, you quickly realize he's got baggage, and a lack
Vicki
I am a little conflicted about this story. I liked it but didn't love it. It tells the story of a woman named Marlene who is a bit of an enigma to Sam Wesley and others at the the Wesley House Bed and Breakfast when she just suddenly shows up. She seems a bit odd and just "off" or something, but the one thing she has that really piques Sam's interest is stories to tell. Sam realizes that he is interested in her and so is Derek, and soon another man from one of her stories shows up and he wants t ...more
Shelly
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright” is formatted as a tale within a tale and the story within is captivating. I enjoyed this format because it shows life after the real adventure of “The Captain” and how his story is not the only one affected by his actions. This book directly addresses the way life is affected and perceived according to past events. The main character has lived his life as expected because of his relationship to a famous sea captain who had been lost at sea many years ago. He i ...more
Anne Gallagher
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if everything you’ve ever known in your life is taken away and the only thing that remains is a fantastical heart-wrenching story to show for it?

UNCHARTED: Story for a Shipwright is one of those books that you will think about for a long time afterward. J.B. Chicoine’s exciting debut novel about a boat builder in Maine who meets an exceptional woman will leave you breathless as you turn the pages.

Chicoine’s writing is superb, with lyrical prose that envelops you like morning f
Colleen
3.5

I first came across this book on a Goodreads list of books set in Maine. The setting and beautiful cover intrigued me, so I added it to my summer reading list.

The first 100 pages or so were rough. I obviously misinterpreted the description, because I was expecting a supernatural twist - time travel or something along those lines. I was a little befuddled about what direction the book was going. It didn't help that I was not immediately drawn to either main character. Sam was a little on the b
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very well done. This book is secular and out of my normal genre of reading, especially with the sexual references but I did not feel like this book was in any way 'steamy or erotic'. They were just 'experiences' that I felt were used appropriately for shaping the characters.

I really appreciated the POV being from a male though the story revolved more around the girl. The big reveal of Marlena history wasn't surprising but I wanted to know very much how Sam would respond. So while some things fel
Turk
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love a story within a story, especially when it weaves the 'what-if' question throughout the storyline. In Uncharted, imagination takes a wild ride from the ordinary, everyday pace to the unbelievable, from a believable setting to a place where intense struggle just to survive is the ordinary. I loved leaping from the Maine boatyard setting to a tropical island!

When the life journeys of two very different people cross paths--when ordinary collides with extraordinary--'what if' becomes ver
Laura Martone
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of many genres, I truly appreciated this story - at heart, literary fiction with elements of romance, adventure, history, and, yes, even feminism. The setting is vividly depicted, the characters (particularly Sam and Marlena) are carefully developed, and the plot is deliberately paced, unfolding in a natural, believable way. The central romance completely enthralled me - and yes, I'm always a sucker for both seafaring adventures and the story-within-a-story style of writing. So, I would ...more
C.A. Chicoine
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do I think? This book, "Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright", by J.B. Chicoine, was excellent! It held my interest, and I hungered for more ... anticipating where the story was going to take me next. Typically, I like to spread my reading over as long a period of time as I can ... reading a section or a chapter each night. However, I could NOT put this book down, particularly after Chapter 31, (of 41).

I'm still digesting the story ... particularly the ending. I'll add further notes at a late
Carol Cronin
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coastal-fiction
I was lucky to read an advance copy of this wonderful book and can highly recommend it to adventurers, armchair sailors, and romantics alike. Read my full review here:
Scott
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A richly told story by an author as dedicated to her craft as any you will find.
Marythios (AkaSusanne )
I really appreciated the POV being from Sam though the story revolved more around Marlena. The story reveal of Marlena's history wasn't that surprising. I wanted to know more about how Sam would respond to it. Some parts of the book was predictable. There was a story within a story with the histories of each family which made the story more interesting even though some of the story felt predictable the backstory keeps you turning the pages. It was an average read for me nothing real special.
Heidi
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: big-people-books
I actually got an ARC for this a long time ago, but couldn't figure out how to get it onto my kindle to read. Now, I am well versed in this and was finally able to read it. The concept seems to be pretty generic. However, the more you read, the more you realize how different the plot really is. I finally got into the story about halfway through. Also, I love stories about the ocean, especially Maine. I dream of visiting there someday.
Rhoda
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I generally do not like to read romance novels, this book is so good that I may change my mind.
Jessica
I thought this was a cute story, tho a little predictable. Overall, I liked it. A nice light, summer read. Made me wonder what it would be like to live as she did.
Gwendalina
Goodreads Librari...: Combine & cover please 3 149 Aug 27, 2012 05:00PM

• Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • The Sheik's Ruby
  • Lady Emma's Campaign
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • Holding the Fort (Fort Reno, #1)
  • Ransome's Quest (The Ransome Trilogy, #3)
  • Surrendered Hearts (Vermont Blessings, #2)
  • An Elegant Façade (Hawthorne House, #2)
  • Running Blind (Heroes for Hire, #3)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • The Princess Spy (Hagenheim, #5)
  • Vanishing Act
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
  • Tailspin (Mountain Cove #5)
  • Fractured Memory
  • No Place to Hide
  • Desert Secrets
J. B. Chicoine was born on Long Island, New York, and grew up in Amityville during the 1960s and 70s. She has lived in New Hampshire, Kansas City and Michigan. She enjoys setting her stories in New England.

She has been writing stories since she was a girl, but didn't complete a novel until she was nearly thirty. Since then, she has completed four more novels; UNCHARTED: Story for a Shipwright, SPI