Start by marking “The Google Resume: How to Prepare for a Career and Land a Job at Apple, Microsoft, Google, or any Top Tech Company” as Want to Read:

"The Google Résumé is a comprehensive guide to getting into the top tech companies. McDowell shows applicants how to create an effective résumé, how to prepare for interviews, how to negotiate an offer, and how to perform well on the job. This is truly the 'bible' of the tech hiring process." —Stephanie Jacobs, former recruiter, Google

"This book takes you behind the scenes

Published January 25th 2011 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about The Google Resume, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Google Resume

Start your review of The Google Resume: How to Prepare for a Career and Land a Job at Apple, Microsoft, Google, or any Top Tech Company
Rod Hilton
Not bad. Decent advice in here and good material, it gave me some insight into some "behind closed doors" aspects of Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon's hiring process. It was worth reading for someone interested in a job at one of these big companies.

I think overall the book skews more toward college students and recent graduates than folks like me who have been working in tech for a while. There were plenty of parts that I just skimmed because I felt like they didn't apply to me.

I felt like
Jacob
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Extremely fluffy. Some good content, but could've been 30 pages long, rather than 200. ...more
Sandhya Chandramohan
Gayle Laakmann McDowell is a household name in the world of Tech recruiting, an ex-Googler, Microsoftie and Appleite. This book is more of a companion book to her better known book "Cracking the Coding interview" and gives every aspiring Googler/Microsoftie/Appleite an inside look into what life is like at one of the Big 5, how their recruiting process works, how to approach each stage of it and general career advice to top it all. A valuable resource for every engineer looking for a career chan ...more
Dale
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
When I opened this book I assumed that my reaction to it would be somewhere in the spectrum from 'meh - another useless would-be advice book', to 'I hate this and everything about it'. I thought the latter was a possibility because in the blurb photo the author looks like an earnest Young Republican (not a good thing in my world), and early in the book we learn that she comes from a wealthy family: 1/3 of her high school classmates went on to ivy league schools; her mother is a CEO. In other wor ...more
Heather
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who hasn't gone through the technical interview process and wants a technical job - it's pretty accurate (and not just for the big name companies listed in the title).

For people who've been there, done that - it's a good refresher if you need it. I find it useful as a checklist of things to be on top of (the "must know" data structures, algorithms, concepts, etc.).

The website has alot of useful information as well (careercup.com), resume template and
Marjori Pomarole
A must read for anyone in the interviewing process. Already update my resume with her advices. Now I need to start reading her Cracking the Code book . Just wished it was on the Kindle :)
Bob Kozik
Nothing particularly special, these days you can get a lot of the information contained in the book free on the Internet, but in saying that, it's not all in one convenient place the way it is in this book. You'd have to really absorb yourself in a career forum like /r/cscareerquestions for weeks or months to really get the same level of knowledge of the process.

Another thing worth pointing out here is that paying somebody to write a resume is a real thing, and they already take into account a l
Alice
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
A quick read (if you don't stop and try to think out the sample interview questions / brainteasers). Gayle's writing style is clear and concise.

The advice for resumes, interviews, etc. is nothing I haven't read before, but she presents it well, with specific examples that one can follow, and adds some embellishments relevant / specific to the big tech companies.

I also liked the short Q&As at the end of every chapter.
Lastoadri
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Coincidence alone lead me to this book, and I have to thank my luck.
Eugenia Turculet
This, like many other book of its kind, is a very useful book if the steps are followed.
The structure of the book helps make it clear how to choose activities strategically, both in terms of internships and extracurriculars.
Alison
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly - I felt like this book was far more helpful to me than "What Color is Your Parachute?" A ton of helpful information that was interesting and easy to read. ...more
Maxat
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for people who are inexperienced with US tech job ecosystem. 13 chapters cover a lot of material. First chapters focus on which courses to take that’ll help you land a dream job at tech giant. Chapters in the middle focus on application and interview process. Last chapters focus on steering your career in the right way to land a dream job. Although hiring process is extremely stressful and diverse, the author does a tremendous job helping applicants focus on really important stuff. Fo ...more
Ahmad Hussain
This book can be considered a handbook for building a great resume and it contains great advice for both professionals and students and I'll certainly be re-reading several parts of it again.
The book is similar to other Gayle Mcdowel's books when it comes to getting ready to apply to top tech companies but with more emphasis on building a great resume.

However, the book is very similar to Gayle's book "Cracking the Tech Career" that many chapters share the same name, so it's not worth reading th
Tram Nguyen
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend for those who want to get into the tech industry but still new to the field (myself included). Reading this makes me feel so naive back when I made my first attempt blindly applying for these companies. I didn't know job searching and applying have their own working system that not a lot of people knows about. The author wrote with such a witty tone yet not sugar-coated about anything, which I really love and feel so connected with her. I'm in the middle of learning and applying ...more
Vishesh Agarwal
Dec 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hated the book.
This book basically says to get into Google, everything you do in your life, think about will this get me into Google.
I despise such thinking.
I tore the book into pieces and burnt it. I feel better now.
Abhi Chaurasia
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains Some key Insight points which could be beneficial for the Reader. Though the book is a bit boring at certain points, I would still recommend it!
JR Smith
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would have been a 3 stars, but I realized that a lot of the content is repeated in the later Cracking the Tech Career. Just read that, instead.
Hosein
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-knowledge
I really enjoyed reading this book.
every IT guy should read it before seeking for a job
Vibhor Rawal
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading her second book, I understand why Gayle is such a popular name in hiring in tech industry.

Followable advices, and well thought out before writing. This book can be read by people not just to improve their resume, but to understand the hiring process and leverage the insights.
Jack
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bible for software engineers until they become manager or lead.
Talie
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Nice read for someone starting a tech career. Good pointers about job searching and career development.
Rameswar
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on resume making among all the articles or books I have read regarding effective resumes. This book helped me throw away my old resume just to create another one single page resume embedding my day to day activities effectively nonetheless also quantifying my efforts. The first job that I took with this, the interviewers complemented me that they've not seen a single page resume before. I was glad reading this book and taking effective cues and applying it to my cv.

PS: Coul
Michael Koltsov
First of all i should say that i deeply appreciate what Gayle Laakman usually does. Last year i spent a lot of time on her careercup.com website. Also i’ve read another book of her, which is «Cracking the coding interview». After that don’t blame me if i’m too much biased.

What this book is about is obvious if you’ve read it’s title. The book is about how to write a resume to take a job in one of the top-notch tech companies of our time. There’re not so many companies every fresh grad dreams abou
Sushant Sharma
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the best advise on how to write effective resumes. Looks into the minds of the resume scanners and recruiters, how they view and what they expect in a resume. Some very good insights and advises.
A must read for people who are looking for jobs and applying of companies in the league of Apple, Microsoft, Google etc.
JDK1962
As a 50-year-old (employed) software engineer, I picked this up more out of idle curiosity than for any truly compelling reason, like an imminent job search.

If I need to look for a job again, I'll probably revisit this book when I revise my resume, and have to prep for the hated interview process. However, I had some specific problems with the book.

It seems *very* focused on recent grads. Nothing wrong with that, or with a book having a specific audience. Where I had more of an issue was with wh
عَبدُالكَرِيمْ
The only book I suggest to people who want to land an interview with $BigTechCompany interview.

I got an interview (followed by two other interviews by Google) while reading this book after spending 48 hours fixing my resume. It helped me perfect the process without any awkward moments.

Did I get the job?

Even though I did not get the job it was the most intense and amazing experience I have ever had.

This book will help you get the phone screening at least, but you won't get the job. Only 1 in 160
Mohamed T.
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-done
Good overview on how to look for a job and prepare for interviews. If you have read Gayle Laakmann McDowell's book "Cracking The Coding Interview" then be aware that some material will overlap. I would recommend this book more for someone who is currently a student to start thinking ahead about getting experience, completing projects, etc. I am not sure how beneficial it is for someone already in the work force and looking for a new job. I would recommend reading "Cracking The Coding Interview" ...more
Benny
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister recommended this book to me and she loved it even if she was not a programmer or someone who wanted to be in the technology industry. With the exception of the specific chapters, her advice can be applied to almost any fresh graduate on the job hunt.

I'm a Communications student whose main interest includes video games and technology. I really loved how she also gave advice for people outside of Computer Science field on how to break into the industry. I couldn't put the book down beca
Craig Motlin
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued to read a book by an author who was in my college classes.

The advice in the book was useful and pragmatic. I think the most useful advice was about how to quantify your accomplishments in your resume, making it more concrete and memorable.

Two things hold me back from giving the book 5 stars.
1. A decent amount of the advice is common sense.
2. The book focuses disproportionately on recent graduates and internships (probably drawing from the author's own experience).
Ibrahim Mohamed
this very good book for any one who want to get job at big tech company the book explain every step to reach out to your goal .
i read this book to know the process of interviews the author have a solid background on the hiring process i advice any on want to work at big tech company read this book
Any One Know About Microsoft 365 Education 1 1 Feb 18, 2021 08:50AM

• The Design of Everyday Things
  • The Best of Adam Sharp
  • Java in Two Semesters: Featuring Javafx
  • Clean Architecture
  • Tech Titans of China: How China's Tech Sector is challenging the world by innovating faster, working harder, and going global
  • Competing in the Age of AI: Strategy and Leadership When Algorithms and Networks Run the World
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gayle Laakmann McDowell is the founder / CEO of CareerCup, and the author of Cracking the PM Interview, Cracking the Coding Interview, and Cracking the Tech Career.

Gayle has worked for Microsoft, Apple and Google as a software engineer. She holds a bachelor's and master's degree from the University of Pennsylvania in Computer Science, and an MBA from the Wharton School. She currently resides in Pa