Start by marking “Virgin (Virgin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Virgin (Virgin, #1)

Virgin

(Virgin #1)

Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.

Yet.

This is normal, right?  I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?

It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.

The guys I know complain that girls are alwa
Published August 5th 2014 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virgin

Start your review of Virgin (Virgin, #1)
Emily May
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is solid proof that even New Adult chick lit can be well-written, hilarious and meaningful.

In fact, I am amazed at how good this book is. Virgin should probably be the bible for teenage girls and young women everywhere... it is an honest, laugh-out-loud funny portrayal of growing up, relationships, sex and all the icky bits (and there are some real icky bits).

I cannot tell you how surprised I was. Let's be honest, I read this because of that title which was too curiosity-inducing for
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Let’s file this review under . . . .

In case you aren’t already aware – I suck at reviews. I’m not just talking about the fact that I don’t words reel gud and opt to use funny movin’ pitchers to get my point across, but I mean I S.U.C.K. at keeping up. Something I didn’t realize until a few weeks ago is that I also suck at requesting books from the library. A lot of you know that when it comes to libraries, the gods really smiled u
Dana
Jun 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

How to describe this novel..... first words that come to mind...Pathetic, Miserable, Temperamental,Plaintive. I was pretty disgusted with the main character the entire time I was reading this. I really hope this is not supposed to be a relatable character, because if so then our planet is going to shit.

I suppose I was given adequate warning by the title, but every bloody sentence has her whining on and on about how it is so deplorable to be a virgin. In her opinion being a virgin is worse than h
Paula M
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, favorite, arc
You can also read it here.

"The rumor about boys finding virgins sexy was a LIE. It was just some medieval bullshit that old people said to try and make their daughters keep their legs crossed and not get pregnant"

First of all, Virgin is not Erotica. And honestly, I wonder why it wasn't shelved as Erotica. I mean, yeah, it wasn't really focused on sex scenes but the language.... and there's actually a chapter dedicated on teaching someone how to give a proper Blow.. gift (If you'll read the b
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

This review is going to be personal in a way that I rarely get on my blog. I’d feel more comfortable if any family members who happen to be reading my blog would please skip this one or at least have the good grace to not talk to me about it. I am not and probably never will be mature enough for that.

Reading books like Losing It and Virgin is a very personal experience for me, as I am a 26-year-old virgin.
Lindsey Lewis
NOTE: I received a free digital galley of Virgin from Penguin’s First to Read giveaway. I received no other incentives for reading or reviewing. The review below is entirely of my own opinion. Also inserting a warning here about strong language - I remain as appropriate as I can, but this is a book about sex so maybe grow up a bit?

I would like to applaud Radhika Sanghani for writing a novel that is frank in its discussion of sex, accessible to young readers in similar plights, and TMI in all the
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
In Radhika Sanghani’s New Adult novel, Virgin, Ellie yearned to lose her virginity at all costs. Her friends did it. They normalized her life. So, why’s she abnormal?

(See my full review at https://craftyscribblescom.wordpress....)
Patrice Hoffman
I have to start by saying I'm on the fence about Virgin by Radhika Sanghani. More on that later. Ellie Kolstakis is a 21-year old virgin. Not from lack of trying, but just 'cause. Ellie, with the help of some friends, embarks on a journey to lose her V-card before she graduates from college. Afterall, everyone else is doing it.

From the beginning, Sanghani grabs readers with Ellie's wit and personality. She's honest and open about all her sexual mishaps, inexperience, and really hairy parts. Yeah
Jessica B.
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this I kept thinking, "OMG is Radhika listening in on all my conversations with friends?!" and, "WTF this is actually my life," except written way better of course.

Seriously, I haven't laughed so hard at a book in years and it wasn't just because it was funny. It's incredibly poignant, especially to this generation of females. What we go through growing up, trying to understand boys, being afraid to ask real questions (aka: can you put a lady-bullet up there?) and this whole my
Henz
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh boy, this book was hilarious. I had a major amount of fun reading this. Just from the first paragraph and I knew right there that I'm going to love this book.

"Ellie Kolstakis
21 years old
Nonsmoker
VIRGIN

I stared in horror at the words on Dr. E. Bower's computer. The status of my hymen was plastered across her screen in capital letters. V-I-R-G-I-N."

Well I think this book is not for everyone, some may relate to Ellie's obsession of being a virgin and others may find it dirty and unworthy but
Anastasia シ
At first I wasn’t sure what to make of this book. Virgin was really was something special. I’m just blown away. Sanghani is definitely on my radar now.

Virgin is great. Well written, funny, and very relevant to our time. Even thought the protagonist is a virgin she is frank about her body, and sex. Ellie is a twenty-one year old virgin who shares her story of attempts to have her deflowered with the aid of her partner-in-crime friend Lara.Ellie embarks on several adventures with the opposite sex
Scarlet
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Glass
Hilarious!
I was just in the time of need of something to laugh at, to take the stress off my shoulders, and this book came out perfect .
Tina
FINALLY A BOOK ABOUT SEX THAT DOESN'T TRY TO SHAME WOMEN WHO ENJOY HAVING SEX. Yes, that does require those caps because there are so few of these books in existence. So many times I've read a book that is about a person discovering or learning to embrace their sexuality that then turns around and sends the message that too much of a good thing makes you worthy of being called so many terms society adores. Slut, whore, dirty bitch . . . all negative, and all used way too often to make women feel ...more
caren
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I applaud the author for writing this book. It's a very real account of what I'm sure many women have experienced at one time or another when stressing about their vaginas. Or about penises touching their vaginas.

My only complaint was that, at twenty one, Ellie seemed much too immature for my tastes. I mean, I get her stress. Her worry. Who didn't experience that 'will it ever happen for me?' moment when one of their friends had sex first? I know I did. But I don't ever remember being so worrie
Mel
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the 100th book I read this year and I am HELLA glad for that because this book was AMAZING!!
Buckle up everyone this is gonna be a long one.
SPOILERS WILL OCCUR

21 year old virgin who wants nothing more than to lose her virginity and who has shitty luck and gets herself into these disastrous situations but handles them so well? BEST plot and hilarious.
Ellie was a rocket of a character. SO much personality. I loved her dearly. She was super immature at moments, and super obsessive, but so
Mandy
Jul 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
I really struggled with this book. I was surprised at how immature the characters were for a book about a 21 year old losing her virginity. I am so thankful that I don't have friends like this. I thought this was supposed to be a humorous book but I didn't really find it funny and I really didn't like the main character Ellie.

*ARC received by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
Bloggeretterized
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you don’t take this book seriously it is a fun fast paced read. A book that openly talks about dating, drinking, sex, masturbation, reproductive organs, body fluids, etc. in the college environment. Clearly a book for the college audience. But I am past my college years and even though I can’t deny that it had its funny parts, the final message or the concept of the novel ended up bothering more than I thought making it only an OK read (2 stars). But I’ll get to that later.

The synopsis sounde
Jenn (One of Many, We are Legion)
8/22/14 - edit to downgrade a star. I said previously that this was somewhere between 3 and 4, and I stand by that. However, on further reflection, I feel this should be on the lower end of that because I still don't particularly like the MC much.

WARNING: This book is not for the faint of heart, as it discusses in a frank manner many issues dealing with the nether lady parts and a woman's first adventures with sex, down to the dirty, ugly anxieties that come with it.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Ellie thinks she must be the only virgin in her university, 21 years old and all she has to her name is some kisses and a bite job. It’s not even like she is looking for Mr Right with his candlelit dinners and bouquets of roses. She would settle for a few drinks, so long as she can throw away her V card at the end of the night. But this year Ellie is determined to finally do it and get rid of her shameful secret once and for all.

This book is two things that I generally don’t read…and have no
hayden
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-ya-contemp
Well, VIRGIN, here we are. I am finished with you, and I have a much more extensive knowledge of the workings of a vagina than I did at the beginning. For that, I can both thank and curse you.

I mean, really. This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't bad. It was quite good, albeit a little much.
Kiersten
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Awkward.
See more of my reviews at We Live and Breathe Books

**I'm giving away an ARC of Virgin! The giveaway is open US only, unless you're willing to pay shipping, through July 24th. Enter here!**

Virgin is about a 21-year-old girl named Ellie who happens to be, well, a virgin. While the story follows Ellie on her mission to lose her virginity, she goes on a whole other journey at the same time.

I got an ARC of Virgin at BEA this year. I wasn't completely sure I was going to read but when I got an email t
Kayla at MyBookMuse
"This was my last opportunity to lose my virginity and I had to grab it now. I had to ditch my V-plates by the time I graduated in the summer--which meant I had four months to finally understand what an orgasm was and to learn how to give blow jobs."

Ellie is a 21 year old virgin and not for a lack of trying. Having been through a horrible and hilarious experience at 17, which includes a guy laughing at au-natural pubic situation, Ellie is willing to do whatever it takes to not repeat the same mi
Terri
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

**I won a copy of this book in a giveaway on Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.**

I did not know what to expect when I picked up this book. I mean it throws no punches in advertising that it was about a girl who was trying to find a way to lose her virginity.

Given the subject matter I would not recommend this book for everyone. There is blatant talk about sex and sexuality including descriptions of various sexual acts. There is
Julie
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I think this might be one of my favorites if not my favorite book ever. It's so laugh out loud funny and it still makes you feel emotional when it needs to. I connected with Ellie so much. She seems like someone I wanna hang out with and most of the thoughts that run through her head are the same thoughts I probably would've had in that situation.This is such an empowering book about female sexuality. It's all about accepting yourself as you are and embracing your own choices of having and not h ...more
Michelle Rodriguez
5/20/2014

Immediately I can relate to the main character. ::dies:: So far, so good.

5/21/2014

Ok, so I have mixed feelings about the main character. Sometimes I loved her, and other times I just wanted to slap her in the face. I guess I had such a love/hate relationship with her because she reminds me of a younger me. I'm definitely glad I outgrew that stage, and have learned to love myself. I loved to see her grow and mature through the story, there's nothing I love more than female empowerment.

Ev
Talk Books To Me
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I read the summary for Virgin I knew I had to give it a try. I love to get lost every now and again in chick lit with a side of humor and that’s exactly what I got out of this fun,compulsive tale of a 21 year old trying to loose her virginity. I laughed so hard I cried especially with the Bite Job and the Bush-mare!

Ellie was a pleasure to read and I loved following her journey because let’s face it,we have all been there. We are not born sexually active or sexual seductresses, we have
Lauren
Sep 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
The experience of reading this book is like being trapped in an elevator with your extremely annoying, nitwit younger cousin and being forced to listen to her "discover" and "embrace" her womanhood.
Noelia Alonso
A fun read. I laughed quite a few times although the main character was a bit too obsessed. It's quite a explicit read so if you're uncomfortable with that, don't waste your time.
Dannie Morin
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Dannie says: I liked it better when it was called Forty Year Old Virgin or Losing It or...The Vagina Monologues or...

God, this book is terrible.

WHAT I LIKED

The humor. Even though much of it is that crass style of humor that I'm not super crazy about, there were some good one liners, particularly once the blog excerpts start. The humor prior to that is in the vein of DOING IT by Melvin Burgess which, man did I hate that book. But, as this is intended for an older audience and is thus more approp
Ashley
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh lordy, is this book a doozy! I was literally laughing to myself while reading this novel. A hilarious novel for confused girls living in a 21st century world, VIRGIN is a perfect mix of innocence, first-times, and the dreaded female problems that all women think about yet nobody wishes to admit!

Ellie is a 21-year old virgin - and to her, this is her most embarrassing feature. Regardless of the fact that nobody knows, Ellie dwells on this fact night and day until it becomes all consuming. Hopi
Madison Mega-Mara...: Virgin by Radhika Sanghani 1 4 Aug 02, 2014 09:52AM

• Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1)
  • Summer Skin
  • Unteachable
  • I'll Meet You There
  • Nerdy Little Secret
  • Suave Conquista
  • Meu astro do rock (deuses do rock Livro 1)
  • Unravel (Fairfax, #1)
  • The Bikini Body 28-Day Healthy Eating & Lifestyle Guide
  • Meet Me on Love Lane (Hopeless Romantics, #2)
  • 101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think
  • Conceal
  • This Heart of Mine (Whiskey Creek, #8)
  • Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1)
  • The Untamed MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5.5)
  • Secrets of Surrender (Rothwell #3)
  • The Good Woman of Renmark
  • Never Saw You Coming
I have just written my debut novel VIRGIN, which will be coming out in August in America, with Penguin, and September here in the UK with Harlequin.
I'm a women's writer for The Daily Telegraph in London where I write on women's issues.
I read constantly and love reviewing contemporary novels. Feel free to get in touch!

Virgin (2 books)
  • Not That Easy (Virgin, #2)

News & Interviews