Start by marking “Amish Vampires in Space” as Want to Read:
Amish Vampires in Space

Amish Vampires in Space

(Peril in Plain Space #1)

Jebediah has a secret that will change his world forever and send his people into space.

The Amish world of Alabaster calls upon an ancient promise to escape destruction. Then end up on a cargo ship bound for the stars.

But they are not the only cargo on board. Some of it is alive…or used to be.

Now, with vampires taking over and closing in on the Amish refugees, these simple
Published October 1st 2013 by Marcher Lord Press (first published September 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Amish Vampires in Space, please sign up.
The Shayne-Train They borrowed others' technology. Like today, an Amish person can ride in a car, just not own one or benefit from possessing the technology.…moreThey borrowed others' technology. Like today, an Amish person can ride in a car, just not own one or benefit from possessing the technology.(less)

Start your review of Amish Vampires in Space
The Shayne-Train
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look at that title. Drink it in. It's what made me want to read this book, period.

Now, with a title like that, I'd prepared myself for a shortish, pulpy camp-fest. But no. Oh, no. THIS is a straight-up, well-written sci-fi novel.

This is a vision of the future I've not seen before. Kept simple, recognizable as a place we could indeed end up at. The tech was cool, and the evolved belief-system was nice and rational.

Contrarywise, it also had in depth and obviously researched depictions of Amish li
John Otto
Nov 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
The story of how this book came to be is telling. Some people at a Christian publishing house, noting the popularity of Amish books, vampire books and science fiction in today's culture, thought up a title that would be a sure-fire hit. What they came up with was "Amish Vampires In Space," a hilarious idea, but so ridiculous that no writer would ever write it and no publisher would ever publish it. Hah! Someone decided to take it seriously.

This is the worst book I've ever read. I gave it one sta
Erica
I want to read this based 100% on the title, alone.
I mean...come on. Amish? Vampires? IN SPACE???
How can this not be a gem?
Jill Williamson
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this book cover, I didn't know what to think. It looked like a joke. But I loved this author's other books, so I wanted to read this one and see for myself.

Here's the gist: Jeb is an Amish man living on the planet Alabaster as part of a group put there to colonize the planet. But Alabaster's sun is dying. And the Amish people must relocate before the sun explodes. A transport ship arrives to move them and their animals. But along the journey, something gets out of another cargo
Josiah
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I like to think that over the past several years, I've cultivated an image of myself as a thoughtful, discerning reader with good tastes.

So, uh, how do I explain the fact that I found a book with the title "Amish Vampires in Space" to be a legitimately good book? >.>

Maybe it would help to mention the fact that the book was written as a challenge where the author took an intentionally terrible premise (combining the worst trends of the 2010-era publishing world) to see if he could write a legitim
Joood Hooligan
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to start out by saying that this is perhaps the most original story I've ever read. I will admit that I was drawn in by the title after finding it on The Fussy Librarian, it was just so odd that I needed to check it out. After skimming through the reviews on both Goodreads and Amazon, and seeing it was an actual story - and not just a joke - I decided to give it a chance. I've been reading the same type of story lately, and I was in the mood for a change.

The story starts out slowly, intro
John
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book quicker than I expected. It was a good, enjoyable synthesis of science fiction and horror despite its ludicrous title. Enjoyed it a great deal, and will no doubt eventually read the sequel.
Steve Rzasa
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Despite what you may think upon reading the title "Amish Vampires in Space," this is no parody, nor is it a big joke. This is a serious sci-fi novel that approaches a premise -- namely, how would you get Amish and vampires into space? -- and plays it totally straight.

It starts off as a tale of a young man's concern for his Amish community, and when faced with impending danger, the choice he makes that has consequences for his place in their community. It transforms into a space opera tale involv
Nanette
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
You must have discernment. That is what I told myself before reading this Christian fiction book. I thought for sure it would either be totally dumb or some distorted version of Christianity (“everything goes” cuz because God is all about love). I read the statement of faith on the Marcher Lord Press website. Right on target! The Scripture quotes in the book are from the NASB. Great! The acknowledgements at the beginning praise God. As it should be! The forward explained the goal – to gain new f ...more
Marjolein
2.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

When I first heard about Amish Vampires in Space I was sure it was supposed to be some kind of a spoof. Quickly, I found out that in fact it was a serious science fiction novel concerning Amish, vampires and space.

Immediately my expectations were much higher, to have this kind of story and not mean it as a spoof, it was supposed to be really good. A novel that was just okay wouldn't do. So maybe I'm just judging this novel too
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

At our podcast live recording at the RT Convention, someone stated that there is a book called Amish Vampires in Space. Clearly, one of us was going to have to read this, and that someone was me. I was fully prepared to mock it to the heavens, but it turned out to be good – in a serious way, not as a parody. I’m very confused by this. My world is rocked.

According to the introduction, Amish Vampires in Space started as a joke. Jeff Gerke was working for a
Ron
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing short of amazing. I've read enough Amish and vampire fiction to like neither. I only bought and read this for a friend. "In space"? I couldn't conceive how that could possibly work. But it does. Very well.

The story starts slowly as Nietz assembles his cast and paints the background. In fact, the reader (tipped off by the title) sees the coming train wreck long before any of the characters. Typically, the humans are following their daily routines with sometimes maddening monomania. As the
Thomas Edmund
So Amish Vampires in Space. Obviously not mean to be taken seriously, however begging the question – how should one take this book?
My first surprise in picking up this gem was an introduction from Jeff Gerke (who writes, the First 50 pages – recommended reading for would-be authors.) He explains that Amish themed novels had saturated the Christian books market, (and of course vampire fiction the general young adult) I’m not too sure where the Space came from, other than ‘In Space’ is a long-stan
Gretchen
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like poles on a magnet, Amish repelled me and Vampires attracted me. I heard about this title and thought it was going to be a parody and was disappointed that it wasn't. Not that it mattered, I really wanted to read this book. For a lot of reasons mostly that it sounded like a great read even if it wasn't a comedy. I was not disappointed.

I grew up in the Midwest not far from several Amish communities. The way of life lost its appeal with the end of the Little House on the Prairie and my desire
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtb-book-club
According to the foreword, this was a silly idea that someone (indeed, Kerry Nietz) decided to write up in a serious manner. I wish I could travel through time so that I could sit down with Kerry Nietz and say, "Dude. No. Seriously. Stop."

I hoped it would be campy. It was not. I hoped it would be funny unintentionally or intentionally. It was neither sort of funny. What else was it not? Scary, well written, interesting or even halfway convincing with any of its scifi or technology. Have you see
Dave Jones
Really, could this review be any more pithy than:

"Do we really need another Amish Vampires in Space book?"
-- Jimmy Fallon, The Tonight Show

"If you read no other book on this topic this year, make it this one!"
-- Dave Barry, Pulitzer Prize winning author and columnist

This book came upon my radar as a result of one of those blogging lists (10 Best Book Titles or similar). What really intrigued me about this title is that one of its genres is Christian. Really? Christian? How can they pull that one
Lelia Rose
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The title makes you think of a train wreck, the kind you drive by slowly so you can look even though you know you shouldn't. In this case, the slow down and look is worth it. Despite the camp title, Kerry plays the story straight. I even think he treats the Amish viewpoint with respect. He does disagree with said viewpoint, but does not make the mistake of saying that anyone who thinks a particular way is stupid. In the whole book with a large cast, there are only two people cast as stupids, and ...more
Lisa Godfrees
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It’s not a joke. It’s for real. And it’s really good. All 534 pages of it.

I’m one of the lucky ones. I got an advanced copy of Amish Vampires in Space from the publisher (in exchange for an honest review). I would have finished it much sooner but life intervened. Isn’t it frustrating how life can get in the way of a really good book at times? ;)

This book is science fiction, and that’s what makes it strangely plausible. From Amish colonization of their own planet (can you not see the Amish jumpin
Meldarion Sidhiel
The title seems so absurd that I just have to read it to see how it all comes together...
Bekah Keesler
I literally don’t know how this book has such good ratings. The title and topic seem like they would make for an awesome book, but alas the author delivers a long-winded, excruciatingly slow-paced, dull book with a horrible depiction of the Amish. Also the writing style was not for me, and made this bad book even worse. So. Many. Sentence. Fragments.
Valerie Kyriosity
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I've been wanting to read this one for years, and I recently noticed it was available in audiobook, so I indulged. And it was fun! It felt like one of the better Star Trek episodes. Not "Darmok" or "The Inner Light," but the next tier down from those. Another reviewer got bent out of shape about the inaccurate representation of the Amish, but really...are you going to read this book for anthropological accuracy any more than you'd watch Star Trek for scientific accuracy? Not if you're sensible. ...more
Carly Jerome
Oct 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a terrible book - terribly written, way too long, the men are all garbage. It’s just bad.
Kathy Heare Watts
VERY CREATIVE!

I won a paperback copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it to my local library.
C.S. Wachter
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. Cultures collide when a dying sun drives an Amish community from their sheltered world into the advanced technology of the English sent to rescue them before their world is destroyed.
The story begins with Jebediah’s secret, the weight of which propels him to use technology prohibited by his community’s laws. Though Jebediah’s actions save his people, his decision to use the forbidden technology leads to his being shunned by the very people he sought to save.
In an effort to honor the
Jim D'Ambrosia
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
As you can see from the other reviews, the subject isn't a joke, and there's no camp, and very little humor at all, involved. Nietz plays it straight, as Christian sci-fi. And the plot is actually reasonably plausible, given the subject matter.

But it's not a very good book. It could have been decent, with more revisions, editing, and care. It's about twice as long as it needs to be. Too many pointless descriptions and dead-end plot diversions.

It's too bad the author didn't try for at least a li
John Otte
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It may sound like a joke, but this book is excellent. It's easy to imagine that a group of Amish would take the chance to leave the "English" behind and set up their own planet. But what would happen if those Amish then had to abandon their colony? What would happen to the person who decided that he had to call for help? And what if the ship that picked them up carried...well, I won't get into that. Spoilers.

I simply devoured this book. It is really, really fun!
MC
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to stress what one can find others saying in their reviews of this novel on various forums: that this is not some campy or cheesy book. I remember actually being disappointed when I heard from author Kerry Nietz on the web site Speculative Faith that it was not camp, but serious. It would make such a delicious bit of camp, after all.

I also must admit that the subject being done in a realistic way was hard to imagine at the time that I first heard of this book, though I took author Ker
R.J. Rodda
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, christian, sf
As great as it sounds and totally my kind of book. The concept is funny - good Amish people becoming vampires! - but the topic is treated seriously. Amish people because of dire circumstances go against their anti-tech principles and let a spaceship move them to a new world. Their leadership is very worried that time on a spaceship will corrupt the Amish. Their fears seem wholly justified when one by one the Amish start radically changing in their behavior. Love how serious ideas in this are dis ...more
Maggie
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of a book club. We thought it might be entertaining because, although the plot sounds terrible, the reviews were good. This book is boring, slow and wooden. The writing is repetitive and dull. Even when the action finally starts, it is slow and dry.

Spare yourself.
John Szatkowski
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ignore the crazy title, or enjoy it, the book is wonderful

A good sci-fi story with horror, thrills, faith, moral relativism and comparative religion, oh and vampires too. That is 4 of Kerry’s books read this month. I hope he’s busy writing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Love, Lucy
  • Gods and Generals (The Civil War Trilogy, #1)
  • Manga Mania™: Romance: Drawing Shojo Girls and Bishie Boys
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • The Nightingale's Song
  • His Royal Highness
  • The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes, #2)
  • GOD CANCER
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Delta Green: Tales from Failed Anatomies
  • North and South (North and South, #1)
  • Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2)
  • A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1)
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • Delta Green: Strange Authorities
  • Delta Green : The Rules of Engagement
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • The Book of Cthulhu (The Book of Cthulhu, #1)
Kerry Nietz is an award-winning science fiction author. He has over a half dozen speculative novels in print, along with a novella, a couple short stories, and a non-fiction book, FoxTales.

Kerry’s novel A Star Curiously Singing won the Readers Favorite Gold Medal Award for Christian Science Fiction and is notable for its dystopian, cyberpunk vibe in a world under sharia law. It has over a hundred

Peril in Plain Space (3 books)
  • Amish Zombies from Space (Peril in Plain Space #2)
  • Amish Werewolves of Space (Peril in Plain Space Book 3)