Start by marking “Expiration Date” as Want to Read:
Expiration Date

Expiration Date (Otherworld Stories)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Modern lives seem littered with expiration dates. Packaging tells us when our food will go bad; when we can expect appliances to cease functioning; when contracts for the internet finish! But as annoying as these small expiration dates are, they fade to nothing compared to the larger events: when a species goes extinct; when a body of water evaporates, or dies because the ...more
Published April 15th 2015 by Hades Publications (first published January 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Expiration Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expiration Date

Frank Errington
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

Nancy Kilpatrick is a writer and editor. She has published 18 novels, 1 non-fiction book, over 200 short stories, 5 collections of stories, and has edited 12 anthologies.

Her latest is Expiration Date, an anthology of brilliant stories that examine all sorts of expirings, but mainly the ones that are personal, because those are the demises that matter most to us. The collection of stories is broken into 3 parts; Negotiating Oblivion (trying to reason with death); Resisting Extinction (
Tobin Elliott
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: hard-copy, fiction, horror
Not going to rate this one until I get a copy in my hot little hands, but I'm excited to, as one of my own stories, Prison Break is in it. But for now, 5 stars for the cover alone.

UPDATE: Finally got around to reading this baby. And yes, before you ask, I even reread my own story. Thankfully, I think it held up well against such a talented cast of authors.

That said, of course it's an anthology with a mix of writers and styles, some that resonate deeply and some that don't. Overall, I quite enj
Paul
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Many things in life have an ending or an expiration date. It can range from the food in your refrigerator, to the finish of a horse race, to the stopping of a stop-watch, to the end of a person's life. That's what this group of new stories is all about.

Stuck in that split second before dying (or not dying) in an auto accident, a woman gets to see how her family will survive, both with her and without her. Fascinated by death from an early age, a woman becomes an EMT to get as close to death as p
Carla
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC copy of this book for an honest review. What a delight to find so many horror stories in one book. An anthology of stories from various authors. Many of whom are Canadian much to my delight. While there were a few I quickly skimmed through, that I didn't really enjoy, most were thought provoking. Most revolved around the "grim reaper" and death visiting. It was a wonderful mixture of stories.
Tracy
I received an arc of this book from librarything in exchange for a review.

Like most anthologies, this one was a mix of good and bad, however the good heavily outweighed the bad. In fact there were only two stories that I didn't finish. There were more 5 star stories in this anthology than in any other I have ever read. I highly recommend it.
M. Fenn
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By random happenstance, the next book on my TBR pile was another collection from Edge Science Fiction & Fantasy Publishing (an imprint of Hades Publications, to get picky). LibraryThing sent me this one, too, as an Early Reviewer giveaway. Expiration Date is a collection of tales all having to do with endings–the death of someone in the story, more often than not. The editor Nancy Kilpatrick sets out the parameters of the anthology in an interesting introduction that got me excited to read t ...more
Ron
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I generally like short story collections as it allows me to experience a number of authors without committing too much time to one book. However, Expiration Date had only three stories that caught and kept my attention - Sorry Seems to by the Hardest Word by Kelley Armstrong; Banshee by Daniel Sernine, and Right of Survivorship by Nancy Holder and Erin Underwood. The other stories passed before my glazing eyes without really registering. However, your tastes my like these three and the twenty-tw ...more
Kelly
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has a nice selection of stories. Although one of the main draws for me was a contribution by Kelley Armstrong, I was actually disappointed with her story. It felt more like a chapter taken from a novel than a short story. Many of the stories are from lesser known authors (at least lesser known to me) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed those contributions even more than the ones from well-known authors. Horror fans should definitely check this out.

Note: I was provided
Cameron
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

This collection of stories all rotate around one main topic: Death. Some deal directly with the impact and many others feature Death himself as a main character. This is a greaat compilation with a relatively narrow topic. As would be the case in any short story compilation, I was thoroughly impressed with some of the stories and others left me wanting. All in all though, Expiration Date was fully worth the read.
Falbs
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read several of these stories ahead of 'The God of Small Things' and several afterward, and like many anthologies there were a few stories too nostalgic or fantastic for my taste, but several really hit home, especially 'Night Market' and 'The Greyness' that I would highly recommend.
Hussain
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Rose
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting collection of stories about life and death, some supernatural. I liked most of them.
Mimi
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The only story I read in this book was the one by Kelley Armstrong: "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word." I enjoyed it and liked the rapport and the give and take between Cass and Zoe. Short, but a good addition to "Otherworld Stories."
Jessica
Feb 22, 2016
Just Me
Oct 12, 2016
Nancy Kilpatrick
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Edwin Downward

Jun 05, 2016
Cyber
Jan 27, 2017
Amy
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kevin Craig
May 12, 2015
Robert Bose
Mar 12, 2015
  • The Bitten Word
  • Wrestling with Gods (Tesseracts Eighteen)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2
  • Mister October, Volume II - An Anthology in Memory of Rick Hautala
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Seven
  • Dark Masques
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • Christopher Pike's Tales of Terror: Volume 2
  • Best New Horror 22 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #22)
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Dead Letters: An Anthology of the Undelivered, the Missing & the Returned
  • Magic, Myth & Majesty (7 Fantasy Novels)
  • House of Fear
  • Vampire Bites
  • Out of Tune
  • City of Devils (City of Devils #1)
  • The Sam Truman Mysteries Omnibus Volume 1

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99