Start by marking “Haiti My Country: Poems by Haitian schoolchildren” as Want to Read:
Haiti My Country: Poems by Haitian schoolchildren

Haiti My Country: Poems by Haitian schoolchildren

Pretty flowers in my country are for me
Like pink butterflies
That smile at the sun

(Judes-Roldes)

For several months, Quebec illustrator Roge prepared a series of portraits of Haitian children. Students of Camp Perrin wrote that accompanying poems, which create, with flowing consistency, Haiti My Country. These teenaged poets use the Haitian landscape as their easel. The
Published March 30th 2014 by Fifth House (first published January 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Haiti My Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haiti My Country

Start your review of Haiti My Country: Poems by Haitian schoolchildren
Holly Mueller
This book is gorgeous. No wonder it is on the 2014 NYT Best Illustrated list. Poems by young people about the landscapes of Haiti and beautiful painted portraits of Haitian children grace each page. Some of the portraits made my heart ache and others made me smile. Lines such as "Upon awakening we hear the song of our neighbour's rooster/A beautiful concert to the ears of merchants/Parading the streets of my country" and "In this beautiful setting stretches dazzling greenery/where we find small ...more
Robynn
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
(One of the winners of the New York Times Best Illustrated Books Awards for 2014.) Very much enjoyed these thoughtful poems written by young people who love their homeland.
Stéphanie
Les poèmes des écoliers sont tendres et colorés, à l'image des jolies portraits d'enfants de l'illustrateur Rogé. Un très bel album de poésie.
Naika
What a lovely collection of poems. Admittedly, it’s harder for me to read and appreciate poetry so I was a bit anxious going in, despite knowing it’s targeted to a much younger audience.

I really didn’t need to be though! I am Haitian American and have visited Haiti once. With each poem I so easily could recall the scenery. I could so easily feel each poets’ love and pride for their island. I swelled with pride. Haiti always gets such negative representation and this collection of poems makes no
Judi Paradis
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Haiti--heartbreak and beauty--and here it is in a beautiful collection of poems written by children who came of age in the early part of the 21st century--just before the earthquake and the hurricanes destroyed so much. The poets are talented, the words are carefully chosen, and the intense pride that one so often finds when talking to our Haitian-American students is palpable. Students using these as examples of student writing will be challenged to meet the standard here. Stanzas evoke clear ...more
Cindy Kim
This short book of poems is impacting and filled with beautiful words from the minds of young teenagers from Haiti. The illustrator, Roge, also does an absolutely fantastic job sketching the almost life-like faces of these young poets accompanying the poem next to it. It creates a sense of realness and depth in the poems, knowing who may have written it. The children were inspired to write about their country in free verse form using a landscape image. Many of the poems are filled with vivid ...more
David
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book of poetry is absolutely stunning. The simplicity of the voices, sung by the youth of their native country, gives life to the hearts and flowers and sunshine and pain experience. I also love the portrait of the poet next to their Words.

The beauty is central in the verse, and the pain of loss sneaks through, as in this short verse, written by Annie aged 11:

Magnificent country becomes
Broken land
All smiles are lost

It is amazing to read, a verse, that comes like a haiku, the structure of
Rachael Fluke
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Katherine Niemi
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-230-books
this is a beautiful collection of poems and portraits about Haiti. The art in all of the portraits is stunning and powerful. The poems range in topic, about scenery in Haiti, life In Haiti, the earthquake. its a stunning collection that I think many students could enjoy reading when learning about poetry.
Dylan Teut
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book- Haitian schoolchildren wrote poems about why they love their country. After reading these beautiful, well-written poems, it's hard to imagine why a president would refer to their country as a shithole country. It's a place they're proud of, and should be.
Kirsten
This is a beautiful book. Poems by fifteen Haitian schoolchildren are accompanied by portraits by Roge'. It's wonderful to read on its own, but it would be a fantastic tool in the classroom if used to combine art, social studies, and writing.
December Sirmans
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really enjoyed the diversity in this poem book, it has such great poetry from a childs perspective! I think it would be a good book for children to rate with.
Claudia
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 1-5th grade
The book is all poems with a portrait. About Haiti
Madison
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! Haiti has a way of capturing your heart, and this poetry collection shows that. Heartwarming, heart wrenching, and full of passion, this is one special collection.
December SIrmans
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zack Rodgers
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a very unique book in that it doesn't really have an author. But in fact each page contains a poem written a Haitian school child. They are elementary age so this would be nice for American elementary students to read these poems by kids their own age in a different country.
Heather Gettys
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Turvey
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haitian Schoolchildren. (2014). Haiti my country: Poems by Haitian schoolchildren. Ill. Roge. Markham, ON: Fifth House.

This book is written by Haitian children. It is a series of poems and have illustrations along with them. The poems are mostly about the environment of Haiti.

The illustrations by Roge were painted with acrylic paints.

I liked how it was from children's prospective. I also liked how it showed the devastation but also the beauty of living in Haiti. I visited Haiti when I was 17
Maureen Milton
In the first of these 16 poems, the narrator wants “to make it radiate everywhere / To make it known that Haiti is a gift from the heavens....” Expressive mixed media images depict the varied, beautiful faces of individual children from Camp Perrin whose poignant poems detail the sights, smells, and sounds of their beloved, rural Haiti. The language of each poem is rich with doting detail. The faces and the text provide an inviting introduction to this proudly held place, as well as inspiration ...more
Barbra
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Fifteen students from Camp Perrin share visions of the nature and temperament of their country. Touching portraits accompany each poem. This would be a wonderful addition to any school library, touching on Language Arts and Social Studies, giving young readers an insight to Haitian culture. This book will appeal to ages eight and up.
Melle
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: citizens of Earth
This is an astounding, beautiful, reflective, and touching read -- poems written by schoolchildren and portraits lovingly rendered of each of the poets. The poems evoke the natural beauty of Haiti and the necessary strength of its people. The portraits are gorgeous, capturing the spirit and energy of each student. This book is a treasure.
Crystal
This is a gorgeous book. The illustrations are portraits of Haitian school children and are beautifully done. The poetry is written by Haitian teens. The poems revolve around home, nature and Haiti. They are full of hope and life.
JMRL
Jun 23, 2015 added it
Find this book of poems by Haitian schoolchildren at JMRL: http://aries.jmrl.org/record=b1331489~S9
Carrie Gelson
All of it - stunning. Had to buy my own copy
Emily A
Jun 19, 2018
Mary Napoli
Nov 02, 2014
John
Dec 26, 2014
Mary
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful poems, some of which are like a punch to the gut, accompanied by beautiful portraits.
Ellen

• The Seventh Wish
  • Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • The Paperboy
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!