Start by marking “Jailhouse Strong” as Want to Read:
Jailhouse Strong

Jailhouse Strong

Tired of all the latest exercise “advancements” delivering no results?
For less than the cost of a day pass to any trendy chain gym, you can get Jailhouse Strong.

With innovation and dedication prisoners make incredible strength gains.

Jailhouse Strong offers functional strength training with a workout system that is based on the training habits cultivated behind bars.

Throu
Published October 2013 by Back Arms Publications

To ask other readers questions about Jailhouse Strong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jailhouse Strong

Start your review of Jailhouse Strong
R
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like some of the criticisms of this book miss the point. I don't think Josh Bryant was trying to revolutionise strength or hypertrophy training. He was simply presenting the methods that actual prisoners have used in the past to get strong and ripped with minimal equipment. That's just cool within itself. While most of it was generic bodyweight exercises, some of the rep schemes were interesting such as the pyramid, reverse pyramid, Juarez Valley Method, and Total Repetition Method. ...more
Steve Scott
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: physical-fitness
Poorly written and full of routines that are common knowledge around many gyms, this book purports to put together routines that prisoners do in prison. The notion is that these exercises will make the reader "Jailhouse strong!"

For example, the author calls one routine the "Jaihouse method", and puts into parentheses the words "reverse pyramid". Who hasn't heard of the reverse pyramid method? We used that in the Marine Corps to prep ourselves for pull ups. Sorry, but taking classical training me
James
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read.

Great supplemental information for a strong mind and body. While you are sitting on the couch eating Fritos, bad people are building there bodies as weapons so they can take your possessions and hurt the people you love... what are you going to do about that?
Peter Graef
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Better than a late night fitness commercials! Stories, characters, and fitness information is perfect. Could cancel your gym membership potentially, there is alot here but at worst it does show you how to train simply and outstanding results.
Herbie Behm
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Josh Bryant takes us on a deep-dive into strength training programs developed in prisons and the culture which shaped them. This is education straight from the State Pen, not Penn State so it’s loaded with raw explanations of what works without much worry as to why it works.
Rachel Dows
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book does exactly what it came here to do: make the tough, tougher. And I’m here for it.

If you do not have a “tough guy” or “alpha male” personality, this might not be for you. But if you do, you’ll love it, relate to it, and refer back to it.
Pete Aceves
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Straight to the point

A no bs guide to achieving success. It's a short read that contains mounds of motivation. Take the advice in this book and run with it.
Emolyn
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephens-reads
A Must read!!

Awesome read, really made me rethink the way I think and to have a more positive, successful outlook in order to achieve the same goal when training.
dkgable33
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!!

This is the BIBLE for getting strong!! It is easy to follow. Great job!! Would like to know more about the warriors in the book.
Stijn
Shelves: nonfiction
Tom Carroll
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not Great

This book is filled with workout routines that require minimal to no weight equipment (like you would experience in prison). It started off well. It was interesting to read about inmates who have excelled in powerlifting and understand why/how they gained strength and size under less than ideal training conditions (stressing the importance of sleep and routine in diet). It quickly changed into pages and pages of prison-type workout routines, which is not what I was expecting.
Chris
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a must for every young person who wishes to have a strong, durable, muscular and useful physique.

This is a guide I wish was around 25yrs ago when I was wasting time and money reading those ridiculous muscle mags.

The advice, stories and programs will undoubtedly help you achieve the hard physique you desire if you're willing to put in the work
Christian Anderson
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I heard this author on a podcast and I really liked him. I didn't really connect that well with the book as I'm probably not going to be in prison any time soon and I'm also not looking to become a body builder or join the crips or anything like that. That said, there were a lot of great ideas for exercising at home in limited space which I really liked. ...more
Lewis Manalo
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Fundamentals

This book offers some solid fundamentals, and in an exercise culture always looking for the next flashy routine or diet or Shake Weight, that's a good thing. Advanced athletes may find it too basic.
Varrick Kwang
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Gotta check this out! A must-read for anyone who works out.

The OG book in the jailhouse Strong series, it has a comprehensive lists of workouts, strikes, anecdotes and it really opened my eyes towards more methods of training.
William C
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cool book with great workouts!

This book has a great mix of stories, personal anecdote, and workouts attached. It got me excited to do some pushups!
Kenvil Willis
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not as expected!

Good read, doesn’t exceed my expectations. I was hoping for more details on routines for different workouts. Overall not bad.

Sean
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I love the mentality behind the book and thank the programs in here look pretty good. Star rating is because this is certainly not for everyone
Amsolucky Olali
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to read this book so bad.
Fer Perales
Me tomaría más tiempo escribir una reseña que volver a leer este libro 🤔
Alexander
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the history of physical training in prison and its necessity, but found the writing to be repetitive in parts. Would benefit from more structure our specific training programs.
Chris Healey
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many training systems that get bandied around purportedly revealing the secrets of an archetypal group well known for being big/strong/fit, many of them turn out to be a bit disappointing or simply a skin on something fairly typical.

Jailhouse Strong is actually very satisfying, it’s complete in its context, enjoyable to read & therefore extremely likeable. The language, font.. everything reminded me of those old school bodybuilding magazines that fired me up as a kid.

There’s a variet
Invictus
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book

Great read filled with useful exercises. Only problem I have is the book not including tip for proper form and technique for some exercises
John Patch
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crazy awesome workout plans for those with and without access to a gym.
Thoms
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Good book. Excellent insite
!
Joe
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was pretty good and covered bodyweight routines as well as the basic compound lifts.
It stated that these are the main ways to get big and strong with far less focus on isolation exercises.

Some of the workouts did sound quite interesting such as pyramids, reverse pyramids and using decks of cards so you never know how many reps you need to do next. I think these kind of methods could help keep a workout more interesting, a bit like CrossFit so it is always different.

I will cont
Nia
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not the audience for this book. It contains lots of great ideas, but weak illustrative stories and no research to back them up. I need a little bit more, even though in theory I agree with most of what he writes. Just not for me.
Robert
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book for people who hate gyms

I knew most of the exercises in the book, but learned a few new ones. Well written, but overused analogies throughout. I get it... what works in the slammer also works in the hotel room, cubicle, starbucks counter, my moms basement, etc...
Prince
Well written

Concise and to the point. A pretty good summary of all the mental and success toughness notes out there. Easy read.

• The Code. The Evaluation. The Protocols: Striving to Become an Eminently Qualified Human
  • 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
  • Tactical Barbell: Mass Protocol
  • The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only
  • How to sculpt a Greek God Marble Chest with Push-ups (Bodyweight Bodybuilding Tips Book 1)
  • Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training
  • Tactical Barbell Presents: Ageless Athlete
  • The Wim Hof Method: Own Your Mind, Master Your Biology, and Activate Your Full Human Potential
  • Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister
  • The Simple Six: The Easy Way to Get in Shape and Stay in Shape for the Rest of your Life
  • How to Build Strong & Lean Bodyweight Muscle: A Science-based Approach to Gaining Mass without Lifting Weights
  • The Art of Impossible: A Peak Performance Primer
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life: A Former CIA Officer Reveals Safety and Survival Techniques to Keep You and Your  Family Protected
  • C-Mass: Calisthenics Mass: How to Maximize Muscle Growth Using Bodyweight-Only Training
  • Functional Training and Beyond: Building the Ultimate Superfunctional Body and Mind (Building Muscle and Performance, Weight Training, Men's Health)
  • Way of the Warrior Kid: From Wimpy to Warrior the Navy SEAL Way (Way of the Warrior Kid, #1)
  • When The Grid Goes Down: Disaster Preparations and Survival Gear For Making Your Home Self-Reliant
See top shelves…
Along with ISSA certifications in fitness training, nutrition, and conditioning, Josh has been awarded the prestigious title of Master of Fitness Sciences (MFS). He was also recently named the ISSA Director of Applied Strength and Power Development. In addition to being certified by the NSCA as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) and by NASM as a Performance Enhancement Special ...more