Start by marking “The Vintage Girl” as Want to Read:
The Vintage Girl

The Vintage Girl

When Evie Nicholson is asked to visit Kettlesheer Castle in Scotland to archive the family heirlooms, she jumps at the chance. Evie’s passion for antiques means that, for her, the castle is a treasure trove of mysteries just waiting to be uncovered.

But in each heirloom lies a story, and in the course of her investigations Evie stumbles upon some long-buried family secrets.
Published December 13th 2012 by Quercus (first published February 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Vintage Girl, please sign up.
Suzanne Yes. Was looking for it on amazon.de and was disappointed at first. Then I read the intros of Hester Browne's other novels and discovered that it was…moreYes. Was looking for it on amazon.de and was disappointed at first. Then I read the intros of Hester Browne's other novels and discovered that it was called, "The Vintage Girl" there and downloaded it :-)(less)

Ann
This book centers around Evie, a late-twenties single Londoner who has an affinity for anything old that has a story (especially old photograph frames - with the photographs, and worn and loved teddy bears). Good thing she works for an antique shop!

So, when Evie's clutter-free sister Alice asks Evie to help a friend of a friend who's drowning in debt in their newly inherited Scottish castle, by going up to the castle and assessing the Scottish antiques, Evie finds herself living a dream. Add to
kari
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This was a fun quick read with great characters who think and change during the book, always a plus to me. I loved that Evie was always dreaming of how a man would look in breeches or a top hat or with mutton chop whiskers or driving a carriage. She somewhat lives in a fantasy world and only gets crushes on men who are unattainable for whatever reason. I guess you'd say she has an overactive imagination, but it's fun reading her thoughts. I never felt like telling her to knock it off and I could ...more
Julie
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: found-at-library
Hester Browne is one of my favorite authors whose books I purchase without reading the synopsis. Her writing never disappoints.

Evie is a light-hearted, lovable character with a heart of gold. Her goofy mother (Carol) and sister (Alice) stereotypically try to put the effervescent Evie in her place. While Evie is the collector of anything old, her family are professional purgers. Evie is very definitely a Vintage Girl—both in terms of her love of antiques as well as her romantic notions of love.

Th
Pepper Basham
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute story! I love reading all of the wonderful English lingo and turns-of-phrases. The heroine was quirky and likeable, the hero a true Darcy-like standoffish. Browne adds a cast of nearly-eccentric characters to make a fun read.
Patti TheLoveJunkee
Aaaahhhh! Prepare yourselves for a squee-fest! I could not put Swept Off Her Feet down...

Evie Nicholson is an antiques "finder", she actually works for the dealer. Her problem is that she when she sees an item, she sees not the potential buyer, but the past, imagining who used the item or places it's been. She's in trouble with her boss, Max, for buying a bunch of stuff that he doesn't think will sell. Evie's sister, Alice, and her mother are both minimalistic - they actually make a living doing
Marjorie
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Antiques, a Lovejoy-esque dealer and the Scottish Highlands - realoly what isn't to love about this book. Admittedly I am rather biased having been in the antiques trade myself (yes, the character of Evie's boss is sadly realistic) and being married to a Scot (albeit a Lowlander) but I really did enjoy this book.

Hester Browne's young ladies are all of a certain ilk - upper middle class and not very good with relationships - often, just not very good with people as a whole. Somehow, she manages t
Kathryn
4.5 STARS. Evie loves old wedding photographs, tattered teddy bears, and dreaming of an old-fashioned life far beyond the hustle and bustle of modern-day London and the prosaic demands of her antique dealing boss. Through a connection of her sister's, Evie is swept off to Kettlesheer, a glorious but economically deprived estate in Scotland, to do some antique appraising. Best of all, Evie's sister's boyfriend is the one driving Evie up to Kettlesheer--and Evie has just the teensiest crush on him ...more
Cecilia
True to its title, Swept Off Her Feet will sweep readers off their feet and transport them back to a time where Scottish reels had been used as a form of flirtation and courtship! Hester Browne has outdone herself with this latest release - and she has definitely left me breathless as if I myself danced the entire night away (instead of staying up to finish this book!).

Evie is a girl after my own heart, wrapped up in the beauty of years past, ballgowns and porcelain cups and dancing cards, altho
Kim
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-z-2014, kindle, 2014
I fell in love with this book. Evie works for an antiques dealer - but she falls in love with the history of each item that comes under auction. Her sister finds an estate in Scotland that needs to sell some of their precious items to keep the house in the family.

She sets off to catalogue the items- but again finds personal journals and falls in love with the love story surrounding the house. She stays for a Scottish reel and I loved the parts where she rehearses the dances.

I will definately loo
Holly
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I thought this was a very charming book. Evie was a girl I could relate to, with her love of vintage and the stories behind them. The love story was cute, nothing grand or over the top but just sweet.
Molly
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice, light and fun read. I enjoyed all the chatter about antiques and dancing Scottish reels. Very enjoyable for anyone looking for something fluffy and sweet.
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I had previously read and enjoyed Hester Browne’s novels when I picked up her book The Runaway Princess last year. Knowing how I had enjoyed reading that, I was looking forward to reading The Vintage Girl. The cover is SO gorgeous, I just wanted to stare at it all day, but I had to cut that short in my eagerness to read it!

Evie Nicholson is a lover of antiques, and she has so much passion for them and for the stories behind them. So when she is asked to visit Kettlesheer Castle in Scotland to ar
Mandolin
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-inventory
Evie Nicholson, an antiques dealers' assistant, just knows she was born in the wrong time and place. She belongs in an age where crinoline was the material of choice, gallantry was the rule of thumb and balls were commonplace occurrences. Disappointed with her own family's sad lack of history and romance, she populates her days with fantasies of knightly gentlemen who will sweep her off her feet and indulges her passion for history and romance by hoarding antique treasures that carry their own s ...more
Kirsten Brown
Format: AudioBook
Genre: Chick Lit, Romance, Contemporary

The Vintage Girl By Hester Browne was a bit of a whim purchase for me. I usually love Erotic Romance, but to be honest the 'Vintage' part of the title pulled me in. I love all things vintage, and I loved the look of the cover.

I decided to use my Audible credit to purchase this book and was not disappointed. I loved Cathleen McCarron's voice. She was perfect for the novel.

Evie Nicholson works in a antiques store, and is a bit obsessed wi
Heather
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The Vintage Girl is exactly what it says on the cover. Evie Nicholson works for an antiques dealer in London. Her talent is finding them. Is it for the value? No. It's for the story. And that's why you kind of love her.

In 2014, where vintage is almost synonymous with hipster, Evie is an old romantic. She's more taken with old wedding photos and the stories of generations past than a table with some value. She's in trouble with her boss for impulse buys, and her minimalistic mother and sister kee
Alyssa Goodnight
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I had high expectations for this book, having LOVED The Little Lady Agency series, and it did not disappoint. Ms. Browne had me smiling at page three, and I never stopped. She has such a lovely way with words and can have you feeling sentimental at the same time you're giggling over some hilarious character hijinks. I loved all the characters, but particularly Evie, with Robert running a close second. Evie had this charming little quirk of imagining herself in different periods of history depend ...more
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
First of all, antiques are not my thing so any cultural value was put in this novel was lost to me even if fictional LOL!

The only part of this romance story I loved was the Evie and Robert parts.. The two of them were just so unresistable.. I think if this was all Evie and Robert scenes I would get bored at all.

Loved their conversations especially when they're arguing about his family's heritage which he doesn't believe in its value. And Evie kept pressuring him to think differently. I just love
Maryline M's Bookshelf
This review was first published at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.be

What a wonderful book. Everything from the blurb to the title and cover screamed "read me", and I loved every page of it. Evie is a wonderful, hopeless romantic who dreams her way through life. Until she ends up in this gorgeous Scottish castle where all her dreams and fantasies come to life.
I liked Evie from the very beginning. Hester Browne sketched some beautiful characters and I really enjoyed that she gave her
Amanda Kimball
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What girl doesn't enjoy thinking of fancy balls and dresses? I loved Evie and her fanciful nature. Her perspective and descriptions of the castle, relationships, and antiques were delightful to read. I felt as though I was learning Scottish reels as I was taken through her world. I loved getting to know Violet through her letters, journals, and furniture. It truly connected and centered the reader in the here and now. While there was no true antagonist, there was enough bickering to keep things ...more
Michelle
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I loved it. The Little Lady series and The Finishing Touches were overall better books but this one was still great and it was fun to read Browne's style flavored with a Jane Austin element. The Scottish setting and influence was also an interesting and fun twist. I was especially able to identity with the main character in this book even more so than in her other novels. Browne is a master at making her readers feel like the characters are their real life friends and that they've all been trans ...more
Zuzana
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have read a Hester Browne's book before - The Runaway Princess and I found it a little bit cheesy and too romantic and not so relate able.. But I still enjoy a little bit of romance so I decided to give her a second change and read THE VINTAGE GIRL. It was a little bit of a slow start, but soon enough it grew on me. It got under my skin and wouldn't let go. I have fell under the smell of beautiful scottish highlands and castles, vintage furniture & gorgeous gowns and romantic balls. It was ...more
Rachel C.
The story held within the pages of this book was vastly entertaining and even a bit "magical." It took me a while to get around the "why do I care about antiques?" stance, but my original disinterest put me almost exactly in line with one of the characters other than the heroin (the main perspective) which admittedly pulled me into the story more than anything else. I feel the book was artfully written and I ended up enjoying every moment, even if I didn't realize it until afterwards. This is de ...more
Carrie
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Hester Brown. Her books are frothy, light, escapist, fun, and charming. This British author likes to take a real woman who harkens back to "long-ago" manners and style, and sets her in a modern era. This sweet, innocent book was a warm blanket and mug of cocoa all wrapped in one. I Anyone looking for some lighter fare should give this book a try.
Laurie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff
I would call this a perfect summer read, but who am I kidding? I read books like this all year long. Romantic, far-fetched, not super well-written, but fun nonetheless. It was just the kind of book I needed when I didn't want to think a whole lot, felt emotionally drained, and just wanted an escape. I found it here.
Adriana
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Funny, witty, and engaging are the top things that come to mind after reading this book.
The situation and ending are a bit cliché, but there’s a reason clichés become so. In the hands of a good writer, this particular overused storyline kept me entertained and interested from first to last page.
Jenny Callaway
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the British version which was titled " The Vintage Girl" and couldn't put it down! Basically, Evie and I are twins so I obviously identified with the character. It was a very easy read and I hope to get more titles from this author.
Ciera
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Chicklit" is all the fun of romantic comedies with all the emotion and secondhand nerves and embarrassment of books. A lovely quick read with romance and history, just what I wanted!
Naomi Swan
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cute read
Katie Glowicki
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did not disappoint. Chick Lit at its finest.
Tulika Pal
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I am still a bit swamped with the shade of unreality and magic this book had in it. My head is still reeling from all the shivers and touches and eye-locks and grins and blushes as I imagined Evie in a ball-gown and Robert in his tailcoat, dancing together, looking into each other's eyes.

I think, at one point, I started imagining MYSELF as Evie and playing the dialogues out...loud because my mother looked very confused when she interrupted my freak show.

Hester Browne...I didn't know wher

• With a Little Luck
  • Irish Lady
  • Party Girl
  • More Than Love Letters
  • Scrumptious (Sexy Chefs, #1)
  • If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now
  • Catching Alice
  • Fires of Winter (Tales of Jernaeve, #2)
  • Stately Pursuits
  • Pug Hill
Hester Browne was born in England's Lake District, read English at Trinity College, Cambridge, and worked as a fiction editor before leaving publishing to write full time. She enjoys Scottish reeling, driving, baking, and trawling eBay for estate sale bargains. She doesn't enjoy hot weather, tax returns, or any talent programme where people have to plead to be allowed to juggle flaming chainsaws o ...more
“It was the casual rudeness that spoke of a long, long British male friendship.” 0 likes