Jump to ratings and reviews

Ready #3

Ready for You

A lifetime ago, he was my world.
But then I ran, and swore I’d never return.
Never is a long time.

Growing up, it was never a matter of if when it came to Garrett Finnegan-- but when.
From the moment I met him, I knew I’d met my perfect match. My soulmate.

In a split second decision, however, I let that perfectly paved future of ours slip away, and I said goodbye with nothing more than a hastily written note, stained with my tears.

It’s been eight years since I’ve been back.

Eight years since I’ve faced the consequences of that decision.

Eight years since I’ve felt his lips on mine.

They say everyone deserves a second chance, but how could I seek forgiveness knowing the truth of what happened all those years ago will only destroy us in the end?

307 pages, ebook

First published May 25, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

J.L. Berg

27 books2,236 followers
J.L. Berg is the USA Today bestselling author of the Ready series, the Walls duet and the Lost & Found series. She is a California native living in the beautiful state of historic Virginia. Married to her high school sweetheart, they have two beautiful girls that drive them batty on a daily basis. When she's not writing, you will find her cuddled up, watching a movie with her family, obsessing over minions or devouring anything chocolate! J.L. Berg is represented by Jill Marsal of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency, LLC.

VIST MY AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE! http://amzn.to/2plf54L

FIND ME ON FACEBOOK! https://www.facebook.com/authorjlberg/

STALK ME ON INSTAGRAM!

!http://bit.ly/2r0CRzp

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
68 (2%)
1 star
13 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 233 reviews
Profile Image for Rachel.
636 reviews38 followers
December 7, 2014
Overall rating: 4 stars!!!

Triggers:
Cheating:
Love triangle:
Sex with om/ow:

My review:

This was a sweet story about second chances!! Mia and Garrett were high school sweethearts. The moment Garrett saw Mia, he knew that she was it for him. When she leaves him with nothing but a note after their high school graduation, he is absolutely crushed. What I liked about this story the most was like unlike most heroes I read about in second chance love stories (which makes me scared to read them sometimes) is that Garrett did not just start being a total slut. You find out in the very beginning that not only were there very few women that he has slept with in this 8 year period, but he has never been able to be in another relationship because Mia is it for him. Had he known where she was or had the means to find her, he wouldn't have been with anyone else at all. Garrett simply spent most of his time focusing on school and work and leaving his love life on the back burner. He couldn't stand for another woman to touch him who wasn't Mia.

Mia is the reason I gave this story 4 stars. I could never really understand why she kept her secrets for so long AND not to mention even longer once she reconnected with Garrett. I didn't understand how she let him keeping thinking what she left in her note was true. I get it to some extent - when you are young, you can be stupid. But the love they had was so pure, if anyone could have dealt with everything it would have been Garrett.

Once Garrett sees Mia again, it's like his whole world shifts on it's axis. But when he realizes she wants to run from him again he is hurt. That is not how he imagined their reconnection going at all. He does spend a little time fighting his feelings. He loves her so much but he knows he should hate her for what she did. He just can't. I felt like Garrett was a wonderful hero. If I was him, given what he thought Mia did, I don't know if I would have ever been able to forgive her. Mia finally did grow on me though and I enjoyed their story. I also enjoyed seeing Logan, Clare, Leah and Declan again. And of course all the kiddos. Liv was a good side character as well. I can't wait to read the next installment!! :)
Profile Image for Myerz24.
94 reviews11 followers
August 1, 2014
Aaarrrggghhhhh!! I am so frustrated with this book!! It feels like it was written by a different author. This was almost a DNF but I gave it a chance because its by JL Berg and I am sure there is a valid explanation for everything. But I was sorely mistaken. I hated Mia...i hate her for what she did to Garrett. I hated her because I had such high hopes that she'd come through or that she would be able to redeem herself at least to me. I cant understand why they danced around the issue..they did not want to talk about it. Theres too much angst, too many unanswered question!!! I just dont get it! I know she regrets what she did or feels responsible for it but how can she be so oblivious as to the effect that it did to Garrett. I also think that Garrett is such a masochist for him to get back with her without hashing it out with her and talking about why she left. And even after they got back together she still has some secrets that she kept from Garrett...I mean what the hell?! Isnt the heartache you did to Garrett not enough?! If she just talked to him....that was it. He doesnt deserve her. Now im hesistant to read the next book because I know theyll both be there especially her. I dont think ive ever been this hateful of a lead character...I usually hate the antagonists but thats understandable. Im still upset..i had such high hopes.
With that I just breezed through the book.
But this caught my attention:
“You’ve got to stop waiting for him to come to you and go get him, Mia,” Leah said.
I blew my nose for the tenth time. So attractive.
“I can’t. What if he throws me out?”

I really wanted to smack her. After hurtinf him again you're scared to be thrown out?! So what?! You were at fault!! If you could have just admitted everything after he took you back without any kind of apology for running before.
All if her reasoning is because she's scared he she wont be accaptable to him, scared that he'll blame her. Coward, weak and selfish thats what she is. I dont even know why her friends, Liv, Leah and Clare, tolerated her.
I know I'm rambling..but thats what I feel for this book.
Profile Image for Mara De Guzman.
455 reviews
June 6, 2014
4.5 Always Meant For You Stars!
ARC received for an honest review
Review on behalf of Give Me Books

Ahhh! I love second-chance romances, I really do. Especially when there’s years after in between their love story. Garrett and Mia’s journey to their happily ever after is one of those you’ll feel like you were watching it on screen -- vivid and raw.

High school sweethearts and with clear plans for the future, Garrett and Mia thought their love for each other would surpass every bump and insecurities they’ll face. Well, it does… but only years after. Then, what they felt was unbreakable, shattered overnight. Mia’s decisions ruined their well thought out plan for college and their future life together. Garrett was left hurt, confused, angry, and yet still holding out hope that Mia will come to her senses and go back to him.

It didn’t happen.
Until 8 years later.
And she didn’t even exactly come back in town for him.

A chance meeting at the market, Garrett saw the love of his life, his “the one that got away”, again. Awkwardness, hesitation, and the love they buried deep for each other started resurfacing… slowly but surely. They tried to be friends, went back to hurting each other emotionally, fought their love and affection for each other, but we do know love always wins right? What is beautiful about Ready For You is the journey to that happily ever after that these two characters deserve.

One character who is tough on the outside but miserable on the inside and one who is crushed and doubtful on the outside but spirited on the inside, they complement each other perfectly.

I absolutely love that this book has dual POVs (this is my first book from the series, yes, I know I’m weird) because it made understanding both characters easier, it made me feel for both of them at the same and with issue that Garrett and Mia faced, and is still facing, having both characters talk about what they are thinking and feeling at a particular scene makes it effortless to sympathize with them.

Ready For You kept me thinking and guessing what the heck Mia was thinking doing what she did. J.L. Berg built the secret and had it carry on throughout the book. When I realized of my guesses could be the answer, I already felt devastated. I was almost sure that that was it. No more redeeming Mia for me. But then when I got to the full story… wow. I’m glad I was wrong but then I also felt sad about it especially for Garrett. Yet, for every hurt that they’ve experienced, apart and together, they have been blessed a thousand fold more with their families and friends’ support.

Reading the others’ own family lives and glimpses of their personalities in Garrett and Mia’s story now makes me want to know about them too from the first books in this series. Very well done, J.L. Berg!

Stars: 4.5 stars!
Recommended to: Second-chance romance lovers who want to feel what it’s like to forgive the past and move on to the future.
POV: First person. Dual POV.
Series: Yes. But stand-alone.
Cliffhanger: No.

Profile Image for J.
2,909 reviews38 followers
October 1, 2016
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars. An enjoyable book about 2nd chances that probably could have been easily solved at the 1st chance but then we wouldn't get this book. Mia runs out on soulmate boyfriend (and fiancé) Garrett after their high school graduation ceremony (and a wedding proposal that she accepted). Turns out there was a secret between Mia and Garrett (think vomiting every morning in the high school bathroom) which Mia's manipulative mom persuades Mia to "take care of" before Mia ruins Garrett's life and mom's reputation.

Skip to several years later and Mia returns to her home town. She is unhappy, torn up with guilt and no baby in tow.

She and Garrett meet up again and it is a slow process for them to reconnect. He is angry that she would leave and make such a big decision without him. Can he forgive her? Can she forgive herself? A nice story that I did enjoy reading.
Profile Image for Dali.
1,748 reviews433 followers
June 27, 2014
It’s angry, angsty, achingly sad and then it’s adorable, romantic and sinfully sexy. J.L. gave me a toothache with this book’s sweetness and puffy eyes with its tear jerking moments.
“She was my world, and I couldn’t wait to spend the rest of my life with her”

Until she left him, that is. Second chances by definition mean that there was a first chance. And with second chance romances, there’s usually a regretful event that prevents the couple from having their happy from that point on.

So when Garrett and Mia unexpectedly run into each other after eight years, their first reaction isn’t of the warm fuzzies. At least, not on the outside. All sorts of feelings are experienced: fear, lack of trust, shame, a blocked communication channel and plenty of misinterpretations and unanswered questions.

But there’s also deep seated love, attraction and the promise of what could be a great future. But only if they’re able to face the music or rather, face the decisions Mia made in the past in order to put it behind them and be able to enjoy a future together.

The book had my heart racing with a multitude of emotions. I adored getting to know them through flashbacks at different stages of their relationship. I enjoyed reading about the gang, especially Leah. Who was not just present but also playing Nurse Cupid. Mia and Garrett’s love and attraction was at once scorching and painful. Because it was blatantly present, but they were also obviously fighting it not wanting to get irrevocably hurt.
“She’d betrayed me, betrayed us. No matter how much my heart and body still wanted her, I could never forget that.”

My only complaint were Mia’s decisions. Some past and some present. They frustrated me to the point where I felt she was a weak heroine.
“What had I done to this man? Had I really thought this would be better? No answers, no closure had turned into just anger and lost hopes. I’d done this.”

“Once again, the only obstacle in the way of my own happiness was myself.”

But eventually they’ll have to face their fears, retrace their tears in order to achieve their dreams of a happy future.
“I can’t seem to move forward in my life without you in it… But the difference now is that I want to. I want to forgive you. Let me try.”

I loved it and can’t wait for the next one!

For more of my reviews and those of my best book buds, and updates Visit our blog
Stalk us on FaceBook
As well as Twitter
Profile Image for ~ Becs ~.
709 reviews2,100 followers
October 29, 2014
 photo readyforyoucasting_zps1d712bbc.jpg

I’m very happy to report that JL Berg very much delivers on the promise hinted at in the previous book. Ready For You is every big as sexy, angsty and charming as we’ve come to expect from this author and it’s another heart-felt and emotional romance – a great addition to the Ready series.

So, Garrett and Mia were High School sweethearts and very much in love and planning to spend the rest of their lives together. They had a secret which they were about to share with their families on Graduation Day when, suddenly, Mia leaves town and leaves a heart-breaking Dear John letter for Garrett. Garrett is devastated and changes the entire course of his life and never really gets over the loss of Mia. As we’ve seen in the previous books in the series, Garrett has been merely existing, living his life on auto-pilot and never really living. This is a truly heartbroken man.

I adored Garrett and really felt his pain and it was fabulous to watch his re-awakening during the course of Ready For You – this man really does slowly come back to life after Mia arrives back in town. Of course, he’s wary – he doesn’t understand her reasons for leaving and isn’t sure he can forgive her for what he thinks she’s done but he can’t stay away from her. That unrelenting chemistry they once shared has never gone away and is as strong now as it was in High School

Mia is also a broken woman – she’s tried very hard to make a life for herself in the intervening years but she’s also never come close to that special connection she once shared with Garrett all those years ago and now, arriving back in town, one look and she’s hooked once more.

I so enjoyed Ready For You – it’s an emotional roller-coaster of a ride as Garrett and Mia tread an uneasy path as they slowly work back towards trust and understanding. It’s a slow journey, beautifully paced with plenty of obstacles to overcome and plenty of sexy times. Garrett is very alpha and Mia fires up all his protective instincts and it’s wonderful to watch how he slowly finds he can once again no longer resist Mia.

This is a fabulous second chance love story of healing, forgiveness and, finally, acceptance – another winner from JL Berg and another great story for the Ready series.

4.5 second chance stars
Profile Image for Jennifer.
1,977 reviews82 followers
May 28, 2014
**A complimentary copy was provided by the author for blog tour**

Amazon Buy Link--->> Ready for You (The Ready Series)

~~ 5 "Never Ending Love" Stars ~~

I LOVE this series!!!! Ready for You is book three in JL Berg's Ready Series. I have loved this series from the beginning with Clare and Logan's story and then when we got Leah and Declan's story. I was thrilled to know we would be getting a story about Garrett. When I met Garrett in the other books, I just knew he had a story to tell and that it would be a good one. Garrett and Mia's story is a story about second chances, but it is so much more than that. This is a story about consequences, fear, redemption, forgiveness, and learning to let go of the past and finding your future. This was also a story about unconditional love.

"Life was a balancing act. Sometimes, there were moments that tipped the scales, and we found ourselves walking in shadows, but as long as we had those who loved us, we'd always find the light again."….Mia

This book was flawless in my opinion. I love JL Berg's writing style. She creates a story that makes you feel everything her characters are feeling. This book/series has everything a 5 star read should have. Ready for You is a book that will have your emotions going all over the place. You will smile, laugh, swoon, cry and even yell a little bit. But isn't that what we all look for in a 5 star read??? This story is told from both Garrett and Mia's POV and it is told in the present time with flashbacks to the past and what happened between the two characters 8 years ago. I thought the transitions between present and past were written very smoothly. It flowed effortlessly. I never felt confused or that I was missing out on anything. I also thought the pacing of the story was great. JL didn't rush the reunion but she also didn't drag it out so that you were left waiting for most of the book. I truly could go on and on about this book, but I would say you really need to read this book.

Like I said earlier….I was truly drawn to Garrett in the other books and this book just made falling for him that much easier. He was totally swoon worthy. (although I have to say all the men in this series are truly swoony) Garrett was a broken soul and my heart broke for him. I loved watching him grow into a better person as the book went on. I loved watching him learn to open himself up again and learning how to forgive and move past the past and fight for the future he wanted with Mia. Let me just say that the road to their happiness was not an easy one. They both had many hurdles to overcome. Mia was a great character also. I really liked her. I thought she handled a tough situation in the best way she knew how at her young age. She was a child who was ruled by her mother. Her mother was awful both in the past and in the present. I do have to say I was glad that as the story of her past comes to light in the book, I was glad to see that things weren't what I had originally thought they were. Mia proved that she wanted to live her own life and that she was stronger then she gave herself credit for. I loved watching her love for Garrett and his love for her rekindle and flourish into something really special.

"I love you, Mia. I loved you when we were barely old enough to know what true love was. I loved you when you let me, and I've loved you every day since. No matter what happens in our lives, that will be the one constant. I will always love you."….Garrett

We do get to see the past characters in this book. Logan, Clare, Leah and Declan are all accounted for and I thought that was fabulous. I was surprised at the huge role that Leah took in this book. She ended up being such a huge support system for both Mia and Garrett. I was happy that we got to see what all these characters were up to after each of their books. We also were introduced to Liv (Mia's BFF) I liked her a lot. She had spunk and was sassy ;) She is getting her own book in October and I am excited to see how love changes her!!!!

My final thought to everyone is that you definitely need to read this book/series. If you love a second chance love story, then this is one you NEED to read!!!!

For more reviews go to Book Bitches Blog
Profile Image for Kara.
1,262 reviews18 followers
October 19, 2015
I am enjoying this series. I read this book cover to cover while I couldn't sleep last night. It fully had my attention. Loved the characters.
Profile Image for Staci Bailey.
56 reviews1 follower
June 8, 2014
**THIS BOOK DESERVES SIX ORGASMIC STARS**

WARNING: When reading a book written by J.L. Berg, you MUST make sure you have the following items: A FULLY CHARGED E-READER, TISSUES AND BATTERIES (come on, ladies…do I really need to explain that one?).

J. L. Berg is one of the most talented people I know. If you’ve followed my reviews then you already know how gifted she is. Her debut novel was a beautifully written, emotional story and everything she has written since is just as amazing. I’ve told her many times that her stories are so incredible that they would be five star reads even WITHOUT all the mind-blowing, realistic love scenes. I DID tell you to stock up on batteries, didn’t I?

In the previous books, we were briefly introduced to the elusive but sexy Garrett “Goober” Finnegan, Clare’s brother. We learned that the fun, carefree, little brother Clare and Leah were used to turned into an overworked, distant shell of a man. In Ready for You, we get to find out exactly what happened to make him that way. Ready for You is the story of Garrett and Mia, “the one that got away”, or in this case, “the one that RAN away”.

Eight years ago, the day before their high school graduation, Garrett proposed to Mia and she said yes. They had big plans: get married, go to college together, fix up a house, raise their children and live happily ever after. One minute they were blissfully happy and the next, she was gone. No one knew where she was. The only thing he had to remind him of her was the heartbreaking note she left telling him it was over. So Garrett went to college. Alone. He gave up on the dreams they had shared and instead, he became the opposite of everything he’d ever hoped for.

For eight years, Garrett walked around like a robot; working ridiculous hours at a job he despised, keeping himself busy so that he didn’t have time to think of the blue eyed, brunette girl who ran away with his heart. Every night he dreamed of her. Every day he pretended she didn’t exist. No matter what he did, his heart was waiting for her….

For eight years, Mia walked around doing the same; working a job she despised, keeping herself busy so that she didn’t have to think about the tall, dark, perfect man she had to leave behind. When Mia left Richmond, Virginia, she took nothing. She walked away from her trust fund and everyone she had ever known and began a new life. A life she hated. A life she was stuck in…until she wasn’t. When her new life gets turned upside down, she drives right back into her old one. No matter how hard she tried to stay away, her heart wants him….

When one chance encounter brings them face to face, everything changes.

Two people. Two broken hearts. A second chance.

Will Garrett and Mia let go of the past and have a future? Or is the secret Mia has been keeping enough to destroy Garrett’s heart forever?

Garrett and Mia are coming. Get READY. Because this book is so powerful you will be reduced to this:

Profile Image for Evette.
843 reviews45 followers
May 31, 2014
Love this series. Garrett and Mia's story doesn't disappoint. Full review closer to release date

Oh my poor heart! First I have to admit that JL is my writer crack. Truly– love her female characters, strong, sassy (yay) and funny..Leah, I am looking at you! Then there are her men….oh Logan and Declan…you had my heart…then broody, passionate, broken Garrett came along…and I may have forgotten your names! Good thing all of you are in Ready For You to support my Garrett.

This book had me all over the place- crying, laughing and deep, deeeeeep sighing. What happens when your first love is the one? Even when they were young Garrett and Mia were good together. Sweet, loving and best friends. When they are forced apart- bad choices, fear and sadness- they both just stop. Neither are able to heal, mainly due to them both needing the other one. But the past may be too big for either of them to overcome.

Having to move past all of the pain, while dealing with their current world- get your tissues ready. The cemetery, Garrett and Clare’s dad, Aidan (grrrr) and the secrets that have become the reality of Mia’s life- just so much.

The attraction is incredible, even with both of them trying to be only friends…yeah right.

Both Mia and Garrett are genuine, flawed characters. Both have made mistakes, but trying to find their way forward, hopefully together.

Love that Declan is the voice of reason- after food of course!

And the Finnegan family wins again- bringing Mia into the fold!

This series just gets better and better. The character development is perfect. The writing flows and takes the reader along on an emotional journey that is honest and painful, but so damn rewarding. Second chance at first love, reuniting with your other half, healing and finding forgiveness. Getting back to where you belong, after too many detours, just beautiful.
Profile Image for Mary.
476 reviews2 followers
December 15, 2014
As with the other Ready books by J. L. Berg I truly loved this one. The story of Garret and Mia, says that the one true love of your life can get you through any thing and get you any where. I cried and I giggled with these characters that Mrs. Berg has so brilliantly put on paper. I was so wrapped up in their lives, their pain, sorrow, love and joys. She has a way of pulling you into them and making you feel that pain and joy, you will shed a tear. Love and loss is in every day life, get this book and enjoy another wonderful story by a wonderful author who puts her very own heart into her work. Keep writing Sweetie, You have a Gift.
Profile Image for Anna.
538 reviews2 followers
August 1, 2015
As much as I loved the first two books in the Ready series, especially #1, this one was not a favorite. Everything I loved in the first two - adult communication, no secrets, no running - seemed to be missing here. There were secrets and anger but they were just ignored, overlooked for awhile?! It just didn't make sense. The two MCs were ok. I didn't love them or dislike them although Mia was borderline annoying. Disappointed in this story as I had such high hopes based on 1 and 2 that I loved.
Profile Image for Anas Attic  Book Blog.
1,307 reviews650 followers
April 16, 2017
Ready for You JL Berg
Ready for You by J.L. Berg
Contemporary Romance. 3rd in the Ready Series of stand alones.
Ready%20for You" target="_blank">Ready for You is the third book in The Ready Series by JL Berg, a series I have absolutely loved from the start. Emotional and hot, JL Berg sure knows how to write a good story. Her characters are so well developed that you can't help but feel the feelings the characters feel. If you haven't read When%20You're Ready" target="_blank">When You're Ready and Never%20Been Ready" target="_blank">Never Been Ready, they are absolute favorites of mine and I highly recommend them. But they aren't necessary to read before Ready%20for You" target="_blank">Ready for You.

We met Garrett in the previous two books, but we didn't know much about him except that he completely buried himself in his work and had no social life. We get a glimpse that it may be because of his ex, Mia, but we don't know the details. Ready For You is Garrett and Mia's story.

Garrett and Mia were high school sweethearts. More than the typical high school couple, they were for keeps, and even got engaged at graduation. Until Mia just up and left, only leaving a note. 8 years later, Garrett still refuses to have a life, still dreaming about the woman who ran away all those years ago.
"Mia wasn't some teenage crush. She was the one, and I'd spent my entire adult life trying to convince my heart otherwise--without any luck."

Mia spent eight years punishing herself for decisions she made and blamed herself for when she was but a child.
"I briefly touched the spot on my left hand, now ringless and empty. "I didn't change my mind about him."
"Then why did you run?"
"I didn't deserve him."
I still didn't.

8 years later, and Mia is running from her life again. But this time, she runs back home. And for the first time in 8 years, she bumps into Garrett again. This time he is all man, and she is all woman. The physical attraction is there, stronger than ever, but the issues are big. Can he ever trust her again? Can she let go of the self punishment and let him love her?
"Despite the fact that I blamed her for the hell of my existence, I still craved her like no other. I was at war with my own emotions and I had no idea which side would eventually win."-Garrett

"What had I done to this man? Had I really thought this would be better? No answers, no closure had turned into just anger and lost hopes. I'd done this.
It was just another reason he deserved so much more. ~Mia

Though J.L. Berg writes stories with a shit ton of emotions (bring tissues!) you may want to have tissues on hand for ahem...other reasons too.
"Tell me who you want, Mia," he demanded as his fingers danced across my clit."

"Now ride my face, Mia"

"You want me to fuck you on the counter Mia?"
"Then tell me," I demanded.

I loved this second chance at love story. I loved seeing Garrett come to life again. I loved seeing the characters from the previous stories, and Leah again provided comedy relief. I loved Mia's best friend Liv. But I never fell completely in love with Mia. I didn't understand her reasoning for staying away so long and for wanting to keep pushing him away. I liked her, but I was missing the full-on love I have felt for JL's other female leads. I did, however, love Garrett. Mmmmm, alpha controlling Garrett was hot.

Likes:

•I love second chance love stories.
•Seeing Garrett come to life again.
•Visiting with the characters from the first two books.
•I really liked Mia's BFF Liv (I think her book is coming!)
•That it took time for the couple to find their way back.
•I liked the pacing of the story. There was no rushing.
•Watching Garrett heal.
•Hot alpha sex.
•Story is told from both Mia and Garrett's POV with flashbacks and it flowed well. There was rarely a time that I wasn't sure who I was reading.

Dislikes:

•I never fully understood Mia's reason fro leaving and staying away so long and it bothered me that she couldn't forgive her young self.
•It almost felt like the author changed something at the last minute to take the more socially acceptable route, which I actually completely understand with the way things are with bullies and such, I just wish the riskier path were taken. I would have understood and appreciated Mia's plight more.

Rating: 4.25 Stars 4.25 heat

stars_4quarter

Flame_FOURone copy

Because I am comparing Ready for You to the other two in the series, I lowered the star rating a little. As much as I loved it, it wasn't my favorite of the series. JL's writing was amazing, her characters are real and relatable and her guys are totally swoon worthy. Part of my love for this series stems from the fact that all of the characters are older. This is the youngest couple, and it had a little more of a New Adult feel because of the flashbacks. I also just never fully understood Mia's guilt and thoughts that she didn't deserve Garrett. Still, this was another wonderful read from JL Berg that I totally recommend, and I can't wait for more from her.
"I love you, Mia. I loved you when we were barely old enough to know what true love was. I loved you when you left me, and I've loved you every day since. No matter what happens in our lives, that will be the one constant. I will always love you."~Garrett

Purchase Ready for You by JL Berg
Ready%20for You" target="_blank">Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | BN.com

Covers click to Amazon

See my review for When You're Ready (One of my top reads of 2013)See my review for Never Been Ready (One of my tops picks so far this year)

Read more of my reviews and sale and free lists at Ana's Attic Book Blog and please join my Facebook page with sales, freebies and giveaways daily!
Profile Image for Svenja.
884 reviews52 followers
April 5, 2018
J.L. Berg bleibt ihrem Stil treu. Auch der dritte Teil ist sehr romantisch und emotional - so wie ich es mag.

Die ersten beiden Teile der Reihe habe ich geliebt. Besonders weil die Protagonisten so unwahrscheinlich sympathisch waren. In dem dritten Teil wurde ich ein wenig enttäuscht. Mit Mia kam ich überhaupt nicht klar. Ich habe sie als sehr widersprüchlich und anstrengend wahrgenommen und konnte nicht verstehen, warum Garrett ihr so hinterherläuft.

Gott sei Dank haben aber auch die Charakteren aus Teil 1 und 2 wieder ihren Platz in der Geschichte gehabt und es war immer wieder eine Freude von diesen bezaubernden Pärchen zu lesen.

Insgesamt fehlte der Story der Wortwitz, den ich aus den vorherigen Büchern gewohnt bin. Die Geschichte kommt so sehr trocken und fast langweilig rüber.

Das Buch ist sehr nette Unterhaltung für zwischendurch, kommt aber einfach nicht an die beiden Vorgänger ran...
Profile Image for Rebecca.
2,819 reviews141 followers
June 1, 2014
Ready for you to…

come home

let go of the anger

leave the past behind

heal

forgive

It’s been eight years since Mia Emerson left Garrett Finnegan with nothing more than a note goodbye. Eight years where Garrett has done nothing but survive, throwing himself into his work and his family. Eight years without answers to why Mia left. And then one day, Mia returns, and Garrett’s need to breathe her in again and reclaim her consumes him, but can he get past the pain, the anger, and the secrets and truly forgive, or will it be too much to overcome and leave them both wishing they could change the past?

Second chance love stories are some of my favorite to read, so I knew I would enjoy Ready for You. The flashbacks provided clearly establish Garrett and Mia’s love for one another and what they were willing to do to be together, so readers are just as stumped as Garrett about why everything in one night so drastically changed. J.L. captures the pain felt by both characters early on in the story, and as Mia’s secrets and the reasons why she left and stayed away are revealed, readers can’t help but feel heartbroken for both of them. The conflicted feelings Garrett has for reuniting with Mia are realistically portrayed, and even though I wanted to strangle him with the mixed signals he was sending her, I didn’t blame him for closing himself off at times. Mia isn’t the strongest heroine, but I think that’s what draws me to her. She’s a fragile woman stuck in the past because she’s never truly released the anguish and heartache inside of her. Everything has been just as hard for her as it has been for Garrett, but she doesn’t see herself as the victim that she truly is; she sees herself as the horrible person who broke the heart of the only man she’s ever loved, and she doesn’t think she’s worthy of a second chance with him. Getting Garrett and Mia’s story through both of their perspectives truly illustrates what they go through as they try to stop looking in the past and start looking at what the future might hold if they set themselves free from the pain and bitterness of what happened all those years ago.

J.L Berg’s Ready Series is romance at its finest. Each story draws readers in from the very beginning because the characters are well developed, and the story builds throughout the entire text. J.L. does a great job of allowing readers to feel and understand the emotions of her characters, and I love the fact that we are able to catch up with the main characters from the earlier texts – to be able to continue with their stories and see where their lives have gone makes this series that much better. Bring on Liv’s story!

A complimentary copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 poison apples (The Fairest of All Book Reviews)
Profile Image for Cocktails and Books.
4,065 reviews313 followers
June 6, 2014
I have been waiting for Garrett's story. We met him in in sister, Clare's, book and you knew there was a story behind the quiet, sullen man. There was a reason, in the form of high school sweetheart Mia, but as everything unfolds, we discover two people who were meant to be together and were caught up in things beyond their control.

I couldn't help but love Garrett. When his character was first introduced, I had this need to hug him. Despite not wanting to open up to people and generally pushing them away, you saw his underlying sadness and knew something had happened to fundamentally change this guy. But the moment he lays eyes on Mia again, you completely understand what happened to him. Despite what he thinks, he isn't the only one that was ripped apart by what happened. When Mia was forced to leave him on their graduation night, she left behind the only man she'd ever loved. But when she lost her tie to him, she lost a huge chunk of herself.

Following the two of them as they navigate through getting reacquainted with each other and helping each other through loss is hard. Their emotions tends to leap off the page, whether it's hurt, anger, lust or their undying love for each other. You could sympathize with both of the characters and just wanted them to figure out how to work around what happened to them at eighteen and be happy together.

I've enjoyed all the books in this series. The author finds a way to pull readers into the story and place you smack dab in the middle of whatever emotional turmoil they find themselves in. The characters are real and keep you in their grasp until the very last page.
Profile Image for Melanie Codina.
Author 11 books367 followers
May 20, 2014
I was fortunate to receive an Advanced copy of Ready for You from Ms. Berg, and I am so glad that I did.

Even though I've read the previous two books in the series and was a big fan of both. I have to say that Ready for You was my favorite. Right from the beginning, I was hooked.
By the end of the prologue, Ms. Berg had me experiencing a variety of emotions. I went from happy and smiling to anxious and desperate. My need to know what happened, what could happen, and why, fueled my desperation and had me clawing at the pages to get answers.

The scenes are vividly detailed in a way that I could actually see form in my mind, and the emotions the characters experienced jumped off the pages as if they were my own.

The storyline was believable, unpredictable, original and 100% relatable. It had me engaged from page one until the journey was over and though it left me thoroughly satisfied, it left me wanting more from the group of friends we've read about.

Ready for You is an engaging story of love, sacrifice, and triumph from pain that will have you rooting for Garrett and Mia the whole way.

A definite must read.
Profile Image for Nicola.
1,393 reviews241 followers
June 3, 2014
The third book in the Ready series belongs to Claire's brother Garrett's Finnegan. And from the glimpses we got in Leah and Declan's story, his unhappiness was evident.

And I loved him. Sarcastic and witty he wears his heart on his sleeve. Mia broke his heart and this has shaped the man he has become yet he accepts this and his feelings. Mia has never forgiven herself for running, but as her reasons for doing so become clear, it is understandable but when they bump into one another all their feelings, from anger to love resurface.

Whilst it did have an air of predictability and I did largely suss out why Mia left Garrett, it still held a couple of heartbreaking surprises, making for another emotional addition. It is a wonderful journey of acceptance, realisation, trust, love and pain; J. L. Berg has a gift of bringing characters and journeys to become invested in and it is a book and a series I recommend.
Profile Image for Kristi.
842 reviews10 followers
April 18, 2015
I really liked how this one was written with alternating POV within the same chapter. POV changes would occur mid scene but without overlap to allow being in both main character's heads. IT was very well done with flashback memories weaved through to tell the tale of past and present.

This second chance romance had all the feels, and any story that can make me sob twice is a winner. Beautiful romance, strong characters, superbly written. Highly recommend entire series, but can be read as a stand alone.
Profile Image for Lyndy Ann ♫.
670 reviews
April 11, 2016
What a turbulence relationship Mia and Garrett have trying to get over a painful past and moving on with the future not an easy journey for either of them. A very emotional story and I like that the story is told from both POV's OH YEAH and Garrett is HOT. Nice having the gang back together as well. Loving this series.
Profile Image for Joyce Dobson.
715 reviews
May 9, 2015
Just finished the box set of the first 3 books of this series. I can't believe I had this series on my kindle for so long before finally reading it. Every book has been a 5***** read for me. Lovely stories and characters and once picked up I couldn't put each book down till it was finished. Well worth reading and I'd highly recommend them.
Profile Image for TJ.
141 reviews3 followers
August 3, 2017
Ohhhhh, angst aplenty, color me excited. After 307 pages, color me RED. Furious RED that I picked up this book. I struggled to reconcile with its inadequacy, but decided to finish it because I was waiting for that moment that would redeem this pile of (insert your choice of expletive here).
Rating: ANGRY RED!
Profile Image for Tangerine.
642 reviews1 follower
June 1, 2014

4 ★s

I loved this! This was, by far, my favorite in the series. I love the characters, loved the storyline, and I just love this family. I will definitely be continuing on with the series and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Profile Image for K.
211 reviews59 followers
August 18, 2014
I received an ARC from the author through facebook during a giveaway. Sending thanks out!

I found this to be a sweet story. It was a little bit too "fluffy" of a read for me which is why I rated it the way I did. But I generally liked it.
2,004 reviews24 followers
March 5, 2018
First read for me for this author. Loved each and every one them. Well written and kept me engaged each storyline.

Another author to add to my favourites list.
Profile Image for Laters.
363 reviews
May 27, 2014
absolutely loved it! I am so happy that Garrett and Mia found their HEA!
Profile Image for Toni.
283 reviews
February 14, 2021
5/5 Stars for Garrett! Garrett is the broody, work alcoholic that was introduced briefly with the first two books. Now we finally have his story and I am in love.

8 years ago everything changed. Fate brought Mia back to VA. Garrett became a work alcoholic because he was addicted to the pain relief. Mia and Garrett are soulmates. When they met at the farmer's market, that was only the beginning of them going back home to each other. The tattoo Garrett, got "Until then" means so much for their relationship. When Garrett experiences the loss of his father, he is reminded of the meaning of love. He realized that he never stopped loving Mia, because he is unable to spend time without her. When he found her again, it was like finding a missing puzzle piece. Just like the house that Mia lives in, her relationship with Garrett is a fixer upper. Love is constant. They are dealing with their past, living in the present and preparing for the future together.
Profile Image for Night Runner.
1,330 reviews26 followers
August 19, 2021
2.75 Stars for me!

My rating range throughout the story... 1.5 - 3 Stars

Main Character Ratings... H = 6/10 - h = 3/10

Scenes with heat.. There are a few

Heat Rating... 6/10
Clean - 1 or 2
Descriptive Sex - 5 or above
Beyond Descriptive Sex - 8 or above

The back story... H/h date in HS and decide to marry after graduation. Immediately after graduation, the h runs away and stays away for 8 years. The reasoning is slowly divulged throughout the story.

The Romance... I only saw obsession by the H. The h refused to communicate and was only honest when forced.

The drama explosion... A guy the h was seeing tracks her down. This creates issues with the H.

Final Notes... This story is 60% angst and immaturity. The h is the definition of doormat and jackrabbit rolled into one. Something freaks her out run. Communication will make life easier for all, double down on not talking. I wanted to pull my hair out I got so frustrated.

HEA or HFN? HFN
Profile Image for Kimberly Morehouse.
565 reviews31 followers
November 5, 2021
While I loved the first 2 books in this series so much, this on fell short for me. This was Garrett and Mias story. I was so annoyed by the push and pull, the severe lack of communication and the sheer ignorance of feelings by both of them. It was WAY too much and honestly that made it hard to buy into and believe. I liked them both, but Garrett was who I was more invested in as he has been in all the books so far. He deserved his chance to have his love returned and get his HEA finally. In the end that happened but I had a hard time getting in to this story like the first 2. Narration was good.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 233 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.