Start by marking “Say Her Name” as Want to Read:
Say Her Name

Say Her Name

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  2,618 Ratings  ·  571 Reviews
Roberta 'Bobbie' Rowe is not the kind of person who believes in ghosts. A Halloween dare at her ridiculously spooky boarding school is no big deal, especially when her best friend Naya and cute local boy Caine agree to join in too. They are ordered to summon the legendary ghost of 'Bloody Mary': say her name five times in front of a candlelit mirror, and she shall appear.. ...more
Published June 5th 2014 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Say Her Name, please sign up.
Montgomery1213 I would say that you would be like, cool and then realize the bone-chilling sadness of what happened through the whole story. It's definitely my new…moreI would say that you would be like, cool and then realize the bone-chilling sadness of what happened through the whole story. It's definitely my new favorite novel twist and turns and on top of all that it an epic love story.
So there's the ghost in the mirror with a traumatic past life, the awesome boarding school with secret passageways, insane people, epic friendships AND an epic love story with a twist
honestly what more could you be asking for?(less)
Montgomery1213 I've been asking the same question...
I've been asking the same question...
James/Juno does have some other books including horror stories I'm going to try them my hope is they will amount to the wonders this one has(less)

Kirsty-Marie Jones
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, june, ya, creepy

No, no, no, no. The Supernatural episode scarred me for life.

----

I love horror, but I don't usually find it scary. I've read Anna Dressed in Blood, and while I do love it, I admit, I didn't find it that scary. Say Her Name beats it for the scare factor. Give me blood, gore, serial killers hacking off body pieces and It doesn't faze me at all, but give me psychological stuff like this and I'm screwed. Say Her Name is my kind of Horror, one that actually scares me.

The Urban Legend of Bloody Mary
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
North East Teenage Book Awards Nominee 2014

WINNER

5 Words: Horror, boarding-school, British, Bloody Mary.

Ok, so that was terrifying.

Let's start with the cover. Look at it. Feel a shiver of fear. Now show it to your younger sister who is living alone and easily scared and duck when she throws things at you because "I bloody live alone and that's f**king terrifying and now I'll have nightmares!".

Say Her Name was a very British horror. It's one that makes you think, it's subtle and builds slowly, t
Pang
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WHO WANT HORROR READ!
Awesome retelling of 'Bloody Marry'! This was I want for YA horror! It's scary, made me goose bumps. and a little gothic, though I think. ( I felt that way which I like ) Not only it's gore, it also have romance yes! The story is also touching at some part. I LOVE love, love this!
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya, stand-alones
Genuinely scary with a spooky vibe throughout. Is there anything better than a cursed boarding school and multiple disappearances?
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I didnt put this book down until it was complete...gripping....haunting....and the ending was to "BLEED FOR"
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A peaceful good night's sleeper
Two things I learned from this book
1 Never trust a ghost. There's no such thing as a 'good ghost'.
2 Even if there is, it gives you enough heebee-jeebees before you horribly bleed to death.
Good ghosts give you a lot less painful death, but death is what comes to you, rest assured of that!

description

Remember that scene from The Conjuring- the one with the music box chiming "Happy birthday to you" slowly until the dreaded figure appears in the mirror on the inner side of the lid? That's what I have been he
Veronica Morfi
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5/5

Say Her Name is the story of Bloody Mary, or better yet what happens when you call her. In the boarding school were Bobbie and Naya go to, the legend of Bloody Mary comes to life when, in a Halloween dare, they decide to say her name, along with a local boy. What follows is pure mayhem as they realize that Bloody Mary is actually a real ghost that will come for their lives after five days. In the mean time they all experience parts of Mary's lives. Seeing glimpses of her life, Bobbie
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Welcome to my October project – Book 5

As Halloween just is around the corner, I decided to only read books that make me think about this day one way or another during this month of October. I’ve actually been preparing this project for quite some time now, at least a few months, watching youtube recommendation videos, reading articles about the subject and dissect Goodreads for book ideas. I wanted this list to mostly fit my TBR which need to grow smaller, but I’m open as I also want to go out o
Ellen Gail
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 stars.

Bloody Mary has been scaring the shit out of me since my cousin's 10th birthday party. I refused to go into the bathroom with the older girls and chant. Eight year old Ellen Gail knew better. Of course, she also got all her underwear frozen for being a "scaredy cat." But it remains one of my favorite urban legends.

So, did Say Her Name live up to its bloody urban legend roots?

Not really. It's a fine ghost story, very reminiscent of The Ring, but it's light on the scares and the carnage.
Rachel
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The single most terrifying book I've ever read. I kid you not, I'm pretty hard to scare but this one did it! I'm still too terrified to look in a mirror. James Dawson is brilliant! The most addictive book of 2014, It may only be January but it's going to be a tough one to beat...you will not be disappointed. *hides book in freezer for safety*
Melissa Chung
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Well.... I've been spoiled rotten by reading Mary: Summoning by Hillary Monahan because that duology was an exceptional take on the Bloody Mary story. This story, 'Say Her Name', was a good book. It was more of a slow burn though. There wasn't a lot of action. The story itself was a 3.75 star rating and I did like the ending.

Say Her Name takes place at a boarding school on the cliffs of a small town outside Oxsley, England. The school, Piper's Hall School is an all girls school. Our main charact
Jay G
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5/5 Stars

Bobbie and her friends Naya attend a prestigious boarding school. On Halloween Night, they are dared to summon the ghost of Bloody Mary by saying her name 5 times into a mirror. Bobbie, Naya and a boy named Caine agree to the game, as they have never believed in ghosts. After they perform the summoning, strange things begin to happen and they realize that the legend of Blood
This was an okay story, but I can’t really say that it was scary.

Bobbie was an okay character, although I didn’t think that Bobbie and her friends were particularly bright. Saying ‘Bloody Mary’ five times in front of the mirror is just stupid. Even if it’s not true, why tempt fate?

The storyline in this was okay, but it wasn’t scary, in fact in places I was pretty bored. There were a couple of interesting moments, but for most of the story I was bored, and the pace was way too slow. At 8% of the
Lauren
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read my full review (with GIFs and pretty book photography!) on Lauren Reads YA.

Say Her Name is the best YA horror I’ve read in a long time. I love urban legends and ghost stories (even though I don’t believe in ghosts) so this was perfect for me. And yes, it is as creepy as promised!

It’s a good thing reading this didn’t take me more than 2 days, because I think I would explode if I had to walk around afraid of each and every reflection for any longer.

I may or may not have turned my bedroom mirr
bells ♡
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoritos
¡Ustedes no se hacen una idea de lo mucho que amo las historias de terror y ésta simplemente fue...!

description

No sé cómo hablar de este libro sin hacer spoilers porque las cosas que más me han gustado de él tienen que ver sobre todo con el misterio que envuelve la muerte de Mary y cómo ésta le va dando a nuestros protagonistas las pistas para encontrarla.
Por lo tanto simplemente diré que el libro está, en mi opinión, perfectamente relatado y cómo el autor ha ido hilando la historia me sigue teniendo tot
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standalones, ukya
Everyone knows I love a good boarding school! Add horror/the supernatural and it's even better! (see: Monster by C. J. Skuse) Everyone in UK primary schools knows about Bloody Mary, so I thought this whole concept was a fantastic idea, but there were so many layers that I wasn't expecting that somehow turned this into a four star read! I really enjoyed the count down elements and thought the whole thing was paced well, I liked the characters and how the story builds - it was all around really we ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: blood, disappearance of a friend, death, mental health, (view spoiler)

3.5 stars.

I was pleasantly surprised by this! It's a Bloody Mary story, so I pretty much knew what to expect going in. What I *wasn't* expecting was for it to be set in England - for some reason, I anticipated it would be set in the US.

Sure, elements of the story were predictable. But the characters were fun and I liked
Ludka
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Fajnie się to poskładało w całość i zakończenie też było okej, ale w gruncie rzeczy to taki typowy amerykański horror przeniesiony do książki. No i czytało się bardzo szybko - akurat zdążyłam całość w kolejce do lekarza xD
Yvonne (bookishpanda)

I'm not sure if I'm happy that I finished this or not. I could've read at least a few pages more but on the other hand it's good that I'm done! I tried reading this yesterday night and oh my god. It didn't work! Melissa can tell you how freaked out I was - although it was probably super funny for her - it was all dark, shortly before midnight and I sat with my back to the door, only a tiny, little light was on ... and then I read a creepy scene. It was horrible!

I wasn't so sure of James Dawson'
Mari
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it

Not bad! That last part was really good!
And the bath scene with Naya really freaked me out. That was so well done omg.
This is not a properly scary book, I think, but it's really well written. Even if I'm not an easy to scare person, some scenes shocked me.
My advice is to read it in the evening or at night, because your perception of the events in the book changes a lot!
Btw Caine... He's so cute!
Lightrainbow
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Интересная история, написанная в духе типичного фильма ужасов, только для подростков. Предполагалось, что мне будет очень страшно. Но страшно мне совсем не было, пусть я читала книгу и ночью, и днем. Да, было жутко в некоторых местах, но не страшно. Меня, наверно, в книгах сложно напугать. Потому что здесь я четко понимала, что это выдуманная история, и некоторые моменты действительно ощущались как ненастоящие. Но в целом довольно любопытная интерпретация истории о Кровавой Мэри.
P.S. Читала в ор
rachel • typed truths
I was quite pleasantly surprised by Say Her Name. It was probably the most plausible horror book I've ever read, and it had such a wonderful cast of characters. I've never been a huge fan of horror books because they are often ridiculously cheesy or have rather stupid protagonists. Say Her Name managed to defeated both of those stereotypes, however, and rewrote the Bloody Mary legend in a entertaining fashion.

The first thing I want to say is that the characters were amazing and there was a lot
Liz Barnsley
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A little while ago I read “Cruel Summer” from this author and adored it, the best fun I’ve had with a book in ages, being a horror movie geek of the highest order and never before being able to get that same feeling from a novel. Now I’ve read “Say her Name” I am admittedly a little bit of a James Dawson fangirl. Yes yes ok I’m middle aged and supposed to be all grown up and stuff but really, who needs that kind of stress in their lives? Far better to remain young at heart and in action.

Say Her
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I went into Say Her Name with some reluctance. Firstly, Bloody Mary scares me. I've never managed to fully say her name in front of the mirror (how could anyone?), I covered all my mirrors for a week after I saw the Supernatural episode 'Bloody Mary'. Secondly, I'm not a fan of horrors, generally. You can see my reservations, but I was pleasantly surprised by Say Her Name, even if we got off to a bit of a bumpy start.

Bobbie and her friends are at an all-girls boarding school, it's Halloween, the
Abbie
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beware the curse of Bloody Mary. She'll drag you off and steal your soul...

Well, I don't think I'll get any sleep tonight. I made the mistake of reading this book at night, alone, during a rain storm, in front of my glass book case. At first it wasn't scary, I was mildly interested. Four boarding school teens take on an urban legend dare only to find themselves taken one by one by a vengeful demonic ghost. Not scary at all.

Ah, but then the author starts giving out descriptions about arms and ev
Mônica
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
this book is creepy (i mean, bloody mary you guys) with nice settings and cute characters but i was ready to give it 2,5 stars until the last chapter because y e s!!! (view spoiler) (rating: 3,5)
Avis Rara
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Отлично! Сложилась такое впечатление, будто бы хороший фильм ужасов посмотрела. Рекомендовано к прочтению ночью)
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, review-copy
Say Her Name is James Dawson’s modern YA take on the infamous legend of Bloody Mary. As you’d expect it’s creepy and mysterious but to my surprise it was also incredibly touching as James brings Mary to life not only as a ghost but as a character with a tragic past. Say Her Name offers something different in YA and I enjoyed it so much that I think that James Dawson should branch out and write more modern YA stories for all of the famous ghosts and ghouls!

The story centres around Bobbie, Caine a
Vicky (A Backpack Full of Adventures)
Even though I like my books to be on the dark side, I rarely find myself reading horror – but Say Her Name was a book I was really looking forward to. I loved Dawson’s previous novel, Cruel Summer (a story that kept me on the edge of my seat until the very last page), and I’ve heard some brilliant things about this book as well, so my expectations were pretty high. Unfortunately, though, I was a bit disappointed.

The author chose a brilliant setting for a creepy horror story – a lonely boarding s
  • Frozen Charlotte
  • Salvage
  • Othergirl
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • The Lost and the Found
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • The Castle
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Remix
  • American Savage (The Savages, #2)
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
Raised in West Yorkshire, James eventually moved to Brighton where he wrote for local papers and magazines whilst working as a primary school teacher.

In 2011, James left teaching to write full-time and now lives in London.

Hollow Pike is his first novel for young adults.
More about James Dawson
“Some people just shine a bit brighter than others and it's got nothing to do with what they look like.” 16 likes
“Bobbie wondered if that's how long you truly live for - until the last person who remembers you, until the final bouquet on your grave.” 13 likes